Tuning pedal pros and cons?

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
my band mate is always on my case to get a tuning pedal....i know that every pedal you have cuts down on the overall signal, so i don't want anything unnecessary in there

then again, it could help avoid catastrophe during a live show if my guitar gets knocked out of tune

but, that is why i always have a backup guitar tuned up and ready to go....what are the odds of having two guitars go out of tune during a 45 minute set??
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The BOSS TU2 is true bypass. It won't hurt your sound. I think mine is a necessity. If I'm changing guitars, I use it to mute the signal. I played a show and went out of tune during a solo. During the jam section, I tuned my guitar, thanks to this. I think it'd be a good investment for you. You never know what's going to happen...it's best to be prepared.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    ok, i'll look into that

by the way, how can i Facebook you if i don't know your real name?
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    The BOSS TU2 is true bypass. It won't hurt your sound.

no it's not.

*however* it has a pretty good buffered bypass that, when placed at the end of a pedal chain, can sort of be an aid in the whole long-pedal-chain-long cable-signal quality thing.

i keep mine out of the way by running it from the tuning output on a volume pedal at the front of my chain.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    GET YOURSELF A TUNER NOW!!!(I'd be on your case every day until you got yourself a tuner, and USED IT)!!!
    Nothing sucks more than playing a tune with someone who's out of tune - why doesn't it drive everyone nuts?

No BOSS pedal is True Bypass, they are all buffered (unless it's been modded), but about 90% of the musicians
    out there have a TU2 on their pedalboard - myself included. In many cases a buffered pedal is better than True
    Bypass. I actually have a Buffered OD Pedal near the start of my board because it buffers all the true bypass
    pedals after it. Check this out: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html
    Yes, Pete Cornish is the guy that did David Gilmours Pedalboard (and still does his stuff). He's done pedalboards
    for Any Summers (Police). Man, here's his client list, it's huge: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/client.html
    Here's his main page: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    ok, i'll look into that

by the way, how can i Facebook you if i don't know your real name?
    Michael Rotgers

Also, I thought it was 'true bypass' (we had a discussion a while back about how deceiving that saying can be with pedals today). I retract my statement.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    just be careful putting a buffered pedal at the very front if you're a fuzz user. some (most?) fuzzes hated buffered signals and sound very poor when they see them. actually, lots of overdrive/distortions behave differently with unbuffered/buffered signals.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    For what it's worth, I have a Korg DT-10 and love it.

Edit: My 1000th post. I need to play more.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    GET YOURSELF A TUNER NOW!!!(I'd be on your case every day until you got yourself a tuner, and USED IT)!!!
    Nothing sucks more than playing a tune with someone who's out of tune - why doesn't it drive everyone nuts?

No BOSS pedal is True Bypass, they are all buffered (unless it's been modded), but about 90% of the musicians
    out there have a TU2 on their pedalboard - myself included. In many cases a buffered pedal is better than True
    Bypass. I actually have a Buffered OD Pedal near the start of my board because it buffers all the true bypass
    pedals after it. Check this out: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html
    Yes, Pete Cornish is the guy that did David Gilmours Pedalboard (and still does his stuff). He's done pedalboards
    for Any Summers (Police). Man, here's his client list, it's huge: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/client.html
    Here's his main page: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/
    ok Ian, your opinion carries a lot of weight....but just cuz i don't have a tuner pedal doesn't mean i don't tune before playing and during breaks! and if one guitar sounds out of tune during a show, i whip on the other one...no good?

aahhh, i guess i should get one
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    A tuner is the most important pedal to have.
    There is always lots of talk about true-bypass vs buffered, but buffering has a purpose. Without being an electronics guy, I can predict that it serves to manitin signal integrity, and to reduce popping during switch changes.
    Most signal degradation is due to the nature of teh effect.
    Wah , for example, is a moving frequency filter, so of course there is frequency loss, that's what it is designed to do. Frequecny loss translates to SPL reduction and therefore "tone suck". A passive pedal like a tuner won't do that.
    Music is not a competetion.
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    ok Ian, your opinion carries a lot of weight....but just cuz i don't have a tuner pedal doesn't mean i don't tune before playing and during breaks! and if one guitar sounds out of tune during a show, i whip on the other one...no good?

