Options

Post your set up!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    That's a pretty good arrangement...

Do you use the Rick-O-Sound, or the normal?

And is that the Interstellar Overdrive pre?

I have the adapter to split the signal, the only thing is that with the 900 I get a "full" stero sound without the split so I use normal. Yes its the interstellar pre.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by puremagic
    I have the adapter to split the signal, the only thing is that with the 900 I get a "full" stero sound without the split so I use normal. Yes its the interstellar pre.

The Interstellar definitely lives up to it's name...

Very nice!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    The Interstellar definitely lives up to it's name...

Very nice!

thank you.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'll just list my favorite
    bass lefty, rickenbacker,
    line6 bass pod pro,
    all swr rack
    4x10T,
    sm-900amp,
    overdrive preamp,
    and the foot controller for limited single effects which I switch out constantly.

nice to see you. Sweet rig I used to sell the SM-900s the tone shaping is very nice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I'll just list my favorite
    bass lefty, rickenbacker,
    line6 bass pod pro,
    all swr rack
    4x10T,
    sm-900amp,
    overdrive preamp,
    and the foot controller for limited single effects which I switch out constantly.

Whoa! Now there's a foot tappin' , window rattlin' , Fist pumpin' , innards shakin' set up:D Very cool!

After talking to paco and exhausted, today's setup:

"68 SG to
    a handmade by exhausted A/B box, A side to AKAI Headrush, to Fender Deluxe RI
    The B side to all the other stuff I've had laying around.
    Rick Gram Womantone,
    Vaughn modded Ts-9,
    Prescription Experience Box,
    Crybaby Wah,
    Rotovibe to
    Ibanez AD-9 analog delay,
    Modded Marshall Artiste 50 combo

Almost NO signal gets from my guitar through all those pedals to the amp!:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Whoa! Now there's a foot tappin' , window rattlin' , Fist pumpin' , innards shakin' set up:D Very cool!

"68 SG to
    Rick Gram Womantone,
    Vaughn modded Ts-9,
    Crybaby Wah,
    Rotovibe to

Bob, You need this, best input buffer there is. Ben Harper uses one I know

http://www.musictoyz.com/vht.htm
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Bob, You need this, best input buffer there is. Ben Harper uses one I know

http://www.musictoyz.com/vht.htm

If that thing does what it says... I'm in.

I need to solve this problem... I run my guitar through the following....

Ernie Ball Volume (passive)
    MXR Dyna-Comp
    MXR Phase 90
    Danelectro Daddy-O
    Ibanez DM1100 Digi Delay

Then into the Vibro-Champ. I'd love to run the Delay through an FX loop, but not an option on a 1965 amp. And the Delay is a pro-audio-style rack unit that operates at line-level, not signal-level... so I am really driving the preamp side of that Vibro-Champ hard with the delay. I need something to match the impedance and level of the signals and give the amp a more acceptable level. I have the same problem on my Bassman, but it's a beefier amp, so I'm less worried there. Maybe I need to just dump the delay and get a Boss... but I love the sound of my Ibanez... it's very analog for a digi delay.
  • Options
    http://www.vhtamp.com/frames.html

more info and FAQ's from the VHT site.

Look around. VHT makes some very nice stuff.

That buffer is quality man, Its a power supply as well. Check the inside liner notes on Ben Harpers, "Diamonds on the Inside, look at the pedalboard there it is.

we really don't discuss these types of problems here but cable capacitance is a really big problem. Most wah's don't have buffers and can really kill your tone when off, additionally an input buffer especially one as nice as this one can restore your sound through any number of effects and help reduce EMI interference because of the strong signal.
  • Options
    Guitar Player Magazine
    February 2001 Issue

