What is the best digital multitrack recorder?

rage333rage333 Posts: 157
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was going to buy a Fostex 16 track but went with a Yamaha AW16G instead. Still waiting for it to come in the mail though. What are your guys choices for multitrack recorders?
"when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i always thought a 4 track would be enought for now, but i wrote this song yesterday which needs probably at least 12 tracks

Vocals
    vocals
    vocals
    vocals
    guitar
    drums
    percussion
    tribal percussion
    bass
    viola
    cello
    misc background sounds

jesus yeah thats 12 :|
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • i always thought a 4 track would be enought for now, but i wrote this song yesterday which needs probably at least 12 tracks

Vocals
    vocals
    vocals
    vocals
    guitar
    drums
    percussion
    tribal percussion
    bass
    viola
    cello
    misc background sounds

jesus yeah thats 12 :|

oh shit sorry, i didn't mean to hack your thread.....
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • For a more budget option, check out the Tascam DP-01, very good recorder and a relativly cheap price. I own the FX version but I would not suggest this because many of the effects are not top quality.
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I've got the Boss BR-864 8-trk digital recorder.

It's okay and wasn't too expensive.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The best digital multitrack recorder is an iz Radar V with s-Nyquist converters.

You have an extra 20 grand laying around?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I really like the Korg stuff. Their onboard preamps suck, but everything else is pretty good. Then again, I've not met a stand-alone digital recorder with acceptable preamps. I've heard good things about the Yamaha recorders, you'll be fine. How many tracks simultaneous can you do?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    You could record 8 tracks simultaniously with 8 virtual tracks on the yamaha aw16g.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • "For a more budget option, check out the Tascam DP-01"

I had heard this 400$ recorder doesn't even have XLR inputs. How weak is that if true?

I read some musiciansfriend reviews and pretty much all of em complain about the hard drive crashing. Whats up with that?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    rage333 wrote:
    You could record 8 tracks simultaniously with 8 virtual tracks on the yamaha aw16g.

That's pretty good, I couldn't work with less than 8 tracks at a time unless I had great mics and great mic pre's and great musicians. That will give you the ability to mic up an entire drum kit for layering, or to record a full live band for demo stuff.
  • http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/241107/

K this recorder seems to have a decent amount of features. XLR, phantom power, 8 tracks, cd quality.

My problem is that this thing is 499.99
    The 1820m 499.99
    Mbox 499.99.

I am confident those computer based recorders have far superior preamps and probably recording quality. Now if we consider my previous choice was the 414 potastudio, that thing is 250$. Can I not find another 250$ US for more than twice the quality? Hmmmmmmmm

One thing I should consider is the simplicity of the 414, that was a big draw to it. WHo knows how many problems you can run into with the Mbox and more likely the 1820m. Background noise of computer, windows problems etc.

What do you guys think of my dilemma?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    computer based recording is only as good as your computer. what are you working with?
  • U have a 2000+
    512mb ddr
    80gig 7200 rpm
    windows XP

My main problem is my computer sounds like a jet taking off when I turn it on. I don't know if this is due to the power supply or the CPU fan. I can fix the CPU fan problem for alot less than a loud PSU. I Am gonna go take a look at fans on the thermaltake website. See if they have a very silent one.
    which chip is in that?
  • Athlon XP.

wanna see some wild fans? Check these out.

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025silentTower.htm
    55 canadian. 3 month in store warranty.

And this my leader for new fan. Talk about silent!
    http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/4in1heatpipe/cl-p0071SonicTower/cl-p0071.htm
    58 Canadian. With 3 month warranty.
  • well i wouldnt see why you would need that many tracks

Lead Vocals
    Backup Vocals
    Vocals (if you need to add something)
    Guitar
    Guitar
    Drums
    Bass
    Other

so thats 8 and thats a full band, if its just you, i doubt you would need more than 8 tracks
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    it appears you're ok then. reason i was asking was that digidesign has pretty specific requirements for processors etc. it appears you're ok if you decided to go that route.

i know very little about computer hardware. only learned enough to make sure the computer i spec'ed out would be ok.

http://digidesign.com/compato/xp/mbox/
    well i wouldnt see why you would need that many tracks

Lead Vocals
    Backup Vocals
    Vocals (if you need to add something)
    Guitar
    Guitar
    Drums
    Bass
    Other

so thats 8 and thats a full band, if its just you, i doubt you would need more than 8 tracks

tracks get burnt up fast. even with 8 tracks, you still end up bouncing and using virtual tracks etc. which is why virtual tracks are so nice to have on these machines these days.
  • Hey Ex,

How easy is Mbox + pro tools to use? I like the idea that it is portable where as the E-MU units are stuck in your computer.
    Hey Ex,

How easy is Mbox + pro tools to use? I like the idea that it is portable where as the E-MU units are stuck in your computer.

i found it very simple to learn. to set up and start recording wouldn't take long at all.

the interfaces of the program itself and the plug-ins are pretty straightforward as long as you have an idea of the theory behind each effect etc.

again, as long as your computer has the poop. sounds like you've got the minimum covered.

i've got a pentium4 running at 2.8GHz, 2meg of RAM, and a SATA harddrive dedicated for recording to. i think i've crashed once and i believe that had more to do with the USB interface to my PODs than anything else. i have to do some creative routing of tracks once i'm up into the 30 track area with lots of time-based effects but i get along fine.
  • Do you ever take it around with you? Or just leave it at home?
    i just leave it at home since i use it with a desktop computer.

however, if i was playing out a lot, i'm sure i'd be tracking down a laptop and recording things.
  • go with a yamaha AW16G, great great machine. Nice sound, 16 tracks, cd burner, not sure what more you could ask for on a stand alone machine.
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    rage333 wrote:
    I was going to buy a Fostex 16 track but went with a Yamaha AW16G instead. Still waiting for it to come in the mail though. What are your guys choices for multitrack recorders?

