Mikey overrated?

BeavBeav Posts: 223
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK, I know I could be starting WWIII here but oh well. How many of you fairly accomplished musicians here aren't very impressed by McCready's solos? I accually think he's gone downhill lately.In the early 90's he was rippin pretty good but he riot act solos are very uninspired and live he makes a lot of worthless noise a lot of the time. He writes very few songs compared to Stone and Ed. Now don't get me wrong I like the guy but I don't understand how some people on here think he's a guitar god. Commense protest..
"Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
www.myspace.com/volinic
www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    pretty much everyone can run technical circles around me so i can't comment.

i prefer the slower, more melodic solos than the million notes a minute stuff but that's just me.
  • Beav wrote:
    OK, I know I could be starting WWIII here but oh well.

You are entering.

A world.

Of pain.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Let's attempt to keep this civilized. What is it that you think makes him great? Be specific.
    www.myspace.com/volinic
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    some people don't require thier favorite player to be a god.

technically, no he's no Malmsteen or Vai etc. but most of us aren't looking for that.

I love his tone, and his influences, I like the overall sound, in it's place with the rest of the band. I like to listen for the subtext so to speak.

Wanking and overly gratituous guitar solos have their place, just not in Pearl Jam.

can open.....worms everywhere.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Beav wrote:
    Let's attempt to keep this civilized. What is it that you think makes him great? Be specific.

He's God.

*pfft*
  • C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
    Everytime he plays a solo, you could tell what he is feeling.
    It comes out in his playing.
    There never the same solo. His tone is LARGE.
    Plays with the Heart and not his fingers !
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • his guitar speaks to me in a way i cant describe... he just has the x factor i guess
  • i love his style.

by the way, althought they are amazing and i think Vai is maybe the best guitar player alive, i hate the guitar tone vai and malmsteen use. its that annoying hair metal ear bleeding sound with treble and everything just turned up all the way usually.

mike is warm and nice to listen to.

Also refer to the mad season album for his creativity as a guitar player.

november hotel is an exemplory statement of his talent :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • by the way, althought they are amazing and i think Vai is maybe the best guitar player alive, i hate the guitar tone vai and malmsteen use. its that annoying hair metal ear bleeding sound with treble and everything just turned up all the way usually.

That's for note definition, as well as harmonics.
  • That's for note definition, as well as harmonics.
    i know whyyy they do it, but it makes my ears hurt. awful, piercing noise.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • His live solos used to be so much better in 98 and before. But he is a GREAT song writer and player.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Beav wrote:
    OK, I know I could be starting WWIII here but oh well. How many of you fairly accomplished musicians here aren't very impressed by McCready's solos? I accually think he's gone downhill lately.In the early 90's he was rippin pretty good but he riot act solos are very uninspired and live he makes a lot of worthless noise a lot of the time. He writes very few songs compared to Stone and Ed. Now don't get me wrong I like the guy but I don't understand how some people on here think he's a guitar god. Commense protest..

OMG !!!

Do you value your life at all ???

I soooooooooooooooo hope that senrock or animal don't see this ,especially senrock !! i will pray for you....Beav
    and for the record mike isnt overrated at all,he's a guitar god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(heh...can't wait to hear what senrock has to say about this...better p.m. her just in case she dont see this...heh....just kidding...her keyword is mike mcready,she will see it
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • He's God.

*pfft*

damn straight he is ....
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I just think he plays with feeling. I like his sound also because I can pick out influences like Page and Hendrix who are my other two favorite guitarists. Id rather listen to someone with some soul than a guy who just plays every note perfect.
    Brian
  • NCBRI wrote:
    I just think he plays with feeling. I like his sound also because I can pick out influences like Page and Hendrix who are my other two favorite guitarists. Id rather listen to someone with some soul than a guy who just plays every note perfect.

on MSG dvd he makes his guitar cry in black.....its gutwrenching

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    definitely the guy can play, in fact Ill say hes probably underrated. After all, its not like you normally see his name near the top of all those Greatest Guitarist lists. In fact, I don't think he was even in RS's Top 100 list. Now thats an atrocity!
    Brian
  • mike is warm and nice to listen to.

