Acoustic Guitar

Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
All thanks to Daughter, I want to take up acoustic guitar, I have no knowledge of guitars no guitar and I'm starting lessons soon, any tips for a dummy?
no matter where you go,
there you are.

- brain of c
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    My best friend was given a Fender acoustic as a birthday gift from his girlfriend which he has barely touched, as much as I give him crap about it. I don't know the model number or anything, but its a nice acoustic. Can't be more than $300. I learned on a Dean Performer series acoustic, which went for about $300 as well. Decent guitar and got me started. Definitely take lessons, they're invaluable! Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Ok, I will, I can't wait for the part where I have to find tabs
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • daughter isn't played on an acoustic. it's got some funky pickups that make it sound that way.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    live it's played on an electric with a special pickup but the original studio version is an acoustic.
    Regardless, its given him the desire to pick up a guitar and learn to play. That's what is important. Watching Touring Band 2000 and listening to the 2000 bootlegs is what spurred me to buy my acoustic four and a half years ago. Only took me until this June to actually start taking lessons and they've been immensely helpful. Acoustic is definitely the way to start as I find its a little harder to play sometimes.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    generally speaking, it is a little harder and, being that you can't hide behind noise, is a better way to learn.

but yeah, whatever helps maintain the interest and drive to learn, be it acoustic or electric or whatever. that's the important part.
  • exhausted wrote:
    live it's played on an electric with a special pickup but the original studio version is an acoustic.

*sigh of relief* Thanks all for your supprt, to be honest I don't want to go on to do electric guitar (I may change my opinion aftr playing acoustic but..) I like the idea of waking up in the morning and just playing something without having to plug amps in etc. no disrespect to people who do electric though
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Stone plays Daughter on either the Fender with the fishmans or an acoustic depending on the night. I've seen video of the strat and on acoutic. It sounds a lot better on the acoustic though. That's how he does it on the album too.
    *sigh of relief* Thanks all for your supprt, to be honest I don't want to go on to do electric guitar (I may change my opinion aftr playing acoustic but..) I like the idea of waking up in the morning and just playing something without having to plug amps in etc. no disrespect to people who do electric though

I thought my acoustic would last me until the end of the year and I made the mistake of trying out some electrics at Guitar Center one weekend. I walked out the next weekend with a new Fender Strat because it was just love at first sight and play. But after playing only acoustic for months, I found the electric easier. Good luck!
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Daughter can be played on acoustic, so go for it. Don't need a piezo electric to get the same sound.
  • exhausted wrote:
    generally speaking, it is a little harder and, being that you can't hide behind noise, is a better way to learn.

but yeah, whatever helps maintain the interest and drive to learn, be it acoustic or electric or whatever. that's the important part.
    Acoustic IS best to start with. absolutley.

Dont' learn Daughter first.

Alternate tunings should come about when you have a good basis of fundamentals i'd say. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Start with Elderly Woman, much easier. Thats what I did in my first guitar lesson.
  • Nice!

I'm gonna pick up some Ben Harper stuff too, and I'll do Elderly Woman before daughter thanks for the help!

edit

also what's Yellow Ledbetter like to play?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
    also what's Yellow Ledbetter like to play?

Hard.

But then again, I've only been at the guitar for a shade under 5 months now.
  • I think YL is one of those songs that are as hard as you make it, since it's basically built around E, B and A. What you do with it from there, is your own.

But yeah, you gotta have some knowledge and a minor bit of skills to wank this one home.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    As a beginner it is easy to get caught up in playing your favorite tunes, but I can tell you it will be worthless if you can't recognize your basic chords and play scales.
    Tunes come quick once you have your basics down!
    Another thing to learn is a practice routine, get into the habit of learning and really learning it, not just playing it once or twice. I usually warm up for 10 to 15 mins, playing scales, then I go through new material for an hour or so and then on to whatever.
    There are so many details to go through you will feel overwhelmed at first, but over time you will start to get it together.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • JofZ wrote:
    As a beginner it is easy to get caught up in playing your favorite tunes, but I can tell you it will be worthless if you can't recognize your basic chords and play scales.
    Another thing to learn is a practice routine, get into the habit of learning and really learning it, not just playing it once or twice. I usually warm up for 10 to 15 mins, playing scales, then I go through new material for an hour or so and then on to whatever.
    There are so many details to go through you will feel overwhelmed at first, but over time you will start to get it together.
    It can't be said enough or understated.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • JofZ wrote:

Don't worry, I see what you mean, mabye I'm running before I can walk here, but I'm so excited about this, once I get a guitar I'll take it everywhere I can.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • On "about to give up on this". Feel like I am helping the frustrated.

Definately do acoustic first - it will make your hands stronger quicker and will get you into the rythym of the music. But you can do both later.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Acoustic IS best to start with. absolutley.

Dont' learn Daughter first.

Alternate tunings should come about when you have a good basis of fundamentals i'd say. :)

Well said. learn songs in concert pitch before fuckin with the tunings. Drop D should be the first alternate tuning to learn.

Play Jeremy (acoustic), peice of pissssss.

Verse - A G
    Chorus - F G A

Easyyyyyy and funnnnn
  • any ben harper stuff good to start with?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • oh yeah, what would be a cheap but decent guitar to start with?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
    My friends girlfriend got him a Fender acoustic for his birthday a year or so ago that he's barely touched. I've probably played it more tham him and its decent. Couldn't have bene more than $200... $300 tops. Don't know the exact model. I learned on a Dean Performer Series acoustic that I got 4 years ago for a little over $300. Good luck, but Just try everything in your price range and go with what feels best to you.
  • there are some good lower priced solid wood guitars. go to a guitar center or
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com has good prices and customer reviews of everything you'll ever need. i started with a takamine eg-240 at about $240 (has an electric pickup you don't need) but for a soliod wood i love it.

peace
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • what would second hand ones be like?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
    what would second hand ones be like?

Depends. Honestly, go to a store, any store and play what they have in stock. You'll find something you groove with.
  • thing is I've no lessons or anything, so I'd just pick it up and look like a gerkin
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • what about ben harper? Is his stuff hard to play?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
    thing is I've no lessons or anything, so I'd just pick it up and look like a gerkin

That's OK. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just go to a store, ask a salesman for help, explain that you're just starting out and you want to look at acoustics in a certain price range, and just don't go way over that range.
  • Cool, I know where my guitar store is, its below the drum store (I play the drums) I'll go and check some stuff out there.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c