Drummers Unite

Stardog ChampionStardog Champion Posts: 19
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I always see guitar stuff on here. Whether its bass, electric, acoustic, or whatever it's still ALL guitar. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I just thought us beat keepers need some love too. I mean we're always in the back of the stage and on tv the cameras never really look at us (VH1 storytellers.... saw Matt like three times playing?). And unless your a true fan of the band do you really know the name of the drummer? I think not.

So this is the thread for us drummers. What sets do you like? How many peices? Snares? What kind of cymbals do u play? Who are your drumming idols? Anything drum related please talk. Hell, even if you don't play what kind of sounds do u like us to make?
"Ok... if I smoke a joint Pittsburgh will soon be my favorite place on the planet. Somebody throw up a lighter come on. Ok we got the lighter. And this is a Marlboro Light, what kind of fucker..."
-EV

http://www.petitiononline.com/keeppens/petition.html
HELP KEEP THE PENS IN PITTSBURGH
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Number 18Number 18 Posts: 132
    Great thread, man. I've been playing for fifteen years. I LOVE DW kits, but I also like Yamaha. I have an old Stage Custom before they became Yamaha's entry level line. I play mostly Zildjian A Custom.

Alex Van Halen was the first drummer that awed me. Since then I've liked Mike Portnoy, Scott Phillips, Jukka Nevalainen, Carter Beauford, Chad Gracey, and even Lars Ulrich. Pearl Jam's drummers have always been great. I love Matt Cameron and have since his Soundgarden days - especially when he jammed with Spoonman.

So anyways, thinking about getting a new kit...any suggestions?
  • peachbonepeachbone Posts: 7
    The first real kit I ever had was an early 80's Tama RockStar, I think, with "power toms". Actually, it had just one rack tom, but it was like 12" deep or something. It sounded pretty good, and that was back when I didn't know how to tune a drum!

The next kit I got was a mid 60's purple sparkle Slingerland, 4-piece. I bought it at a local music store for--get this--$190. I priced individual drums with this finish, etc., on eBay and never saw a single drum sell for less than $150, so I definitely made out on that one.

Now I play a Yamaha Stage Custom fusion set up (10", 12", 14" toms, 22"x17"). I recently ordered a 16" floor tom. I was a little skeptical of the fusion set up. I thought it wouldn't rock hard enough, but it sounds sweet. If Danny Carey can rock an 8" tom, there's no reason why a 10" can't work!

My main snare is a 6.5"x14" Black Bob Pork Pie. I also have a vintage Slingerland that came with that kit.

I have an 17" A medium thin crash, 18" K dark medium think crash, 20" Z Custom Rock crash, a 21" Rock ride, and 15" new beat hi-hats.

I've been thinking of adding an 18" china, and I'd like to get a 24" kick drum.

I don't know if this is too dorky, but I play Evans white coated heads, too. Genera G2s for my toms, power center snare, and EQ4 on my bass drum.

Somehow I think I've crossed that geeky line.

My fav drummers: Matt Cameron (duh), John Bonham, Brad Wilke (Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave), Keith Moon, Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Bill Bruford (Yes), the guy for Helmet, Chad Smith.
  • My first kit was a westbury....
    I still plau drum in another band than my solo project,.
    I 'll always remember buying my first splash cymbal!!!!
    I was soooooooooo excited....more than when I bought my drumkit...
    Dave Abruzesse is my hero..no diss to the others...
    He knew how to fuck around wiht cymbals...

anyways..
    now I'm just buy myslef, I will record my drum soon on my songs...
    http://www.myspace.com/fridayzodds
    I love drumming!!!!

peace!!!

Pr
    Pierre

I live in Laval, I'm looking for some musicians to make a band. Drum, bass and guitar are needed. More songs with voices can be sent on demand.
    www.myspace.com/fridayzodds
    www.myspace.com/vignesartichots
  • Nice Thread man...
    I'm a DW guy from head to pedal I guess you could say. I used to play Zildjian A Customs, Matt Cameron got me turned on to Z Customs. They just rip through everything, they are loud and aggresive. When I made the switch my band really noticed a difference. The 22' inch custom ride is the best sounding ride I've ever played.
    My favs from this generation would be Matt Cameron(who else), Jack Irons and Chad Smith.
  • I'm also a DW player... well be it a new one. Just recently picked up a new DW set. Used to play on an old TAMA Rockstar. After playing it for a long time it just became to beat up and old and I needed a new set. Thats when I decided to get this DW for a nice prive of $2200. It had been on the floor of the Guitar Cennter near me for 6 months and they needed to get rid of it so he dropped over 3 grand off the price. Its in perfect condition, brand new and I'm loving it.

