Trade for my Townshend SG... Any ideas?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by House53
    Great...

I just have never been a strat guy...

I found the strat handled more gain on the Ghia... but I didn't like the tone as much...

The Townshend sounds a bit stratty... especially on the middle position, which I use quite a bit for rhythm work. It has some quack.

You can hear it on that guitar, for example, at the beginning of Love Boat Captain, when Ed first strums the chords...

it's a bit stratty... to my ears.

because the P-90 is a fat ass single coil. So you're looking for kind of smooth but not dark right? some kind of semi hollow with humbuckers (I'm still saying ASAT classic bluesboy or 70's thinline Tele Custom) Perhaps a commanche in blue sparkle. That'd be cool. No where near the $1100 tag though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    true...

I might just have to use the bridge pup more...

in all honesty I would prefer to be the old guy who has had the same guitar for 25 years... and it is just perfectly broken in...

I think, if I get my senses about me, this SG and my tele could be those guitars.

Stop tinkering and start playing.

Did I mention we found a new bass player last night?
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Maybe you need to settle down with your instruments and get reacquainted. No one gives up a Gibson unless they are upgrading. Fuck I'm bassist and I have one. Glad you were able to find a bass player so your shows didn't have to stop.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    In my opinion....DON'T SELL IT!!! You may end up regretting it later. Instead, save up and buy yourself another guitar....Maybe a Les Paul or a PRS.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Maybe you need to settle down with your instruments and get reacquainted. No one gives up a Gibson unless they are upgrading. Fuck I'm bassist and I have one. Glad you were able to find a bass player so your shows didn't have to stop.

yeah, you gave up what was it 2 Les Pauls for like 3 modulus's and an upright. pretty good trade. How is your group coming along Pure?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    yeah, you gave up what was it 2 Les Pauls for like 3 modulus's and an upright. pretty good trade. How is your group coming along Pure?

Not quite right, 1 for 3 and I'm loving every minute of them.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Not quite right, 1 for 3 and I'm loving every minute of them.

Even better.
  • Options
    Pac & pure....do either of you have band websites to check out?
  • Options
    Originally posted by nailz100
    Pac & pure....do either of you have band websites to check out?

Not me, I'm not in a formal band. I write and do session and studio work when I have the time. Or I'll play locally with friends who have bands or just jam sessions. I'll only travel as part of band if its someone I really want to play with. Sorry.
  • Options
    no sorry, I haven't found anyone to play with yet locally. I'm just doing solo stuff when I can.
  • Options
    Cool...well, keep me posted.
  • Options
    Checked out the shop... the guitar in question

a 1963 ES-120T... overpriced at $1000... they did have some cool stuff, but it is mostly a repair shop. The tech was knowledgable and friendly to deal with... we talked about a tweed deluxe he had at the shop. Neil Young.

Nothing to get very excited about.

A guy I know offered me his Orange AD30 Twin Channel Head for my Townshend... he needs something he can sell, and no one will buy the Orange head... it would be tempting, but I need a guitar more than I need that amp.

We gig this Friday night... 2.5 hours straight, no set breaks... non stop rock. :D
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Checked out the shop... the guitar in question

a 1963 ES-120T... overpriced at $1000... they did have some cool stuff, but it is mostly a repair shop. The tech was knowledgable and friendly to deal with... we talked about a tweed deluxe he had at the shop. Neil Young.

Nothing to get very excited about.

A guy I know offered me his Orange AD30 Twin Channel Head for my Townshend... he needs something he can sell, and no one will buy the Orange head... it would be tempting, but I need a guitar more than I need that amp.

We gig this Friday night... 2.5 hours straight, no set breaks... non stop rock. :D

Gig should be fun anyway. It's a fair trade but yeah you are looking for a guitar, you aren't much looking for a twin channel anyhow.

Good luck with the gig and the new Bass player.
  • Options
    I am looking forward to the gig... we rehearsed a bit last night with the new bass player... he actually fits in the mix better than the current bass player ever has...

he plays a very strong and present bass, but doesn't overdo it... it's a good fit with our guitar player.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Don't forget to post your setlist.
  • Options
    Once I get it... our guitar player is writing it and he might not tell us until we get there... he likes to suprise us.

I will post it am some point... I might have some new pics from this show...
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=GGL1wgAA1084319648&command=link--bbmr

House I thought of another option, might be perfect.

The Burns Brian May. Ebony fret board. Burns Tri Sonics. 21 pickup configurations Grover Auto Lockers. Orignial looks. Comfort. Worth a look Eh?
  • Options
    Indeed. I have played one of those... they are very nice guitars.

Interestingly enough, your comment about Brian May gave me another idea...

a treble booster... might be a good kick for when I really need to cut.

Right now, I am going to wait until we rehearse with the new bass player some more. I need to see where I need to be in the mix before I purchase anything different.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Indeed. I have played one of those... they are very nice guitars.

Interestingly enough, your comment about Brian May gave me another idea...

a treble booster... might be a good kick for when I really need to cut.

Right now, I am going to wait until we rehearse with the new bass player some more. I need to see where I need to be in the mix before I purchase anything different.

yeah, it's a thought. I was just thinking lower wattage EL-84 amps similar chime. If the Burns sounds good in an AC 30 it's going to sound good in the Z too. A treble booster is a good thought.

http://www.pedalgeek.com has a good replica of the Johnny Dallas model that they all used built by the toneman aka Don Butler.
  • Options
    Now we are talking about breaking up the band because we don't want to put up with the drummer anymore...

If that happens watch for a complete overhaul of my music situation...

PA sold, SG sold, 212 sold, hello 112 and new Martin Acoustic...

Lock myself away and practice...
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Whats the problem with your drummer?
  • Options
    he just lacks a general grasp of reality... doesn't have a job, or car, no real desire to support himself...

So, he gets on everyone's nerves with his attitude... we try our best to ignore him.

Delusional is a word that comes to mind.

Already caused our old bass player to leave.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Man that sounds EXACTLY THE SAME as my drummer....but every once in a while he shows signs of change....then he falls back into the same slump. We are floating the rock ocean of shit in the same fucking boat.
  • Options
    I think a lot of drummers are just a bit different...

I am all for accepting people for their differences, but that doesn't mean I want to be in a band with a slacker with no motivation.

We are trying to get our current drummer to get a driver's liscense and car so he can get himself to practice and gigs.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    I'm getting of tired of trying also....I'm starting to realize that you just can't change some people if they are lathargic by nature. You know what I mean....you shouldn't have to convince someone to get a car....they should have the motivation to get one on their own...
  • Options
    My typical solution is to try not to let it bother me... if it really bugs me, I tell him about it, that way I am not bottling up frustration or anger...

Then I kick his drumset at the end of the night
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    SAME...but I'm always asking myself. "Do I really want to let any one person stand in the way of my dream"...then its a pretty simple answer.
  • Options

Then I kick his drumset at the end of the night

I'm so glad it was only water I was drinking when I read this.
  • Options
    Sorry... I completely pull a Keith Moon though... I always drop my guitar too... at least when I am playing the tele... it is tough.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    your crazy I'd kill for that guitar!!