Drummers Unite

2»

Comments

• eflo10 wrote:
    Good way to put it. I guess it has to do with the different styles and the amount of songs he has to play on a given night....but.....Dave had to take Krusens body of work and he made it much better (even flow, alone, breath, why go, alive and so on). Dave's take on Alive is fantastic and the fact that they re recorded even flow tells you something too. Matt is awesome too - on Badmotorfinger, TotD, and Superunknown. Don't care for him too much in PJ. His odd time signatures make the band sound so different from ten-yield, but some folks call that evolution; I call it unnecessary - but thats just my opinion.

Listen to Matt drum on the "Down on the Upsaide" record. That was his pinnacle. An amazing album.
  • By the way, Just to add a little more to this thread.

I have been playing since I was 9. I play a vintage Slingerland 5 peice kit with a black crushed diamond finish. The bass drum was a 20 inch, so I bought an old Pearl Maple custom 24 inch bass, and re-wrapped it to match the rest of the kit (Bought the wrap from DW). For snare, My main is a Drum Workshop black nickel snare, with an Evans G2 Coated head, My auxilliary snare is a Pearl steel Free Floating snare with a Remo Falams II marching head, tuned as tight as a tabletop. On the toms I use Evans G1 Coated heads, and on the bass, I use an evans EMAD head with a black remo ambassador ported front head. Evans clear resonant heads on all the toms also.

For Cymbals I use:
    2 - 14" Z-Custom Crashes
    1 - 16" Z-Custom Crash
    1 - 18" A-Custom China
    1 - 22" Zildjian Orchestral ride
    1 - 8" Avedis Zildjian splash
    1 - 6" Avedis Zildjian splash
    1 - 10" Wuhan Mini-China
    1 - 6" Zil-Bel
    1 - 14" Avedis Zildjian New Beat Hi-Hats

And to think I use a Sabian case for all those cymbals! (hey you gotta buy what's on sale when it comes to things like that)

I use a DW 5000 series 2-legged hi-hat stand, and a Pearl Power Shifter II chain drive double pedal

I only use Vater 5B sticks.
  • awesome thread. awesome. its interesting that no one has placed 'jimmy chamberlin' in the 'my favourite drummers' catergory. i think he rules. he performed a drum clinic in a place called colchester (england) last year and it was immense. him, moon, bonham, pasillas (incubus-really underated) dave a and mr cameron are personal heroes.

in terms of 'whose better' matt or dave a, i think matt maybe a better all round drummer, but dave a was more suited to pearl jam-especially ten-vs vitalogy era. therefore when matt plays songs from this period, people sometimes question him....however, if dave a played songs from binaural onwards, people would be saying 'its not the same without matt'. it shows that drummers influence bands!

i enjoy playing along to several pj tracks, in terms of imitation; i dont tend to copy exactly(time factor plus no drum tabs anywhere) but regardless im more of a dave a even flow than a matt c! other favourite pj 'play alongs' jeremy, alive, why go, animal, rvm, corduroy, dte, gone.

by the way, how cool is matt cam!
    'we were coming close to being on lunchboxes'- e.v 2000
  • All of Pearl Jam's drummers were solid in their own ways, and only in their own ways. As mol.cameron said you can't recreate dave a's drumming styles without him, but the same goes for Jack's solid beats and Matt's insane solos in songs.

On to other drum things, I recently picked up a Zildjian 20" A Custom Flat Top Ride and a Zildjian 8" Oriental Trash Splash. All and all im pretty impressed with the splash. Gives a nice little trashy accent where needed. The ride has left me with mixed feelings so far. Its a nice flat ride, don't get me wrong, but there may be too many lows and not enough highs in it. Maybe it just hasn't worked out with the music because they're the wrong songs. Still, its a quality cymbal. Actually these are only my second and third Zildjian cymbals. Have all Sabians, figured I'd switch up a bit.
    "Ok... if I smoke a joint Pittsburgh will soon be my favorite place on the planet. Somebody throw up a lighter come on. Ok we got the lighter. And this is a Marlboro Light, what kind of fucker..."
    -EV

