OD/ boost pedal

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking to get rid of my Super Chili Picoso....I like the pedal for the most part, but the popping noise that it makes when I engage it is way too much for me to handle. I also want something that will work better for higher gain situations, and I don't notice enough of a difference to be worth it, and a clean (channel 1) boost isn't what I am looking for. And because I am keeping my rig fairly simple and my board size is limited...I want to try and find one (or two pedals at the most) that do all I'll ever need. it would be nice if it was just one OD/booster...and then I have room for some kind of effect for the other one.

Klon?, landgraff?, Skreddy?, OCD?, Tim/timmy? any suggestions? What do you guys who play heavier rock/alternative use and recommend?
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you know what im learning to manipulate for such occasions? the guitar.

the ovlume knob on the guitar works wonders for me. I dont always have to be popping pedals on and off to get extra boosts. turn the guitar halfway down set the pedals up the way i like it and when i mready to kick in..just crank the guitar. I like that.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    try an OCD.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    How is the "popping" sound on that one?
    pretty minimal. it's got some jiggerypokery to minimize it.
    jiggerpokery hey? wtf
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    OCD sounds like a good recommendation actually though I'm unsure if it's going to have enough gain on tap. Might be tough to do it all with one pedal unless it really cleans up well. I'm sure the OCD does that.

I think the Skreddy Top Fuel could work.

Well, or maybe a BJF Dyna Red provided you don't mind a wait.

Or hell for $109 the Crunch Box (MI Audio) gets a lot of props.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    loads of gain in the OCD.
    exhausted wrote:
    loads of gain in the OCD.

ah, might be freaking perfect then because the cleanup is pretty nice too isn't it?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i find that it is pretty good on the clean up side of things.

the crunch box recommendation is good too. and less $$$.
    http://www.fulltone.com/cshframe.html

but speaking of OCD....yeah, sounds like a few other people want the same pedal eh?

Yeah, I want to change out my Barber DD so maybe I should try a OCD too.
    Looks pretty cool Paco....i wonder how it stacks up
    nailz100 wrote:
    Looks pretty cool Paco....i wonder how it stacks up

I don't know, It was just like....hey, damn, that's kind of exactly what he was looking for. Obviously I haven't heard it yet, but it sounds like it would be about right.

If you want one, you'd better be one of the first to sign up, they usually start at 225 and then shoot up as they become scarce. It's a new fulltone pedal ritual.
    Too bad I don't want to wait until "early 2007"
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah, I want to change out my Barber DD so maybe I should try a OCD too.

it may not suit single coils as well. i generally use it only with humbuckers but it's worth a shot.
    Good thing I'm not using single coils
    i knew that. :) i remember things.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Too bad I don't want to wait until "early 2007"

did you look at the options for the Zim?

On paper it seems awesome, I just haven't seen one to play yet.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i knew that. :) i remember things.
    you clever shrew.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    from peru
  • exhausted wrote:
    try an OCD.

Is it wrong to get wood when I think about an OCD?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    yes. very wrong.
    Depends how much you like the pedal
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    If your catalinbread pedal is popping there is something wrong with it IMO. I would send it in and maybe try something else from them as they are a great company.

If you hate the tone, then look into the others. I hate the OCD for one reason, thousands are playing it and you don't want to sound like everyone else do you? ;)

Cusak, ProAnalog, BJF, Skreddy are the places to go if you are going to replace it. Also, the Pedal you are using is a boost, a dirty boost. Not an OD. You might really dig the PA Boost Royale, it is one of the nicest dirty boosts I have ever played. My proto is on loan and I will never get it back :(

You could go with a dual stage OD as well.
    Good thing you have tons of options these days.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    J, your inbox is full...
    Ya i'm not sure what is happening. You know how with a marshall footswitch the clicking on and off is pretty silent....well thats not the case with this pedal. The pop is pretty loud and noticeable, so much so that I don't want to turn it off and on and just ended up leaving it on all the time.

Because I constructed my board (I'll show you pics soon) and it isn't the biggest, I only have room for a couple OD's...and either a noise gate or some kind of delay or effect.

I don't care if the OD (or whatever you want to call it....the give me some more juice and saturation pedal) costs me a bunch of money...I don't want another 5 pedals, so I am trying to pick one that does enough. The guy that I bought the pedal from is willing to do an exchange for any other pedal so that is a bonus...but I'm not sure if he carries what I need/want

and like I said, some that I've been considering are the Timmy, OCD, Klon and Landgraff Mo'd
    nailz100 wrote:
    Ya i'm not sure what is happening. You know how with a marshall footswitch the clicking on and off is pretty silent....well thats not the case with this pedal. The pop is pretty loud and noticeable, so much so that I don't want to turn it off and on and just ended up leaving it on all the time.

Because I constructed my board (I'll show you pics soon) and it isn't the biggest, I only have room for a couple OD's...and either a noise gate or some kind of delay or effect.

I don't care if the OD (or whatever you want to call it....the give me some more juice and saturation pedal) costs me a bunch of money...I don't want another 5 pedals, so I am trying to pick one that does enough. The guy that I bought the pedal from is willing to do an exchange for any other pedal so that is a bonus...but I'm not sure if he carries what I need/want

and like I said, some that I've been considering are the Timmy, OCD, Klon and Landgraff Mo'd

I will clean up my inbox :)

The Klon is a nice pedal, it has a huge footprint. I do not like it with humbuckers as much as I do with singlecoils. There are Klon like pedals for less money in a small box.
    The Timmy is another pedal people like, I didn't. It was just another OD/boost.
    The OCD, good tone, too many people use them.
    Landgraff, great pedal!! I will not go into this one on a forum, it is not a modded TS!!!

I would just buy a BJF DRD and RRB and end it :)
    If you want to try some of these pedals, sign up on the demo box at the hub. I am sending it out Monday. There are 12 pedals on it, including 4 BJF's.
    As for the Proanalog, they are up there with BJF, hard to get and long wait.
    I would get a Dual Drive.

Like I send there are too many options. No one has PA stock, so I will call Scotty for you if you want.
    No one has BJF stock, so I will call BJ if you want.
    Skreddy is backlogged 4-6 months, I will call Marc for you as well.

I would still send that Catalin pedal is, they are the bomb and it should not pop, you have a bad switch!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    I'll see what this guy has in stock, I can only do an exchange...I know he's got Lovepedals, and a bunch of other cool stuff. I'll see if he carries BJF
    nailz100 wrote:
    I'll see what this guy has in stock, I can only do an exchange...I know he's got Lovepedals, and a bunch of other cool stuff. I'll see if he carries BJF
    tonefactor?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

I asked...so we'll see. I know he's got the Lovepedal Eternity though and I've heard good things about that one
    nailz100 wrote:
    I asked...so we'll see. I know he's got the Lovepedal Eternity though and I've heard good things about that one

Good pedal, Sean is a strat player ;)

What amp and guitar, etc?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?