Tuning pedal pros and cons?

2»

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I can't believe there's only been one post about the Korg Pitchblack. It really has surpassed the TU-2, it is far less jumpy and 3 times as accurate as well as being smaller and cheaper (and sexier;)).
    Just try to remember that it's a fairly new product, and most players already
    have a TU-2, or StroboStomp, or another type of tuner on their board. Why
    drop $90 on yet another tuner-pedal when the one you have on your board
    still seems to work great, and is functionally sound. Hmmm, I've never really
    had any problems with my TU-2 being jumpy - maybe my TU-2 is just far
    better at tracking notes than most (or maybe it's just me) :rolleyes:.

So there are a few things about the PitchBlack that I'm like . . . ehhhh about.
    1). As I said before, do you really want to drop another $90 on another tuner.
    2). There is no pass through option (The Boss TU-2 has this option that allows
    you to play while the tuner is engaged (allowing the tuner to always be on).
    Now I don't use this option myself, but I know many players that do use it.
    3). The standard mechanical stomp-switch it uses is only rated at 5K-10K hits.
    Yes these are fairly standard switches (some last for years while others don't).
    Many builders (like Fulltone) use these type of switches, and unfortunately
    I've already had to replace a few of these types of switches (I hate doing it).

However, pedals like Boss, Lehle, Ibanez, Visual Sound (new versions) all
    have something called a momentary switch (which is rated at 10 million hits).
    Almost literally a switch to last a life-time, & I've rarely heard of one going bad.
    I truly wish more companies would use this type of switch. It would be really
    cool if someone came out with a MOD for this type of switch, allowing you to
    install it on all other pedals that have the limited mechanical stomp-switch.

Anyhow, maybe this is why no one is posting about the PitchBlack, or maybe
    new tuners aren't that big a deal to people if their old tuner works fine.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Meh, I guess people aren't up-to-date on pedals.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Meh, I guess people aren't up-to-date on pedals.

I'm sorta with Ian on this issue, and that's from a guy who plans on buying a Pitchblack. If someone has a TU-2 and it functions, why drop about the same amount on a pedal that does essentially the same thing?

The reason a Pitchblack works for me, and isn't subject to Ian's critiques (which are valid) is that I plan on running my tuner off the tuner output of my volume pedal. That way, I never have to use the switch (again, it's true-bypass, but I agree that it may not last as long). Also, if I want to hear my guitar while I tune (I prefer silent tuning, but hey, it's nice to have the choice) I just use my volume pedal to turn it up.

That said, if I was to recommend a tuner to someone who doesn't already have one, or is replacing one that no longer works, I'd recommend the Pitchblack. The accuracy issue alone is worth picking it over the TU-2. Then again, as the Korg eats away at Boss' market share, don't be surprised if a TU-3 comes along next year...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'm sorta with Ian on this issue, and that's from a guy who plans on buying a Pitchblack. If someone has a TU-2 and it functions, why drop about the same amount on a pedal that does essentially the same thing?

The reason a Pitchblack works for me, and isn't subject to Ian's critiques (which are valid) is that I plan on running my tuner off the tuner output of my volume pedal. That way, I never have to use the switch (again, it's true-bypass, but I agree that it may not last as long). Also, if I want to hear my guitar while I tune (I prefer silent tuning, but hey, it's nice to have the choice) I just use my volume pedal to turn it up.

That said, if I was to recommend a tuner to someone who doesn't already have one, or is replacing one that no longer works, I'd recommend the Pitchblack. The accuracy issue alone is worth picking it over the TU-2. Then again, as the Korg eats away at Boss' market share, don't be surprised if a TU-3 comes along next year...
    You should check this out: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/tunout.htm
    Tuner outs are not good. If you're using the Pitchblack just put it in line, it is true bypass after all.
    I actually sold my TU-2 because the bypass was bothering me as well as it's accuracy and visibility issues. It cleared the A/B box off my board and I sold it for the same amount a new Pitchblack cost. I don't think that people should be telling this guy to get a TU-2 just because they have one.