Amp Ideas

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any good Ideas for a New amp, without spending thousands of dollars? I've got a Marshall 2-12 combo valvestate amp right now and I'm looking to trade up on something with a much thicker sound? I've got a PRS and I want something to produce a really thick rock sound....I'd like to stay away from a full cab if I can help it. Any Ideas....Mesa, marshall?..others Make and model would be nice then I can search for it.
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nailz100 wrote:
    Any good Ideas for a New amp, without spending thousands of dollars? I've got a Marshall 2-12 combo valvestate amp right now and I'm looking to trade up on something with a much thicker sound? I've got a PRS and I want something to produce a really thick rock sound....I'd like to stay away from a full cab if I can help it. Any Ideas....Mesa, marshall?..others Make and model would be nice then I can search for it.

What's your price cieling? and are you opposed to say a 4x10 cabinet as opposed to 2 12's?

Either way, I think you should definately look at Mesa if you are not afraid to turn knobs.

Rivera is another company to definately check out.

http://www.mesaboogie.com

The Mesa Heartbreaker, Nomad, single dual and triple rectifiers will treat you well as would a Mesa F-50 or F-100 depending on price and volume needs.

If you want the be all end all amp and you have incredible patience you could always audition a Road King thought it may take you a year to find all the knobs.

I like THD quite a bit too, as well as maybe an Orange AD-30R.

If you want to stick with Marshall I'm sure a used JCM 900 Combo would be available.

Also Reeves Amplifiers carries on the DR (Dave Reeves) "Hiwatt" era.

Or you could buy a Hiwatt. Or a Soldano, Or if you're just insanely Wealthy....Diezel VH4

My personal currently built faves, The new Fender 58 Tweed Twin with webber designed speakers and dual rectification, and the new Lacquered Tweed 59 Bassman.

Dr Z makes some sweet 2x12 combos as does Top Hat, and a crap load of others.

I'd look at Mesa hard though. I think that may be what you're looking for.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I would suggest getting a Mesa Boogie F-50 combo amp and adding a 1x12" SEALED-BACK speaker cabinet.

If you want thick, you REALLY NEED a closed-back (sealed-back) speaker cabinet. Size is your preference... 1x12", 2x12", 4x10", 4x12"...

I used to own a Peavey 1x12" cabinet that was closed-back and had a Sheffield speaker in it. That thing had tons of chunk and body. If nothing else, you could look for one of those and add it as an extension to your Marshall and see if that's what you've been looking for.

But I sincerely believe that the sealed-back speaker is more important for your search than the amp itself.

See here:

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/details/item/00486060/wc/1A1B214/fam/TT/tcode/4/112sx.cfm

OR

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/GCabSelector.htm and look for:
    1x12 Rectifier Cabinet Design

featuring the legendary "Over-Sized"
    Recto-Closed Back Cabinet Construction that has made the Recto Cabinet Designs the worlds most revered for massive, authoritative tone! Fear This!!!

Additional Features:
    1x12, 70 Watts, Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker, 8 Ohms
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Thanks Pac, yeah I guess I should narrow it down for you. Right now I have a marshall 2-12 combo (older valvestate). The thing has been like a tank since i've bought it. I've took it in for repair only once since I bought it...probably back in 96 or so. I've played numerous gigs with it....hauling gear does a number on your equipment and yet it just keeps tickin. Since I bought my PRS tremonti I have been looking to "beef", improve my sound a bit, from the advice of some musicians and also members of the band....not because of the guitar, just because its time to upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I think my sound is good....but I know I can get better. I have friends that have full size road kings and cabs and are still trying to get a sound they are happy with.

What I am looking for is this: A GOOD solid 2 X 12 combo amp...I do not want to get a full cab. Plus I am a singer/ guitar player...If I have to get a head with a small cab to get the sound I want, then so be it. I play anywhere from 30-50 shows a year, so its got to be tough and durable.

