pearl jam not into PRSs

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
just thinking about how PJ or at least mike have played just about every type of guitar over the years, but PRSs seem to be the most notable brand they have never played.....wonder why? is it cuz they are into the classic vintage shit and PRSs are relatively new school?
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Haven't seen them playing Jacksons either.
    PRS makes great stuff though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PRS makes great stuff though.

Mike Einziger certaintly thinks so
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Mike Einziger certaintly thinks so

He used to. I'm pretty sure he plays a Fender jazzmaster post-ACLOTM.
  • He used to. I'm pretty sure he plays a Fender jazzmaster post-ACLOTM.

He has and I'm pretty sure his TONE SUCKS ASS!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    just thinking about how PJ or at least mike have played just about every type of guitar over the years,

I have to disagree with you there. They've really played nothing but Gibsons and Fenders. Every once in a blue moon, you see a Gretsch or something unique, but how long does it stick around?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Sorry for any PRS fans out there, but they are one of my least fav. guitars. Don't dig the sound or the feel.
  • I have to disagree with you there. They've really played nothing but Gibsons and Fenders. Every once in a blue moon, you see a Gretsch or something unique, but how long does it stick around?

Gretsch or Dusenburg for Glorified G....Gretsch for Thin Air
    Ibanez Flyin V for Last Exit (Mike)

James Trussart Rusty Tele for Life Wasted for Stone

Other than that....not much else other than Gibson/Fenders

you are completely correct sir.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    He has and I'm pretty sure his TONE SUCKS ASS!

Have to disagree with you there. I saw Incubus last January, and they kicked ass. And his tone sounded amazing.
  • He used to. I'm pretty sure he plays a Fender jazzmaster post-ACLOTM.
    He uses both. He ditched the Ibanez ones after S.C.I.E.N.C.E. He mainly uses the PRS on songs like "Privilege". Morning View and Make Yourself songs are PRS songs.
  • moster78 wrote:
    Have to disagree with you there. I saw Incubus last January, and they kicked ass. And his tone sounded amazing.

Funny....not to name drop or anything really
    but when I was literally hanging out with him (the vh1 classic rock honors for the pretenders...i chatted with him for 20 mins at the afterparty at the taj mahal in AC)....

He's too much of a stoner to care...it's really odd...

When asked if he had a favorite guitar...."no, not really...just ones that I can play"

When asked if his PRS was no longer the sound he wanted to achieve with incubus "the look of a jazzmaster was cool, so i bought a few...they're ok i guess"

When asked if the jazzmaster was his favorite guitar..."no, i don't really have a favorite or one that I want"

When asked how long it took him to figure out his tone..."i just plugged in my pedals"

Very cool that people do enjoy his tone, for he is one who doesn't care at all (so it seems)

I personally don't like it.

-Seth
  • It's pretty cool you met the guy. I think he's awesome, personally. Sounds like hes a dick though. I know he's said that he NEEDS those pedals for his sound...if even one is missing it messes everything up. Incubus seems like a stoner band but they're one of my favs. none the less and I'm not a stoner.
  • I'm not a fan of PRS's either. Not my thing for sure. Not big into Jacksons either, but they did make that cool 12 string electric.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I HATE PRS guitars. they have no SOUL! :D they look like overpolished mantelpieces and sound so smooth it makes me want to puke.

give me a half-busted jazzmaster with a broken pickup and peeling fretwires over a paul reed smith anyday.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • he wasn't necessarily a dick....he just had absolutely no care in the world, just what you would expect a typical stoner to be like in a conversation. Brendan Boyd was extremely nice....but whats her name from the Pretenders....Chrissy Hynde.....TOTAL CUNT! hehe

Kings of Leon were the nicest (they bought all the artists that played some champagne and had a good ol' cheers...and gave me a glass to so I could join in)....and shirley manson was a pleasure.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    he wasn't necessarily a dick....he just had absolutely no care in the world, just what you would expect a typical stoner to be like in a conversation. Brendan Boyd was extremely nice....but whats her name from the Pretenders....Chrissy Hynde.....TOTAL CUNT! hehe

Kings of Leon were the nicest (they bought all the artists that played some champagne and had a good ol' cheers...and gave me a glass to so I could join in)....and shirley manson was a pleasure.

