Any interest in a Townshend SG?

2»

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    House53 wrote:
    I should work on writing, but I am studying for an Engineering Certification lately... it takes up a lot of my time.

P.E.?

10 characters.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    It would seem that we do agree on tone... I don't like strats, but my SG can sound quite a bit like a strat when it wants to.

The new strings had so much more snap to them... bends are faster... hammer ons have more life... I feel like the thing plays 5 times faster as well.

I should work on writing, but I am studying for an Engineering Certification lately... it takes up a lot of my time.

yeah I'm in radio/TV broadcasting school now, I understand.

I like tele's a lot too esp thinlines or the Trussart rusty version.

Good luck with your certification.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    exhausted wrote:
    P.E.?

10 characters.

Yes, since I moved to Texas I need to take a different exam for my EIT which leads to a PE. I am about two years away from a PE Cert.

I don't remember a lot of the Chemical Engineering I studied in college. So, there is a lot of work to catch back up.

10 characters? What do you mean?
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Yes, since I moved to Texas I need to take a different exam for my EIT which leads to a PE. I am about two years away from a PE Cert.

I don't remember a lot of the Chemical Engineering I studied in college. So, there is a lot of work to catch back up.

10 characters? What do you mean?

best of luck. the P.E. requirements are fucking hard down there. i'm P.Eng. but Canadian cert. is a lot easier if you went to school here.

10 characters. there is a minimum character requirement for each post to i had to type something to exceed the minimum.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah I'm in radio/TV broadcasting school now, I understand.

I like tele's a lot too esp thinlines or the Trussart rusty version.

Good luck with your certification.

dude that works with my wife has an original 72 thinline. i haven't seen it yet but i wanna.
    exhausted wrote:
    best of luck. the P.E. requirements are fucking hard down there. i'm P.Eng. but Canadian cert. is a lot easier if you went to school here.

10 characters. there is a minimum character requirement for each post to i had to type something to exceed the minimum.

I understand. (just made it.)
    There's No Code.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Well, there are horror stories out there about SG's. Leaned it up against the amp, and it got knocked... fell off the strap... bumped it kinda hard... SG's have notorious problems with the headstocks falling off. And a great many vintage SG's out there have neck repairs in that area (some good jobs, some hatchet jobs). So it's not just shipping, although shipping it would be a delicate process.

FedEx finally paid for the damage, but it took two months of bitching and e-mailing and calling and taking pictures and researching to get them to pony up. They ended up reimbursing the final auction price, so I was able to give the buyer a full refund, but he wasn't happy about waiting two months for his money (and I couldn't afford to refund it out of pocket). He was a lousy e-Bayer (newbie) anyways, so I didn't feel TOO bad. But I was worried about my feedback rating (still 100%).

That sucks it took so long. It could have been worse, they could have not paid you at all.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    WiLL75 wrote:
    That sucks it took so long. It could have been worse, they could have not paid you at all.

It's a good practice, anytime you are shipping a guitar with a angled headstock to pad that area of the case so it cannot move. I always keep my polish clothes in that part of my SG case.
    There's No Code.
    That is smart thinking. I've never had to worry about that, but seeing as how my next guitar will more than likely be an SG it's good to know these things.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think you and I think similarly in terms of tone. Mainly blusey single coil guys but humbuckers in hollowbodies are nice and big full acoustic tone. Getting the high end back from changing my strings makes a huge difference on my guitars.

I'm the opposite... I prefer darker, thicker guitar sounds. Phat humbuckers, big P-90's, thick Strat sounds...

And on my acoustic, I don't care for the sound of new strings. I like 'em about 2 months old or older... dark and warm and full. Lots of mid, not so much treble or transients. And spruce is too bright for me, I much prefer cedar or mahogany or koa tops.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I love ALL pickups. I love all the sounds I can get out of my tele, it just works like a charm on certain songs. I'm still getting used to my strat, but loving it. I love doing subtle surf-ish tremolo dives, always makes my friend laugh because I can nail that sound. And of course, to be funny, I sometimes throw it in at the end of every song we jam to. Ah..but where were we? Oh yes. Pickups. I only have really played hums or single coils. Love the sound Ed gets from his p-90's though. Ok, now I'm just blabbering.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL

I'm the opposite... I prefer darker, thicker guitar sounds. Phat humbuckers, big P-90's, thick Strat sounds...

And on my acoustic, I don't care for the sound of new strings. I like 'em about 2 months old or older... dark and warm and full. Lots of mid, not so much treble or transients. And spruce is too bright for me, I much prefer cedar or mahogany or koa tops.

My lead tones I like as thick and nasty as possible... but thick in overdrive not fuzz... Think Neil Young Live Rust tone... but with more of a brit flavor.

Or Brian May lead tone... creamy and thick.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    My lead tones I like as thick and nasty as possible... but thick in overdrive not fuzz... Think Neil Young Live Rust tone... but with more of a brit flavor.

Or Brian May lead tone... creamy and thick.

Les Paul, PAF Neck, TubeScreamer, Fender Deluxe Reverb.
    Les Paul, PAF Neck, TubeScreamer, Fender Deluxe Reverb.

I prefer

P-90 neck pup, two OD808 (not TS-9) set to clean boost, Vox AC-15 type amp (TopHat Club Deluxe was a good one), through two 12 inch brit speakers... g12H30s work well.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    I prefer

P-90 neck pup, two OD808 (not TS-9) set to clean boost, Vox AC-15 type amp (TopHat Club Deluxe was a good one), through two 12 inch brit speakers... g12H30s work well.

That would be Neil Young - Live Rust with a Brit flavor...

I went for the original :)
    That would be Neil Young - Live Rust with a Brit flavor...

I went for the original :)

The neck pup on the 335 I once had did a great job with the AC-15 reissue I had at the time... through two V30s... it was glorious tone...
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    The neck pup on the 335 I once had did a great job with the AC-15 reissue I had at the time... through two V30s... it was glorious tone...

Head and cab or combo and extension?
    Head and cab or combo and extension?

combo with an extension Fender 212... I ran some compression with that too... ahh the memories.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    combo with an extension Fender 212... I ran some compression with that too... ahh the memories.

Good deal...

I was thinking you had maybe transferred the amp into a head cabinet... which would be SOOOOO cool.