THIS GOES FOR ANYONE ON THIS BOARD.

If you can list me your choices for the top 3 combo amps with a thick, full, rich alternative sound. I don't care what make, model, anything is....just your picks for the best amp...price range 0-$1500....I don't care if it is used. I am going to take my time picking out the right amp....any suggestions are appreciated.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    If you can list me your choices for the top 3 combo amps with a thick, full, rich alternative sound. I don't care what make, model, anything is....just your picks for the best amp...price range 0-$1500....I don't care if it is used. I am going to take my time picking out the right amp....any suggestions are appreciated.

I ask you one favor: Please go down to a music store and try it before you wave me off...

Peavey Bandit II with the 1x12" sealed-back extension cab. That gives you 2x12" (one in the amp, and the extension) and plenty of power, easily portable, in fact easier to carry than your Valvestate combo because you can carry one in each hand, or one at a time, two trips. And it'll pack the same, if not easier.

But seriously, give it a try. Plug in, select the Distortion channel, and use the Modern setting.

IF you try this out, you will be amazed. I promise you. But it HAS to be a Bandit II, and it HAS to have the matching sealed-back extension cab with the Sheffield speaker.
    I'll try it MIG....but I had a bandit II once and I HATED it, traded it in for the Marshall.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    I'll try it MIG....but I had a bandit II once and I HATED it, traded it in for the Marshall.

If you've had your Marshall since at least '96, you didn't trade a Bandit II for it. Bandit II came out about three years ago.

And the extension cab is the necessary ingredient. That single 12" Sheffield in a closed box is key.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Thanks Pac, yeah I guess I should narrow it down for you. Right now I have a marshall 2-12 combo (older valvestate). The thing has been like a tank since i've bought it. I've took it in for repair only once since I bought it...probably back in 96 or so. I've played numerous gigs with it....hauling gear does a number on your equipment and yet it just keeps tickin. Since I bought my PRS tremonti I have been looking to "beef", improve my sound a bit, from the advice of some musicians and also members of the band....not because of the guitar, just because its time to upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I think my sound is good....but I know I can get better. I have friends that have full size road kings and cabs and are still trying to get a sound they are happy with.

What I am looking for is this: A GOOD solid 2 X 12 combo amp...I do not want to get a full cab. Plus I am a singer/ guitar player...If I have to get a head with a small cab to get the sound I want, then so be it. I play anywhere from 30-50 shows a year, so its got to be tough and durable.

THIS GOES FOR ANYONE ON THIS BOARD.

Nails, just to narrow things down (I feel like fucking Match.com) I understand you guys are playing alternative music, but what is your role in the band, obviously you're playing rhythm but do you play all the time?, are you always playing the tremonti?

I guess I'm trying to find the character you like here. How much gain do you usually run on the valvestate? Medium? High? That was a great series for marshall, IMHO better than the new AVS2000's.

Give me a few bands that you guys may sound a bit like (not pigeonholing, I'm just trying to break down the list a bit)

I think a combo would still fit you well simply because of the ease of transportation, I'd shop at the same time for a padded road case, tubes are not as forgiving as transistors when it comes to bumping and banging them about.

The Mesa F-50 or F 100 will certainly give you plenty of good tones, but the Stiletto may actually fit better, I'd really like to see you check out a Heartbreaker 4x10. It really depends on the gain range you primarily use. If it's High. Definately go with Mesa.

In the slightly more expensive range a 95 era Matchless Chieftan is the dogs balls. It's less for the high gain but you won't find much better tone in a combo.

I think Orange/Vox is a little to niche britpop for you though all will get the job done if pushed hard, Mine does anyway. Sweeter brighter sound than your Marshall depending on the model. You probably aren't getting into the 140 watt master volume models anyway.

Ah, and it may be your holy grail. If you can find some idiot that will part with his used Bogner Shiva (1x12) combo in your price range just do it, trust me. Dripping, ooozing with tone.

