I need a guitar with a FAT neck... the 335 neck isn't jiving.

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    You have my wheels turning for sure. I bet the goldtop would sounds killer through the Bassman I am eyeing as well.

I could be more like Stone too... never a bad thing in my estimation.
    Stone has great tone!
    The LP user list is pretty top notch, I would say you would be in some very good company :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    Stone has great tone!
    The LP user list is pretty top notch, I would say you would be in some very good company :)

alright man, you have me thinking.

I spoke with Barry at the shop... he quoted even better prices on the R6 and R7. The R6 is the same guitar but with P-90s. I think this might be the best option for me.

Anyways, either one can be had for the same price as my 335. So, I would just be out shipping.

So, I need to consider getting an LP. Then what pups? The P90s have a good track record with me, but humbuckers in an LP are pretty classic and would likely jive well with a Bassman (not that P-90s would be bad.)

Such difficult decisions we face. :D
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    alright man, you have me thinking.

I spoke with Barry at the shop... he quoted even better prices on the R6 and R7. The R6 is the same guitar but with P-90s. I think this might be the best option for me.

Anyways, either one can be had for the same price as my 335. So, I would just be out shipping.

So, I need to consider getting an LP. Then what pups? The P90s have a good track record with me, but humbuckers in an LP are pretty classic and would likely jive well with a Bassman (not that P-90s would be bad.)

Such difficult decisions we face. :D

Personally the LP with humbuckers provides more tonal options IMO, the P90s are awesome, but I would want a jr and to be 100% honest you really are better off saving your money and buying old wood if you want p90s. Get one while you still can, these things are going up quick so if you jump in I will gurantee you that there is no way to get hurt other then capital gains when you sell it for a huge profit :)
    If you do go the other way and get a new historic plan on a 20% ding the day you buy it and then you should be at break even in 12 months, from that point on it will apreciate. Not that this is an investment but you are spending big bucks.
    For pups, I would get Voodoo 59s or some Timbuckers if you can stand the wait. But seriously there are 5 or 6 solid pup makers out there for you to look at. WCR, Holmes, Rolf, Voodoo, Tim White, Duncan.
    I ordered the timbuckers and have the voodoo's, there is no comparison between the burstbuckers and voodoo's. The burstbuckers are very bright and ice pickish, they also had no where near the vintage tone of the voodoo's.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    For pups, I would get Voodoo 59s or some Timbuckers if you can stand the wait. But seriously there are 5 or 6 solid pup makers out there for you to look at. WCR, Holmes, Rolf, Voodoo, Tim White, Duncan.

I was just leaning towards the R6... P-90s are sort of my thing...

But there is something about an LP with buckers. I am not a big fan of having to change out the pups automatically... but I know it is a whole secondary market with LPs.

I think the R6 might be more my style.

The price Barry gave was great over 15% off of the MAP for the historics.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I was just leaning towards the R6... P-90s are sort of my thing...

But there is something about an LP with buckers. I am not a big fan of having to change out the pups automatically... but I know it is a whole secondary market with LPs.

I think the R6 might be more my style.

The price Barry gave was great over 15% off of the MAP for the historics.

Sounds like you made your decision :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Sounds like you made your decision :)

But then there are the R4s with a wrap tailpiece... including the Jeff Beck model.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/54Oxblood/1954Oxblood.html

So red it's black.

Or the goldtop... wrap around bridge is a wonderful thing.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    But then there are the R4s with a wrap tailpiece... including the Jeff Beck model.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/54Oxblood/1954Oxblood.html

So red it's black.

Or the goldtop... wrap around bridge is a wonderful thing.

Oh sure the R4 customs get schaller M6's, but 2K LPStandards get fucking antiquated plastic kluson bullshit.

Damnit Gibson.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    wrap arounds are horrible for achieving good intonation, no?
    exhausted wrote:
    wrap arounds are horrible for achieving good intonation, no?

I never had a problem with my Townshend SG... then again, I am a bit sloppy and may not have been perfectly intonated.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Oh sure the R4 customs get schaller M6's, but 2K LPStandards get fucking antiquated plastic kluson bullshit.

Damnit Gibson.

I know what you mean. The tuners already being upgraded is a nice touch on the Black '54.