Also refer to the mad season album for his creativity as a guitar player.

november hotel is an exemplory statement of his talent :)
    i agree with this--the sound he produces is laced with emotion analogous to a singer singing with emotion--the listener can most often hear when something is sung with real feeling as opposed to technically and i think it's the same with any instrument being played. there is an opportunity for feeling to be conveyed and i think that mike does that exceptionally.

lol @ Pearl_Jam_Necklace, yeah, where are animal and senrock already? =P
  • i agree with this--the sound he produces is laced with emotion analogous to a singer singing with emotion--the listener can most often hear when something is sung with real feeling as opposed to technically and i think it's the same with any instrument being played. there is an opportunity for feeling to be conveyed and i think that mike does that exceptionally.

lol @ Pearl_Jam_Necklace, yeah, where are animal and senrock already? =P

well put !! well put !! amen ...

• SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Beav wrote:

FIRST OF ALL.....i dont know who you are, why you even went there about THE GREAT ONE, or why you are here. I'll be the first to say everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, yours is NOT an opinion, its a terrible comment. "dont get me wrong" you say? How can i NOT! If you made this comment to get attention-well youre successful. I cant let you start trash talk about Mr. McCready & not add my fitty cents. Saying he's gone downhill lately & live he makes alot of worthless noise? ARE YOU FREAKIN INSANE?! You need to listen a little closer son before you comment. The man doesnt play to impress people like yourself. He plays because he has sooooo much to say & he speaks it VERY well thru his playing. How do you NOT understand? The passion & deep feeling that FLOWs thru the melodies he creates. The way he makes that guitar talk. The way he just exxxpresses himself thru the sounds. The way i can understand the pain, the exxxcitement, the love, the happiness, thru him standing there THROWIN' IT DOWN! When he plays the first few sounds, it just captures your soul. Anyone who does not feel this must be just dead inside. Have you ANY idea what your soul is? Its your mind, your will, and your emotions. And let me tell YOU, he reaches ALL of those. Sure theres great guitar players in this world but you know what? NONE of them compare to Mr. F'N McCready because the man is real. He's VERY MUCH talented. He's humble. He saves up all he's got to say & feels & lets it FLY when he holds that guitar close to him! I dont think you can find ANY guitar player that is as sincere as Mr. McCready. He's been blessed with so much talent & he uses it to make people happy & feel good & forget about everything thats going on around them-all the badd-all the negative & just be free for those little moments of eternity while he delivers. THAT is what makes him the GUITAR GOD. Your comments from here on out dont even matter. MIKE f'n McCREADY is THEE GUITAR GOD & A BADD A$$ MOFO & there aint NOTHING you or anyone else with such negativity can do about it!

aNiMaL & Sen......
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • ucsbucsb Posts: 58
    on this board......hell yeah!!......outside of the board....i would say he isnt underated or overated.
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    FIRST OF ALL.....i dont know who you are, why you even went there about THE GREAT ONE, or why you are here. I'll be the first to say everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, yours is NOT an opinion, its a terrible comment. "dont get me wrong" you say? How can i NOT! If you made this comment to get attention-well youre successful. I cant let you start trash talk about Mr. McCready & not add my fitty cents. Saying he's gone downhill lately & live he makes alot of worthless noise? ARE YOU FREAKIN INSANE?! You need to listen a little closer son before you comment. The man doesnt play to impress people like yourself. He plays because he has sooooo much to say & he speaks it VERY well thru his playing. How do you NOT understand? The passion & deep feeling that FLOWs thru the melodies he creates. The way he makes that guitar talk. The way he just exxxpresses himself thru the sounds. The way i can understand the pain, the exxxcitement, the love, the happiness, thru him standing there THROWIN' IT DOWN! When he plays the first few sounds, it just captures your soul. Anyone who does not feel this must be just dead inside. Have you ANY idea what your soul is? Its your mind, your will, and your emotions. And let me tell YOU, he reaches ALL of those. Sure theres great guitar players in this world but you know what? NONE of them compare to Mr. F'N McCready because the man is real. He's VERY MUCH talented. He's humble. He saves up all he's got to say & feels & lets it FLY when he holds that guitar close to him! I dont think you can find ANY guitar player that is as sincere as Mr. McCready. He's been blessed with so much talent & he uses it to make people happy & feel good & forget about everything thats going on around them-all the badd-all the negative & just be free for those little moments of eternity while he delivers. THAT is what makes him the GUITAR GOD. Your comments from here on out dont even matter. MIKE f'n McCREADY is THEE GUITAR GOD & A BADD A$$ MOFO & there aint NOTHING you or anyone else with such negativity can do about it!

