I need a guitar with a FAT neck... the 335 neck isn't jiving.

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Check out this page.

http://www.allenamps.com/usedgear.html

victoria has a great 3x10 like the vibroking. I believe you can custom order it with verb and vibrato (really tremolo) too. I think you might could get a VK at a reasonable price.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Or a Kendrick...

Yes, they are super cheap used.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    Clapton of old had the most incredible tone, Clapton of today has tone of a middle aged man who has definitly lost his hearing :) I think he has the worst tone of any big name guitarist today just my 2 cents.

Check out the Gabi 18 watt voxer it is a bluesbreaker and vox ac15 in one box, sick as they come and next on my list.

I guess you can't go wrong with a bassman foundation, but then why not look at a Marshall or Marshall clone? :)
    JTM 45 baby
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • a little off topic by now, but:

can anyone tell me what model gibson dave grohl's been playing lately? it's a gibson semi-hollowbody with a body similar to a es-335, but it's got a fenderesque 6 on a side headstock. is it a trini lopez or an rd, or are those two models the same thing?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's a trini lopez. the RD is a solid body.
    a little off topic by now, but:

can anyone tell me what model gibson dave grohl's been playing lately? it's a gibson semi-hollowbody with a body similar to a es-335, but it's got a fenderesque 6 on a side headstock. is it a trini lopez or an rd, or are those two models the same thing?
    Explorer or Firebird, not sure which but I don't remember him using a hollow body.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    he and chris did order a bundle of firebird studios that they're using as well.
  • i believe he's using in the 'best of you' video and he's definitely holding it in the photo that ran with his spin interview this month. how do they sound?
    i believe he's using in the 'best of you' video and he's definitely holding it in the photo that ran with his spin interview this month. how do they sound?

It looked like a 335 with a fender style headstock?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:

I guess you can't go wrong with a bassman foundation, but then why not look at a Marshall or Marshall clone? :)
    JTM 45 baby

Lots of good options.

I think the Super is leading right now. Mostly because of the nicely broken in used model I played.

I will be trying as many amps as I can this weekend, likely on Saturday.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    It looked like a 335 with a fender style headstock?

Yeah that's a Trini Lopez... from what I have ever heard, they sound like a 335... cosmetic differences, but similar construction. They may have a longer scale (25.5" Fender) but I am not sure.
    There's No Code.
    http://guitargeek.com/rigview/379/

the grohl page from 2000. It must be a trini lopez, he's added it since then.

http://www.trinilopez.com/guitars/guitars.htm

here ya go milhouse.

the body looks similar to a Johnny A.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:

for some reason, i don't think the one i saw had pointy upper bouts, they were rounded off.

shit, for 5k, why don't i just buy two so i can have a backup?
    for some reason, i don't think the one i saw had pointy upper bouts, they were rounded off.

shit, for 5k, why don't i just buy two so i can have a backup?

or 3, 4 you'll need alternate tuned versions as well.

oh, and a Diezel VH-4 stack to sail er by.
    gotta have an axe in open c, open g, standard, and at least 3 heads and cabs to pick from :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

oh House, check this thing out. Tube reverb, Tube tremolo.

http://www.swartamps.com/
    Fatsounds sux, they never emailed me back for my Germino order. That 5 watter looks very cool though.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

http://www.drzamps.com/z28.html

this would be solid too.

sorry J. I've never done business with stu. That's odd they didn't email you back. You got it from Greg anyway though right?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.drzamps.com/z28.html

this would be solid too.

sorry J. I've never done business with stu. That's odd they didn't email you back. You got it from Greg anyway though right?

Greg doesn't do direct sales, you have to go through one of his dealers, I used Tonemerchants they were fantastic. I wanted to use Fatsound being they are in the same state as Greg. I don't get it either, oh well.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    or 3, 4 you'll need alternate tuned versions as well.

oh, and a Diezel VH-4 stack to sail er by.

and to save wear and tear on the electronics and toggle switch, i should probably get 3, one on each pickup selection. always be prepared.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Call Jay Wolfe at Wolfe Guitars in FL, and talk to him about the Heritage 35 special. He has them made to his specs at the Heritage factory, and they are more 335 than the latest greatest from Gibson...unless you go Historic for thousands of dollars.