I think the guitar race shapes up like this:

1) 335 ('57 classics)
    + semi hollow, versatile, classic, black
    - neck, weight
    2) '54 Oxblood LP (burstbuckers, wrap tail)
    + wrap tail, tuners, black
    - possibly weight
    3) '54 Goldtop (P-90s, wrap tail)
    + wrap tail, P-90s
    - possibly neck, possibly weight, tuners
    4) '56 Goldtop (P-90s, stop tail)
    + P-90s
    - possibly weight, tuners
    5) '57 Goldtop (burstbuckers, stop tail)
    + classic LP setup
    - possibly weight, tuners

These are the five entrants. No particular order.

All are relatively the same price too. They all have good vibes, looks, and tones on tap. What guitar suits my style is what it really comes down to.
    There's No Code.
    The stop tails are more popular and easier to string, but the wrap tails are cool, just ask Mr. Gibbons. Actually, many LP guys install a wrap tail piece, so I think the tone is subjective. I wouldn't pass on an axe just because of this.

The tuners are a huge issue IMO.
    I went to great lengths to make sure the kluson tuners on my Murphy were acurate and not the crap that Gibson sells as stock. The stock ones are greenish and don't even come close to the look and feel of the originals. I guess it depends on what you are going for, authentic or playability?

I for one wouldn't do any mods to a stock axe like this that couldn't be taken off, so drilling and such are definitly out for me.

I would snatch that R4 wrap tail gold top and have a killer axe that you just don't see every day.

Have you gone over to the LPF yet? YOu may never come back here LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    The stop tails are more popular and easier to string, but the wrap tails are cool, just ask Mr. Gibbons. Actually, many LP guys install a wrap tail piece, so I think the tone is subjective. I wouldn't pass on an axe just because of this.

I would snatch that R4 wrap tail gold top and have a killer axe that you just don't see every day.

I just emailed the guys at the shop about the '54 goldtop and the '54 oxblood.

I think those are the finalists along with the 335. Barring any neck carve issues it would be a tough call between the P-90s and the hbs... the black LP just has such an attitude.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I just emailed the guys at the shop about the '54 goldtop and the '54 oxblood.

I think those are the finalists along with the 335. Barring any neck carve issues it would be a tough call between the P-90s and the hbs... the black LP just has such an attitude.
    Some threads for you to look at:
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94424&highlight=R4+oxblood

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95219&highlight=R4+oxblood

This thread is pretty interesting, some great black beauty pics too:
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94058&highlight=R4+oxblood
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

haha. i remember the days when i thought my LP custom was pretty unique. ;)
    JofZ wrote:

Now how are these supposed to help me decide?!?! :D

I guess I need both of them.

The Oxblood looks great with zebra coils. However, I feel the P90s pulling into the lead. I just need a positive reply from Barry re: the '54 goldtop and that could seal the deal.
    There's No Code.
    exhausted wrote:
    haha. i remember the days when i thought my LP custom was pretty unique. ;)

I think these LPF guys have too much cash, too much time and are picky about things. I wouldn't want them as my customers that's for sure LOL

No matter what they get they aren't happy and they continue to piss in their own backyard, not smart when Henry decides to start publishing the "black book" ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

I like the Oxblood, it'll look sexy as hell with the bassman, and it's not very common. But, in reality, I think you're more of a single coil guy in solid bodies, I know because you and I generally love the same tones

Can you get R6 with the P-90's in Oxblood.....Dicky Betts style I guess :D

what's this? A belt sander?!!!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    JofZ wrote:
    I think these LPF guys have too much cash, too much time and are picky about things. I wouldn't want them as my customers that's for sure LOL

No matter what they get they aren't happy and they continue to piss in their own backyard, not smart when Henry decides to start publishing the "black book" ;)

maybe these guys are the reason i can't even look new gibsons these days save for a couple SG models.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I like the Oxblood, it'll look sexy as hell with the bassman, and it's not very common. But, in reality, I think you're more of a single coil guy in solid bodies, I know because you and I generally love the same tones

I am going to have to agree with you here. The oxblood is great. But I think I would prefer the P-90s.
    There's No Code.
    exhausted wrote:
    maybe these guys are the reason i can't even look new gibsons these days save for a couple SG models.

Gibson is bleased with a huge fan following, not bad for a company who sells reissues of guitars that weren't a hit the first time around.

I can only hope that the custom and historic shop continues its progress, but I would like to see them trickle down the quality to the lower end models. In reality the lower end models are still more then most other companies sell. I just have a hard time buying a 2k axe that will need everything replaced becasue Gibson supplies it with such garbage.

With that being said, I am afraid it is only going to get worse and that is across the board. A friend of mine showed me the lumber GIbson owns and has bought up over the last 20 years and there just insn't much left. Most think 2-3 years of the good wood is left and then it will be 20 to 30 years before they have stock again. If you follow that line of thinking the used market will boom and the new high end market will sky rocket as well.

