Get this Bullsh*t..

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So MIG and Paco, and everyone else...
I told you I was going to drive 3 hours to the nearest bogner dealer and try a few of their amps out. So while I am down there I call them and ask them what they have in stock....they tell me they have on Ectasy head left, but it has been sold and the owner does not want anyone playing it...which is totally understandable. So I ask them when they are getting more in stock and they tell me they don't know, and even if they did have them in stock I would not be able to play them. I'm like "Pardon"....and she tells me that they do not let anyone play them because they are too expensive. She says that in 2 or 3 months they might have a showcase on bogner amps where the salesman does a demo of each amp....wow, alot of good that does me when I am not even able to PLAY a F*ckin amp that I want to own!! I am pretty much set on a Shive EL34 head (thanks to Paco, and all the other people I've talked to) But I'd at least like to TRY ONE OUT before I pay over $2000 for one. I mean, give me a break!!...I'm not going to fly to Toronto or the states just to play with an amp for half an hour. I almost flipped out on the lady I talked to. Its like buying a pet, but you only get to see the pictures....you can't play with him or hold him.....Give Me a F*ckin break....>man I am so pissed off!
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    let me guess.... guitarworks, right?
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    No....The Guitar Connection in Calgary. If you check the Bogner website you'll notice that there are only two dealers in all of Canada...one in Calgary and one in Toronto. (I live in Edmonton) So pretty much I'm F*cked if I want to try one of these anytime soon....unless I fly to Toronto.
    yeah, i just went and checked. that does suck. and so does the guitar connection. they overcharge ruthlessly anyway and their store is a shithole.
    i'd drop a note to bogner itself to let them know what the dealer is doing. it's directly resulting in the loss of sales.
    Find me an e-mail address for them and I'd be glad to....I can't find one on their website.
  • jeez...you can try a car out, it costs much more than 2000 bucks, ya know? sorry dude, i would definitely let someone in authority know about what you have went through
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
    nailz100 wrote:
    Find me an e-mail address for them and I'd be glad to....I can't find one on their website.

phone them.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    definately phone them and ask to at least leave a message for reinhold bogner. How the fuck can you be expected to purchase an amp that you can't play? Shit, get someone in the store to play them. It's a fucking guitar amp and it's over 2 grand, if it's so fragile that it would break in the store under supervision how could they fucking sell it. Stupid trogloditic bitches. One gets the feeling they don't sell much of anything.

That's bullshit. The problem is Bogner is such a small company and there are so many orders it's often months before stores replenish thier stock, Mesa Boogie used to be the exact same way.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I know guys, I know....its crap. An e-mail address would be more helpfull though, since I live up in the land of Eskimos.....or a 1-800 phone number?
    $2000 amp
    $5 phone call. if that.
    oh, Cell Phone is free. or a calling card. I'll look.

BOGNER AMPLIFICATION 11411 Vanowen St. North Hollywood, Ca. 91605
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • It's all been said, but I'll say it, too... that's f*cked up.

Tell them you were interested in a Bad Cat, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    It's all been said, but I'll say it, too... that's f*cked up.

Tell them you were interested in a Bad Cat, too.

and of course to get bad cat means you have to deal with the other bullshit store in town.
  • exhausted wrote:
    and of course to get bad cat means you have to deal with the other bullshit store in town.

I meant use it as an idle threat...

