This Is The Weekend!

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
my dad promised me a new guitar this weeked...something up to 700$ ( :D )

i dont wanna go for the SG Faded Special because if i get a SG i want it to be either Teal or White

what do you think i should go for? (i play alternative/rock/punk rock)

and yes he is taking me to Guitar Center because thats the only guitar shop thats near him, theres actually 1 shop a few blocks away from him but it sucks, all they carry is Fender and Ibanez and a few fender and marshall amps

no i dont want it to be a hollowbody because ill get a ibanez hollowbody for 350-400 or if that gretsch is still around ill get it for 545 out of my own money

what shall it be? ( :D )
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• epiphone les paul standard all the way.

i resent that you have all this money for music...;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Play everything in the store and let an individual guitar in your price range speak to you. Even models of the same type are often vastly different trust me I used to bust open loads of guitars for Guitar Center. Just play everything though your favorite amp something will just feel right.

That gretsch hollowbody is really cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    damnit lucky you! wish my old man would buy me a new guitar! i gotta take out a £2000 loan soon to get my new and of course a nice shiny new usa three tone sunburst with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard :) oh and i`ll probably get a dd3 while im at it as my old ibanez soundtank delay is kinda....well.....umm...errr how cani describe it??? shit? yeah that just about says it hahaa.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • epiphone les paul standard all the way.

i resent that you have all this money for music...;)

well, i work
    :)
    but this time this aint coming out of my pocket...
    right now i got about a little less than 1000$ in the account, which i made for saving up for my amp and pedals and guitar, i started last year (plus 500$ in another account for other things)

i was figuring spending around 400$ (unless that gretsch is available) on a hollowbody and either get the Traynor or ill see how much im making the month of august (new job, higher hourly wage :D ) and ill get myself either a fender concert reverb or vox ac30
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Make sure you check out Orange too man.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Gretsch all the way!
    But listen to Pac, take them all for a test drive and play them unplugged. If you have good acoustics unplugged then it will sound great plugged in.
    When it comes to Gibson sometimes the ugly ones sound best :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Make sure you check out Orange too man.

i would LOVE an orange but i cant afford it...my dream amp is having a Hiwatt Lead 50watt or 100wat head ontop of a 4x12 orange cab
    mmmm tasty ;)

yeah ill see, i may change my mind if i see a hollowbody i really love thats around the price range...
  • You said it man, those Oranges I heard one the other day and....damn.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • definitely don't overlook Epiphone Les Pauls just because of the name. I have an Epi LP Custom and it plays beautifully and sounds pretty darn good given the fact that it's all stock.

Someday I'm going to put in '57 classic pups and change the tuners and i'll have a Gibson at 1/2 the cost.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • yeah if i get a epiphone les paul...ill get the standard change the neck pickup to a 57 classic and the bridge im either going to change to a p-90 but i already have my strat with the 2 single coils and humbucker on the bridge...or ill put a burstbucker on the neck

or i can totally model it after the jimmy paige signature model?
  • or i can get a Schecter PT Series guitar (400$) and get 1 or 2 more pedals that i want in my new set up haha im just gonna fuck around with everything there
  • or i can get a Schecter PT Series guitar (400$) and get 1 or 2 more pedals that i want in my new set up haha im just gonna fuck around with everything there
    get some weird ass synth pedal.. and just whip it out every once in awhile...:cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • if i baught a guitar, could i bring in a photo and tell someone to paint it that color?
    if so who would i bring it to?

by the way does anyone know the bridge pickup on the Jimmy Page les paul model? it doesnt say on gibsoncustom.com it just says 2 burstbusters, but only 1 is
    thanks
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    by the way does anyone know the bridge pickup on the Jimmy Page les paul model? it doesnt say on gibsoncustom.com it just says 2 burstbusters, but only 1 is
    thanks