I've got a friend that met Incubus and said the opposite. Boyd was an arrogant prick and Mike was very friendly and seemed happy to be talking to him. They talked about his videos on guitar.com or some site.

Odd how people have different views on meeting folks.
  • Yeah, I guess it just depends on the day and everything. By the way, my ex's dad has a PRS. It sounds very nice but when it comes right down to it, they're too expensive! I buy cheaper guitars, not only because I'm a college student, but also because if I take one out on the road with me or just even walking around my house, I don't want to risk putting a ding or scratching it. I'd spend more being nervous about something happening to it than I would enjoying it. I've also heard they're not versatile whatsoever.
  • Brandon Boyd is so in love with himself.

GuitarHero: Your encounter with Mike E. kind of disappointed me. I love talking to guitarists of bands that I listen to (not as big as incubus of course) and hearing how they fell in love with that "one" guitar, or how they came up with their sound and realized that was it.

FWIW, I liked Mike's tone a lot better on the PRS records.

Edit: Just found this vid of him using an SG with one p90. Looks like an SG Junior but with the 61 pickguard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgllQ8l0Ak&feature=related
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I HATE PRS guitars. they have no SOUL! :D .

That's not the guitars responsibilty;)
    They may be a bit overpriced but I think they're beautiful guitars and they sound amazing. I've had one for about 4 years (a gift) and I love it.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • GuitarHero: Your encounter with Mike E. kind of disappointed me. I love talking to guitarists of bands that I listen to (not as big as incubus of course) and hearing how they fell in love with that "one" guitar, or how they came up with their sound and realized that was it.

Same here...I had to ask repeatedly "You don't have one guitar that just stands out amongst the rest"

His answer was just so dull and nonchalant that I pretty much had to walk away. What a stoner.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    That's not the guitars responsibilty;)
    They may be a bit overpriced but I think they're beautiful guitars and they sound amazing. I've had one for about 4 years (a gift) and I love it.
    I don't mean in terms of playing obviously :) I mean the way they look and the way they feel. it's almost too easy. I'm like J Mascis, I like the guitar to fight back a bit. That's the only way you are really going to feel it. Obviously it's cool that you've got a guitar you love but I just wouldn't want a guitar that I'd be too scared to bash around a bit. I don't want to treat a guitar like a little baby, I want to wring it til it bleeds :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't mean in terms of playing obviously :) I mean the way they look and the way they feel. it's almost too easy. I'm like J Mascis, I like the guitar to fight back a bit. That's the only way you are really going to feel it. Obviously it's cool that you've got a guitar you love but I just wouldn't want a guitar that I'd be too scared to bash around a bit. I don't want to treat a guitar like a little baby, I want to wring it til it bleeds :D

I hear where you're coming from. I have a good relationship with my PRS though. It allows me to beat the shit out of it whenver I feel the need. I don't baby it and we're both better for it:)

Must say though, there are a lot of douches sponsored by PRS. I agree there is a "non cool" stigma that comes with playing one but i don't let it get to me. It's an amazing instrument
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

They are very easy to play. That helps playing some things, but not others. I guess we can confirm that PRS guitars aren't for every style of music. I can see how it works for Santana-type stuff and guys that pick and play more softly. God someone playing like SRV ever got a hold of a PRS... he'd probably bend the strings off the board every time
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    It really depends on the PRS you play (each one plays different). For the most part PRS is the best of both worlds
    (Fender Strat & Gibson Les Paul) because you can easily get convincing Strat and Les Paul tones from 1-guitar.
    Try doing that with a Strat or LP (it's not the same animal). I mean shit the guy that designed the Les Paul in 1952
    (Ted McCarty - President of the of Gibson Guitar Corporation in 1950) went in with PRS for the McCarty model.
    You've just got to find your model - I hate how the Santana model plays, but I absolutely love how mine play.
    They're all different - Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Brandon Boyd is so in love with himself.

GuitarHero: Your encounter with Mike E. kind of disappointed me. I love talking to guitarists of bands that I listen to (not as big as incubus of course) and hearing how they fell in love with that "one" guitar, or how they came up with their sound and realized that was it.

FWIW, I liked Mike's tone a lot better on the PRS records.

