What bands are really good for musicians?

schnitzschnitz Posts: 4
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
By that, im asking which bands have the most technicalty and will make me go, "one day i wanna learn how to do that"
The only bands i know of like this are the mahavishnu orchestra and rush. Anyone got any others i should get into?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The ManThe Man Posts: 15
    what kind of music?
  • smcsmc Posts: 4
    phish amazes me personally
  • Elderly ManElderly Man Posts: 235
    every member of dream theater is incredible at what they do
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    afghan whigs, alice in chains are my two that im constantly in awe over.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    every member of dream theater is incredible at what they do

especially their drummer.

I would say the Allman Brothers, plus you get variety.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Tool.

311, if you can ignore the vocals.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • i agree with 311...i watched some of their wicked long DVD and they are a tight group musically...but i just can't stand the dude's voice.

i don't believe anyone has mentioned Radiohead...
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    The Mars Volta. Killer drummer. Omar sounds kinda sloppy on guitar but the stuff he's doing is very unique.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    Tool, especially for Danny Carey on drums, and Adam Jones on guitar.

Killswitch Engage- The guitarists come up with very unique ideas for that heavy of music

Slayer- Listen to raining blood, and then try to play everything as fast as they do
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Dream Theater
    Megadeth
    Jason Becker
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Cornell pwns u
  • King Crimson in any of their incarnations. Lately, stuff with Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew playing alternating notes really fast, the drummer in a different time signature on each hand, Trey Gunn and Tony Levin in yet different signatures on bass. They're incredible.

Frank Zappa's bands were incredibly complex.

Check out the California Guitar Trio. There's nobody like them.
    They play 3 identical acoustic guitars and play notes in circulation.When you here a melody, they're rotating the melody among the 3 of them, so each one is only playing every third note. It makes the notes ring longer and sounds a bit like a harpsichord. They're breathtaking live.
    http://www.cgtrio.com

If you want complicated chord progressions, try to play Duke Ellington pieces!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    King Crimson.
    Led Zeppelin.
    Tool.
    Rush.
    Cream.
    Opeth.
    Hella.
    Mastodon.
    Primus.
    Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    The Police.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    wilco is really good musically.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Mahavishnu Orchestra
    The Headhunters
    Eleven
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    muse, great cords and riffs
    placebo, very good rhythm guitar
    hendrix, should i say more?
    nirvana, dave grohl is good
    RHCP, great guitar flow and very good bass
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    Zappa's band from the 70's!!

Frank/Napolean Murphy Brock/George Duke/Chester Thompson/Ruth Underwood
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • dave matthews band
    Jack
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ad_rock wrote:
    i'm in for the mars volta, the police, rush, muse and tool.

*CONTRAVERSIAL STATEMENT ALERT*

led zep are great and all but page was a bit sloppy at times. his left hand was often moving much faster than his right.

nothing controversial about the truth. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • VinceVince Posts: 174
    I am taking into consideration that you do not need direction when it comes to the Beatles, Zepplin and the Who.

Primus - Les Claypool is silly along with the rest of the band.

White Stripes - Jack is a beast. I would put him over Mike McCready.

Dismemberment Plan - They broke up in 03', however, you should check them out. If you like Rush you will probably like Dismemberment Plan.

The Black Crowes - Their music is not groundbreaking however the members of group are extremly talented.

Blind Melon - It's a blast from the past but they have this jam, southern, grunge thing going.

The Flaming Lips - If you do not own Soft Bulletin then you're missing out. Incredible!! Their drummer Steven Drozd is a incredible musician.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Robert Randolph is killer on the steel guitar.

Zach Starky always makes me go..wow!

My Morning Jacket - There is something about these guys but they have it going on.
    “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Vince wrote:
    I am taking into consideration that you do not need direction when it comes to the Beatles, Zepplin and the Who.

Primus - Les Claypool is silly along with the rest of the band.

White Stripes - Jack is a beast. I would put him over Mike McCready.

Dismemberment Plan - They broke up in 03', however, you should check them out. If you like Rush you will probably like Dismemberment Plan.

The Black Crowes - Their music is not groundbreaking however the members of group are extremly talented.

Blind Melon - It's a blast from the past but they have this jam, southern, grunge thing going.

The Flaming Lips - If you do not own Soft Bulletin then you're missing out. Incredible!! Their drummer Steven Drozd is a incredible musician.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Robert Randolph is killer on the steel guitar.

Zach Starky always makes me go..wow!

My Morning Jacket - There is something about these guys but they have it going on.

The Black Crowes should be in thier if only for thier tone. Those guys get it.

They set the benchmark in thier genre.

I totally agree with Flaming Lips too. Yoshimi in DVD Audio is even better.

I don't know if anyone said Tool, but Danny Carey is pretty great too and I like Maynards Voice.

For slide playing Duane Allman certainly revolutionized things.

I think Ben Harper is immensly talented as well also very tone consious.
    He has defintately brought the lap steel back to prominence.

I also say BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Blues Traveler, Soundgarden, AIC, extremely influential.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • rigneyclanrigneyclan Posts: 289
    This band called Death has some really melodic and technical music

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6X7ADGWiY

I don't know if you'll like the vocals on this, but the guitar work is awesome.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Whatever you do don't listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn. Whenever I think I'm getting better on guitar and I hear SRV's version of Little Wing I just want to quit. Be practical listen to Neil Young, The Clash, The Who, The Ramones.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Ben Harper (Innocent Criminals)

Led Zeppelin & Iron Maiden
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Cream
    King Crimson
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Porcupine Tree
    Oceansize
    Candiria
    Shakti (if you like Mahavishnu/Mclaughlin)
    Jeff Buckley
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    enharmonic wrote:
    Jeff Buckley

I get inspired when I listen to him, then when I try to play it, very discouraged. He was beyond talented, thats for sure.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    wes montgomery
    barney kessell
    kenny burrell
    joe pass
    jim hall
    erik skye
    fareed haque
    michael kelsey
    the abb
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    oh yea....