Gig attire: Showy? Laid back? What's your approach?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, we have a show tommorow night and it got me thinking... since we are in fact their to entertain the people, should I be wearing something a little more rockstarish... ie tigher pants or kitchy (sp?) t-shirts...

typically I wear jeans, and a shirt with a collar on it... invariably I roll up my sleeves because I get too warm.

I was thinking about some tighter jeans and maybe a nice rolling stones t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off...

or is that to cliche?

What is your approach to gig apparel? We are playing for a good sized bar... with 50-100 people actively watching us and another 100 in the bar... big stage...

Thoughts?
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by House53
    I was thinking about some tighter jeans and maybe a nice rolling stones t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off...

or is that to cliche?

a picture of that ensemble is in the dictionary beside the entry for cliche. :)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    relaxed and comfortable.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    Check out The Darkness outfit.Sth like that would allright I guess...LOL
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    well, I wasn't going to the leather pants!! :D

I sometimes feel like my band is too unpolished looking and that turns people away...

I know it should be about the music... but the music doesn't have to suffer if we look the part a little more.
    There's No Code.
    stone wears shorts and dark socks. there are no rules.

of course, we all laugh at him but still... he's rock!!
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    well, I wasn't going to the leather pants!! :D

I sometimes feel like my band is too unpolished looking and that turns people away...

I know it should be about the music... but the music doesn't have to suffer if we look the part a little more.

You should either be yourself, best bet IMO. Or, go for it all the way, get one of those cheesy see through shirts, tight leather pants, some nice high boots and don't forget the make up, and nail polish. Better yet, just go where Navarro shops, what a loser that guy is :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    stone is a bit more talented and plays original music... so he can get away with more.

I agree there are no rules... I am just wondering what other people do...
    There's No Code.
    i always wore jeans and a wrinkly, untucked dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up. of course, i played barefoot sometimes too.
    that's my usual attire... I get hassled for wearing sandals...

Nothing like playing loud electric guitar... bear foot on a nice big carpet.

Alright... leather pants it is... :D
    There's No Code.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    "alright its gig day....what t shirt am i gonna wear?!"

ROck squats....
    so the feeling here is t-shirt.

Alright, maybe I will go for that. I might have to wear an official drinking shirt too... my friend is in from NYC so I am guessing it will be a long night.
    There's No Code.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    i am really against planning too much what im gonna wear. just be natural otherwise you will come off as abunch of jackasses trying too hard...
    well, we are definitely jackasses... but we don't want the audience to know that... good point.
    There's No Code.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I always thought it looked heated when a person had on a long sleeve shirt with a T-shirt underneath. Really looks interesting when they undo those couple of buttons and let the shirt hang open for a couple of songs before taking it completely off. Remind you of anyone. Just a thought. Works better with jeans than leather.

And looks really dumb if everyone in the band does it, o
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    I like the simplistic approach, Guitar. Tube sock.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    I always thought it looked heated when a person had on a long sleeve shirt with a T-shirt underneath. Really looks interesting when they undo those couple of buttons and let the shirt hang open for a couple of songs before taking it completely off. Remind you of anyone. Just a thought. Works better with jeans than leather.

And looks really dumb if everyone in the band does it, o

I do the Eddie thing. I sometimes where a jacket for the first couple songs... then take it off... it is pretty blatant, but it keeps me focused.

I try to remember how good a show PJ puts on and try to translate energy to the crowd like they do.
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

FOR sure this is the only way to go :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395

Oh, yeah, NOBODY'S ever done THAT before.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Oh, yeah, NOBODY'S ever done THAT before.

it sure beats leather pants and a gay ass see through shirt.
    I think I like the supersuckers approach, go big and wear the most fucked up thing you can find. I like high heals with spring loaded heels :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

The Supersuckers are over the top for sure...

I am pretty sure I will go with the standard... but I was just curious what everyone else did...
    There's No Code.
    The Supersuckers are over the top for sure...

I am pretty sure I will go with the standard... but I was just curious what everyone else did...

I know, I think most of us were getting a real kick out of this thread. Its like admitting to listening to Mayer in public ;)

I got an idea for you, how about the puffy pirate shirt from the Seinfeld show?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• i think everyone in your band needs to wear those huge foam cowboy hats like jim carrey wears in dumb and dumber.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • KilmanKilman Posts: 18
    "SPANDEX.....ALL SPANDEX!!!"
    If we all stop voting, will they all go away?
    Hey House have you decided what to wear tonight? I looked at your website, that's a cute outfit.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    thanks, I wear that "outfit" most shows, but I feel like changing it up... you know, the people will get restless if I always wear the same thing... ;)

I am still undecided on what to wear tonight though... I thought about stopping by Hot Topic at the mall...:D

I will likely end up wearing the same thing though... I am also considering wearing one of my PJ wristbands... I don't know if I want to be "that guy" though.
    There's No Code.
    Make a shirt that says, who the fuck is (insert your band name here)

Or who the fuck is House 53.

Or Who the Fuck is Mic Jagger?
    thanks, I wear that "outfit" most shows, but I feel like changing it up... you know, the people will get restless if I always wear the same thing... ;)

I am still undecided on what to wear tonight though... I thought about stopping by Hot Topic at the mall...:D

I will likely end up wearing the same thing though... I am also considering wearing one of my PJ wristbands... I don't know if I want to be "that guy" though.

Change would be nice.
    Make a shirt that says, who the fuck is (insert your band name here)

Or who the fuck is House 53.

Or Who the Fuck is Mic Jagger?

haha. i almost made a shirt that said "no rodeo" for the show i had during stampede one year. then i decided i'd rather not get my ass kicked.

actually, now that i think about it, "no rodeo" is a cool name for an alberta band. ok guys, i now record under the moniker "no rodeo".
    I could be like Keef... with the Mick Jagger shirt

I will probably wear one of my three "Official House53 Drinking Shirts." For those evenings when a good amount of partying will be taking place... nothing but a "Drinking Shirt" will do...

I might go barefoot on stage too... go for that Tom Petty, Chris Robinson thing.
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    haha. i almost made a shirt that said "no rodeo" for the show i had during stampede one year. then i decided i'd rather not get my ass kicked.

actually, now that i think about it, "no rodeo" is a cool name for an alberta band. ok guys, i now record under the moniker "no rodeo".

That would be awesome with the slashed circle cancelling out the rodeo.

Your first album title Pirate Rodeo! Ha.