Mikey overrated?

2»

Comments

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    *signs the peace treaty*
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Damn. I am to late.

But some people never know when they should shut up, and I am one of them:

Well interessting post, I have been thinking about this in the last time too, because I tried to enlarge my musicial horizon ( Jimi, Pink Flyod, Van Halen, Led Zep), and I finally realised that Mr Mike Mc Cready is a pretty good guitar player, in my eyes far better than the average stuff; he often works on the songs changes parts etc.... And he's got a unique nice sound, but after I listened to it a lot, songs with a lot of guitar work, I had the feeling like he repeats himself, no repeat is the wrong word, he just often uses the same elements ( which you could also see as his unique style, whatever)
    for example the intro to timeless melody from 2000 is often used in other jams from that time, and in his solos he often does bendings, diddel - iddel - umm, and his wah wah stuff is legendary too and it sounds the same way.

All this are reasons against , but to be honest,I think that every guitar player has his personal touch, and this was mike.

And now just songs to hail his greatness:

Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    and this little wing / maggot brain version from, I think 1995, this made him to one of the really big players for me
    BANZÄÄÄ

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs
    So this is what it's like to be an adult?
    If he only knew now what he knew then
  • I'm no musician, just a fan, but what I like most about Mike's playing is the blues-y sound he brings to the song. He has a sexy style that tells me he's has been schooled - or at least schooled himself- in the ways of blues guitarists of the past. You know how Eric Clapton can take a song and make your hips move? That's what Mike does, for me. Some good examples of what I mean are Immortality and Half Full.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • we are all still alive and loving pearl jam...

and Mike f'n McReady is still THE GREAT ONE and still GUITAR GOD ! yeah...he is.....

Mike You Are................his greatness !!!!!!!!!!!
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • slim67slim67 Posts: 4
    Mike himself would probably be the first one to tell you he's not a God. He is however a very versatile and soulful player who understands what a song needs and what it doesn't. I read an interview somewhere where he said that working W/ Neil Young had a major effect on his solos IE: slowing down and wringing maximum feeling out of each note. Let's face it...if he wasn't good enough he wouldn't be there. Stone is also capable of some wicked leads too...when he feels like it.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    slim67 wrote:
    Mike himself would probably be the first one to tell you he's not a God. He is however a very versatile and soulful player who understands what a song needs and what it doesn't. I read an interview somewhere where he said that working W/ Neil Young had a major effect on his solos IE: slowing down and wringing maximum feeling out of each note. Let's face it...if he wasn't good enough he wouldn't be there. Stone is also capable of some wicked leads too...when he feels like it.

OF COURSE the Great One would NEVER address himself as anything other than a guy who loves to play. Thats where i come in!!!!! He's the Guitar God & the Great One & a BADD A$$ MOFO!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    Beav wrote:
    When you said "he doesn't play to impress people like you" I thought you meant like "...like you do". Now I see you meant HE doesn't play to impress ME. Sometimes he does impress me so there. Ok I think we can put this all behind us. Happy Tuesday:D

and a happy tuesday it is! You have to know something about me. I LOVE Mr. McCready. I'm defensive of him cuz i just feel like he's family! Dont ever take anything i say in defense about him personal! What i write is my own opinion cuz i'm entitled to it as are YOU!!! no one even has to pay attention to my posts!!! hee hee Its all good in tha hood! I hope you have a fantabulous day!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• SENROCK! wrote:
    OF COURSE the Great One would NEVER address himself as anything other than a guy who loves to play. Thats where i come in!!!!! He's the Guitar God & the Great One & a BADD A$$ MOFO!!!!! :D

yeah what she said......it is us, (the fans of his greatness) that call him the guitar god....which he is............................................bad ass mofo !!!!!!!!!!
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

• Not even Hendrix was inspirational every solo of every song of every show of his life...

But to pull off that real, emotional connection a few times with six strings and some frets...

Mike's playing has made me literally cry. Not much else you can say.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Anytime you doubt mccready, pull out temple of the dog. Read the blurb about him in the liner notes, Listen to Reach down, turn off the lights and feel his guitar flow around you, he is simply amazing.
    It's really great when your in a limo you can put your head to the window and look out at all the homeless people-E.V.

yep. the only man i will allow myself to cry for!!!!

Anytime you doubt mccready, pull out temple of the dog. Read the blurb about him in the liner notes, Listen to Reach down, turn off the lights and feel his guitar flow around you, he is simply amazing.

ooooooh that just gave me the chills! "feel his guitar FLOW around you" I think youre added to my new frenz list! :)

• jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    McCready....isnt he in blink182?

HE'S THE BEST!!!
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Not even Hendrix was inspirational every solo of every song of every show of his life...

But to pull off that real, emotional connection a few times with six strings and some frets...

yeah.... me too.......................

• Beav wrote:
    OK, I know I could be starting WWIII here but oh well. How many of you fairly accomplished musicians here aren't very impressed by McCready's solos? I accually think he's gone downhill lately.In the early 90's he was rippin pretty good but he riot act solos are very uninspired and live he makes a lot of worthless noise a lot of the time. He writes very few songs compared to Stone and Ed. Now don't get me wrong I like the guy but I don't understand how some people on here think he's a guitar god. Commense protest..

blasphemer