He can order the 35 special for you with just about any Gibson Profile that has ever been made. The luthiers at the Heritage factory are the same people who built the mega-dollar vintage Gibsons back in the day. They know what they're doing, and how to do it right...and they do it for thousands less than a comparable Gibson.
    enharmonic wrote:
    Call Jay Wolfe at Wolfe Guitars in FL, and talk to him about the Heritage 35 special. He has them made to his specs at the Heritage factory, and they are more 335 than the latest greatest from Gibson...unless you go Historic for thousands of dollars.

He can order the 35 special for you with just about any Gibson Profile that has ever been made. The luthiers at the Heritage factory are the same people who built the mega-dollar vintage Gibsons back in the day. They know what they're doing, and how to do it right...and they do it for thousands less than a comparable Gibson.

Yeah, the Kalamazoo shop. The guys just went right back into business when gibson moved all those operations to nashville.

I think the website is http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/H535Classic.htm
    JofZ wrote:
    Greg doesn't do direct sales, you have to go through one of his dealers, I used Tonemerchants they were fantastic. I wanted to use Fatsound being they are in the same state as Greg. I don't get it either, oh well.

Did you find my a good LP... either a goldtop or plain top will be fine.

What's shakin over there?
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Did you find my a good LP... either a goldtop or plain top will be fine.

What's shakin over there?

They had 2 or 3 really nice 335s, a black one too :)
    They had 15 LPs on the floor and anything and everything in the warehouse.
    I would say anything you want John or Jason will have and the price will be more then right, I was almost in disbelief in regards to the prices. Some of the axes were literally knocked down 50% from MSRP which puts us all in the blocks from the start. They are also extremely helpful and if you plan on doing this as an investment, don't be shy, they will respond accordingly. I will probably buy all my new axes from them without having to see it first, I trust em!
    music123 is the online store, and if you want to call them ask for John first, and tell them you are friends with Jason who was in on Saturday looking at Murphy's. He will hook you up.
    They also had some of the nicest relic Fenders I have seen, and I have seen so many crap ones, they looked fake. Not these!
    Dave Carpenter is the man behind it all, he is a guru and is not afraid to give the customer what they want.
    They will also shoot as many pics of the axe as you ask for.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I was almost in disbelief in regards to the prices. Some of the axes were literally knocked down 50% from MSRP which puts us all in the blocks from the start.

I agree. I just spoke with John, he was very helpful and had some good information from me. The R7 goldtop is very reasonably priced (in comparison to a production 335)... and is tempting. However, it's not a 335.

He mentioned something that he would have given me a better price if I hadn't mentioned your name... ;)

Thanks for the info JofZ.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I agree. I just spoke with John, he was very helpful and had some good information from me. The R7 goldtop is very reasonably priced (in comparison to a production 335)... and is tempting. However, it's not a 335.

He mentioned something that he would have given me a better price if I hadn't mentioned your name... ;)

Thanks for the info JofZ.
    LOL, John is a super nice guy.
    The R7 is not a 335, but then again a 335 isn't a goldtop ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    LOL, John is a super nice guy.
    The R7 is not a 335, but then again a 335 isn't a goldtop ;)

The lead singer in me prefers the 335/tele... they fit my playing in that I don't do much lead and allow me to be versatile in my rhythm tones. I don't feel like I have the right attitude for an LP.

He had the '59 335s, but they were out of my price range. I didn't even get into the relic teles... that's just asking for trouble. Or the custom shop SGs... again, more trouble.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    The lead singer in me prefers the 335/tele... they fit my playing in that I don't do much lead and allow me to be versatile in my rhythm tones. I don't feel like I have the right attitude for an LP.

He had the '59 335s, but they were out of my price range. I didn't even get into the relic teles... that's just asking for trouble. Or the custom shop SGs... again, more trouble.
    You'll be surprised about the prices. I was quoted numbers that were very close to used. I don't know how they do it. LPs are great rhythm guitars and with so many pup and wiring options now, I don't know if there is a better tone quality axe out there. I fought the LP thing forever and I wont ever go back to my strat, I tried to last night, it feels weird now. I had to fight it before, but now I really have to muscle it :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    You'll be surprised about the prices. I was quoted numbers that were very close to used. I don't know how they do it. LPs are great rhythm guitars and with so many pup and wiring options now, I don't know if there is a better tone quality axe out there. I fought the LP thing forever and I wont ever go back to my strat, I tried to last night, it feels weird now. I had to fight it before, but now I really have to muscle it :)

You have my wheels turning for sure. I bet the goldtop would sounds killer through the Bassman I am eyeing as well.

I could be more like Stone too... never a bad thing in my estimation.
    There's No Code.