As for cymbals I play Sabian AA and AAX. Though I do like Zildjian A custom rides.
    He knew how to fuck around wiht cymbals...
    Good call. Abruzesse did amazing cymbal work in songs like Breath and Daughter. Still I think Matt is my favorite PJ drummer. Maybe It's because he amazed me in Soundgarden, but I still think he's pretty damn good. Right now I really enjoying listening to Carter Beauford's stuff. And not just the stuff with DMB, although some of it is top notch.
    "Ok... if I smoke a joint Pittsburgh will soon be my favorite place on the planet. Somebody throw up a lighter come on. Ok we got the lighter. And this is a Marlboro Light, what kind of fucker..."
    -EV

• peachbonepeachbone Posts: 7
    Stardog, I noticed your signature is a quote by Ed Ved, from the Pittsburgh show. I was there at that show! How hilarious was that? I thought they were going to boo PJ off the stage when they ripped into the Steelers. They made a nice save, though.
  • Yeah he did set off the Here we go Steelers chant throughout the place, but it was such an amazing show I don't think anyone cared that much. The Jason Bay thing was cool too.
    -EV

• zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    im probably the youngest drummeron this site
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
    im getting my first drumset for christmas and its gonna be a 5 piece.2 cymbals 1 snare and a..... um damn i forgot what the big round thing in the middle is called!anyway a few other drums i cant define right now
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
    my first drum was a practice pad for band class,his name is drummy and his best friend was a bells kit named bob

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    good thread

my first (and still only) set was a ludwig rocker series. Over the years it got upgraded hardware...DW and Gibralter. Went through the Dave A cymbal phase of sabiann AAX 13" fusion hats, 17 and 18 AAX crashes and a 20 AA rock ride. Added a Z custom dark crash after some other drummer took over for a little band we all like. I rigged my drums ala bonham and dave...mounted the 13" tom next to the floor tom. Regret never udgrading the snare...and not being able to take them with me now...someday hopefully

I learned by playing to PJ and really got into daves bassdrum and cymbal work. I tried to emulate all the funky fills...favorite is the alive unplugged diddy at the beginning of the second verse.

drummer heros: bonham, abbruzzese, cameron, c. beauford, dana carey, chad smith
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I had an Ayotte steel hoop set from 94 that was just insane. I wish a million times over that I never sold it.

I also had a Starclassic maple set that was sweet, just in a different way.

My next drum set will probably be Maryland Drums.
    whats your favorite song according to drums

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • let me get this out of the way:
    nice thread, thank you, you kick ass.

i've only been playing for.. 2 and a half years. but i've been in my first band for almost 2 years and we're doing pretty damn good.
    uh myset up is: Tama Rockstar in Rock Chrome. A Zild Mastersound hats, A custom 17" Projection Crash, A Zild 18" Med. thin Crash, uh.. old (A zild i think) ride from ebay, and a 12 wuhan crash hahaha i love that thing. pdp hardware, iron cobra db and hi hat stand.

Matt is insane, i just went to the 3rd SF show, my first PJ experience/enlightening and i'm speachless.
    Matt kicks ass, Dave A kicks ass, Jack kicks ass man, they all kick ass.

go drummers!
    we need more respect.
    man.
    freaking guitarists :P
    Uheard songs Wishlist:
    1. Black
    2. Breath
    3. Low Light
    4. Thin Air
    5. Oceans
  • zelda4ever wrote:

by Pearl Jam?

well i've been playing Evenflow for a while now, pretty much got it down, i love it, its hella fun.

