Trey=the best around?

2»

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    BinFrog wrote:

danke. i'll have to listen tonight as i have forgotten my USB cable today and can't get stuff into my player here at work.
  • ballbagballbag Posts: 69
    derek trucks.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    you know i really have not listened to trey's work very much. I don't have a warm spot in my heart for most jam bands so i kind of never really gave phish a chance and i never checked out his solo stuff.

I've heard interviews with him though and he seems like a cool guy.

I really dig what Omar Rodriquez Lopez has done recently. Some of the stuff on the new mars volta album is really cool. Espcially the third song with that latin groove and john fruscantie's solo in the background.

I think my favorite guitarist is J Mascis though. I love his solo's. Not the fastest or the best but the way he makes the guitar sound is awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I think Trey is a great guitarist, and I love his solo stuff. He puts some feeling into it, too.
    I'm by no means a "best in the world kind of guy", though, there are so many guitarists that do so many great things

I think some of the greats are in the jazz world now.
    Jimmy Bruno
    Pat Martino
    Larry Coryell

All you guys that have been thinking about lessons,,,,,, GET OUT AND DO IT! :D
    Sitting one on one for a half hour every once in a while with a guitarist can open so many doors to your playing style.

Here's the official who's_pearljam? motivational speech :) :
    Think of how much time people spend dreaming about guitars and gear and amps and sounds and things, and how many thousands of bucks in equipment you have, but don't spend the 50 bucks or so to take a half hour or an hour for some lessons to get better!
    Kind of like me! ;)

I've been playing for like 40 years now, and I just took some personal lessons from Pat Martino in Philly last fall. All the years I've been playing and you still learn new and different things. He's one of the great players in the world and makes me look like I have 7 thumbs,, but when you get with somebody like that, somethings GOTTA rub off!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

as soon as you start giving lessons - and bring it to Belgium, you can count me in for that.
  • pearlwax wrote:
    Hey Bob,

as soon as you start giving lessons - and bring it to Belgium, you can count me in for that.

I used to teach!
    I've forgotten everything by now :)
    You never know, I may just show up in Belgium anyway, though. There are a few people I want to see over on that side of the pond! I'll be over for that Leffes yet!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Don't go by the studio stuff for Trey, while it is good it does not have the same touch to it. His post Phish stuff is good, but when Phish was together and the band was connecting and he would just throw caution to the wind and let it fly that man was magical on the guitar.
    Sure he is not the most technical but he is so unique and creative, I have seen Phish about 10 times and never heard him play the same song the same way twice, sure when he improvises he can stumble a bit, but it is very rare.
    As for Satriani, Vai, Malmstein etc. they are awsome but the style is so different, almost to the point of different instruments so it is like saying that one guy is a better at the drums that a different guy is at playing keyboards. Wierd comparison I know, but that is just how I see it.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Did anyone check out the stuff I put up?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    alittle off topic but what is string-skip? saw it mentioned in a post above. sorry if this is a newbie question.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    BinFrog wrote:

thanks, I've wanted some satch for a while.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    thanks, I've wanted some satch for a while.

I tried to put in a couple of Satch tunes that had great playing but also had some feeling to them. If the stuff intrigues you, my call is to go find a copy of his self-titled CD. It's very bluesy, and one of his more 'emotional' discs. Great playing as usual, but also just a very enjoyable CD to listen to front to back. It's got a great balance of flashy rock guitar and song writing. After that maybe look for "The Extremist" or "Crystal Planet" or "Strange Beautiful Music"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    BinFrog wrote:
    I tried to put in a couple of Satch tunes that had great playing but also had some feeling to them. If the stuff intrigues you, my call is to go find a copy of his self-titled CD. It's very bluesy, and one of his more 'emotional' discs. Great playing as usual, but also just a very enjoyable CD to listen to front to back. It's got a great balance of flashy rock guitar and song writing. After that maybe look for "The Extremist" or "Crystal Planet" or "Strange Beautiful Music"

yeah, it was nice, a soft beautiful sweet quality to the runs. I love classical guitar too so I dig long expressive stuff like those runs. Satches guitar is awesome too, but I think I'd have to wear sunglasses too with the chrome boy.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    bummer.

i thought this was a post about trey spruance.
    the unseen wrote:
    bummer.

i thought this was a post about trey spruance.

Bummer...I have no idea who that is ;)
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    guitar player for mr. bungle.
    Gotcha. I know their music a bit, and I was fortunate enough to see them live. That boy can play for sure. I knew I knew that name.