I'm pretty sure both of the JP sig pups are custom-wound Burstbuckers. I believe he has a coil-tap feature on that guitar, too, so it would have to be a 4-wire pup. The bridge is open-coil, I know that (I copied the idea on one of my Tele's, which has a covered Classic 57 in the neck and an open-coil Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • well, i work
    :)
    but this time this aint coming out of my pocket...
    right now i got about a little less than 1000$ in the account, which i made for saving up for my amp and pedals and guitar, i started last year (plus 500$ in another account for other things)

i was figuring spending around 400$ (unless that gretsch is available) on a hollowbody and either get the Traynor or ill see how much im making the month of august (new job, higher hourly wage :D ) and ill get myself either a fender concert reverb or vox ac30
    A GIBSON S-G FOR SURE ,FUCK LES PAULS THEY WEIGH A TON. S-G IS LIGHT ,HAS FAT CRUNCH OF A "V" OR A LES PAUL. NOT THAT THIN FENDER SOUND. YOU GOTTA BE GOOD TO MAKE AFENDER FAT.TRY ONE OUT TELL ME S-G"S DONT KICK
    LUKIN
  • I'm pretty sure both of the JP sig pups are custom-wound Burstbuckers. I believe he has a coil-tap feature on that guitar, too, so it would have to be a 4-wire pup. The bridge is open-coil, I know that (I copied the idea on one of my Tele's, which has a covered Classic 57 in the neck and an open-coil Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge).

what did you use on your bridge pickup because if i get a les paul i want to model it after that except put a 57 classic on the neck

if i get a SG i think i may change the bridge pickup to a p-90 and wait about 2 more years and change the neck pickup
    what did you use on your bridge pickup because if i get a les paul i want to model it after that except put a 57 classic on the neck

if i get a SG i think i may change the bridge pickup to a p-90 and wait about 2 more years and change the neck pickup

Re-read my post: "...which has a covered Classic 57 in the neck and an open-coil Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge." So, I have a Gibson Classic 57, chrome-covered, in the neck, and I have a Seymour Duncan '59, open-coil, in the bridge. And it is a match made in heaven! The neck pup is jazzy, full, lotsa body, but clear, clean highs and never muddy. The bridge pup is bright, biting, edgy, and works wonders with gain stages. Together (in the middle pup position) they are full, rich, clear, and wonderful. It's the best tone I've ever heard from two humbuckers together, ever, hands down. I cannot think of a pickup combination that would be better for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/GT2.jpg

If I ever owned an SG, it would be dual Fralin P-90's or dual Classic 57's. Okay, maybe a Classic 57 in the neck and an Angus Young sig in the bridge.
  • Re-read my post: "...which has a covered Classic 57 in the neck and an open-coil Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge." So, I have a Gibson Classic 57, chrome-covered, in the neck, and I have a Seymour Duncan '59, open-coil, in the bridge. And it is a match made in heaven! The neck pup is jazzy, full, lotsa body, but clear, clean highs and never muddy. The bridge pup is bright, biting, edgy, and works wonders with gain stages. Together (in the middle pup position) they are full, rich, clear, and wonderful. It's the best tone I've ever heard from two humbuckers together, ever, hands down. I cannot think of a pickup combination that would be better for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/GT2.jpg

If I ever owned an SG, it would be dual Fralin P-90's or dual Classic 57's. Okay, maybe a Classic 57 in the neck and an Angus Young sig in the bridge.

i was thinking of the angus young sig pickup, how is it different than the classic 57?
    why 2 p-90s? i always wondered why 2 p-90s cuz on L@TG ed has 2 P-90s on his teal sg, just wondering
    the sound of the pickups that are on the SG Special sound really good but i would want more diversity, so thats why i think im going to add a p-90
    what was the model of the seymour duncan pickup?
    A GIBSON S-G FOR SURE ,FUCK LES PAULS THEY WEIGH A TON. S-G IS LIGHT ,HAS FAT CRUNCH OF A "V" OR A LES PAUL. NOT THAT THIN FENDER SOUND. YOU GOTTA BE GOOD TO MAKE AFENDER FAT.TRY ONE OUT TELL ME S-G"S DONT KICK

SG's are brighter than Les Pauls though. Les Pauls are fat and smooth.

V's and SG's are bright and ballsy/gutsy.

If you look hard you can find 7 to 8lb LP's. Epi LP's are lighter as it is.
    i was thinking of the angus young sig pickup, how is it different than the classic 57?
    why 2 p-90s? i always wondered why 2 p-90s cuz on L@TG ed has 2 P-90s on his teal sg, just wondering
    the sound of the pickups that are on the SG Special sound really good but i would want more diversity, so thats why i think im going to add a p-90
    what was the model of the seymour duncan pickup?

The Angus pup is a bit brighter, drives harder, and gives incredibly great definition. Basically a hotter version of a Classic 57. Meant to plug right into a cranked Marshall.

