now Ed even has one of them

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.pearljam.com/i/tourphotos/20070612/1.jpg

how insanely boring!!

get the SG back out Ed!!! :( :(
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i'm sorry. but that just looks wrong somehow.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It does look strange...

BUT there's a reason everyone has a Strat.

They kick ass!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    It does look strange...

BUT there's a reason everyone has a Strat.

They kick ass!

Or they just weigh less than a Les Paul...

Just kidding.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Who cares what he play's? As long as it sounds good in the song.

What song is he playing anyway?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ok, i get it about the sound and all that but lets say this car
    here
    was the best in terms of driveability, fuel economy, speed, comfort, quietness, etc etc etc

or

you could have this

its heavy, makes a shitload of noise, takes £100 just to drive home... but its fun to drive and looks awesomatude :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    dunkman wrote:
    ok, i get it about the sound and all that but lets say this car
    here
    was the best in terms of driveability, fuel economy, speed, comfort, quietness, etc etc etc

or

you could have this

its heavy, makes a shitload of noise, takes £100 just to drive home... but its fun to drive and looks awesomatude :)

I dont understand you're point, that first car is a piece of shit.... SG's and Strat's aint shit. :D
    chris01 wrote:
    I dont understand you're point, that first car is a piece of shit.... SG's and Strat's aint shit. :D

yeah, it was a pretty exaggerated example... :o:o:D
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dunkman wrote:

how insanely boring!!

oh noes!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Maybe he'll get a decent amp now. ;)
  • dunkman wrote:

how insanely boring!!

Has Ed been playing that a lot so far this tour? It does look strange.
    My first thought when I saw that pic was he must have been borrowing Mike or Stone's guitar while his tech was fixing or restringing one of his???
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • He played Mike's Strat at Newcastle Riverside, back in 1992, when he had a bash at My Generation. The guitar was bigger than he was. :D
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Damn, Dunkman! I wish you hadn't posted that! :(
    I don't think I'll head for London today! Trip off! No use seeing PJ now! :D

Actually, I probably would have picked the Trabant out of the two cars. :D

See you in a couple of days Fins and Dunkman! and whoever is going from here!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

excellent Bob... looking forward to meeting you :)

lets all buy a cheap guitar so you can play it and i can smash it up afterwards :)
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    dunkman wrote:
    excellent Bob... looking forward to meeting you :)

lets all buy a cheap guitar so you can play it and i can smash it up afterwards :)

haha,,, well, If I was playing, you wouldn't want to wait till afterwards to smash it up, but DURING! :D

Cheers man,,,, see ya on Sunday!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    It is kind of strange. Ed is a true guitar whore like pete towshend now. He's played strats, teles, sg's, les pauls. I wonder if he'll settle.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    It is kind of strange. Ed is a true guitar whore like pete towshend now. He's played strats, teles, sg's, les pauls. I wonder if he'll settle.

Why settle?

If I had the kind of cash flow Ed had I would have a ton of different guitars too!
    :)
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    lol, who cares? he's a good singer/songwriter, but he ain't the best guitarist. he should be ashamed to even hold a guitar on the same stage as Mike (and to a lesser degree, Stone) so I'd be surprised if the guitar is even plugged in.

not trying to rag on him too hard, I just always find it funny when a lead singer gets uppity and tries to play like the guitar gods in their own band.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    lol, who cares? he's a good singer/songwriter, but he ain't the best guitarist. he should be ashamed to even hold a guitar on the same stage as Mike (and to a lesser degree, Stone) so I'd be surprised if the guitar is even plugged in.

not trying to rag on him too hard, I just always find it funny when a lead singer gets uppity and tries to play like the guitar gods in their own band.

He writes a lot of their songs on guitar.... so even if he doesn't play on stage, the guitar parts aren't gonna be that much different, are they?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    He writes a lot of their songs on guitar.... so even if he doesn't play on stage, the guitar parts aren't gonna be that much different, are they?

to me, he adds a 3rd guitar that is not necessary for the music being played. imo (and it's ONLY my opinion) they sounded better in the old days with 2 guitars than they do now with 3.

and that's my opinion on Lynyrd Skynyrd too. I think they sounded better with Collins/Rossington than they did with Collins/Rossington/King. I just think 3 guitars is overkill unless the music absolutely calls for it, and I don't think PJ's style of music calls for.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    MLC2006 wrote:
    to me, he adds a 3rd guitar that is not necessary for the music being played. imo (and it's ONLY my opinion) they sounded better in the old days with 2 guitars than they do now with 3.

and that's my opinion on Lynyrd Skynyrd too. I think they sounded better with Collins/Rossington than they did with Collins/Rossington/King. I just think 3 guitars is overkill unless the music absolutely calls for it, and I don't think PJ's style of music calls for.

Very interesting view on that and I agree with you, except for the sounding better part. I also think the music doesn't call for 3 guitars, but the reason he's able to play on some songs and not others is because the selected songs he plays on have room for his loud, aggressive style of playing.

All in all, I'm saying that his playing is usually not needed to enhance the song, but it does make a contribution to songs like Lukin, Not For You, RVM, Grievance and such.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Maybe Ed just likes to play guitar. He usually looks like he is having fun !!

I would sure want to play if I were him. Nothing better than bashing on a git and making el bulko noise !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I hope he throws that Strat out to the crowd at Wembley on Monday, specifically to N12, Row F. :D
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I hope he throws that Strat out to the crowd at Wembley on Monday, specifically to N12, Row F. :D

Oh, it's sure to happen now. Oh yeah.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • gue_barium wrote:
    Oh, it's sure to happen now. Oh yeah.

Better than a feckin' carrot. I had that last time. ;)
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Better than a feckin' carrot. I had that last time. ;)

It's been that long? Wow. Enjoy the show, fins!

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • gue_barium wrote:
    It's been that long? Wow. Enjoy the show, fins!

Well, last time he threw something. 1993, ;) 2000 was the last time, at Wembley.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    MLC2006 wrote:

I agree that some songs his guitar work is simply not needed. On other songs, it would just not be the same without it.
    When he is playing on some songs, he does tend to drown out the other guys especially when he starts pounding out his chords.
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    that does look ackward. I don't know how i feel about that. You think you know someone. then poof. Im a strat guy myself, and i have to think he was just borrowing mike's.

But if not, im not going to knock him for it. Who really gives a sh*t. It just takes some time getting used to. However, it is nice to see a guy playing what he usually plays, kind of makes it his identity. But, he can play whatever he wants. And anyone who said it is a boring guitar is just plain ignorant.
    he uses it for Present Tense... i saw him using it at Wembley show last night!!

i closed my eyes ;)