Options

First song on guitar

BloodpisserBloodpisser Posts: 59
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
What's the first song you learned, not some stupid one from a lesson book but one you really wanted to learn and thought was cool. Kind of your first inspiration....

My first one was No Woman No Cry
My first PJ song was Black
Everything's gonna be alright now...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hmmmm...not sure exactly. i do remember one of the first songs i could play all the way through was Nirvana - About A Girl.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • Options
    1st thing I learnt on guitar was the intro to Plush by Stone Temple Pilots. 1st full song was Small Town.
    "...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Wish you were here-Pink Floyd. The first I learned all the way through. Learned it on a nasty Harmony that was impossible to tune.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    A couple of Dutch songs my father taught me on an acoustic... Small town was my first PJ song. Heard it on the radio and quickly pushed the Rec button on my tape deck when I heard the radio guy say Pearl Jam... didn't know 'em then. If that Radio guy only knew what he started...
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    About 16 Nirvana songs, all at once...

The first song I ever worked hard at learning was "Yellow Ledbetter."

Followed by "Stairway."
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    About 16 Nirvana songs, all at once...

The first song I ever worked hard at learning was "Yellow Ledbetter."

Followed by "Stairway."
    hehehe those Nirvana songs are super tough to learn huh?

Never playing a guitar before in my life I was ble to figure out Teen Spirit, silly how simple.
    Oh I almost forgot, Tom Petty's Free Fallin was also easy to figure out.

The first song I wanted to learn was Betterman. Not to hard, and it gives you a good group of skills to learn.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Options
    Originally posted by JofZ
    hehehe those Nirvana songs are super tough to learn huh?

Never playing a guitar before in my life I was ble to figure out Teen Spirit, silly how simple.

Learning what to play was easy with Nirvana... but learning how to play it was much more difficult. Kurt had that "controlled chaos" thing down to a science... of course, it's hard to understand his talent if you don't like Nirvana. To everyone else, it's just noise.
  • Options
    Satisfaction. Rolling Stones

enng enng, eng Eng ENG ,,,, ENG ENG Eng

A long long time ago, in a land far far away!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I took lessons when I was like 12 or 13 and I learned "Untouchables" by Generation X. Hey, it was the 80's, what can I say. I also remember learning a Fogerty song as well, but I can't remember which one.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Learning what to play was easy with Nirvana... but learning how to play it was much more difficult. Kurt had that "controlled chaos" thing down to a science... of course, it's hard to understand his talent if you don't like Nirvana. To everyone else, it's just noise.

I agree, Kurt was much better then he gets credit for. Some of his sounds are impossible to dup.
    I think the trick with most grunge is to find the cheapest possible guitar to purchase :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • Options
    I agree, Kurt was much better then he gets credit for. Some of his sounds are impossible to dup.
    I think the trick with most grunge is to find the cheapest possible guitar to purchase :)

Not to mention super-distortion with no note definition, horrible chorus, and really loud amps...

But it is almost impossible to replicate...

Every time I play a Nirvana song (now, after many years) it sounds too pretty... I could mess with it a little, but it wouldn't be pretty enough... I don't know how Kurt did it, but he was a genius in his own way.
  • Options
    Not to mention super-distortion with no note definition, horrible chorus, and really loud amps...

But it is almost impossible to replicate...

Every time I play a Nirvana song (now, after many years) it sounds too pretty... I could mess with it a little, but it wouldn't be pretty enough... I don't know how Kurt did it, but he was a genius in his own way.

Couldn't agree with you more. Some have said he just played super cheap, even out of tune guitars. I have read everything I could get my hands on and no one seems to know for sure. I know he loved playing in front of the nut.
    Kurt wrote some of the best lyrics ever. His music was genius because it was so simple. I guess we will never know how he did it. There are a ton of notes in his Journal, but nothing really concrete, mostly just ideas.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Options
    Couldn't agree with you more. Some have said he just played super cheap, even out of tune guitars. I have read everything I could get my hands on and no one seems to know for sure. I know he loved playing in front of the nut.
    Kurt wrote some of the best lyrics ever. His music was genius because it was so simple. I guess we will never know how he did it. There are a ton of notes in his Journal, but nothing really concrete, mostly just ideas.

He did use cheap guitars, half because he liked the cheap sound, and half because he would smash two or three a night.

That's why you can't copy, only emulate...

So it's better to find your own style!
  • Options
    He did use cheap guitars, half because he liked the cheap sound, and half because he would smash two or three a night.

That's why you can't copy, only emulate...

So it's better to find your own style!

Yep, yep. Although, many succesful players have "stolen" rifs in the past. Actually, someone told me yesterday that Alive is actually a Doors song, LOL.
    I don't know about you, but I never really understood the smashing guitar thing. I guess money is a nice thing :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Options
    Yep, yep. Although, many succesful players have "stolen" rifs in the past. Actually, someone told me yesterday that Alive is actually a Doors song, LOL.
    I don't know about you, but I never really understood the smashing guitar thing. I guess money is a nice thing :)

See the "Smash Your Guitar" poll for the debate...

See if I can bump it for you.
  • Options

will do!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Options

The best move I ever saw on stage was with a badn called Bill the Welder. It was thier last show and the bass player is a local hero. He simply hit his last chord, looked up, looked out at the crowd and handed his bass to a guy in the crowd. It was one of those moments you can't forget, pure class. He could have smashed it as well, but I liked his approach.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    The best move I ever saw on stage was with a badn called Bill the Welder. It was thier last show and the bass player is a local hero. He simply hit his last chord, looked up, looked out at the crowd and handed his bass to a guy in the crowd. It was one of those moments you can't forget, pure class. He could have smashed it as well, but I liked his approach.

Cool...
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    That's my view... if the guitar is on it's last legs anyways, that's fine, but if it's a good guitar, give it to some kid... help jump-start the next generation.
  • Options
    That's my view... if the guitar is on it's last legs anyways, that's fine, but if it's a good guitar, give it to some kid... help jump-start the next generation.
    No doubt, afterall, there are very few music programs still intact at public schools. I think all musicians should give back by donating time, or gear.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Originally posted by Bloodpisser
    What's the first song you learned, not some stupid one from a lesson book but one you really wanted to learn and thought was cool. Kind of your first inspiration....

My first one was No Woman No Cry
    My first PJ song was Black

Everything's gonna be alright now...

First riff was "Interstellar Overdrive"(!);
    first PJ riff: "Alive", back in 1991.
  • Options
    "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix.
  • Options
    Betterman
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    de solO to noFIn as it seeMS
  • Options
    When I first got my guitar I remember playing the chord E-minor over and over again. My first song was Rockin' in the Free World.
  • Options
    first song i ever learned on guitar was 'you've got to hide your love away' by the beatles after having heard the eddie vedder cover on the movie 'i am sam'
  • Options
    that acoustic green day song "time of your life"...i was 13 ..... that was about two years ago
    "But you see, you get more for your money with the big ones. It's like a two for one special."

That was the line I used when dating to convince girls they should like fat guys.

-Boosk.
  • Options
    My first song would have been "Patience" by GNR.

My first PJ song was probably either "Jeremy" or "Black".
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    long road by PJ. doesnt get much easier
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Options
    hey joe by hendrix
    and so castles made of sand fall in the sea eventually...