Get a Sovtek. Nobody will refuse a test-drive on a Sovtek. And they look bad-ass.
    I caught you a delicious bass and I built you a cake.
    Maybe MIG, but I really had my heart set on a Shiva EL34....just wanted to try one out to push me over the top. The only thing I am a little concerned with is the distortion channel possibly not having enought drive/ grit for the style I am playing. I have read reviews on harmony central and they said a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 can solve that problem by increasing the gain and giving you more freedom with your boosts, so I might just end up getting a Shiva EL34 head with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 pedal.....I haven't totally decided on the cab yet. Tell you what....How bout some of you go into a music store and try out a Shiva EL34 for me with a Fulltone pedal and tell me what you think? Since I can't PLAY the F*ckin Thing!
    nailz100 wrote:
    Maybe MIG, but I really had my heart set on a Shiva EL34....just wanted to try one out to push me over the top. The only thing I am a little concerned with is the distortion channel possibly not having enought drive/ grit for the style I am playing. I have read reviews on harmony central and they said a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 can solve that problem by increasing the gain and giving you more freedom with your boosts, so I might just end up getting a Shiva EL34 head with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 pedal.....I haven't totally decided on the cab yet. Tell you what....How bout some of you go into a music store and try out a Shiva EL34 for me with a Fulltone pedal and tell me what you think? Since I can't PLAY the F*ckin Thing!

will do, the local Fulltone/Bogner dealer is about 2 miles from where I work.
    Thanks Paco....I appreciate it. Like I said, its not so much the clean tones or "tone" in general that I am worried about....I just want to make sure the distortion is raunchy enough for my liking (say Three Days Grace, Chevelle...ish)....hopefully the Fulltone will add a bit...it'll probably go through tubes like crazy though? Also is it possible to go from the clean channel (channel 1) straight to the boost channel (channel 3) or do you have to click the distortion first and then the boost? I hear the boost adds alot of tone an grit...I would like to only click it once since I am singing all the time. Since I can't try one I have NO F*CKING IDEA!
    nailz100 wrote:
    Thanks Paco....I appreciate it. Like I said, its not so much the clean tones or "tone" in general that I am worried about....I just want to make sure the distortion is raunchy enough for my liking (say Three Days Grace, Chevelle...ish)....hopefully the Fulltone will add a bit...it'll probably go through tubes like crazy though? Also is it possible to go from the clean channel (channel 1) straight to the boost channel (channel 3) or do you have to click the distortion first and then the boost? I hear the boost adds alot of tone an grit...I would like to only click it once since I am singing all the time. Since I can't try one I have NO F*CKING IDEA!

it's all footswitchable channel reverb and boost and there are several options on the rear of the amp, so yeah you can have the boost engaged, on channel 2. you may need the fulltone but I think you'll be suprised with how dynamic the tone is. There is plenty of gain available. If you were that influenced by pre gain you'd probably be more into Mesa Boogie. You'll get plenty of mileage out of the tubes, the ones you'd be slamming are cheaper preamp tubes anyway. I do that to mine and I haven't had any issues in a year and a half now. This amps #2 channel provides an extremely dynamic rock tone and that's about the best I can describe it. Your guitar should match up really well with it.
    So I can engage the boost straight from the clean channel and it'll jump to channel 3? How easy is it to change out the tubes in these bad boys? I will be playing alot of shows with it, so obviously I'll get a hard case with the head, but I also want to make sure that its not going to crap out on me all the time. How long to change the tubes? How many are there? If I have any service problems is there any change that someone here could fix it without me sending it all the way to Bogner?...it'll be used anyways (I guess thats something I should look into before I buy it)
    nailz100 wrote:
    So I can engage the boost straight from the clean channel and it'll jump to channel 3? How easy is it to change out the tubes in these bad boys? I will be playing alot of shows with it, so obviously I'll get a hard case with the head, but I also want to make sure that its not going to crap out on me all the time. How long to change the tubes? How many are there? If I have any service problems is there any change that someone here could fix it without me sending it all the way to Bogner?...it'll be used anyways (I guess thats something I should look into before I buy it)

I guess you've never actually physically seen one, it's very smartly laid out, much more space than in a marshall, there should be specs somewhere on the Bogner site, I know I've seen them. It's essentially an amp built by people who work on amps so they are by nature going to design it to be worked on easily if there's an issue. I'm not sure on the number of tubes I'll have to look again.

