Trey=the best around?

greenmosquitogreenmosquito Posts: 5
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know this is a pj forum but id have to say trey anatasio is the best guitarist in rock right know...do you agree??????????
"There was a band playing in my head and I felt like getting high" Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I agree that you're an idiot.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Echoes wrote:

save that shit for the other forums.
  • steve vai is sick
    joe satriani is sick
    yngwie malmsteen is sick
    angus young is sick (sorry had to throw him in, ive been stuck on acdc all day)
    jason becker is sick
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    exhausted wrote:
    save that shit for the other forums.

I'll post what I want, mom.

but honestly, Trey's good for jamming and that's about it. and honestly, he's better than most mainstream artists, but there are just too many that are better than him.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • "I'll post what I want, mom"

hey come on. This is the friendliest forum on the boards where everyone is pretty much nice to each other. Let's keep it that way.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    steve vai is sick
    joe satriani is sick
    yngwie malmsteen is sick
    angus young is sick
    jason becker is sick

Boy.

I'm sick, too, so I feel for them.

I hope they get better soon.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Echoes wrote:
    I agree that your a fucking homo
  • steve vai is sick
    joe satriani is sick
    yngwie malmsteen is sick
    angus young is sick (sorry had to throw him in, ive been stuck on acdc all day)
    jason becker is sick
    Trey will play fucking circles around all those dudes.
    angus-r u fucking joking?????????

speed isnt everthing...
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Trey will play fucking circles around all those dudes.
    angus-r u fucking joking?????????

speed isnt everthing...

r u joking lol!!!!
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Trolls should be banned.
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • I'll take John Petrucci
    To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Trey is amazing, and probably one of the best current guitarists out there. Mind you, I can't stand speed guitarists (Yngwie, ect.). Although, the best current guitarist is Warren Haynes.
    speed isnt everthing...

Amen. I'm sick of hearing all these 'Well he can go faster than him, or he can't go fast, so he fucking sucks'. Go tell that to David Gilmour. Or, I suppose Jimmy Page, or Eric Clapton, or Jimi Hendrix couldn't go that fast, so they're not as good as Yngwie, huh?
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • When you talk about an all-round rock guitarist you have to consider them as a rhythm player as well as someone who can stretch-finger, two-hand-tap, string-skip and wash the dishes at the same time. You also have to think, well, okay, they play at 384305435089426709586735096837 miles an hour on some Slominsky tritonal scalar workout, but are they inventive with the notes or are they just running up and down the neck? And can they syncopate a rhythm? Do they get your toes tapping with their finger tapping?
  • drew0 wrote:

Amen. I'm sick of hearing all these 'Well he can go faster than him, or he can't go fast, so he fucking sucks'. Go tell that to David Gilmour. Or, I suppose Jimmy Page, or Eric Clapton, or Jimi Hendrix couldn't go that fast, so they're not as good as Yngwie, huh?

And Hendrix could pay like lightning when he wanted, not just in chromatically embellished minor pentatonics but in the Phrygian mode also.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    And Hendrix could pay like lightning when he wanted, not just in chromatically embellished minor pentatonics but in the Phrygian mode also.

Phrygian is not all that impressive in and of itself. It's just the major scale offsetting the root by 1 note.

And to back up the original post: Trey is one of the best out there for sure. I think he has let himself get sloppy over the past 5 years or so, but when he's on he's just insane.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Two. Dorian is one. ;)
    Two. Dorian is one. ;)

Sorry, typo. That's what I meant.
    BinFrog wrote:
    Sorry, typo. That's what I meant.

...and by "typo" I mean it's way too early
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Les Claypool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    BinFrog wrote:
    ...and by "typo" I mean it's way too early

(Even still...my guitar teacher would kill me)

Somebody get me some more caffeine.
    i need to start taking lessons. :(
    exhausted wrote:
    i need to start taking lessons. :(

I started back in Oct/Nov of last year and I gotta tell ya...it's the best thing I could have done. I can't even begin to tell you how much I have soaked in so far.
    i'm guessing one on one lessons?

i'm trying to get up the courage to do it but i'm so tentative about my abilities that it's difficult for me to even think of doing.

but i know i need to.
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm guessing one on one lessons?

i'm trying to get up the courage to do it but i'm so tentative about my abilities that it's difficult for me to even think of doing.

but i know i need to.

Yes, 1 on 1 for a half hour each week...costs me $20. We are still in the process of filling in my knowledge gaps, but occassionally we touch on some more advanced topics. Take my advice and just suck it up and go!
    You've got to run like an antelope out of control
    BinFrog wrote:
    Yes, 1 on 1 for a half hour each week...costs me $20. We are still in the process of filling in my knowledge gaps, but occassionally we touch on some more advanced topics. Take my advice and just suck it up and go!

yes. i got a few names a while back. i should probably make some calls.

----
    back to the whole great guitarist thing, i have no idea. all i know is that speed for speed's sake doesn't interest me. i'm more interested in tones and textures.
    exhausted wrote:
    yes. i got a few names a while back. i should probably make some calls.

----
    back to the whole great guitarist thing, i have no idea. all i know is that speed for speed's sake doesn't interest me. i'm more interested in tones and textures.

I can appreciate both. I love a good David Gilmour solo, where he does more with 1 note than most people can do with 50.

But I also appreciate the techincal aspects of an incredible shred solo. Some do it just for the sake of showing off, but I think there are some technically sick players who have a good amount of feel. I think Satriani unjustly gets lumped in with some of the "solo for the sake of showing of" guys like Malmsteen. I think some of Satriani's stuff, even when he is flying across the fretboard, is very easy to listen to. He writes songs, not just solos.

I think Trey is another great example. That man can play something fierce, but when he does it you just get sucked in. The whole band does it. All of the sudden you realize you're just flying with them. They take you on a journey and when the jam ends you wonder what the hell just happened.
    i actually don't listen to any of the above so i'm out of my depth. you're right though about speed when it's used as more than showing off.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Well that settles it BF thanks. Right after Radio/TV/Protools/Final Cut Pro/ Cool Edit etc classes that I'm in now, I'll start lessons. I need them. I need to branch out. I understand it all I know what it is I just need to put the terminology with it and meld it together more effectivesly. 1/2 hour a week is perfect. I can pick up a lot in that amount of time I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.