No love for Jack White on here?

2»

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I don't like him.

it wasnt a personality test... i was talking about his playing and his tone.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    dunkman wrote:
    it wasnt a personality test... i was talking about his playing and his tone.
    Ohh, well I don't like those either :)
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    well thanks for sharing that... :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    dunkman wrote:
    well thanks for sharing that... :)
    Hey dunk, you asked - it wasn't meant indignantly.
    I mean, I know some people seem to love JW, but I think his tone is really
    awful, and he's also a very sloppy player - I just don't get why he's held
    in such high regard by some people for his half-assed playing using some
    really terrible gear (which he seems to seek out, and then revels in playing
    and recording with - it's crap - And I mean it's real crap (a plastic guitar,
    WTF, and what kind of tone can that thing actually have (he's even said in
    interviews that his guitar doesn't sound or resonate well, and that it plays
    like crap - he struggles with it). Is it just me, because I don't get it . . .
    Okay, it's a given that there are much better players out there with much
    better tone using much better gear - and there's also worse players out
    there as well - but then the subject was Jack.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The thing that I love about Jack White is that he's instantly recognizable. He has a really distinct style of playing that's really refreshing in today's modern music... he's pretty much doing for the 00's what Tom Morello did for the 90's. He may not be a technical beast but he's sure as hell fun to listen to. And that's really all that matters for me.

Of course, my favorite guitarist ever is Neil Young, so that shows my tastes. Most technical guitarists cringe when I say that, but I don't care if they use all the right fingerings and always have their thumb on the back of the neck. Guys like Neil and JW and, to a lesser extent, Kurt Kobain just sound the best to me. They inspire me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I agree we can show Jack a whole hell of a lot more love. In these troubling times, where REAL music is almost non existent, I seek guitar DRIVEN music like The White Stripes. Every time someone posts that they are looking for music to listen to, I recommend Jack and Meg. Many fans of live PJ should appreciate Jack's music for the sheer fact there are guitar solos abound. Another band I really enjoy for that southern rock blues sound is Black Stone Cherry.
  • I may get reamed for saying this but 99% of all good rock guitarists today exist in the Jam scene.

moe. (Chuck Garvey/Al Schneir)
    Umphrey's McGee (Brendan Bayliss/JAKE CINNINGER)
    Widespread Panic (JIMMY HERRING)
    Derek Trucks Band (...)
    Tea Leaf Green (Josh Clark)
    Warren Haynes

the list goes on
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I mean, I know some people seem to love JB, but I just think his tone is
    awful, and he's also a very sloppy player. I just don't get why he's held
    in such high regard (by some people) for his half-assed playing using some
    really shitty gear (which he seems to seek out, and then revels in playing
    and recording with that crap - And I mean it's real crap (why play a plastic
    guitar, and what kind of tone can that thing actually have (he's even said in
    interviews that his guitar doesn't resonate well, and that it plays like crap).
    Is it just me, because I don't get it . . .

Well, he has explosive energy for a start. The Under Blackpool Lights DVD makes me shit my pants with envy every time I see it.
    I think the shitty gear is about taking it back to teh extremes of basics that the early blues players like Johnson et al had to contend with.
    Like most guitar geeks, I have Robert Johnson's recordings, and the bareness of a guy in a room with an acoustic guitar is almost terrifying.
    Interestingly, I don't think Jack himself thinks that his own music is the elephant's penis, but fans do. While the WS were hyped by the press some years ago, that was years ago, and they are still popular, showing a longevity that VERY few new bands today can muster.
    Must be something about teh visceral and entertaining nature of their music that grabs people.
    Myself, I listen to music mostly when I am driving, and generally I don't play close attention to the lyrics, esp one Ed "Mumbles" Vedder, but I sing along to nearly every WS song, cos the lyrics are funny and engaging, and talk about the lives of all the little people that fuck up and get in trouble and don't make it big.
    Music is not a competetion.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I mean, I know some people seem to love JB, but I just think his tone is
    awful, and he's also a very sloppy player. I just don't get why he's held
    in such high regard (by some people) for his half-assed playing using some
    really shitty gear (which he seems to seek out, and then revels in playing
    and recording with that crap - And I mean it's real crap (why play a plastic
    guitar, and what kind of tone can that thing actually have (he's even said in
    interviews that his guitar doesn't resonate well, and that it plays like crap).
    Is it just me, because I don't get it . . .

yes i did ask, but i was hoping for a reason of some kind as to why you like him or loathe him.

you just said I dont like him... so then when you gave your reasons why you dont like him i thanked you for sharing that... and i meant that sincerely :)

i just think when people say "oh i hate him or her" and then give no reason.. its a bit....eh...vacuous i suppose.