I haven't had a chance to play much of the DR Z stuff, but House 53 has for quite some time, (He's on a Top Hat combo now I think) The SRZ-65/45 is perfect for you, but they are more Fendery than Marshally. I think you need to stay in the newish Marshall vibe.

A JCM 800/900/2000 DSL combo may be perfect for you as well and should be the benchmark.

You may also find your tone in a Mesa Mavrick.

Just ebay a few of those names and check on prices, then try and find them to play.

My top 3 choices for you would be......
    Bogner Shiva,
    Matchless Cheiftan (or any other Matchless)
    Mesa Boogie (anything, you'll have to play them to decide)

also good any modern (1980's--->) Marshall JCM 2x12 combo preferably with Vintage 30's or Celestion Greenbacks, though the 80 watt celestions are great too if you play loud.

I'm not saying buy from Ebay but you get the IDEA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3768886906&rd=1
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Yeah, that cab looks pretty sweet MIG. I was actually looking at that snakeskin mesa combo too Paco...a little too country of a design, but probably sounds pretty good. My role in the band is I play guitar and sing...sometimes just sing. We play stuff like incubus, pearl jam, rage...older shit, newer shit, all of the above. I guess I would say Incubus, pearl jam sounding??? Basically I just want a really good sounding amp....of course I will try out any amp before I buy it, and I'm in no hurry. I really love the incubus guitar sound, especially on Make yourself. I like things simple as far as guitar sounds goes though....one "marshall style" footswitch...clean and dirty, anything else is just extra. I wish our site was up, you could listen to some of our originals and that might help you narrow it down....don't know if you heard them before. http://www.theretroman.com

I've never heard of bogner shiva or matchless before but I'll definately check them out. In the past year or so I've been focusing mostly on my vocal stuff, and now that I have all that stuff its time to focus on my guitar sound. As far as gain, I'd say medium to high. Both you and MIG mentioned the Mesa F-50 combo amp, so i'll look at that one for shure.....

....searching for bogner shiva & matchless's......searching....searching
    You mean like this one?

e-BAY #3769349235.....I don't know how to paste the link in!
    e-bay #3770183318 drool...
  • nailz100 wrote:
    You mean like this one?

e-BAY #3769349235.....I don't know how to paste the link in!

If it's this thing (and I think it is)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3769349235

NO! It's just the cabinet and speaker, the amp has been removed.

Now, the other one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3770183318

That's pretty sweet.

I can't state enough, though, that for what you're describing, I think a sealed-back speaker cab is VERY important. Like that Bogner cab... perfect.
    Yeah, I just realized the head wasn't in that one...oops. Any Idea where Matchless and Bogn Shiva is manufactured....will definately affect shipping to Canada. And the cab you were talking about MIG....I am very tempted...
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Yeah, I just realized the head wasn't in that one...oops. Any Idea where Matchless and Bogn Shiva is manufactured....will definately affect shipping to Canada. And the cab you were talking about MIG....I am very tempted...

The Groove Tubes cab? Won't ship to Canada. Sorry.

But it's a damned nice cabinet. I love 4x10"s. I already own two ;)

There was an Electro Harmonix cab for sale on eBay about 6 months ago (some might remember) that I was in love with... 4x10", white pine construction (two layers except the baffle!). I wish I could've bought that.

Now, I have one of these, and I love it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3769199789&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

See also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3769833129&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

http://www.matchlessamplifiers.com/match00.html

Los Angeles, Ca.

How about:

http://www.sovtek.com/

Russia, komrade.
    Actually MIG, they will ship that Cab to Canada...I asked him. I don't know anywhere around here that sells bogner Shiva or Matchless amps....the search is on...
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Actually MIG, they will ship that Cab to Canada...I asked him. I don't know anywhere around here that sells bogner Shiva or Matchless amps....the search is on...

Maybe Ex could help you find someone in the area...