aahhh, i guess i should get one
    I didn't really mean to sound like I was busting your balls, it's just a big pet-peeve of mine (I check tuning between every song I play).
    I think all this stems from my time in Music School - I once had 20 points taken off of one of my Classical JURY performances because
    I had one string fall slightly out of tune - Unfortunately most higher end classical guitars tend to fall out of tune quite easily from temp
    or humidity changes (typically because of the solid wood). I tuned my guitar in the rehearsal room and walked 15-steps (quite literally
    15-steps) over to the JURY room - Unfortunately my guitar went slightly out of tune changing rooms, and it basically cost me 2-grades
    because I didn't check it once I got in there - my G-string slightly fell out of tune, and one of the jurors heard it, and marked me off for
    it (jurors are instructors evaluating your performance) - in the end the best grade I could get was a C, and the juror commented on my
    evaluation sheet "tune your guitar next time!". Since then making sure "everyone is in tune" has been one of my big pet-peeves :)).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

BTW - I agree, tuners are one of the most important pedals to have - get a tuner!
  • I suggest getting a volume pedal and using the "tuner out" function.
  • A tuner is the most important pedal to have.
    +1
    Addition . . . another nice thing about a tuner like the TU-2 is that you can kill all sound with one step.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Addition . . . another nice thing about a tuner like the TU-2 is that you can kill all sound with one step.
    Yup, I use it when I switch guitars
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    my band mate is always on my case to get a tuning pedal....i know that every pedal you have cuts down on the overall signal, so i don't want anything unnecessary in there

then again, it could help avoid catastrophe during a live show if my guitar gets knocked out of tune

but, that is why i always have a backup guitar tuned up and ready to go....what are the odds of having two guitars go out of tune during a 45 minute set??
    Seriously get one. It will be one of the best purchases you've ever made pedal wise.
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    My TU-2 is the first thing in my chain. I've tried putting it at the end, in the middle, and everywhere between. In the front seems to be the best...at least with my setup. Now all I need to do is figure out a way to keep my wah pedal from picking up bad 80's music!
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I have the TU 2 tuner as well and it the most important pedal I have. I check my tuning all the time. I think a tuner is a must. I also love that I can just step on the pedal and quiet everything down if need be. Seriously get a tuner. You will thank us all.
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    StuffnJunk wrote:

There's no point have a great sound if your out of tune.
    Bands tuning up off each other on stage sounds terrible. Get one now.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:

:D I use that feature when I'm in "I think I'm sucking" mode!

The tuner is an essential item if you want to play music in a band!

It doesn't matter how beautiful the tone is when you've crafted your thousands of dollars of amp and pedal and guitar chain. It all sounds horrible when you're just a bit out of tune. Even if you have a great ear for tune, you can't always tell on stage with all the other noise going on and the tuner won't mislead you.

The Tu-2 is an all around good pedal. I used to keep it off the loop like Exhausted says, but now I have it right in line because I bend strings kind of hard and blip out of tune a lot, so I can even mute and retune a string in the middle of a song if I really need it. I've been playing some funky old Guyatone guitars and they need tuning all the time. I usually tune up between each song, especially with a tremolo guitar. Guitars get knocked out of tune all the time on stage. If a spotlight hits you, the strings warm up and change pitch. If you're outside, and a cool breeze blows, or the sun hits you, ,,,out of tune.

It also has a power out that can power other pedals on your board, too.

Disadvantage is that it doesn't have an internal mike, so if you have an acoustic guitar with no pickup, you can't tune that but you can get a cheapo Korg for like 15 dollars for that.

Any tuner pedal you get should have a bright readout, too. If it's a faint LED light, and the lights are on you, or the sun's shining, it's hard to see the readout.

Oh, and regarding overdrive after a buffered pedal. That can be true, especially with really sensitive overdrives. My TS-9 works fine after the TU-2 but my Ibanez Tube King is better before the pedal. I actually haven't figured out what I'm going to do with that lineup yet!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

• Disadvantage is that it doesn't have an internal mike, so if you have an acoustic guitar with no pickup, you can't tune that but you can get a cheapo Korg for like 15 dollars for that.
    Got one of those, too, haha
  • i'm in agreement with pretty much everyone thats posted here. the tuner is the most essential pedal in my arsenal. we play so much stuff in alternate tunings that i have to have one. also when changing guitars it mutes everything so you don't get that "pop" going over the pa when you unplug and plug in the guitar. mine is in the front of the chain and i have never had any issues with it there. i tune between sets, and if i have new strings i will tune between songs for the first several songs of the gig to make sure i am staying in tune, then i should be good for the rest of the set. sometimes i will need to tune during a song if theres a part that i am not playing. a tuner is the best investment you will ever make.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    MattyJoe wrote:

Stone also has a guitar tech who tunes each guitar before handing it to him. As does Ed, Mike, and Jeff. If any of them has a guitar go out of tune, the tech can run out and hand them another guitar, even in mid-song. The rest of us, however... we gotta do our own leg work!