I'm challenging myself to learn all the songs from Ten since i find myself listening to that CD the most out of all of their albums.
    sofar I can play Once, Evenflow, Alive, Why Go, Black, Jeremy fine (along with the CD player that is) havent tried the others except Porch.. kinda having a little bit of a prob there but i'll get it. all that matters is that i'm having fun right?

rock on brothers
    Uheard songs Wishlist:
    1. Black
    2. Breath
    3. Low Light
    4. Thin Air
    5. Oceans
  • xDanerrr16xDanerrr16 Posts: 10
    i love Van Halen. I think he is absoloutly amazingg!
    i have a Pearl drum set now...my Dad is teaching me how to play since he used to be in a rock band. I think its really amazing to play with all of these cool rock songs...:)
    *Dana
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    I've been playing the drums just over five years now. I have a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage kit--10, 12, 14" toms, 22" bass, and the 14x5.5" snare that came with the kit. However, I don't use that snare as I have two Ludwig Supraphonic snares that are way better--the 14x5" LM400 and the 14x6.5" LM402, both are aluminum and both kick ass. I have Zildjian cymbals: 14" A New Beat hats, 17" A med. crash, 18" Z custom rock crash, 21" A Sweet ride, and a 10" A custom splash (which I don't use all the time). I haven't quite figured out whether or not I like having a splash in my setup.

My favorite drummer: Tie between Matt Cameron and John Bonham.

Also, I will always feel that Matt Cameron is the best drummer that Pearl Jam has ever had. I respect others opinions on this matter, but mine will never change.

Take care everyone, keep rockin'. Drums rule.
  • zelda4ever wrote:

By Pearl Jam it would probably be Alive. My band plays it and it's easily one of my favorites because its real easy to just go off during the solo around the set and stuff.It's one of the few times people actually pay attention to what I'm doing.

Other songs I like to drum to are "Drive In Drive Out" by Dave Matthews Band, "Sick Sad Little World" by Incubus, and "One" by Metallica. All of these I play fairly often as my band plays them live alot, but every time I try to do something different. Whether it be the way I play the double bass in "One" or the way i play fills in "Drive In Drive Out," I always like doing things different to keep it so I am just a big part of the band as the guitarists.

If by favoirte song according to drums you meant which song has the best drums in it that would be pretty much impossible to me. I meran there's no doubt it would either be something by Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa, but to pick out one song is impossible. They did amazing things with their drums that have not since then been duplicated and proabably never will be. If you've never watched what these drumming legends have done please, you owe it to yourself, check them out on drummerworld. Drumming doesn't get better. Yes rock drumming today is pretty good, and while I love Cameron, Beuford, and all the other current rock drummers they can't even come close to the talent of Krupa and Rich and the other Jazz greats.
    -EV

by Pearl Jam?

well i've been playing Evenflow for a while now, pretty much got it down, i love it, its hella fun.

I'm challenging myself to learn all the songs from Ten since i find myself listening to that CD the most out of all of their albums.
    sofar I can play Once, Evenflow, Alive, Why Go, Black, Jeremy fine (along with the CD player that is) havent tried the others except Porch.. kinda having a little bit of a prob there but i'll get it. all that matters is that i'm having fun right?

rock on brothers

thats my favorite pj song

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • Awesome thread.

I don't play the drums yet, but I would like to someday very soon. There aren't too many drum schools in Las Vegas so I plan to teach myself how to play until I move to Seattle (who has a much more creative atmosphere). I know that they have drum schools up there, so I might take lessons when the day comes. My #1 influence is the great Matt Cameron, whom I was introduced to when Badmotorfinger came out. It wasn't until Superunknown (the album) that I knew that I wanted to play the drums. I really like his drumming with Pearl Jam, especially on the new album and those Even Flow solos are sick! :D

I have quite a few influences, but the major ones are....Matt Cameron, Janet Weiss (Sleater-Kinney), Bill Berry (R.E.M. - he's very underrated), Charlie Watts, Doug Clifford (CCR), Keith Moon, and John Bonham.
    aka: TwoAlarmFire on RM

06/06/03, 07/06/06

"Playing a song that hits you on that deep emotional level and being able to match that with what you're playing on the drums - that can just lift you and the song to another level." -- Matt Cameron
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    My favorite songs with drums usually end up being Melvins songs because Dale Crover's kit is mixed so HUGE :)
  • hey ebowie how's that 17" A Zild crash? I was thinking of getting a medium crash instead of medium thin.. but my teacher recommended med thin cuz he's had his for years and it sounds great. also Guitar Center didnt have any Mediums..

yeah i liked Matt Cameron's style when i first got badmotorfinger. then i was like.. oh crap, he's on this album and this one too! hahaha
    Uheard songs Wishlist:
    1. Black
    2. Breath
    3. Low Light
    4. Thin Air
    5. Oceans
  • Matt is insane, i just went to the 3rd SF show, my first PJ experience/enlightening and i'm speachless.
    Matt kicks ass, Dave A kicks ass, Jack kicks ass man, they all kick ass.

