The help! How do you get this effect? - thread!

RVM2003MFCRVM2003MFC Posts: 75
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok... Just so everythign can be put into one thread and help out fellow guitarists.

1st off.
Im sure its Mike who does it, but he can get this spacey type effect going, heard when they play songs like Interseller Overdrive, the intro to Sad, in Porch solos and the breakdown in RearviewMirror.
Its hard to describe, but the only words i can think of are 'spacey and a warble effect'

Im going to say that its obvious that theres alot of delay used, but i want to know what else mike would use, or what you can use?
Its just a cool little effect.

Help a brother out?
- "I mean Good Charlotte are good. They just sound like someone shoved a popsical up someones ass!" Ed.

"I am ahead, I am advanced, I am the first man to borrow Stones leather pants."

Stone Gossard: Is the height of fashion. More poeple should take note, and learn from a master
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    RVM2003MFC wrote:
    Ok... Just so everythign can be put into one thread and help out fellow guitarists.

1st off.
    Im sure its Mike who does it, but he can get this spacey type effect going, heard when they play songs like Interseller Overdrive, the intro to Sad, in Porch solos and the breakdown in RearviewMirror.
    Its hard to describe, but the only words i can think of are 'spacey and a warble effect'

Im going to say that its obvious that theres alot of delay used, but i want to know what else mike would use, or what you can use?

Help a brother out?
    It's a vibe of somesort. Univibe or Univibe clone. I use a Rotovibe.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yeah - agree'd - it's a UniVibe, or something similar from his MM4.
    Mike uses both Line6 DL4 & MM4 pedals, and something like an H&K Rotosphere.
    Take a look at his pedal board:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/goodtruant/CCFA06/Dsc01847.jpg
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Now, he uses the Rotosphere and Line 6 MM4 Modeler. As for delay, he has the Line 6 DL4 delay and the AD9 Analog Delay by Ibanez. I just want to know how Mike hits a certain note in the studio version of Nothing As It Seems. I have a Fender Blender to help me get the distortion but it's an amazing sounds. Right after the first chorus and before the first big solo. It fades into the solo.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Sadly Mike doesn't use the Flender live :(:(:(:(
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Sadly Mike doesn't use the Flender live :(:(:(:(
    Yeah but doesn't Ed? Or hasn't he (I should say). I saw a picture somewhere on here where it was in front of him on this past tour.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    no, that was an amp switcher in front of ed.
  • exhausted wrote:
    no, that was an amp switcher in front of ed.
    Yeah, if Ed used the flender we'd know it immediately. The box does resemble it a little though.. when I first saw the picture that's what I initially thought but then I realized how little sense that made and got a better picture.

"Make our day"
  • As for delay, he has the Line 6 DL4 delay and the AD9 Analog Delay by Ibanez.
    Mike uses a boss DM-3/2 generally, although i suppose it is possible he's used an AD9 before.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    Yeah, I jused looked at the picture that I had saved. You're right, sorry about that one. It's a BOSS. Both BOSS and Ibanez used the same colouring.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I'm glad someone started this thread cuz I've been wondering too, especially with the "Porch Solo" example. A Rotosphere is over double what i want to spend, so i looked up some other vibe type pedals and came across the Voodoo Lab Microvibe. It received some pretty good reviews. Has anyone here had any experience with one? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Voodoo-Lab-Micro-Vibe-Pedal?sku=153500
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    I'm glad someone started this thread cuz I've been wondering too, especially with the "Porch Solo" example. A Rotosphere is over double what i want to spend, so i looked up some other vibe type pedals and came across the Voodoo Lab Microvibe. It received some pretty good reviews. Has anyone here had any experience with one? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Voodoo-Lab-Micro-Vibe-Pedal?sku=153500

I've never played with that, but I have a Rotovibe and would reccomend that to anyone. It kicks ass!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

The Rotovibe is also pretty cool. With the vibrato setting, you can get a live 'Ed' sound if you try.
    The Rotovibe is also pretty cool. With the vibrato setting, you can get a live 'Ed' sound if you try.

Like MFC Style? Can u give me an example?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    RVM2003MFC wrote:
    1st off.
    Help a brother out?
    Take a look at Mike's pedal board:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/goodtruant/CCFA06/Dsc01847.jpg
    The effect Mike uses is from his MM4 like a UniVibe.
    Mike uses both Line6 DL4 and MM4 pedals, and he uses an H&K Rotosphere.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    Like MFC Style? Can u give me an example?
    All I can really give as an example of the Roto thing is the beginning to Corduroy live. The sound kinda has a quick 'wave' sound. If you have AIM, I can send you a sound clip EASILY. my screen name is the same as the name on here (xtremehardy388)
  • All I can really give as an example of the Roto thing is the beginning to Corduroy live. The sound kinda has a quick 'wave' sound. If you have AIM, I can send you a sound clip EASILY. my screen name is the same as the name on here (xtremehardy388)
    Actually I think the MFC intro (album version) is a perfect example of what he's talking about.

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    A really good spot to hear this is in toward teh end of teh Black solo on Benroya Hall acoustic set. It's really got that HAmmond organ warble. I have my Rotosphere on lay-by, have to pay it off, cos they are so freakin' expensive.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Live versions of Ledbetter along with Army Reserve(some versions). Nothing As It Seems too.
    Bump
    I think i might pick up a Rotovibe. I have no pedals

It's awesome.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836

Wait, really?

Maybe I'm just a pedal fiend, I don't like playing without them (TS9, DS1 and wah being key). I'd start with a wah if I were you, assuming your amp has a decent drive channel.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Wait, really?

Maybe I'm just a pedal fiend, I don't like playing without them (TS9, DS1 and wah being key). I'd start with a wah if I were you, assuming your amp has a decent drive channel.
    i agree. start basic and work up to more complex devices.

"Make our day"
    Novawind wrote:
    Wait, really?

I'm definitely content with my amp's drive, though i hardly get to turn it up loud enough to really get into it. Might invest in an OCD but it's not really a priority right now. I agree that a wah is a good choice for a first pedal, but I'm trying to build a "signature tone" i guess you could say. I really like the sound of Josh Clark from Tea Leaf Green... especially in the song Garden Pt II.
    Here's a vid if anyone's interested. It comes in at about 2:00 and eh starts playing the signature riff for that song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK4Hks7FHJw It sounds like he uses sometime of rotating speaker effect or maybe a phaseshifter. This might sound a little too smoker... but it sounds like he's playing under water almost. I'm not very good at recognizing pedals.

Also, I've seen this guys pedal board in person after I met him at one of their shows, and it's the biggest I've ever seen. I'm talking Mike, Stone and Ed put together and then some. See if you can figure out what is giving him that real signature sound. All I know of his gear is that he plays an Custom Shop ES-446 and a Buddah amp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zdFEn_hrcw&mode=related&search=
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    If you're looking for a Leslie-type effect and you're not willing to splurge on a Rotosphere, don't bother. Get yourself a Phase 90, you'll love it. I've got an old Script version but those new EVH models are supposed to be pretty good. I've also got a Dunlop Univibe which I keep only because it looks cool and I know if I sell it, I won't get half of what I paid for it. Also, it nails the sound of the intro to Blur's "Tender". Nothing else, just that intro.
    Or a Rotovibe :), By the way, when did Mike stop using it?
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    Ive been trying for the longest time to nail the black outro type solo Mike does in Vegas in 2000. Is it just delay with some interesting playing technique or something else?
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
    I think it's also Volume swells if it's the same solo you're talking about. There's also the univibe in there(REALLY fast chorus)
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford