This Is The Weekend!

2»

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The SG will hold it's value longer, but because of that, you might end up babying it a bit... the Epi would let you rawk a little harder, not worried about putting a ding in the guitar. Both are good choices, and if you take really good care of stuff, it doesn't matter which you get. They are completely different guitars, though...

Ed uses Lindy Fralin P-90's in a few guitars, not sure if that's what's in the SG Jr.

A P-90 is a different-sized pup than a regular humbucker, so like Paco said, there are pups that are built to be a P-90 in a humbucker size. Unfotunately, Fralin isn't one of them. But I would guess the Harmonic Design Z-90 would be good for that drop-top SG's bridge, and be fairly close to Ed's 2003 tone. The other option is to work with body routing and a new pickguard to get a traditional P-90 in the hole, but that's pretty spendy. I use a Harmonic Design S-90 (fender-sized P-90) and it's amazing, so I'm sure their Z-90 is just as good.

Ultimately, the best thing I can say is go with your heart. Sometimes you can think about things too much, just get the one that pulls at you more...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • i think im going with the SG

i dont think im gonna switch any pickups until christmas or maybe even my birthday next June
    but i am going to put p-90s in sometime...maybe even the gibson p-90s will do, i dont know, when the time comes, the time comes

anyway mig, i think i may be getting that Fender Reverb Deluxe, the only problem is that i didnt get to crank it in the store under the vibrato input, but i didnt hear any overdrive...hmmm maybe i should go back and crank it...anyway yeah i am leaning towards that because its 22watts, enough to jam with and little enough to practice in my little bedroom...beautiful clean sound, within my price range...yet id love a concert reverb!!!! but its so damn expensive 1200$ for that shit...besides the great clean tone on that amp, i love the switch it has from 50 watts to 12 :D...maybe ill look for it on ebay
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • 2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    i think im going with the SG

i dont think im gonna switch any pickups until christmas or maybe even my birthday next June
    but i am going to put p-90s in sometime...maybe even the gibson p-90s will do, i dont know, when the time comes, the time comes

anyway mig, i think i may be getting that Fender Reverb Deluxe, the only problem is that i didnt get to crank it in the store under the vibrato input, but i didnt hear any overdrive...hmmm maybe i should go back and crank it...anyway yeah i am leaning towards that because its 22watts, enough to jam with and little enough to practice in my little bedroom...beautiful clean sound, within my price range...yet id love a concert reverb!!!! but its so damn expensive 1200$ for that shit...besides the great clean tone on that amp, i love the switch it has from 50 watts to 12 :D...maybe ill look for it on ebay

The DRRI is a better deal than the concert reverb. Forgo channel switching my friend. I promise we will find you what you need to overdrive that thing properly. If the fender deluxe reverb isn't the greatest selling amplifier of all time, it should be.

good deal on that concert reverb though from Ebay.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The DRRI is a better deal than the concert reverb. Forgo channel switching my friend. I promise we will find you what you need to overdrive that thing properly. If the fender deluxe reverb isn't the greatest selling amplifier of all time, it should be.

good deal on that concert reverb though from Ebay.

the deluxe doesnt have an overdrive then right? by the way on a fender amp what does the intensity and speed knobs do? just asking because today i actually got to mess around with a fender amp, usually if i use a fender amp i use the normal input 1 or i use a fender deville and it has its own OD button
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    the deluxe doesnt have an overdrive then right? by the way on a fender amp what does the intensity and speed knobs do? just asking because today i actually got to mess around with a fender amp, usually if i use a fender amp i use the normal input 1 or i use a fender deville and it has its own OD button

The speed and intensity is for the "vibrato" The middle input (vibrato) allows you to footswitch the effect on and off. The first channel is only volume and tone. There are ways to combine these two channels should you so choose. Ex should be able to better tell you about that, the Barber Launch Pad is a boost that can do it and give you some od.

I know fender calls it a vibrato but it's actually a tremolo (volume modulation) True vibrato is pitch modulation and it's only found on a very few amps. Most people prefer tremolo in thier amps. If you bought the gretsch and it had a bigsby, that's called a vibrato tailpiece, because it actually changes the pitch, same deal with a whammy bar.