I'd do two P-90's because I think P-90's work really well together. It's more of a personal preference, though... You could easily put a P-90 or Phat Cat in the bridge and a Classic 57 or S/D Jazz or anything else in the neck.

My bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan 59. The model is "59." So-named because the pickup is a Patent Applied For (PAF) clone, which first came out in 1959. It's similar to a Classic 57, but it has mis-matched coils that gives it an edgier tone.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#59153Model
    NOT THAT THIN FENDER SOUND. YOU GOTTA BE GOOD TO MAKE AFENDER FAT.

That's nice, but try to tell that to my Tele's.
  • didnt get a chance to go today, will go tomorrow... i went to another guitar store where they had a small collection, played some teles and les pauls...

by the way theres so many p-90 pickups, whats the one that ed uses on his SG Jr. the red on i think he uses them on his special too but im just wondering

ive made a decision, its one of the 2

1) my dad said he would pay my cousin for the Teal SG....
    if i get it im going to change the bridge pickup to a p-90 and keep the 490 humbucker on the bridge until i have the cash to change it

2) if i get the epiohone les paul standard im changing the neck pickup to a 57 classic and the bridge to a seymour duncan open coil ( :D thanks mig)
    didnt get a chance to go today, will go tomorrow... i went to another guitar store where they had a small collection, played some teles and les pauls...

by the way theres so many p-90 pickups, whats the one that ed uses on his SG Jr. the red on i think he uses them on his special too but im just wondering

ive made a decision, its one of the 2

1) my dad said he would pay my cousin for the Teal SG....
    if i get it im going to change the bridge pickup to a p-90 and keep the 490 humbucker on the bridge until i have the cash to change it

2) if i get the epiohone les paul standard im changing the neck pickup to a 57 classic and the bridge to a seymour duncan open coil ( :D thanks mig)

If you change it go with a Harmonic Design Z-90 a Duncan Fat Cat or Rio Grand Bastard something in that vein. Same tone, no unnecessary routing which will degrade the value of the guitar unless you are Ed Vedder.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    If you change it go with a Harmonic Design Z-90 a Duncan Fat Cat or Rio Grand Bastard something in that vein. Same tone, no unnecessary routing which will degrade the value of the guitar unless you are Ed Vedder.

on which guitar? the les paul im assuming? i just want to model it after the jimmy page signature model
    i noticed i said to keep the 490 on the bridge, i ment neck

im going in an hour :D

but does anyone know the p-90 pickups on ed's SG Jr. on L@TG, i think he has 2 of them on his teal SG too
  • The best advice I can give, and I've given it before is to not go into the store with the idea that you HAVE to buy a guitar that day! Bad things happen that way. You should try out some guitars you have in mind along with others that catch your eye in your price range...

You have the right to be picky and not be shy and test them out. If none of them are really what you're looking for, then leave and come back in a while, be patient and wait for that special guitar to grace your presence...You want to have this guitar for a long time.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • well...i went today...and it came down to Gibson SG Special, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Fender Nashville Tele

i played an SG Special and didnt care for it, went to the epiphone les paul...great guitar i was so close to getting it, i think i still may...i went to the fender nashville and played it, i decided not to take it off of the list...then i went to ANOTHER sg special, sounded so much better, sounded GREAT!!!

i also played schecter c-1, schecter pt jet black (not the one i like), fender jaguar, and other stuff
    so here is the deal

it's either the SG Teal my cousin saved for me, or the Epiphone Les Paul...i dont know!!!
    i played on 3 amps...Fender Reverb Deluxe, Fender Super Reverb, and i used them both on a small marshall mg series amp because thats what i have now....

what do you guys think?
  • as far as the guitars are concerned, get what feels best and suits your playing style.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • as far as the guitars are concerned, get what feels best and suits your playing style.

thats just it, i loved both the SG Special and Les Paul Standard
  • I would go with the SG for 2 reasons:

1) your cousin is holding it for you...how long do you expect him to do so?
    2) the teal is a discontinued color and is darn perrty; where as Epi LPs will be around forever.

• I would go with the SG for 2 reasons:

1) your cousin is holding it for you...how long do you expect him to do so?
    2) the teal is a discontinued color and is darn perrty; where as Epi LPs will be around forever.

yeah im think i will get the SG