If Gibson thought they were hurting the Ma and Pa stores by killing the authorized status, I think they did them a favor, the used stuff is selling like hot cakes and the good ma and pa stores now have to demonstrate customer service, somthing none of them did very well in the past. Combine that with the Sprawlmart deal and everyone hating GC and MF, and you'll have a nice little market niche for a long time.

I guess the last thing for Gibson to do is create the boutique chain and sell direct to the customer, I have heard it more then once that this is going to happen and if it does we will have Harley stores sitting next to Gibson stores. I guess this way the lawyers can bring their POS bikes in to get fixed and pick up a new Page Les Paul for 16K while they are waiting. Maybe the bugers and fries will be served on old wood? LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

House53 wrote:
    I am going to have to agree with you here. The oxblood is great. But I think I would prefer the P-90s.
    Have you played both?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Pacomc79 wrote:

Betts would most definitley approve of the R6!

What does Gaza use from Los Lonely? I am going to see them with Santana on Saturday for free with 500K of my closest friends at the Taste of Chicago, I thought they were lipsticks or something, that guy has some fantastic tone!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Have you played both?

Well, yes and no. I have played both models. I have not played the models I am considering from Music 123. I dig both of them for there own reasons.

P90s are my thing, like I have said.

The humbuckers are nice and do their own thing though, plus I really dig the finish on the oxblood.

If I had to choose right now it would be the '54 Goldtop, so long as it has the fat neck.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Well, yes and no. I have played both models. I have not played the models I am considering from Music 123. I dig both of them for there own reasons.

P90s are my thing, like I have said.

The humbuckers are nice and do their own thing though, plus I really dig the finish on the oxblood.

If I had to choose right now it would be the '54 Goldtop, so long as it has the fat neck.

Don't worry about the Music 123 stock they will make you happy :)
    I think the R4 Goldtop is sweet ever see the Tonequest magazine version? They had one built to their specs, you can order it from Gibson there are a few out there some where. Killer axe and they have a spread on it in the mag from time to time.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Don't worry about the Music 123 stock they will make you happy :)
    I think the R4 Goldtop is sweet ever see the Tonequest magazine version? They had one built to their specs, you can order it from Gibson there are a few out there some where. Killer axe and they have a spread on it in the mag from time to time.

Alright. The R4 is $900 more than the R6. I am not sure why, but it is... not likely my choice any longer.

The R6 and the Oxblood are both the right price though. The oxblood has a weird fingerboard issue. Check this out.
    http://www.music123.com/Gibson-1954-LP-Reissue-with-Humbuckers-i225667.music

There is a stripe running straight down the neck.

The R6 has no issues like that and would be a bit lighter.
    There's No Code.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I always thought that the 335 had a fat neck. Has anyone tried the Epiphone Dot guitars? I've heard good things about them for the price, but if the neck is too thin, I don't think I'd want to play it either.
    I always thought that the 335 had a fat neck. Has anyone tried the Epiphone Dot guitars? I've heard good things about them for the price, but if the neck is too thin, I don't think I'd want to play it either.

i had a dot. loved it but it was sold for the greater good. the neck profile was thick. thicker than the sheraton II for example.
    House53 wrote:
    Alright. The R4 is $900 more than the R6. I am not sure why, but it is... not likely my choice any longer.

The R6 and the Oxblood are both the right price though. The oxblood has a weird fingerboard issue. Check this out.
    http://www.music123.com/Gibson-1954-LP-Reissue-with-Humbuckers-i225667.music

There is a stripe running straight down the neck.

The R6 has no issues like that and would be a bit lighter.

The stripe is weird, but I have seen the same thing on other Gibsons. If the axe has the tone you want, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes the ugly ones sound the best :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    The stripe is weird, but I have seen the same thing on other Gibsons. If the axe has the tone you want, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes the ugly ones sound the best :)

The Oxblood is a heavy one too... almost 10 lbs according to John. I am sending the 335 back today. In a week or two, the return will be processed, then I can decide.

Right now, I would say R6. I am a single coil kind of guy at heart.

Life is full of tough choices ;)
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    The Oxblood is a heavy one too... almost 10 lbs according to John. I am sending the 335 back today. In a week or two, the return will be processed, then I can decide.

Right now, I would say R6. I am a single coil kind of guy at heart.

Life is full of tough choices ;)

the fingerboard is just undyed that's all. It's just character. 10 lbs though, damn.