Boom question/i hate keyboards

2»

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    - Butch Taylor's Keyboard/Piano solo in "Two Step" from Dave Matthews Band "Listener Supported" PBS is one of my all time favorites.
    I love how it starts so simple and then swells to such a great ending - Plus Carter Beauford on Drums takes everything over the top.

- Charlie Gillingham's Hammond B3 solo (1:55 in) on "Ghost Train" from the Counting Crows "August and Everything After" CD.
    It's only 50-seconds long, but it still gives me goose-bumps (absolutely wonderful, and such a simple solo - and it's not even one of my
    favorite songs - I usually fast forward to the solo and then listen back to it a few times). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gojScq957UQ
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • 88keys88keys Posts: 151
    As a pianist/keyboardist/organist, I have mixed feelings about this post. The piano lover in me wants to say that there is always room in any song for a good piano/keyboard/organ (especially a B3!) part. But the musician in me knows that it doesn't always work like that. Bands like The Doors, Deep Purple, Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer are different because the keyboard/organs were always an integral part of the band. But a band like Pearl Jam, it only fits with certain songs (i.e. Save You, LBC, Crazy Mary). But when they try to add it to songs that were orignally written w/o it, it hardly ever works (i.e. Alive).
    Camden 8/28/1998; Jones Beach 8/24/2000; Camden 9/1/2000; Camden 9/2/2000; Albany 4/29/2003; New York 7/8/2003; Vancouver 9/2/2005; Atlantic City 10/1/2005; Albany 5/12/2006; E. Rutherford 6/1/2006; E. Rutherford 6/3/2006; New York 6/24/2008; New York 6/25/2008; New York 5/20/2010
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    - Butch Taylor's Keyboard/Piano solo in "Two Step" from Dave Matthews Band "Listener Supported" PBS is one of my all time favorites.
    I love how it starts so simple and then swells to such a great ending - Plus Carter Beauford on Drums takes everything over the top.

- Charlie Gillingham's Hammond B3 solo (1:55 in) on "Ghost Train" from the Counting Crows "August and Everything After" CD.
    It's only 50-seconds long, but it still gives me goose-bumps (absolutely wonderful, and such a simple solo - and it's not even one of my
    favorite songs - I usually fast forward to the solo and then listen back to it a few times). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gojScq957UQ
    i'll have to check out that Two Step, i know i love the keyboard solo in Long Black Veil from that album

and let me say that the title i gave this thread may be a little strong.....i don't hate piano......some of my favorite bands are Phish, Dave Matthews Band, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, etc - bands that make great use of piano

but my band is mostly guitar oriented, and to bring in a keyboardist means there will be a few songs he will add to greatly, and 30 songs he will ruin, or just have to sit out.....however, if a keyboardist becomes a full member of the band, then we will no doubt shift from mostly guitar driven songs to more piano friendly songs, and it will take the band in a whole new direction

i think there are a lot of pearl jam songs that make great use of piano in the studio, but boom playing live on RITFW and Alive, etc adds a cheesy element to these guitar driven songs that i think SUCKS

so like anything else, piano is great when used properly
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    You should of saw the water flying out of my nose when I read this post
    then my work is done :)

haha, i wonder how many people only read the first couple lines and didn't bother about the rest, and thought, 'what a bitch, glad she is not in our band' ;)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    i was thinking of this thread when i was listenig to meatloaf today.
    jim steinman
    richard wright
    jpj

what's not to love ?
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I am listening to the 2002 showbox show and Insignificance is playing...the opening has Boom playing and it almost ruined the song for me...

Boom is cool on some songs-even on Save You..but NOT on Insignificance. However, he makes up for it in Betterman, from this show
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    well for the type of band we are, truth be told it really would behoove us to have two guitars and keys.....the thing is i am older (31), and have finally learned to hold back and "less is more" and silence is best for parts of songs, etc.....and the other guitarist is young and absolutely CANNOT ever stop playing for one second in any song, not to mention in between songs when we are trying to talk....then just as i have finally started to get through to him to tone it down, in comes a young keyboard player and it is just a fucking explosion of noise, and now the other guitarist turns back up in an effort to be heard......so i think it could def be a good thing, even a necessity, but it needs work and it is frustrating to work with youngers guys who are still awed at hearing their amp at full blast, when i feel i have finally learned to turn down and be cooperative....but i was the loud guitarist in all the other bands i've been in , i finally matured and now i expect everyone to be quiet like me!!!

oh, the irony...