Gizmo Alert: VHT Valvulator I
    I have plenty of clean gear—hum-canceling pickups, high-end amps, and rack effects connected with state-of the-art cable. But for some reason, my favorite rig is still my tired, noisy pedalboard. Consisting of six ratty old pedals with nary a true bypass in sight, it’s heavy on vibe, but also heavy on tone sucking and noise. This is where the VHT Valvulator ($189) comes to the rescue. Designed to eliminate noise, drive lots of cable, and improve your sound in the process, the Valvulator is a tube-driven, buffered preamp that can also supply power to up to eight effects.
    When I plugged into the rugged, stainless-steel box, and then into my pedalboard, the ever-present hum was gone. Gone. And I was still using the old power supplies! When I used the Valvulator’s isolated DC outputs to power my pedals, the sound got even cleaner. This was particularly helpful to my Korg ToneWorks delay, which had obviously never gotten enough juice from the pedalboard’s built-in power supply.
    But the tone wasn’t just quieter with the Valvulator in line—my effects sounded fuller and punchier, with better highs and more coherent lows. How does VHT accomplish these feats? Well, the device’s 12AX7 is slammed with high voltage, so plugging into the Valvulator is like plugging into the front end of a good tube amp—before you ever hit a pedal. The signal is then converted to low impedence, which eliminates the loading that occurs when multiple pedals are chained together.
    To see how effective the Valvulator was at driving long cable lengths, I strung together eight stompboxes with 80 feet of cable. Without the Valvulator, the tone had an indistinct top end accompanied by a faint squealing noise. I also noticed that my tone suffered horribly when I rolled my volume down—I lost even more treble and wildly increased audible hum. However, when I plugged into the Valvulator, the top end came back, the squeal went away, and my tone sounded glorious throughout the entire range of the volume pot.
    VHT recommends using the Valvulator’s second output to feed a tuner, but I couldn’t bear to waste a signal this cool on a tuner. I ran the output to another amp for a stereo rig with none of the signal loss that typically occurs when using a Y cable. I also found that plugging into the Valvulator before recording into a Roland VS-880 gave the 880’s internal amp simulations more body and warmth. It also improved the sound of direct-recorded bass and keyboards, and I even liked what it did to an old drum machine. The Valvulator is definitely the closest thing to a "magic box" that I’ve heard in a long time. —Matt Blackett
  • Options
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?

"68 SG to
    Rick Gram Womantone,
    Vaughn modded Ts-9,
    Crybaby Wah,
    Rotovibe to

Showoff, one day when I'm feeling catty and actually know what I'm doing I'll post one of my guitar setups.
  • Options
    Showoff, one day when I'm feeling catty and actually know what I'm doing I'll post one of my guitar setups.

:)
    I have a feeling that you would win the Sports Illustrated special "Gear Drooler" edition! Take a picture of the setup on a mountain top or on the beach somewhere:D

That actually wasn't a show off set up. I just had that stuff out.

It sounds horrible! The rotovibe is the worst tone sucker, and the prescription box sounds good sometimes, but it needs to be fixed up or modded to be consistently usable.

(Hmm, any takers?)

Paco,, Thanks. I've never seen that buffer. That actually looks very cool and reasonable price for a preamp and power supply. When I used a lot of effects, I ran a preamp before the pedals. One thing I used later was a Mesa Boogie V-twin in front of the effects. That boosted the signal pretty well.

The coolest set up I ever saw was Jerry Garcia's. I had a friend who was a tech for the Grateful Dead, and I looked over his stuff every once in a while. It was different everytime I saw them. His last guitar had stereo cables and a balanced cable coming out with true bypass switches on the guitar. It was a chaotic looking mess on stage, but sounded great. Jerry was actually an electronic whiz and developed a lot of that stuff himself. He ran his guitar through a Macintosh home stereo amp as a preamp for the effects for a while. There were homemade speaker boxes and plywood shelves all over!
    I have a schematic of his guitar around somewhere. It is a marvel that was packed into that thing.
    Be kind, man
    :)
    I have a schematic of his guitar around somewhere. It is a marvel that was packed into that thing.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/615/
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    http://guitargeek.com/rigview/615/

That's an old one!

You should have seen the late 80's road weary," maybe a little to much acid and heroin" rig!

http://dozin.com/jers/rig.html

Edit,,, that's the same one.
    I perceive amazing things when I pay attention!
    Be kind, man
  • Options
    My buddy Chris, said Jerry wrote all the specs for his guitar and developed all his own sound. I don't think there are any other guitarists that could paint a picture with sound, they way he could on stage.

Sometimes the band would ramble along, ebbing and flowing, but then suddenly, when they would start on a journey, and the whole crowd would be on the ride together. There would be this collective "satisfaction" that I've never seen anything like it, and it doesn't transfer to tape, and it is tough to explain. Kind of a musical orgasm. It would even happen when I was sober and straight, so it wasn't just the drugs!
    Be kind, man
    That buffer is quality man, Its a power supply as well. Check the inside liner notes on Ben Harpers, "Diamonds on the Inside, look at the pedalboard there it is.

I found one of those in a pawn shop today for $99. I want it. I am broke. DAMN IT!!!!