I agree. Each drummer added their own flavor to Pearl Jam, but in my opinion, Matt completed the band the best.
  • Hey, happy to see this thread! I learned to play on a Ludwig silver sparkle, my dad's jazz setup. Stuck with Ludwig for my own setup -- two toms on bass, floor tom, snare, Paiste high-hat, 17" Zildjian A Custom crash, a crappy Zildjian rock ride that needs replacing, and I still have a sizzle ride from my original kit that is so damn old, it doesn't have mark (at least one I can find). Sounds fabulous, though.

I wish my talent and career were true to my screen name, but alas, I have a crazy corporate job and don't have much opportunity to pursue music, even for fun. But I love it. I can't say I have a favorite drummer, but I love loud, heavy, pounding, almost oppressive rock. I wish I could play that stuff well -- Pearl Jam included -- but I'm better at what you might call the "indy" stuff -- funkier, nuanced, almost melodic drumming. Just don't say my playing is "feminine." Irks me! I can rock out!

As for songs, I've been playing "Low Light" lately because it forces me to count. I'm a little lazy.
    "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    hey ebowie how's that 17" A Zild crash? I was thinking of getting a medium crash instead of medium thin.. but my teacher recommended med thin cuz he's had his for years and it sounds great. also Guitar Center didnt have any Mediums..

The 17" A Med. crash is great. I haven't really owned too many crashes, as I've only been playing five years. But to me, it sounds like a great all-around crash, and it goes nicely with my Z custom. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the Med. Thin as well, just try some out in a store if you get the chance--always let your ears decide. I believe the Med. will be a bit louder than the Med. Thin--probably higher pitched as well. It all comes down to what you're after, in terms of sound.
  • pattystupattystu Posts: 1
    Ok this page is genius. Anyway I totally agree with how the drivers seemed to be a bit ignored. If anyone can show me a good site for tuning drums I'd really appreciate it.
  • by Pearl Jam?

rock on brothers

Now, on those songs, Do you play the Dave A versions, or the watered down Matt versions, or even worse, the original studio versions?

Come on guys, you wont hurt any feelings in here by admitting that Dave was far and away the best drummer PJ ever had. I'm OK with Matt as second, even as a close second, but I refuse to believe that any of you think that Matt is even in the same ballpark as Dave regarding skill, flow, and just all-out rock factor.

I dont know if I have ever heard a drummer who plays in the pocket better than Dave A did.
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    Now, on those songs, Do you play the Dave A versions, or the watered down Matt versions, or even worse, the original studio versions?

Come on guys, you wont hurt any feelings in here by admitting that Dave was far and away the best drummer PJ ever had. I'm OK with Matt as second, even as a close second, but I refuse to believe that any of you think that Matt is even in the same ballpark as Dave regarding skill, flow, and just all-out rock factor.

I dont know if I have ever heard a drummer who plays in the pocket better than Dave A did.

i personally love to play the dave A versions of even flow / animal... neither dave nor matt is better they bring different things to the table.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Now, on those songs, Do you play the Dave A versions, or the watered down Matt versions, or even worse, the original studio versions?

I have the most fun playing the Dave A version (the version on the greatest hits album if im correct?) i really like his style alot. I also love matt's style and same as jack's. And i dont think Matt butchers any of the pearl jam songs, you just gotta keep in mind that he has a different style from dave. so he's bound to play each song a little differently.
    Uheard songs Wishlist:
    1. Black
    2. Breath
    3. Low Light
    4. Thin Air
    5. Oceans
  • eflo10eflo10 Posts: 1
    Good way to put it. I guess it has to do with the different styles and the amount of songs he has to play on a given night....but.....Dave had to take Krusens body of work and he made it much better (even flow, alone, breath, why go, alive and so on). Dave's take on Alive is fantastic and the fact that they re recorded even flow tells you something too. Matt is awesome too - on Badmotorfinger, TotD, and Superunknown. Don't care for him too much in PJ. His odd time signatures make the band sound so different from ten-yield, but some folks call that evolution; I call it unnecessary - but thats just my opinion.