Edit: Just found this vid of him using an SG with one p90. Looks like an SG Junior but with the 61 pickguard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgllQ8l0Ak&feature=related
    Yep, Einziger's been using that on the current tour since his hand surgery because it's easier to play. He's always said that he doesn't find guitars particularly interesting, he's more into pedals, amps and keyboards. I kinda share that view, I've never been very particular about guitars; I like Strat-style guitars, mostly super-Strats.

And as for McCready, I've never seen him use an Ibanez, or any brand other than Fender and Gibson.
  • Yep, Einziger's been using that on the current tour since his hand surgery because it's easier to play. He's always said that he doesn't find guitars particularly interesting, he's more into pedals, amps and keyboards. I kinda share that view, I've never been very particular about guitars; I like Strat-style guitars, mostly super-Strats.

And as for McCready, I've never seen him use an Ibanez, or any brand other than Fender and Gibson.

The Ibanez he plays/has played is an orange flying V. I think it's on the Touring Band 2000 dvd. If you watch Single Video Theory, I know he plays a Gretsch Silverjet on "Faithfull".

Orange Ibanez V:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pMf7QRfIs

Gretsch Silverjet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RMBu9X1u2E

I'm not disagreeing with you though... Pearl Jam use Gibson or Fender about 98% of the time. Just thought you'd like to see those guitars.
  • The Ibanez he plays/has played is an orange flying V. I think it's on the Touring Band 2000 dvd. If you watch Single Video Theory, I know he plays a Gretsch Silverjet on "Faithfull".

Orange Ibanez V:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pMf7QRfIs

Gretsch Silverjet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RMBu9X1u2E

I'm not disagreeing with you though... Pearl Jam use Gibson or Fender about 98% of the time. Just thought you'd like to see those guitars.
    Yeah, thanks, I didn't know about those.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The new PRS Mira looks like it could be a winner.

The same thing that most folks seem to like about the PRS (perfect mix of Fender meets Gibson) is what puts me off. It's like Beef and Chicken. when I want beef, I want beef. Same with chicken. I don't want to get down with a food product that is the perfect combination of beef and chicken...because really...WTF is that?

Play what you love. That's all that matters. The PRS definitely addresses a need for many players who have the wish to straddle the gap between Gibson and Fender, and the QC on those guitars is off the charts...making them a no-brainer for the same or similar money as high end Fender and Gibson stuff. for me, aesthetic wins. A strat is a strat. a Tele is a Tele, a Les Paul is a Les Paul...etc. Compromise to achieve something in between doesn't do it for me, personally.

Mira doesn't look to be of that philosophy, so I'm down to try one, and maybe even buy one :)

As for PJ...Mike and Stone could take the stage playing $150 student model import guitars and make 'em sound like a million bucks :D
  • Well, I guess that counts out my Private Stock PRS....

What a guitar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/scuba200ft/IMG_4325.jpg

http://www.charvels.com
  • Scuba200ft wrote:
    Well, I guess that counts out my Private Stock PRS....

What a guitar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/scuba200ft/IMG_4325.jpg

http://www.charvels.com
    If I were into PRS guitars...I would definitely be into that one! That and Mike Einzinger's... you have a BEAUTIFUL guitar
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    enharmonic wrote:
    The new PRS Mira looks like it could be a winner.

The same thing that most folks seem to like about the PRS (perfect mix of Fender meets Gibson) is what puts me off. It's like Beef and Chicken. when I want beef, I want beef. Same with chicken. I don't want to get down with a food product that is the perfect combination of beef and chicken...because really...WTF is that?

Play what you love. That's all that matters. The PRS definitely addresses a need for many players who have the wish to straddle the gap between Gibson and Fender, and the QC on those guitars is off the charts...making them a no-brainer for the same or similar money as high end Fender and Gibson stuff. for me, aesthetic wins. A strat is a strat. a Tele is a Tele, a Les Paul is a Les Paul...etc. Compromise to achieve something in between doesn't do it for me, personally.

Mira doesn't look to be of that philosophy, so I'm down to try one, and maybe even buy one :)

As for PJ...Mike and Stone could take the stage playing $150 student model import guitars and make 'em sound like a million bucks :D
    I agree with the beef and chicken.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V