http://www.petitiononline.com/keeppens/petition.html
    HELP KEEP THE PENS IN PITTSBURGH
  • I used to play a 70's Rogers set that was my Dads. For the past 2 years i've been playing a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit..........I love it!!! Using Paiste 502 cymbals not real expensive but they sound pretty good. Pearl eliminator kick pedal. Playing in a band now........PJ songs we do are......... I Got Id, Alive, Release, Ledbetter, Betterman, Porch, Given to Fly, LUKIN, Rearviewmirror where we do a Born to Run/Baba O'Riley thing in the middle, plus Last Kiss, Crown of Thorns. About time there is a thread for drummers..........hahaha

Influences: Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, Keith Moon, Tommy Lee
    "Drumming is my madness" - Ringo Starr
  • zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    by Pearl Jam?

well i've been playing Evenflow for a while now, pretty much got it down, i love it, its hella fun.

I'm challenging myself to learn all the songs from Ten since i find myself listening to that CD the most out of all of their albums.
    sofar I can play Once, Evenflow, Alive, Why Go, Black, Jeremy fine (along with the CD player that is) havent tried the others except Porch.. kinda having a little bit of a prob there but i'll get it. all that matters is that i'm having fun right?

rock on brothers
    um and sister, im a sister not a brother
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • pattystu wrote:
    Ok this page is genius. Anyway I totally agree with how the drivers seemed to be a bit ignored. If anyone can show me a good site for tuning drums I'd really appreciate it.

Grab a six pack and head over to http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

I started a long time ago when I went to my cousins house and banged away on his export. Two weeks later bought a CB700 5 piece for myself. During the late 80's expanded it into an 11 piece with 6 Paiste 200 series cymbals and a Zildjian chinaboy. During early 90's stripped it back to a 6 piece with 5 cymbals. Now I have a Tama Superstar 6 piece with a mix of Paiste Dimensions and 2002's, Wuhan Chinas with Sabian AAXcelerator hats. I use Pearl Double Eliminator pedals and Pearl Roadpro seat.All Evans heads (EC2 over G1 clears and Emad for the bass drum). I will eventually get a starclassic.

Influences: John Bonham, Keith Moon, Danny Carey, Dave A, Josh Freese, Nick Menza, Mike Bordin,Dave Lombardo, Charlie Benante, Jack Irons....

Favorite PJ drumming is probably studio version of In My Tree
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    zelda4ever wrote:
    whats your favorite song according to drums

i love playing the original dave version of SOLAT, hihat/cymbal timing and all.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    its interesting that no one has placed 'jimmy chamberlin' in the 'my favourite drummers' catergory. i think he rules.

i was about to say the same thing. jimmy is one tight playing bastard. a great musician.

i always wondered what PJ would sound like with Jimmy!
    but dave a was more suited to pearl jam-especially ten-vs vitalogy era. therefore when matt plays songs from this period, people sometimes question him....however, if dave a played songs from binaural onwards, people would be saying 'its not the same without matt'. it shows that drummers influence bands!

i'm glad I found this thread! very good to see people with the same opinions as me... for once. :)
  • I play drums for six years now. I used to play piano (my dad is a piano player) but drums were always appealing to me. I was persistenly drumming with kitchen cook-stoves and then someday dad suggested that I trade them with real sticks and got me drum set (at first there was some hasitation, because I was entering puberty and I'm a girl so my parents thought it might be a temporary thing).
    I still play on this first kit, TAMA fibrestar, pretty old, but it's ok for me. The sound is great, especially the tom-toms! Cymbals are Sabian, drumheads: Remo. I'm not picky about sticks, I mostly play VIC firth 5B.
    My absolute favourite drummer: Manu Katche.
    Of course hands down for all of the Pearl Jam drummers ;)
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022