The help! How do you get this effect? - thread!

2»

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    yeah - it's on his pedalboard (I posted this earlier):
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/goodtruant/CCFA06/Dsc01847.jpg
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • I think it's also Volume swells if it's the same solo you're talking about. There's also the univibe in there(REALLY fast chorus)
    and I dunno how experienced that guy is, but don't worry about going to get a volume pedal for that. Just use your volume knob. I remember years ago when I figured out how awesome that sounded. Great fun :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    and I dunno how experienced that guy is, but don't worry about going to get a volume pedal for that. Just use your volume knob. I remember years ago when I figured out how awesome that sounded. Great fun :)

Yeah, it is. Adding is with Delay and octave , I get this bad ass Mars Vola type thingy
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    So to get that sound... where it sounds almost like you're playing underwater, can i get that with a phase shifter and some OD?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • So to get that sound... where it sounds almost like you're playing underwater, can i get that with a phase shifter and some OD?
    I believe when he's not using the rotovibe or univibe or something mike's got his MXR Phase 90 on full speed (Love Boat Captain solo?). That'll do it. Chorus helps too and maybe some delay.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Yeah but it also sucks tone I think. If you want a 'swirling' sound and don't wanna spend bucks, I'd go with the Rotovibe. If you do have the money, I'd buy the rotosphere. As PJ&Toast said, adding some chorus and delay in there also helps but I would say flange can be subbed in but either way, you're going to get an 'underwater' sound.
    Speaking of underwater, the jam during RVM from Tokyo2003 has Ed using his ebow to ge this amazing underwater sound. If you wanna hear it, IM me on AIM and I'll send it to you. Interestingly enough, you'll be reminded of World Wide Suicide's beginning.
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Giving this a bump! This was a very helpful and informative topic, gonna give others a chance to read through and perhaps ask their own questions
  • People with rotovibes, do you ever get much tone suck? i heard they can be bad for it?
    "I dont question, our existence
    I just question, our modern needs"
    Not really, atleast for mine its not a big problem.

What settings should I apply to my rotovibe for Little Wing? I'm guesisng it would be a subtle chorus?
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    Not really, atleast for mine its not a big problem.

What settings should I apply to my rotovibe for Little Wing? I'm guesisng it would be a subtle chorus?
    HEAVY chorus. Mod it. There's a link somewhere on the threads. I posted it here. Make sure it's a SLOW chorus though(Heel position).

No I don't get ANY tone suckage!
  • HEAVY chorus. Mod it. There's a link somewhere on the threads. I posted it here. Make sure it's a SLOW chorus though(Heel position).

No I don't get ANY tone suckage!

dude, do you by any chance have the directions to mod it? mine sounds fine, but since its something that can be easily done without spending money, why not make it sound better!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • dude, do you by any chance have the directions to mod it? mine sounds fine, but since its something that can be easily done without spending money, why not make it sound better!
    It's an AMAZING mod that will cost you NOTHING and it's easy to switch back. E-mail me at panther388@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you. I did not discover this mod though. The person who did was nice enough to send it to me. I won't take credit for any of this though
    Thanks for all the help, xtreme. I think I can live with the pedal in heel position turned on full intensity. I'm still trying to find a good lead for the outro of Little Wing. I don't think the TS-9 sounds right, but then again, it could be the lack of a tube amp. Thats certainly what my next purchase is.
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    Thanks for all the help, xtreme. I think I can live with the pedal in heel position turned on full intensity. I'm still trying to find a good lead for the outro of Little Wing. I don't think the TS-9 sounds right, but then again, it could be the lack of a tube amp. Thats certainly what my next purchase is.
    Tube amp is needed and not just for little wing. They're so much better sounding than a solid state. I recommend the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...it's a very sexy and attractive amp...if I was a guitar amp, I'd be crushing on the hot rod deluxe.
  • so essentially the rotovibe/uni vibe/ all other vibes do the same thing as the rotosphere just not as high a quality? And the rotosphere doesnt have a foot controller? Im also looking for that same type of effect for when I play nothing as it seems,black etc..
    "I dont question, our existence
    I just question, our modern needs"
  • Kegzy05 wrote:
    so essentially the rotovibe/uni vibe/ all other vibes do the same thing as the rotosphere just not as high a quality? And the rotosphere doesnt have a foot controller? Im also looking for that same type of effect for when I play nothing as it seems,black etc..
    Yeah, kinda. For LIVE versions of NAIS, it's a flange effect that Stone uses at the end of the breakdown. The rotovibe is awesome but the rotosphere is better but so expensive.
    ahh yes, bump :)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Here is a littel doodle using teh Rotosphere. I've had it for a year or so now, and I really love this efefct. I only use it on a clean tone though. I find it does not really enhance a distorted sound.
    A great place to hear teh Leslie effect is on Dark Sidfe of teh Moon, the whole Breathe reprise section is played through a Leslie.
    The first pass on this clip is clean tone, then slow spee Rotsphere, then the faster speed, I think.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=812585&songID=6338756
    Music is not a competetion.
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    I'm confused. Does Mike still use his UniVibe? I heard he played either one of those Vox Univibe's from the 60's or a Dunlop UniVibe. At least this is what I heard from the earlier days (ie, "Reach Down" from TOTD). Pretty much every Hendrix fanatic plays some sort of Univibe. If you're interested in one of those pedals, I recommend the Fulltone Deja Vibe. If you're chasing the Leslie sound, I've heard the H&K Tube Rotosphere is the way to go (pricey, though!!!).
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The new "Option 5" click: Destination Rotation Single gives a great mic'd up single rotating speaker cabinet (Vibratone/Leslie) sound.

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    edpearson wrote:
    I'm confused. Does Mike still use his UniVibe? I heard he played either one of those Vox Univibe's from the 60's or a Dunlop UniVibe. At least this is what I heard from the earlier days (ie, "Reach Down" from TOTD). Pretty much every Hendrix fanatic plays some sort of Univibe. If you're interested in one of those pedals, I recommend the Fulltone Deja Vibe. If you're chasing the Leslie sound, I've heard the H&K Tube Rotosphere is the way to go (pricey, though!!!).
    He used to use the univibe but now, he uses the Line 6 MM4 option.