Traynor YCV40WR...Review

2»

Comments

• Try turning the gain down on the OD channel, and then try the TS-9, it will respond and sound better that way.

All of the YVC series amps put out by Traynor sound a little different. My 80 is a full out ballsy amp. More of a heavier rock sound than the smaller combos. It also has a master volume which helps control the volume, but sucks some of the tone. I could turn the master up to full, but then you can't even get to 1 on the regular volume without shattering something. When gigging, it only ever made it up to 3 or 4, unmiced.

Each of the amps they make have their place and they all sound pretty damn good. The Celestion Seventy/80 speakers are bit shitty at first, but once they're broken in, they're perfect. I actually like them better than the Greenbacks.

They are going up in price though. I got my 80 3 and a half years ago for like 700 CDN, now they're like 1100 or something like that. :)
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    amazing how much more expressive and harmonic the amp becomes isn't it.

The 10 watt difference between the 40 watt and the 50 watt is really not all that great in terms of volume depending on how you choose to run it. Adding a speaker cab with more speakers would make it considerably louder because more air would be moved but essentially the tube character is what will really be noticeable. It just depends on the sound you prefer especially when the power tubes begin to be overdriven. EL34's generally tend to have a tighter bass response with lower head room than the 6L6. 5881's have even more headroom. 6L6's yield a beautiful esoteric glassy clean tone we all know and love. EL34's provide the warm wooly british overdrive tone we all know and love.

I have the YCX212 cab for my amp, and it doesn't actually make it louder. I actually think it gets a little quieter. I've never seen that with other amps. The cab gives it a tight bass response and just generally rocks the shit out of the place. :)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have the YCX212 cab for my amp, and it doesn't actually make it louder. I actually think it gets a little quieter. I've never seen that with other amps. The cab gives it a tight bass response and just generally rocks the shit out of the place. :)

THis is from Ted Weber's site. It's pretty interesting.

I have a 20/50 watt THD 'plexi' amp which I run either 2-EL84s or 2-EL34s.
    In order to get rich distortion and compression, it must be played loud. I would like to get that sound at lower levels, so I intend to purchase a THD HotPlate or similar attenuator. I understand that at lower volumes, the sensitivity of the ear changes according to a Fletcher-Munson curve, so I'm wondering what kind of speaker cabinet or system I should use to compensate at the lower volumes?

Steve, that's true about the F-M curve and the correction needed at the lower volumes. I would have to recommend though, before using a power attenuator that you go through the calculations or have a professional amplifier technician advise you on its use with regards to steady state power handling and thermal dissipation capabilities of your output circuit. There's some 'sonic psychology' involved here, in that as you are listening comfortably to the lower, attenuated level of acoustic power, the output circuit is still giving it all it's got. So, since your ear hears the lower level, it isn't quite so evident that the output circuit is working so hard. The bottom line is that the output transformer is heating up, it might be in saturation alot of the time, you lose some bass due to the saturation as well as increased resistance of the windings due to heating, etc. As far as speakers go, depending on how much attenuation you want to dial in, you'll probably want to get the most effecient speakers you can find. The bottom line is that you are attenuating the big amp down to the power level of a small amp, so you need a speaker that will make the small amp sound huge. If you want to restore alot of the highs, you might go with a Kendrick 10, which is very efficient at the high end. As far as AlNiCo vs Ceramic goes, since you aren't going to really blast the speakers with a high average volume, that is to say alot of your tone (distortion plus compression) will be coming from your output circuit, I think Ceramics would work just fine, and save you some money.
    Additional comments submitted by Joe Pampel:
    Another option you might consider is the use of a closed back or sealed cabinet. With an open back, you lose a little bass due to cancellation between the rear and front. In a closed back, that problem diminishes, however it takes more power to get the same loudness. Also, rather than using high efficient speakers as suggested above, you might actually prefer lower efficient speakers. Assuming you'll have plenty of power to put into either the power attenuator or the speaker, you can put less in the attenuator and more in the speaker for a given loudness. You might find that this arrangement will give you more overall control of your tone at the loudness you desire.}
    the softer output is due to the ratings on the speakers. If you had say a 100 watt 12 inch, or say 4 25 watt 12" speakers on an ab switch the 4 12's are going to be louder when fed the same wattage because the surface area moving air is greater. Vintage 30's are 60 watt speakers. thus the 120 watts peak instead of 60. This is what is causing the drop in volume, regardless you are gaining the tightness the cabinet yields. If you added 10 watts in that case to your multiple speaker array it would make a considerable difference in the volume. But on 1 speaker, it's not tremendously different.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • well whenever i have to put new tubes in, im putting the ones that are in now, sounds so great! the speaker isnt even broken in and it sounds great...