aNiMaL & Sen......

yeah ...what she said.....also i think in nooooooooooo way do you have the right to call him "Mikey" .you do however have the right to call him "God" or
    "the great one"

yeah ...what she said.....also i think in nooooooooooo way do you have the right to call him "Mikey" .you do however have the right to call him "God" or
    "the great one"

i KNEW youd check back to see if i was here! ha ha

and THATS RIGHT! not just anyone can call him MIKEY! Its MR. McCREADY to anyone whos not a fan!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

ucsb wrote:
    on this board......hell yeah!!......outside of the board....i would say he isnt underated or overated.

i like that! :) you rule!

I knew this was a bad idea. I'd rather make friends than enemies. Please don't hate. I made no personally offensive comments and assumptions like Senrock. Just because I don't have thousands of posts doesn't mean I don't worship Pearl Jam or have the right to say what I feel here. I also still love Mike. I think songs like Given to Fly and Present Tense are awesome. The solo in Wishlist brought tears to my eyes at the Pittsburg '03 show. I know he plays with feeling and he has awesome stage presence/crowd interaction. He is a beautiful human being and a very good guitar player. I never said he sucked. Senrock, you don't know me at all so don't even assume I play to impress people and sure as hell don't call me "son". You have never heard me. I know what the fuck soul is. Listen to the solos on Hendrixs' "Hear My Train a Comin" or Page on "Since I Been Lovin You". I'm sorry I get a little board with 1 blues scale in almost every song. Have you ever played along with Mike's solos? If your an accomplished guitar player, which is who this post was geared toward, this shouldn't be a problem. I am saying nothing about myself so don't go assuming I think I'm the shit or something. My musical ear has just picked up a lot over the years. Mike's sound and a lot of his riffs are lifted straight from Hendrix. He does pull it off pretty good. I'm not one of those people that measures a guitar players worth by how clean or how many notes per milisecond he plays. I really like some of Mikes slower written out solo parts. I olso love players like John Frusciante for example. I'm not trying to make anybody like Mike less. I respect that he's some peoples favorite guitar player. I'm not saying he shouldn't be. I was just trying to have a civilized conversation with fellow musicians. I guess freedom of speech is not exercised by all here. Telling me my posts mean nothing from here on in? What the hell is that? I have no plans go around posting negative comments all the time. We all share a great love for this band so don't hate me for my opinion. It's all love from now on. I now realize this board is here for us to all share or admiration for Pearl Jam. Peace to all.
    www.myspace.com/volinic
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Beav wrote:
    I knew this was a bad idea. I'd rather make friends than enemies. Please don't hate. I made no personally offensive comments and assumptions like Senrock. Just because I don't have thousands of posts doesn't mean I don't worship Pearl Jam or have the right to say what I feel here. I also still love Mike. I think songs like Given to Fly and Present Tense are awesome. The solo in Wishlist brought tears to my eyes at the Pittsburg '03 show. I know he plays with feeling and he has awesome stage presence/crowd interaction. He is a beautiful human being and a very good guitar player. I never said he sucked. Senrock, you don't know me at all so don't even assume I play to impress people. You have never heard me. I know what the fuck soul is. Listen to the solos on Hendrixs' "Hear My Train a Comin" or Page on "Since I Been Lovin You". I'm sorry I get a little board with 1 blues scale in almost every song. Have you ever played along with Mike's solos? If your an accomplished guitar player, which is who this post was geared toward, this shouldn't be a problem. I am saying nothing about myself so don't go assuming I think I'm the shit or something. My musical ear has just picked up a lot over the years. Mike's sound and a lot of his riffs are lifted straight from Hendrix. He does pull it off pretty good. I'm not one of those people that measures a guitar players worth by how clean or how many notes per milisecond he plays. I fucking love John Frusciante for example. I'm not trying to make anybody like Mike less. I respect that he's some peoples favorite guitar player. I'm not saying he shouldn't be. I was just trying to have a civilized conversation with fellow musicians. I guess freedom of speech is not exercised by all here. Telling me my posts mean nothing from here on in? What the hell is that? I have no plans go around posting negative comments all the time. We all share a great love for this band so don't hate me for my opinion. It's all love from now on. Peace