"Using the Shiva without the footswitch: Some people may not need to use their footswitch because they only need one channel to play thru. The Shiva defaults to the Clean channel with the Reverb on when no footswitch is plugged in, however to activate the High gain channel without using the footswitch you have two options: First option, plug in a "shorted" mono 1/4" instrument plug, this will give you the High gain channel with the Boost function engaged as well. Second option: plug in a "shorted" stereo 1/4" instrument plug, this will give you the High gain channel without the Boost function. Shorted means the tip and sleeve/ground are connected, using a "right-angle" plug is a good idea also since it has a low profile and will not protude out from the amp chassis very much. Also you can easily short the 1/4" plug internally, just solder a jumper between the two contacts."

. Tubes

EL34's should be only Svetlana or old stock Siemens/Telefunken/Mullard. Other brands may work but it's risky because of the high plate voltage we use. 6L6 should be Svetlana or Sovtec 5881, we prefer the first. For preamp tubes you could use everything from 12AX7, 7025, ECC82, ECC83, 12AXWB,1 2AX7WA, 12AT7 etc. Sovtek, EI, Electro Harmonix, Chinese, Tesla, GE, Philips, Telefunken, RCA etc. We prefer the Chinese 12AX7A's.

The Shiva has 6 preamp tubes (7 in reverb model) which do the following:

1st (closest to input jack) > Ch 1+2 > check that one if your amp gets noisy or microphonic.

2nd+3rd > Ch2 only

4th > one part (triode) Ch 1, second part for the loop send (affects both chanels)

5th > loop return (affects both chanels)

6th (second row in center of chassis) > phase inverter (affects both chanels)

7th (second row towards side of chassis) > reverb

Note: If you want to experiment with different tubes the first 3 tubes are the most noticeable ones, soundwise. The less gain the tube has and the earlier the tube is in the sound chain (1st, 2nd,..) the less noisy your amp is.

Make sure you turn your amp off when you switch tubes and be careful the tubes might be very hot!! Do not touch tube sockets with fingers? Even after turning your amp off and unplugging it from the power outlet there could be enough voltage stored in the capacitors to give you a lethal electrical shock.

you can see the tube layout on the bogner website, under the shiva. you can see how much space it gives the tubes to breath so even playing them loud they don't get too hot.
    Thanks Paco....you're right, no i've never seen one (only in pictures) Still didn't answer my question though if you can engage the boost straight from the clean channel? I know it doesn't boost the clean, but can you go straight from clean to channel 3? (as they call it)...or do you have to footswitch to channel 2 and then to the boost channel (I'll need the footswitch because I sing all the time)

Again, how easy is it to change these tubes out...say at a live show during set break? and how much do they cost? (I have never owned a tube amp before)

Of course I will not be able to afford this head for a little while now, but its good to know everything about it before I buy it....it is a big investment.
    Oh, also is there a led indicator on the amp to let you know what channel you are one (a feature I found very helpful on my Marshall)?
    nailz100 wrote:
    Oh, also is there a led indicator on the amp to let you know what channel you are one (a feature I found very helpful on my Marshall)?

I think there is one on the footswitch, I can't remember about the front panel. I'll take note when I go check them out.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Thanks Paco....you're right, no i've never seen one (only in pictures) Still didn't answer my question though if you can engage the boost straight from the clean channel? I know it doesn't boost the clean, but can you go straight from clean to channel 3? (as they call it)...or do you have to footswitch to channel 2 and then to the boost channel (I'll need the footswitch because I sing all the time)

Again, how easy is it to change these tubes out...say at a live show during set break? and how much do they cost? (I have never owned a tube amp before)

Of course I will not be able to afford this head for a little while now, but its good to know everything about it before I buy it....it is a big investment.