when you make the amp louder on the over drive you have to lower the presence other wise your ears will bleed, haha
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    well whenever i have to put new tubes in, im putting the ones that are in now, sounds so great! the speaker isnt even broken in and it sounds great...

when you make the amp louder on the over drive you have to lower the presence other wise your ears will bleed, haha

nice. The speaker gets even better. It takes a little while to get it properly broken in.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    In fairness, that sounds bad on just about everything save maybe a Mesa.

the dreaded tone descriptive words. Traynors are good amps we know this. Fact is they can't sound like a Plexi regardless of guitar because the structure of the amp itself is just not wired that way, also the Vintage 30 while also excellent is nice warm and velvety but not the ceramic greenbacks most often paired with "Plexi's" of the late 60's.

It may indeed sound a bit like a modern marshall (1980's to the present) but it's pretty tough to get that plexi tone without actually cranking a plexi.

Well put. The Traynors overdive is much smoother than a marshal in my opinion.

On another note, I can't imagine turning down the mids all the way. Treble goes before the mids.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Well put. The Traynors overdive is much smoother than a marshal in my opinion.

On another note, I can't imagine turning down the mids all the way. Treble goes before the mids.

Yeah I agree. Treble must go, Mids must be boosted.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    THis is from Ted Weber's site. It's pretty interesting.

I have a 20/50 watt THD 'plexi' amp which I run either 2-EL84s or 2-EL34s.
    In order to get rich distortion and compression, it must be played loud. I would like to get that sound at lower levels, so I intend to purchase a THD HotPlate or similar attenuator. I understand that at lower volumes, the sensitivity of the ear changes according to a Fletcher-Munson curve, so I'm wondering what kind of speaker cabinet or system I should use to compensate at the lower volumes?

Steve, that's true about the F-M curve and the correction needed at the lower volumes. I would have to recommend though, before using a power attenuator that you go through the calculations or have a professional amplifier technician advise you on its use with regards to steady state power handling and thermal dissipation capabilities of your output circuit. There's some 'sonic psychology' involved here, in that as you are listening comfortably to the lower, attenuated level of acoustic power, the output circuit is still giving it all it's got. So, since your ear hears the lower level, it isn't quite so evident that the output circuit is working so hard. The bottom line is that the output transformer is heating up, it might be in saturation alot of the time, you lose some bass due to the saturation as well as increased resistance of the windings due to heating, etc. As far as speakers go, depending on how much attenuation you want to dial in, you'll probably want to get the most effecient speakers you can find. The bottom line is that you are attenuating the big amp down to the power level of a small amp, so you need a speaker that will make the small amp sound huge. If you want to restore alot of the highs, you might go with a Kendrick 10, which is very efficient at the high end. As far as AlNiCo vs Ceramic goes, since you aren't going to really blast the speakers with a high average volume, that is to say alot of your tone (distortion plus compression) will be coming from your output circuit, I think Ceramics would work just fine, and save you some money.
    Additional comments submitted by Joe Pampel:
    Another option you might consider is the use of a closed back or sealed cabinet. With an open back, you lose a little bass due to cancellation between the rear and front. In a closed back, that problem diminishes, however it takes more power to get the same loudness. Also, rather than using high efficient speakers as suggested above, you might actually prefer lower efficient speakers. Assuming you'll have plenty of power to put into either the power attenuator or the speaker, you can put less in the attenuator and more in the speaker for a given loudness. You might find that this arrangement will give you more overall control of your tone at the loudness you desire.}
    the softer output is due to the ratings on the speakers. If you had say a 100 watt 12 inch, or say 4 25 watt 12" speakers on an ab switch the 4 12's are going to be louder when fed the same wattage because the surface area moving air is greater. Vintage 30's are 60 watt speakers. thus the 120 watts peak instead of 60. This is what is causing the drop in volume, regardless you are gaining the tightness the cabinet yields. If you added 10 watts in that case to your multiple speaker array it would make a considerable difference in the volume. But on 1 speaker, it's not tremendously different.

Cool info, good to know. :)