I'm assuming that many of you would want something for demo's and stuff...not something that you can record an album on?

Not trying to make a legitimate difference between the two, but there are definitely different "leagues" of gear...with stars in each category.

If I were looking for a machine that is strictly for demo use, I wouldn't concern myself with anything more than 8 inputs...or even 8 tracks for that matter. That's twice as many as the Beatles had for the majority of their career, and the most they ever had.

I also just read Billy Corgan's confessions about the rehearsals/songwriting sessions that comprised the work that became Siamese Dream...8 track recorder. Now, if Billy can do that with his wall of guitar arrangements, you can certainly get by. Plus, it will allow you to possibly get into something better than a unit in which you will be paying a lot of extra money for the pre's that you just don't need.

Just my worthless .02
  • Yah Eharmonic,

That goes along with what I said about Elephant. Recorded on an 8 track I think.

EX, What is the big deal about the factory bundle? I am probably going for the Mbox over the 1820M. I remeber alot of people saying it was definately worth the extra 100$ for the bundle. I was also wondering how much did you pay for your Mbox Canadian? How did you aquire it?

I am gonna get myself a 3000+(CPU) and that silent CPU fan I showed you to complete my recording system. I have an 80 gig HD that I only ever use 2G on so I'm not worried about that aspect. I am pretty excited about this sweet recording system. I am new to protools but have heard amazing things.
    EX, What is the big deal about the factory bundle? I am probably going for the Mbox over the 1820M. I remeber alot of people saying it was definately worth the extra 100$ for the bundle. I was also wondering how much did you pay for your Mbox Canadian? How did you aquire it?

I am gonna get myself a 3000+(CPU) and that silent CPU fan I showed you to complete my recording system. I have an 80 gig HD that I only ever use 2G on so I'm not worried about that aspect. I am pretty excited about this sweet recording system. I am new to protools but have heard amazing things.

a second harddrive is a digidesign recommendation. i have no idea how well things perform on one harddrive. i'd see how things go before i shelled out for a new processor.

the factory bundle is filled with a bunch more plug-ins. i use them quite a bit. i feel it is worth it, especially when you look at how much they'd cost to buy afterwards. i can't remember how much i paid. $650CAN or something. got it at long & mcquade.
  • SOunds good. 650 for the factory bundle isn't bad. get any sort of in store warranty on that? The long and mquade in windsor is really nice. Really high end stuff in there. I try and buy from my local shop, but things like this are often too specialized for small mom and pop shops to carry.
    i swear by L&M. i'm pretty much a VIP at this point since i've spent so much there over the years. they'll get me almost anything i want. i've been buying from the same dude now for 10 years across two cities.

i can't remember exactly how much it was since i bought it and then there was a price drop a couple weeks later so they credited me some amount.

the smaller shops here are overpriced and i find the people that staff them to be either assholes, inattentive or both.
    The big thing on ProTools is RAM. You'll want at least 1 GB, if not more. I run 2 GB, and it's fine, but I'd still like more. A high front-side buss is a really nice option, too, mine runs 800 MHz. You'd be fine with any processor over 1.5 GHz, but the motherboards with those slower processors typically have like 400-533 MHz frontside buss speeds, so double-check those numbers. I currently run everything on one hard drive (have a second drive, but it won't communicate with ProTools) and it works fine. I use my second drive for archiving, until I can get a replacement HD that will work better. And trust me, the Factory Bundle is worth the extra cash.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The big thing on ProTools is RAM. You'll want at least 1 GB, if not more. I run 2 GB, and it's fine, but I'd still like more. A high front-side buss is a really nice option, too, mine runs 800 MHz. You'd be fine with any processor over 1.5 GHz, but the motherboards with those slower processors typically have like 400-533 MHz frontside buss speeds, so double-check those numbers. I currently run everything on one hard drive (have a second drive, but it won't communicate with ProTools) and it works fine. I use my second drive for archiving, until I can get a replacement HD that will work better. And trust me, the Factory Bundle is worth the extra cash.

The big thing on anything is RAM. I spent the weekend infront of Avid Pro. Anyone trying to do video should have the damn thing packed with RAM and harddrive space. I spent the day with 264K. Damn HP. HP sucks balls. That has to be the minimum Avid will even run on. I can't believe they got away with buying that cheap piece of shit.

Reboot....Reboot.....turn on fan, get bigger fan. Throw pen through the wall, drink coffee....reboot. Turn computer off, Reboot, drink more coffee, put head though wall..... 13 hours later on a SUNDAY!!!, I've got a hell of a good looking sports pack to add to the show to day a couple practices, 8 minute blocks of commercials about 10 other packs......Reboot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.