I figured I'd mention an alternative to the Boss TU-2:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Korg+PitchBlack&st=

It has pretty much the same feature set as the TU-2. The one disadvantage: there's no un-muted tuning option (where you can hear the guitar as you tune). The advantages: It's a more accurate tuner, and it's true-bypass. I'm in need of a new tuner for my pedalboard, and the little Pitchblack is the tuner I'm planning on buying.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I use the Planet Waves strobe tuner. I like the pretty swirly lights, but it is also more accurate than the 5 light system.
    The only downside, is that at times it has a brain fart and just fritzes out, and I have to unplug it to re-boot it.
    It's pretty though.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Stone also has a guitar tech who tunes each guitar before handing it to him. As does Ed, Mike, and Jeff. If any of them has a guitar go out of tune, the tech can run out and hand them another guitar, even in mid-song. The rest of us, however... we gotta do our own leg work!

I figured I'd mention an alternative to the Boss TU-2:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Korg+PitchBlack&st=

It has pretty much the same feature set as the TU-2. The one disadvantage: there's no un-muted tuning option (where you can hear the guitar as you tune). The advantages: It's a more accurate tuner, and it's true-bypass. I'm in need of a new tuner for my pedalboard, and the little Pitchblack is the tuner I'm planning on buying.
    Having a tech is nice at shows. I've had techs at shows (the bassist of my band was my old tech last year). Still, it's nice to be able to tune during jam breaks or whatever. As for Ed, if you listen to Corduroy or RVM, his guitar usually is a little out of tune, kinda of funny.
    I've had the TU-2 on my board for almost 6 years now, but also I have the
    Peterson StroboStomp2 (it's one of the most accurate tuners I've ever used).
    The Strobostomp is great, but it takes some getting used to (also works great
    if you have Buzz Feiten installed on your axe). Unfortunately both of these
    tuners are very difficult to read face up in direct sunlight. I haven't found a
    similar tuner that's bright enough to be viewed in direct sunlight (I'm always
    creating a shadow with my foot so that I can read mine . . . sucks hard).

- Ian
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    I've have the TU-2 on my board for almost 6 years now, but also I have the
    Peterson StroboStomp2 (it's one of the most accurate tuners I've ever used).
    The Strobostomp is great, but it takes some getting used to (also works great
    if you have Buzz Feiten installed on your axe). Unfortunately both of these
    tuners are very difficult to read face up in direct sunlight. I haven't found a
    similar tuner that's bright enough to be viewed in direct sunlight (I'm always
    creating a shadow with my foot so that I can read mine . . . sucks hard).

- Ian
    yeah the sunlight thing sucks. i have tried to tape part of my setlist in a way to create some shade. i have also propped the tuner up at an angle so that you have to kind of kick it rather than step on it. its easier to read but much harder to do if youhave been drinking. the same can be said with a red stage light shining directly on the tuner, that makes it unreadable. in that case i just move my board.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I can't believe there's only been one post about the Korg Pitchblack. It really has surpassed the TU-2, it is far less jumpy and 3 times as accurate as well as being smaller and cheaper (and sexier;)).
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I can't believe there's only been one post about the Korg Pitchblack. It really has surpassed the TU-2, it is far less jumpy and 3 times as accurate as well as being smaller and cheaper (and sexier;)).

That's because, for years and years, the TU-2 was the only practical game in town. Then, slowly, other options emerged that were either less accurate and cheaper, or more accurate and WAAAY more expensive. Not to mention the TU-2 can power other pedals on your board. A lot of musicians got used to the TU-2 being the best tuner pedal for the money.

Korg tried the tuner pedal thing before, and lost. The Pitchblack really is a superior pedal to the TU-2, and it's currently priced $10 cheaper. But it has a lot of market bias to overcome.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I've heard terrible reviews regarding to Fender PT tuner. Anyone have experience with this?