what was the first FULL song you ever played?

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,132
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
on bass, guitar, or drums what was the first song you played FULLY, including intro, verse, chorus, solo, outro

mine was sadly Smells Like Teen Spirit...lol when i first started playing guitar i thought it was hard, now its so fuckin easy, its a joke, how did kurt get away with that?
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• technically speaking - "Happy Birthday" on acoustic guitar.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I'm not sure. I played random riffs for a long time before I learned any full songs. Maybe Corduroy?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Machine Head by Bush...i thought i was the shit once i played that whole thing for the first time. Oh the memories :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Bart138Bart138 Posts: 37
    Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead. Although I still fuck up those arpeggios once in a while.
  • Green Day - 'Basket Case' on guitar. Couple of years ago now.
  • VacantVacant Posts: 50
    Betterman on guitar.
    --Evenflow Psycho #0019--

Back after a 3 year personal hiatus!
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    An easy, chord-based version of 'Let Down' by Radiohead.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    on bass, guitar, or drums what was the first song you played FULLY, including intro, verse, chorus, solo, outro

mine was sadly Smells Like Teen Spirit...lol when i first started playing guitar i thought it was hard, now its so fuckin easy, its a joke, how did kurt get away with that?

That was the first song I could play also. I'm proud to say that, and I don't know why your embarrased. That song, and Nirvana was one of the reasons I picked up guitar. When I realized I could rock out just like Kurt with three easy power chords it was like a religious awakening. I will thank Cobain forever for that, even though I know play a lot more difficult music on guitar.

And don't knock simple songs. Usually the simplist songs are the best, or become classics. Smells Like Teen Spirit was one of those. It was a riff heard 'round the world.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Sathogwa wrote:
    That was the first song I could play also. I'm proud to say that, and I don't know why your embarrased. That song, and Nirvana was one of the reasons I picked up guitar. When I realized I could rock out just like Kurt with three easy power chords it was like a religious awakening. I will thank Cobain forever for that, even though I know play a lot more difficult music on guitar.

And don't knock simple songs. Usually the simplist songs are the best, or become classics. Smells Like Teen Spirit was one of those. It was a riff heard 'round the world.

well i dont like the song, i mean i fuckin love nirvana, top 5 bands for me...but i cant stand that song
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Maybe La Bamba, but not at the right tempo.

I can play lots of PJ songs, but I usually have to play along to get the right speed.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • well all at the same time, umm voodo child, ummm alive, yellow ledbeter,.

with my teeth ofcourse.

actually blowin in the wind. D G D G A D G
    But you break like a little girl.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Mine was also Smells Like Teen Spirit. I thought Nirvana was the greatest band in the world, but i can't stand them now. Going back and listening to their stuff is funny because IMO Kurt played shit on the guitar. That's why i love Pearl Jam, the guitar work kicks ass.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    R.E.M. - Country Feedback
    on acoustic guitar!
  • Clash - London Calling
    followed by Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Per sognare altri mondi non è mai troppo tardi
    Another world is possible
  • I Found Out - John Lennon
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    well all at the same time, umm voodo child, ummm alive, yellow ledbeter,.

with my teeth ofcourse.

actually blowin in the wind. D G D G A D G

i still cant get the strum for that. i was actually trying it again last night.

my first complete was polly by nirvana, followed by or maybe even before polly RITFW. either way its one of those. and both were right around the same time.
  • i cant get yellow ledbetter, i dunno why

voodoo child is pretty simple

alive, took time ;)
  • Hey, I've been playing for 5 years and was only getting riffs and some chord work and parts of songs down until you guys mentioned Teen Spirit. I just figured it out in about five minutes. I had played with the tab before and couldn't figure it out but, hell, I must be making some progress because it was SOOOOO easy. Thanks Kurt.
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • Hey, I've been playing for 5 years and was only getting riffs and some chord work and parts of songs down until you guys mentioned Teen Spirit. I just figured it out in about five minutes. I had played with the tab before and couldn't figure it out but, hell, I must be making some progress because it was SOOOOO easy. Thanks Kurt.

yeah i know, the only problem i had with it was figuring out whether when you strum during the HELLO HELLO HELLO if that was distortion or not...
  • yeah i know, the only problem i had with it was figuring out whether when you strum during the HELLO HELLO HELLO if that was distortion or not...
    I pick the two notes with some distortion but some chorus works good with it too. Maybe some fuzz, i don't know?
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • covincovin Posts: 42
    You pick during the prechorus of Teen Spirit. The timing is
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

I think.

It's just hard to hear because he's using so much distortion, but if you listen closely you can pick it up.
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    think it was black or betterman..
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • on bass, guitar, or drums what was the first song you played FULLY, including intro, verse, chorus, solo, outro

i actually learned all these at ones, so i'm not sure which one was first

Hurt - Johnny Cash
    Romanza - Traditional
    Sometimes - Pearl Jam
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    might have been neil young's helpless or a green day song, or a blink 182 song or something, i listened to a lot of crap back in the day, along with the good stuff.
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    I learned a few songs on the drums at the same time
    PJ-Even flow
    nirvana-smells like teen spirit
    Ramones-Teenage labotomy

~P@M~
  • Tim7514Tim7514 Posts: 6
    I learned like 100 Bob Dylan songs in like one week on guitar
    first one I think was Hurricane (that F chord was tough)

Now I'm learning Piano
    my first song was Closer by the Wallflowers
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Running Free by Iron Maiden many moons ago!:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • Tim7514 wrote:
    I learned like 100 Bob Dylan songs in like one week on guitar
    first one I think was Hurricane (that F chord was tough)

Now I'm learning Piano
    my first song was Closer by the Wallflowers

your 1st week of playing guitar? Are you God?
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    last kiss was my first