GAS'ing for a Les Paul... What about you?

2»

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by House53
    I know what you mean.

I don't like GAS much either. Sometimes it is fun, but most of the time it is distracting.

I have been seriously considering trading my Dr. Z and my SG for a Twin Reverb reissue and a Taylor 510.

The itch to get a new acoustic. I tell myself, you will still have a nice amp (the Twin) and still have a good guitar(my tele)... PLUS you will get a nice acoustic.

But, it really makes no sense when you consider the band context.

Despite all this, GAS persists.

DR Z for a RI TWIN? WTF? That's not a good idea at all. If you are trading the Z for a fender it better be a middle 60's blackface. Either a deluxe, vibrolux, princeton or super reverb. The twin is way way way way way to loud for your needs.

Trading the townsend for a 510 is cool but I'd go for an 810 used with no preamp. You should be able to get an even swap. I prefer the bass and depth of rosewood to the warmer mahogany.

If you do decide to trade the townsend let me know where you trade it too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Well it was more trading the Z for the 510 and trading the Townshend for the Twin.

It's about $1500 for $1500 and $1100 for $1100... roughly. These are comparing new prices.

In general though I agree. I don't know why it is so intriguing to me... must be the thought of "new things."

Also, I like to get myself a "birthday present" each year. IE, blow some money on myself. It's a bad habit.

Honestly though, the Townshend is really becoming an attachment... It is so familiar I take it for granted sometimes. Then I think, well, my tele can do just as much. But the two are very different guitar... mahogany v. ash, dark vs. bright, maple v. rosewood, low output pups v. hotter pups, etc.

I will just have to save my pennies for the wedding, and then save for a guitar.
    There's No Code.
    Well it was more trading the Z for the 510 and trading the Townshend for the Twin.

It's about $1500 for $1500 and $1100 for $1100... roughly. These are comparing new prices.

In general though I agree. I don't know why it is so intriguing to me... must be the thought of "new things."

Also, I like to get myself a "birthday present" each year. IE, blow some money on myself. It's a bad habit.

Honestly though, the Townshend is really becoming an attachment... It is so familiar I take it for granted sometimes. Then I think, well, my tele can do just as much. But the two are very different guitar... mahogany v. ash, dark vs. bright, maple v. rosewood, low output pups v. hotter pups, etc.

I will just have to save my pennies for the wedding, and then save for a guitar.

Right, and the townsend is a guitar you will rue the day that you traded. It's fat but not too dark while the tele is bright and crisp. A great compliment. You should name it and make it part of the family. If gibson wants a great "Story" showpiece those guitars are it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    My guitars are named, I guess.

The only logical name for the PT is Pete. And for the tele, Keef.
    There's No Code.
    My guitars are named, I guess.

The only logical name for the PT is Pete. And for the tele, Keef.

Add a Y. Petey and KEEF. Nice.

When I start thinking my orange dosen't sound that great and maybe I should trade it.....I change the strings and turn off the attenuator. Clears it right up.
    I changed strings this weekend, haven't been able to plug in yet... until tonight... I am looking forward to rehearsal...

It's always great to crank it up for a while...
    There's No Code.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    So, how'd it sound?
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    G-L-O-R-I-U-S!!!

Really great. I didn't take the SG off all night... You forget how much more life your notes have when playing new strings... the dynamics are just on another level...
    There's No Code.