There is no overdrive channel. The Deluxe gives you a truer natural powertube overdrive when you crank it up (the way God, Leo Fender, and Jim Marshall originally intended), the right combination of pedals can give you damn near whatever you want (save metal) but I bet if you did need to do that something would work for that too. Essentially high gain sounds emphasize more preamp tube distortion/overdrive/clipping what you would get if you had your master volume control turned down and the gain up. Master Volumes resulted from people tired of killing their ears with stage volume. The advent of the quality PA yadda yadda. I'm rambling.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The speed and intensity is for the "vibrato" The middle input (vibrato) allows you to footswitch the effect on and off. The first channel is only volume and tone. There are ways to combine these two channels should you so choose. Ex should be able to better tell you about that, the Barber Launch Pad is a boost that can do it and give you some od.

I know fender calls it a vibrato but it's actually a tremolo (volume modulation) True vibrato is pitch modulation and it's only found on a very few amps. Most people prefer tremolo in thier amps. If you bought the gretsch and it had a bigsby, that's called a vibrato tailpiece, because it actually changes the pitch, same deal with a whammy bar.

There is no overdrive channel. The Deluxe gives you a truer natural powertube overdrive when you crank it up (the way God, Leo Fender, and Jim Marshall originally intended), the right combination of pedals can give you damn near whatever you want (save metal) but I bet if you did need to do that something would work for that too. Essentially high gain sounds emphasize more preamp tube distortion/overdrive/clipping what you would get if you had your master volume control turned down and the gain up. Master Volumes resulted from people tired of killing their ears with stage volume. The advent of the quality PA yadda yadda. I'm rambling.

so basicly the vibrato inputs are normal inputs but on the footswitch u can put the tremelo mode on while playing?
    thats pretty cool
    but still, what does the speed and intesnity do? maybe you said it but i didnt really see it...
    now will the OD only come on if i crank it under the vibrato input?

oh yeah IM GETTING THE TEAL SG!!
  • so basicly the vibrato inputs are normal inputs but on the footswitch u can put the tremelo mode on while playing?
    thats pretty cool
    but still, what does the speed and intesnity do? maybe you said it but i didnt really see it...

oh yeah IM GETTING THE TEAL SG!!
    speed controls how fast the tremelo is...

the intensity is just how prominent the tremelo is.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • speed controls how fast the tremelo is...

the intensity is just how prominent the tremelo is.

i see, thanks

maybe that's what i will get...thats probably the best tube amp for under 800$ with a great clean tone and good wattage i can find :D

at guitar center (i didnt play it) they had a BOSE multi-effects pedal, sounded pretty sweet, didnt know if anyone has heard of it

plus im not going to lie...when i first picked up one of the SG's the guy set me up to a marshall 15watt MG...piece of crap...but the OD Channel was pretty decent, not good but decent, better than my OD on my 10watt mg..........THEN I WENT TO A MESA, i went from :/ to :D
    then i found out it was just 1700 for the head :( then i asked for a used one and that was still 1300 for the head
    i see, thanks

maybe that's what i will get...thats probably the best tube amp for under 800$ with a great clean tone and good wattage i can find :D

at guitar center (i didnt play it) they had a BOSE multi-effects pedal, sounded pretty sweet, didnt know if anyone has heard of it

plus im not going to lie...when i first picked up one of the SG's the guy set me up to a marshall 15watt MG...piece of crap...but the OD Channel was pretty decent, not good but decent, better than my OD on my 10watt mg..........THEN I WENT TO A MESA, i went from :/ to :D
    then i found out it was just 1700 for the head :( then i asked for a used one and that was still 1300 for the head

Triple Rec's are pricey. You should look at a Mesa F-30. In fact J of Z has one he's probably selling if he hasn't already.

Do not, repeat do not buy multi effects. Rinse lather repeat, write on the chalkboard 1 million times. I will not buy multi effects to play through my amplifier.

The only good use for that kind of stuff is direct recording or strait to the PA, for instance Pod ProXT or Pod XT for recording or a live setup.

Multi effects are a cheap inviting alternative that you sandwich into your set up because "it does so much more for the money" Then you buy them and realize they are only a digital approximation and not that close to the real sound and they are hollow and digital, fake and sad, kind of like my ex girlfriend actually. Value and Tone are a very difficult equation to balance.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Triple Rec's are pricey. You should look at a Mesa F-30. In fact J of Z has one he's probably selling if he hasn't already.

