Stone using a MESA BOOGIE?!

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://ratsound.com/tours/pj/2006leg1/images/pearljammay2006%20001_jpg.jpg

perhaps it belongs to another band? Also, what's with the bear?!
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Dunno why you sound so shocked. It's a Road King, an incredibly versatile amp which has super clean clean cleans, essentially what you get in a Lonestar, which, despite what the haters say, are better than any Fender, EL34 tones, and whatever level of distortion you might want through teh 6L6 rectifier channels, and you can flick types your different tones to different cabs if you want.
    What's not to like ??

Oh, that's right , it's a Boogie, and it's currently trendy to hate Boogies.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    I didn't mean to imply that Mesa Boogies are inferior and that Stone should be using something 'better', I've just never seen him with one before and they tend to stick to more vintage amps.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
    I didn't mean to imply that Mesa Boogies are inferior and that Stone should be using something 'better', I've just never seen him with one before and they tend to stick to more vintage amps.

Ah, I dunno, I think that is more of a perception than a fact. Are Trentino vintage ??
    They have used plenty of Marshall stuff in their time, but JCM800 is not really vintage stuff.
    Fender Hot Rod is not vintage either, just has a tweed cover, and Matchless, is that vintage ?
    They used old shit when they started cos that is what they could afford, but really, they use top shelf stuff, regardless of age.
    Sorry if I was a bit bitey, I just get a bit tired of peeps hacking on Mesa, and I'm sure you remember the abuse I copped at GTW over it.
    I'm gassing for Road King head meself. There was a choice custom one in imbuya/wicker on ebay recently for a snip, but he had sold teh cab, and I was concerned I might not get a good timber match if I ordered another one.
    Wife convinced me to custom order one with the cab, so it all matches. That sort of thing is a lifetime purchase, so it pays to get it right.
  • To me, that picture looks like an Ed pre-set, so it's probably the opening bands. Plus, you can see a short set list that is typed up next to that giant bear. Also pictured is a bass with a jazz pickup and a p-bass pickup that i don't think Jeff has ever used. So that's my guess...opening band's gear.
  • might be idlewilds bassists amp?

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
    Bass through a Road King, mmmmmmmmmm, not likely. I'm going with the support act theory.
  • Bass through a Road King, mmmmmmmmmm, not likely. I'm going with the support act theory.

ah yes, i see my error

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • To me, that picture looks like an Ed pre-set, so it's probably the opening bands. Plus, you can see a short set list that is typed up next to that giant bear. Also pictured is a bass with a jazz pickup and a p-bass pickup that i don't think Jeff has ever used. So that's my guess...opening band's gear.

Definately pre-set picture. Opening bands stuff.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    It might be My Mrning Jackets since it says 2006-Leg 1.
    Also, the drum kit is covered up by a tarp.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    And I'm 99.5% sure Matt didn't play a silver drumset recently.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    That is in fact MMJ's gear. I believe the bear is called Poochy and they're all attached to it like its their real pet
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Excellent choice, the MESA. Im pretty sure some other superbands have some of these.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    That is in fact MMJ's gear.

HAH!!!! I knew it!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    Shit that looks like my guitar.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That is a badass amp. Progressive Linkage is awesome.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Progressive Linkage is awesome.

What's this about? Tell us more.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    journeyman wrote:
    What's this about? Tell us more.

allows you to choose different power tube configurations on the fly.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/Series2-Images2006/RoadKing-Series2-RearPanel-LGcrop.jpg
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    Bass through a Road King, mmmmmmmmmm, not likely. I'm going with the support act theory.
    ooooh get you!

what a knowitall
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
    duggro wrote:
    ooooh get you!

what a knowitall

Ya know jimmy, "knowitall" is a pretty strong insult in Australia.
    I'm not sure that recognising it to be a Road King makes me a rocket surgeon. I'm mildly obsessed with Mesa amps, is all.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm mildly obsessed with Mesa amps, is all.
    Really?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Really?

Well, not to the point that I wear Mesa t-shirts, bandanas, or arseless chaps with a Mesa Lifestyle company logo emblazoned on them.
    And not to the point where I won't have another brand in the house, just to the point where I can recognise most of the current range, and a few of the older ones.
    Ya know jimmy, "knowitall" is a pretty strong insult in Australia.
    I'm not sure that recognising it to be a Road King makes me a rocket surgeon. I'm mildly obsessed with Mesa amps, is all.

nice use of the "jimmy"

knowitall :)
    duggro wrote:
    nice use of the "jimmy"

knowitall :)

Och weel, I have a wee chum in Glasgae, and I get exposed to fine Scottish culture on occasion. Actually she is due to visit in a few days, looking forward to that.
    Och weel, I have a wee chum in Glasgae, and I get exposed to fine Scottish culture on occasion. Actually she is due to visit in a few days, looking forward to that.
    now thats some impressive scottish lingo

shame your mates from glasgow- the east of scotland is much much better:)
    duggro wrote:
    now thats some impressive scottish lingo

shame your mates from glasgow- the east of scotland is much much better:)

I am hoping to visit sometime. TRouble is, I usually get a break in February, and I just can't bring myself to go to Scotland then rather than a ski resort in Canada.
    Year after next I am gonna break teh cycle and take August off and see Scotland.
    I am hoping to visit sometime. TRouble is, I usually get a break in February, and I just can't bring myself to go to Scotland then rather than a ski resort in Canada.
    Year after next I am gonna break teh cycle and take August off and see Scotland.
    august is always the month to come to edinburgh

the festival is on and it can't be beaten!
    duggro wrote:
    august is always the month to come to edinburgh

the festival is on and it can't be beaten!

Yeah, It's more likely that I'll be dragged up and down munros (? spelling ), plus I am definitely going to a ceilidh.
    Well, not to the point that I wear Mesa t-shirts, bandanas, or arseless chaps with a Mesa Lifestyle company logo emblazoned on them.
    And not to the point where I won't have another brand in the house, just to the point where I can recognise most of the current range, and a few of the older ones.
    There was sarcasm:p
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    There was sarcasm:p

Oh der, I know that, I was just making polite ocnversation in return.

Contrasting my "obsession" with peeps who are really obsessed. I was thinking of some folk I saw in a road cafe recently who were wearing most of the Harley catalogue between them, including the arseless chaps, which nearly had me spit my coffee out my nose. Ordinary dweebs dressed as heroes !!
    Oh der, I know that, I was just making polite ocnversation in return.

Contrasting my "obsession" with peeps who are really obsessed. I was thinking of some folk I saw in a road cafe recently who were wearing most of the Harley catalogue between them, including the arseless chaps, which nearly had me spit my coffee out my nose. Ordinary dweebs dressed as heroes !!
    Haha, I know guys like that with different things.

The worse was I saw a guy in a Fender shirt who didn't play guitar (I naturally talk to people in gear related shirts haha)