It looks fairly simple to me. There's plenty of room to get your hands in an out.

http://www.thetubestore.com can show you prices. They say only use the svetlana EL 34's due to the high plate voltages. Biasing is a whole other issue, but you'll probably be fine in a pinch, I think you are overestimating the fragility of the tubes, they last a good while, I'll find Sal Trentino's amp tips for you.

here it is. In case you're wondering yes, it's the same guy that built mike and stones amps for the last tour.

http://trentino.best.vwh.net/
    Cool, thanks. What is the difference between the pre-amp tubes and the power tubes (there are 7 power tubes on the shiva head?) how many pre-amp tubes. Sorry to ask man, but I know F*ck all about tube amps. Biasing is what exactly?
    nailz100 wrote:
    Cool, thanks. What is the difference between the pre-amp tubes and the power tubes (there are 7 power tubes on the shiva head?) how many pre-amp tubes. Sorry to ask man, but I know F*ck all about tube amps. Biasing is what exactly?

no, there are 7 (in the reverb model) preamp tubes.

There are 2 power tubes for a total of 9 in the amplifier

9. What does it mean to "bias" the amplifier?
    Just like the idle of your car may need adjusting when a major change is done to the engine, new power tubes need their idle (the "bias") adjusted to make sure the amp sounds as good as possible. Some amps do this automatically, but many do not - particularly in the world of guitar amps. Many tube amp owners are unaware of this simple regular service for their amp that will keep it sounding it's absolute best. The bias methods of amplifiers fall into several basic categories:
    - fixed bias amplifiers
    - cathode bias amplifiers
    - adjustable bias amplifiers.
    Each of these types is unique. Fixed bias amplifiers CAN'T be biased. These amps (for example, some Fender and Mesa Boogie models) are designed to run with tubes that have a specific current draw (see question 4) and should only use tubes that fall within a certain range. Fortunately, these amps are usually pretty forgiving and will work well with a pretty wide range of tubes. For the best results, specify the make and model of your amp in the "Comments" of your order and we will make sure you get the best tubes for your amp.
    Cathode bias amplifiers shouldn't require any adjustments and will work with a wide range of tube plate currents, as the circuit is "self adjusting".
    For adjustable bias amplifiers, the amp should be biased by a tech with experience with this procedure. It's not difficult, it doesn't take long, but if you don't know what you're doing you may hurt yourself (amps can give lethal electric shocks even when unplugged, and NO, we're not just saying that to scare you). Also, your amp may sound horrible or cause undue wear and tear on the tubes or power supply. Until you learn how to do it correctly by yourself, it's best to pay a technician a few dollars to do it for you.

Read everything here http://www.thetubestore.com/powertubeinfo.html
  • nailz100 wrote:

Biasing is adjusting the plate voltage fed to the power tubes. If you under-feed them, they'll sag and fail early... if you feed them too much, they'll pop, and maybe take half your amp with them.

If you gig a lot, you'll probably be replacing the power tubes every 9-12 months. I'd always carry around a matched pair of power tubes, two preamp tubes, and a fuse anyways. You can actually buy a matched quartet of power tubes, and only use two at a time. Your preamp tubes might need swapping with the power tubes, but I generally replace preamp tubes every other time.

Preamp tubes are what take your guitar's signal at the beginning and pre-amplify and manipulate the sound. When the signal leaves the preamp section, it would barely drive a small set of headphones, let alone a 4x12" speaker cabinet, so they have big power tubes that amplify that signal enough to drive speakers. Preamp tubes operate on millivolt signals, power tubes operate on volt signals. That's kind of a rudimentary description, but it'll get you started.

Hey, Paco, check and see how easy it is to access the tubes... will he need to carry a screwdriver around to get a panel off?

I can't help you any on the footswitch question... but that's why I use single-channel amps and tubescreamers.
    Thanks for the info MIG. So you figure changing out the pre-amp tubes (7 of them) every six months or so and the power tubes (2 of them) about once every year? I could see how a tube amp could be pricy if your blowing pre-amp tubes all the time.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Thanks for the info MIG. So you figure changing out the pre-amp tubes (7 of them) every six months or so and the power tubes (2 of them) about once every year? I could see how a tube amp could be pricy if your blowing pre-amp tubes all the time.

no, power tubes once a year, preamps maybe once every 2 years. It's not as bad as you think.