What bands are really good for musicians?

2»

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    moster78 wrote:
    I get inspired when I listen to him, then when I try to play it, very discouraged. He was beyond talented, thats for sure.

Gotta take it slow with his chops. Learn his stuff in tiny sections...maybe even 4 bars at a time...and then work up to putting it all together. The guy was a totally underrated guitarist...a monster player.

I don't remember the story, but I think that he made a name for himself in LA as a guitar player long before he started singing his own stuff.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    enharmonic wrote:
    Gotta take it slow with his chops. Learn his stuff in tiny sections...maybe even 4 bars at a time...and then work up to putting it all together. The guy was a totally underrated guitarist...a monster player.

I don't remember the story, but I think that he made a name for himself in LA as a guitar player long before he started singing his own stuff.

Yeah, thats my approach to it. At the moment I'm so proud of myself for learning the next two or three chords to "Lover You Should've Come Over." He did play in LA for awhile before coming to NY and making it after playing a concert celebrating his father's music. If you're a Jeff fan, I highly recommend reading "Dream Brother" by David Browne. Great book about both his and his fathers lives. The parallels are really amazing.
  • PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    the unseen wrote:
    wes montgomery
    barney kessell
    kenny burrell
    joe pass
    jim hall
    erik skye
    fareed haque
    michael kelsey
    the abb

Kick ass, another Wes fan, I was about to post him but someone beat me to it.0 Sundown anyone?

I'll probably get impaled but No Rain aside, Blind Melon had some amazing instrumental parts. No Rain is really their worst song.
  • awakeawake Posts: 35
    don't forget Chick Chorea's electric band, Dave Weckle on Drums + John Pattituci on Bass, you won't find a more talented rythm section anywhere, the kind that make you want to put all of your gear on Ebay.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    awake wrote:
    don't forget Chick Chorea's electric band, Dave Weckle on Drums + John Pattituci on Bass, you won't find a more talented rythm section anywhere, the kind that make you want to put all of your gear on Ebay.

their akoustic version is also pretty sick.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    enharmonic wrote:
    Candiria...'nuff said
    someone played me a song of theirs once....the drums were like jazz on acid at 300mph...friggin incredible.

Mr. Bungle also comes to mind....controlled chaos
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    The Grateful Dead,

I can't believe they were overlooked thus far...
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    radiohead
    grateful dead
    pink floyd
    phish
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • res pervres perv Posts: 20
    zeppelin - page and bonham for obvious reasons..and JPJ who could play any instrument

the who-entwistle is a beast and keith moon is insane behind the kit. townsend wasnt to shabby on the geetar but his writing made up anything he lacked.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    radiohead
    muse
    Paul McCartney
    Arcade Fire
    Jeff Buckley
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • TestAment, PanterA....
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Check out this White Stripes performance from the '04 Grammys. Jack White is amazing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QY5b5VUCCRU&search=white%20stripes
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
  • The Everly Brothers- a lot of the melodies from their songs are derived from old Irish folk songs and that's a good place to start.

Definitely The Who and The Doors. Not to mention Pearl Jam...
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Shwn wrote:
    Tool, especially for Danny Carey on drums, and Adam Jones on guitar.
    Not so sure about Adam Jones although he is proficient and he has to play in Danny's time sigs! Danny Carey is fuckin' mindblowing. You guys know that on the song lateralus he is playing a fibonacci sequence? (1,1,2,3,5,8) as does maynard on vocals (black/then/white are/all I see/ In my infancy/red and yellow then came to be) hell, Maynard's lyrics are technical too!!!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    someone played me a song of theirs once....the drums were like jazz on acid at 300mph...friggin incredible.

Oh yeah...Kenny is a sick drummer, and way under the radar. He's easily as good as many of the drummers we all frequently discuss...if not better than some. I put him in the same catergory of reverence that I hold for Matt Cameron, Danny Carey, Matt Chamberlain, John Bonham, Billy Cobham, Jack Irons, and Keith Moon.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Primus,
    smashing pumpkins
    rush
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    ad_rock wrote:
    i'm in for the mars volta, the police, rush, muse and tool.

*CONTRAVERSIAL STATEMENT ALERT*

led zep are great and all but page was a bit sloppy at times. his left hand was often moving much faster than his right.

True, but take away every bit of technical ability and you still have more than creativity and mad riffery. That is more of an inspiration to. Besides, how many people have picked up a Les Paul based solely on their love for Jimmy Page. Music is played by humans and there is nothing wrong with a few mistakes here and there. Hendrix was outta tune no less than half the time.
  • JerzdevilJerzdevil Posts: 59
    Hmmm, let's see...

Nobody has mentioned Yes, they're rediculous, especially Relayer.

Dream Theater is crazy, as well as Portnoy and Petrucci's side projects.

Tool rocks.

In the realm of punk, early 80s punk guys were actually technically talented and did more than just 3 power chords, like the Dead Kennedys and Agent Orange.

Primus is awesome, the way that the drums and bass come together and their guitarist knows to stay out of the way and when to shine.

Bjork is really interesting, no crazy technical shit but just the song structure, the production, the uniqueness.

Mahavishnu Orchestra is really good, their guitarist plays chords with notes on the 2nd and 14th frets at the same time really fast, crazy shit.

Basically any jazz, like Miles Davis and John Coltrane to lesser known jazz artists, they'll make your head spin.

Classical music is also awesome, composing those songs must have been difficult.

Get some good funk music too, the rhythm is awesome (start with Parliament)

That's all off the top of my head for now.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...