Acoustic Guitar

2»

Comments

• Don't have a go at me for DP because no one has posted here for months, anyway, I just received a call saying I'll be starting lessons after christmas, also a friend was teaching me some basic stuff, and I see how much it makes your fingers bleed! but still, Im gonna carry on.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Don't have a go at me for DP because no one has posted here for months, anyway, I just received a call saying I'll be starting lessons after christmas, also a friend was teaching me some basic stuff, and I see how much it makes your fingers bleed! but still, Im gonna carry on.

Well, your fingers shouldn't be bleeding. Sore as hell, yeah, but not bleeding. You need to develop calluses on your fingertips to make fretting the strings easier. It takes time, but the pain will lessen and go away. Keep at it!
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    moster78 wrote:
    Regardless, its given him the desire to pick up a guitar and learn to play. That's what is important. Watching Touring Band 2000 and listening to the 2000 bootlegs is what spurred me to buy my acoustic four and a half years ago. Only took me until this June to actually start taking lessons and they've been immensely helpful. Acoustic is definitely the way to start as I find its a little harder to play sometimes.

I started around the same time... after seeing PJ in St. Louis ( the GTF from TB2000)... They played Sonic Reducer for only the second time that tour... my friend and I went nuts... what a great show.

Anyways... that's what got me started.
    There's No Code.
  • Yeah, I'm quite different from most people, I dont want to play electric/bass just acoustic, and that will do nicley.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Yeah, I'm quite different from most people, I dont want to play electric/bass just acoustic, and that will do nicley.

acoustic is definitely my favorite way to play guitar... I find it is the most rewarding. Playing live and loud with a band is great, but playing solo with your acoustic just makes you feel alive.
    There's No Code.
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    All thanks to Daughter, I want to take up acoustic guitar, I have no knowledge of guitars no guitar and I'm starting lessons soon, any tips for a dummy?

an acoustic is a good idea since dummies may be inclined to play underwater and if said dummy was using a plugged in electric in the bath or swimming pool the results could show up on rotten.com or a tv advertisement for a new line of crispy western-style bacon.

other than that the best advice to give is just enjoy playing
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • dont get a Yahmaha Acoustic, they suck so bad (the cheap ones)

my friend has an amazing Taylor acoustic but they are extreme amount of money
    check out some Washburns, their acoustics are good for the price
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Washburns, I'll look out for those, thanks for the advice.

I don't wan't to play in a band, just where I'll be travelling alot soon, I wanna take it with me, but being good enough to be in a band is what I want to be, but not in a band.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Haha! got a good hour in to freeroam on an acoustic today and I'm really getting a good feel for the guitar, only trouble is that after wards my fingers really ached, happen to anyone on there first(ish) time?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • I thought Jeremy was the easiest??
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Had another hour jamming session on a yamaha acoustic [/meh] but still its an acoustic, my fingers really ached afterwards again, but nowhere near as much.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Acoustic IS best to start with. absolutley.

Dont' learn Daughter first.

Alternate tunings should come about when you have a good basis of fundamentals i'd say. :)
    yea, you do not want to START with Daughter. It has different tuning (GBDDGG). Go for easier songs in standard tuning...i.e. Elderly Woman, Immortality, even Last Kiss

all4
  • vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    yea, you do not want to START with Daughter. It has different tuning (GBDDGG). Go for easier songs in standard tuning...i.e. Elderly Woman, Immortality, even Last Kiss

all4

Is "Hitchhiker" easy to play? Damn I wish that I heard you play that on guitar...hahahahahahahaha

Sorry, I didn't mean to start to derail another thread...I'll leave now! :D
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • lol no problem.

I'm over the aching finger stage, 10th Jan. lessons start, just need to get a guitar and I'm all set, I'll keep you posted.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Ok, right I a guitar its a black Fender DG-5
    http://www.activemusician.com/images/store/thumb/EM_OG312CEB.gif

But its a six string (cant tell how many strings the one in that pic has)

And so far I've had two lessons, one that taught me the basics and the other one taught me (wait for it) Smoke On The Water we were told to go home, and practice it because no one could do it, but I can do it easily. next lesson is on tuesday.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Good for you, Boom.

I bought a Fender acoustic in 2001 and didn't do much with it until my friend moved near me in 2004. He taught me some things for a couple of months but I didn't stick with it. This year my resolution was to really learn. I have been practicing as much as I can (hard to find time with working OT and having a wife and child) but I think it is coming along nicely. My friend is teaching me again every Monday night. It's win/win because he wants to give lessons and is teaching me as a test. It really is rewarding. Songs I am learning. "You Really Got Me." "Wild Thing" "I Want to Hold Your Hand". "Wild Thing" is a great song for a beginner because with a little practice it will really sound good.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Haha, whatdya' know? I was just about to post to say that were learning wild thing, Ive been out with the flu for a few days so I've only just started to practice.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    daughter isn't played on an acoustic. it's got some funky pickups that make it sound that way.

I don't think so? You see Stone playing it on an acoustic electric and acoustic guitar. Check out Touring the band maybe. I gotta think about it, but it definatly is played on an acoustic.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    House53 wrote:
    acoustic is definitely my favorite way to play guitar... I find it is the most rewarding. Playing live and loud with a band is great, but playing solo with your acoustic just makes you feel alive.

So true. Pearl Jam/Eddie is the reason I started to play acoustic. When the sales guy asked why I wanted to learn I told him b/c of Pearl Jam. He laughed. I hate it when people do not understand the best rock and roll band of today.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • kernowkernow Posts: 4
    I've been playin accoustics for around 20years(god I'm old!) you have to 'work' an accoustic guitar to get the best from it , but it does pay off.Stone drives out "DAUGHTER" on a lecky but probably uses accoustic amp modeller,sounds ok , but listen to a MARTIN played thru a Trace elliot amp and its a liitle different.Get good on accoustic ... then easily shred the hell outa any lecky!Good luck!
    Gimme Corduroy!