You have my deepest sympathies, man. I used to look at it like those old westerns when they are trying to tame a bucking bronco. Very frustrating.
    The only thing that keeps you sane is knowing that we all went through that period and hopefully, they'll get over it sooner, rather than later. Good luck!
  • its funny that someone revived this old thread of mine bitching about adding a keyboard player

it is now 3 months later, and our band sounds better than ever, totally pro if i do say so myself, and it is thanks to the keyboard player!!

i can't even listen to tapes or watch the videos of us before we got him, it sounds so empty and shitty....of course, the rest of us have gotten tighter as a band as well

we are still loud, but that is something we are really working on....the drummer plays loud as shit, and he says he has a hard time playing softer yet still keeping up the intensity the songs need

and the other guitarist has got to buy a volume pedal....every practice he starts out so low you can't hear him, and by the end of practice he has graudually gotten louder to the point it is deafening....gotta get on his case tonight!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    its funny that someone revived this old thread of mine bitching about adding a keyboard player

it is now 3 months later, and our band sounds better than ever, totally pro if i do say so myself, and it is thanks to the keyboard player!!

i can't even listen to tapes or watch the videos of us before we got him, it sounds so empty and shitty....of course, the rest of us have gotten tighter as a band as well

we are still loud, but that is something we are really working on....the drummer plays loud as shit, and he says he has a hard time playing softer yet still keeping up the intensity the songs need

and the other guitarist has got to buy a volume pedal....every practice he starts out so low you can't hear him, and by the end of practice he has graudually gotten louder to the point it is deafening....gotta get on his case tonight!!
    I wasn't trying to bitch about Boom...just that it some of the songs sounded bad with it...others were totally cool with it
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    ....the drummer plays loud as shit, and he says he has a hard time playing softer yet still keeping up the intensity the songs need
    Maybe ask your drummer to try some lighter sticks . . . they'll allow him to hit things just
    as hard as he always did, but there won't be quite as much volume behind his hits.

I use to play with a very heavy hitter - One rehersal I just broke down and brought him
    some lighter sticks, pair of brushes, & a pair of ProMark Rods - kind of my way of saying
    "please try these tonight" - and he was actually happy someone bought him stuff to try.
  • I wasn't trying to bitch about Boom...just that it some of the songs sounded bad with it...others were totally cool with it
    no, I mean I was bitching about Boom, and bitching about my band adding keys....not anymore! (but i'll still bitch about Boom on occasion)

and our drummer bought the lightest sticks possible, its a bit better but still loud....he is one of my oldest and closests friends, i think he is somewhat hard of hearing, cuz he talks loud too, you can hear him from down the block....even my deaf ass dad who can't hear shit says that this guy talks loud! so, his drumming is reflective of his overall volume issue
  • Maybe try brushs?
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    no, I mean I was bitching about Boom, and bitching about my band adding keys....not anymore! (but i'll still bitch about Boom on occasion)

and our drummer bought the lightest sticks possible, its a bit better but still loud....he is one of my oldest and closests friends, i think he is somewhat hard of hearing, cuz he talks loud too, you can hear him from down the block....even my deaf ass dad who can't hear shit says that this guy talks loud! so, his drumming is reflective of his overall volume issue
    Give him a pair of ProMark Thunder Rods (for hard hitters):
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProMark-Thunder-Rod-Sticks?sku=443403
    Or maybe ProMark Lightning Rods, or Hot Rods:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=promark+rods&st=
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    I'm okay with the organ, as long as they stay away from horns.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Give him a pair of ProMark Thunder Rods (for hard hitters):
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProMark-Thunder-Rod-Sticks?sku=443403
    Or maybe ProMark Lightning Rods, or Hot Rods:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=promark+rods&st=
    thanks, i'll check those out