Do not, repeat do not buy multi effects. Rinse lather repeat, write on the chalkboard 1 million times. I will not buy multi effects to play through my amplifier.

The only good use for that kind of stuff is direct recording or strait to the PA, for instance Pod ProXT or Pod XT for recording or a live setup.

Multi effects are a cheap inviting alternative that you sandwich into your set up because "it does so much more for the money" Then you buy them and realize they are only a digital approximation and not that close to the real sound and they are hollow and digital, fake and sad, kind of like my ex girlfriend actually. Value and Tone are a very difficult equation to balance.

yeah i personally dont care for multi-effects...i have the digitech rp80 that i got for xmas a few years ago when i first started playing...i thought it was cool, some modes are still alrite...but i use it now for the drum machine built in, i put it up to a shitty 5watt amp i have and i use that as my beat or metronome:D

im going to enjoy my new setup after the summer

Fender Fat Strat Sunburst
    Gibson SG Special Teal
    *into*
    Crybaby 535Q
    Ibanez TS9
    Maxon Sonic Distortion
    Some Vibe or Phaser
    Boss DD-3
    *into*
    Traynor YCV40 or Fender Deluxe Reverb

:D:D:D
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    yeah i personally dont care for multi-effects...i have the digitech rp80 that i got for xmas a few years ago when i first started playing...i thought it was cool, some modes are still alrite...but i use it now for the drum machine built in, i put it up to a shitty 5watt amp i have and i use that as my beat or metronome:D

Gibson SG Special Teal
    *into*
    Crybaby 535Q
    Ibanez TS9
    Maxon Sonic Distortion
    Some Vibe or Phaser
    Boss DD-3
    *into*

That is a nice setup. Congrats.

My current setup

Gibson '56 goldtop
    homemade House53 sig Tele
    *into*
    Bad Monkey OD
    Boss RV-5
    *into*
    Fender Bassman LTD
    There's No Code.

The only way to get the Deluxe Reverb to overdrive is to literally overdrive it, i.e. turn it up WAAAAAY loud. Which sounds frickin' cool when you do it, but it's not very practical.

Get a good overdrive and a good distortion. I'd recommend a DigiTech Bad Monkey overdrive, and a ProCo Rat distortion. They're incredibly affordable, sound great, and will be fairly easy to use. Put those in front of the Deluxe Reverb, and it will *sing*.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    The deluxe reverb is my favorite amp ever. It's still my default amp.
    That and a Shannon Overdrive,,,, you're good to go! :cool:
    Good luck with the SG!

Another Boogie option is DC-2 DC-3 or DC-5

I have a DC5, and it's a great amp. It's 50 watts, two channel, has that boogie overdrive aka Santana, and a lot of eq things to tweak, but you can get them for $500.00 to $700 on Ebay and they're versatile amps. They sound GREAT when you find your settings. They weren't too popular, so they discontinued them, but they're one of my favorites.
    The only problem, like I say, is you need to write down your settings for the sound you want, because it DOES take some experimenting.

Why,,,, here's one! :D
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7339442029&category=43374&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    SG's are brighter than Les Pauls though. Les Pauls are fat and smooth.

V's and SG's are bright and ballsy/gutsy.

If you look hard you can find 7 to 8lb LP's. Epi LP's are lighter as it is.
    V's are heavy too ,they sound, as you say bright and fat
    LUKIN
    I thought I would catch some shit for saying that , FENDER is played by the best,but those SG's have CRUNCH.

I have two tele's that will CRUNCH better than any SG I've ever played. And a third that keeps up nicely.
  • yeah i personally dont care for multi-effects...i have the digitech rp80 that i got for xmas a few years ago when i first started playing...i thought it was cool, some modes are still alrite...but i use it now for the drum machine built in, i put it up to a shitty 5watt amp i have and i use that as my beat or metronome:D

Gibson SG Special Teal
    *into*
    Crybaby 535Q
    Ibanez TS9
    Maxon Sonic Distortion
    Some Vibe or Phaser
    Boss DD-3
    *into*

Those are all the pedals I'm working towards getting this summer, haha go figure.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"