don't worry about it man, take it in stride. you're comments we're not taken as an afront, Mikey does rely heavily on pentatonic stuff and it's obviously not all that revolutionary, a comment like that dosen't mean you hate mike or his music, it's just food for thought. I can appreciate that, and this band is the reason I started playing guitar. The only guy that really could care is Mike, he'd probaby laugh, agree a little bit, ask you what you had in mind and then jam to whatever you brought up. We all get in ruts after all. I could probably play a blues riff in E in front of a univibe for 4 hours and be completely thrilled with it.

If there's anything Pearl Jams about it's free speech, you knew you were going to get blasted for saying something like that on a Pearl Jam forum. It's nice to see a different perspective displayed.

It's pretty cool you have Captain Beefheart quoted in your sig, a guy that posts hear used to play with him sometimes.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    [/quote]
    It's pretty cool you have Captain Beefheart quoted in your sig, a guy that posts hear used to play with him sometimes.[/quote]

No shit! any more story behind that?
    And thanks for seeing I'm not a Mike hater.

R.I.P. Steelers...:(
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    Beav wrote:
    It's pretty cool you have Captain Beefheart quoted in your sig, a guy that posts hear used to play with him sometimes.[/quote]

No shit! any more story behind that?
    And thanks for seeing I'm not a Mike hater. I just over-analyse too much.

R.I.P. Steelers...:([/quote]
    www.myspace.com/volinic
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    *BOOM*

WWIII has ended...
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    Beav wrote:
    I knew this was a bad idea. I'd rather make friends than enemies. Please don't hate. I made no personally offensive comments and assumptions like Senrock. Just because I don't have thousands of posts doesn't mean I don't worship Pearl Jam or have the right to say what I feel here. Senrock, you don't know me at all so don't even assume I play to impress people and sure as hell don't call me "son". I guess freedom of speech is not exercised by all here. Telling me my posts mean nothing from here on in? What the hell is that? I have no plans go around posting negative comments all the time. We all share a great love for this band so don't hate me for my opinion. It's all love from now on. I now realize this board is here for us to all share or admiration for Pearl Jam. Peace to all.

1) whatever man. I'm all about making frenz.
    2) There were no "personally offensive comments & assumptions".
    3) Post count has nothing to do with ANYTHING.
    4) i dont think i EVER said YOU play to impress people....i dont "know you"
    5) I'm the FIRST to say everyone has a right to their opinion.
    6) your posts about Mike (if there were anymore on their way) mean nothing from here on out to ME. NOT anyone else-i dont speak for anyone else.
    7) Yes i believe we DO share a love for this great band, so why cant we all just get along!? :D:D:D

SENROCK! wrote:
    1) whatever man. I'm all about making frenz.
    2) There were no "personally offensive comments & assumptions".
    3) Post count has nothing to do with ANYTHING.
    4) i dont think i EVER said YOU play to impress people....i dont "know you"
    5) I'm the FIRST to say everyone has a right to their opinion.
    6) your posts about Mike (if there were anymore on their way) mean nothing from here on out to ME. NOT anyone else-i dont speak for anyone else.
    7) Yes i believe we DO share a love for this great band, so why cant we all just get along!? :D:D:D

When you said "he doesn't play to impress people like you" I thought you meant like "...like you do". Now I see you meant HE doesn't play to impress ME. Sometimes he does impress me so there. Ok I think we can put this all behind us. Happy Tuesday:D
    www.myspace.com/volinic