I'd seriously try running your current amp through a sealed-back speaker cab and see if that helps. If you could pick up a cabinet and have that fix your problem, it'd be a lot cheaper for now and you could bide your time finding the right amp later.
  • i would suggest getting a peavey classic man. not the new ones on musiciansfriend.com but i would check on ebay for a half stack package. peavey classics usually only go for 400 to 500 bucks and its all tube. these amps are really nice and alot of people who own the marshall valvestate amps hate them except for the avt's. but bah or you could go for a marshall jcm 900 which the head can go for 400 to 600 dollars and just get a kustom cab fitted with celestions but i dunno man i suggest just looking at various amps. guitar center seems to steer people ina good direstion but i would also check out bigger local shops.
    Hey Mig, how about that cabinet we we talking about with a bogner or matchless head on it? There are only two places in Canada that sell bogner, the closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away, but I might go check it out....everyone I have talked to has told me to buy new instead of used.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Hey Mig, how about that cabinet we we talking about with a bogner or matchless head on it? There are only two places in Canada that sell bogner, the closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away, but I might go check it out....everyone I have talked to has told me to buy new instead of used.

Ouch, 2.5 hours. that sucks, mines just around the corner, I go there during lunch sometimes.

Used a bogner is affordable for you, New its more than you really want to shell out I think, but it's essentially modern marshall perfection. It's Marshall without cutting corners. Smooth, harmonically rich, sonic excellence.

So I'm a tone snob......STOP LOOKING AT ME SWAN!!
    I am a little worried buying used though....no warranty, plus those shipping guys aren't exactly easy on their cargo....and its a tube amp. There's a few combo's selling on e-bay for around $1500 US....but I'd definately want to play one before I bought one
    nailz100 wrote:
    I am a little worried buying used though....no warranty, plus those shipping guys aren't exactly easy on their cargo....and its a tube amp. There's a few combo's selling on e-bay for around $1500 US....but I'd definately want to play one before I bought one

yeah, and it's tough to trust an Ebay packer and seller for that matter.

I'm with you there.

Definately no matter what you do, get a padded road case for that baby. You can set the amp on top of it on stage and it will save some costly expenses.

Did you find any Mesa shops?
    There are alot of Mesa dealers around here. I went into the store yesterday and tried out an Orange (not heavy enough), a Marshall (good dirty sound, poor clean sound), and 2 Mesa's (good clean sound, poor dirty sound)... I heard some of the soundclips on the Bogner website and the thing sounds pretty damn good! Maybe buying off e-bay is the way to go, as long as the seller does a damn good job of packing it...and stamping it fragile.
  • Yah,

I stressed over and over the extreme packing of my hiwatt to my seller. He ensured me it would be packed awesomely. It came in a box. Like just a box that barely fit it. No padding. Lucky for me the thing is built like a tank.

My hair would be falling out if I ever ordered another tube amp over ebay.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Are you saying don't do it?

I guess I could buy a padded roadcase on E-bay....ship it to the seller and have him pack the amp in it and send it to me....hahaha
  • Well I am saying it's hard to trust a seller to pack an amp. If possible find one that has sold many many amps. If this is the case it is much more likely they will do a thourough packing job cause they know it's in their best interest too.
    Yah,

I stressed over and over the extreme packing of my hiwatt to my seller. He ensured me it would be packed awesomely. It came in a box. Like just a box that barely fit it. No padding. Lucky for me the thing is built like a tank.

My hair would be falling out if I ever ordered another tube amp over ebay.

Ya. Hiwatt.....built to survive Pete Townsend. The actual reason he switched from Marshalls. He kept busting them.
    Paco, would you say its better to get a 1 X 12" bogner or a 2 X 12" bogner...I checked on their website and they're almost exactly the same price...give or take a couple hun.
  • "they're almost exactly the same price...give or take a couple hun"

You know your spending a ton when... :)