Any interest in a Townshend SG?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know it's already been said:

I am thinking about selling my Townshend SG. I have sold off my entire live rig now. I just moved the last pedal. And am considering getting down to one electric and one acoustic.

I don't have a band at the moment, and don't have the time to find one here in Houston.

In the mean time, I am trying to save for a wedding and pay bills for two people, etc. I am thinking it would be the responsible thing to do to sell one of my guitars. My homemade tele has little $$ value, my J-200 would take a loss (plus I wouldn't have an acoustic anymore), so that leaves the SG.

The best electric guitar I have ever owned, and I have owned a few.

I would love to see it find a home where someone would appreciate it as much as me...

any thoughts or offers considered.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    hell yes I'm interested, unfortunately the money is set aside for a Strat at the moment.

Somebody needs to buy this guitar and fast. Best SG ever.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    hell yes I'm interested, unfortunately the money is set aside for a Strat at the moment.

Somebody needs to buy this guitar and fast. Best SG ever.

I understand. I wish I could sell locally without losing a ton of money selling it to a shop.

That would be easier than actually having to drop this in the mail... that will be hard to do. Maybe my dad would want to buy it... then I would keep it in the family.
    There's No Code.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Pac, if I were a rich woman, I'd buy it for you.

What does something like this go for? As a Pete Townshend fanatic, I too would like this to go to someone who would appreciate it's value
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if i was right-handed, it would be sold.

shit. how much? seriously. does it have all the case candy?
    Pac, if I were a rich woman, I'd buy it for you.

What does something like this go for? As a Pete Townshend fanatic, I too would like this to go to someone who would appreciate it's value

well, they sell new for $1100, in all honesty even dinged, that's still a bargain. I'd say he probably wants between 850 and 1000 for it. Because house is a stand up guy.

I've played countless originals, all at 2200+ and none really were all that decent, and not close to the new Townsends I've managed to hold several times.

I'm kicking myself for not buying the one at MARS when they closed thier doors several years ago.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    exhausted wrote:
    if i was right-handed, it would be sold.

shit. how much? seriously. does it have all the case candy?

not that I have ANYTHING to say in the matter, but being the self-proclaimed biggest Pete fan in the world, I'd be cool with exhausted getting it :)
    not that I have ANYTHING to say in the matter, but being the self-proclaimed biggest Pete fan in the world, I'd be cool with exhausted getting it :)

Greg owns "the leftorium" of guitars.
    i have a large collection of broken and under construction left-handed instruments. :p
    see I don't think like you guys, because I'm in no way a musician of any kind, so I never thought about the left/right guitar thing. The most I've ever had was a cheap acoustic when I was very young, that believe it or not, is still in the family. My nephew plays with it. He's 4 :)
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    well, they sell new for $1100, in all honesty even dinged, that's still a bargain. I'd say he probably wants between 850 and 1000 for it. Because house is a stand up guy.

I've played countless originals, all at 2200+ and none really were all that decent, and not close to the new Townsends I've managed to hold several times.

I'm kicking myself for not buying the one at MARS when they closed thier doors several years ago.

Like I said, if I were a rich woman, YIKES!
    this guitar is the production model, it didn't come with much "case candy"... only one case, with black interior, PTs sig on the shroud.

This isn't the custom shop model, but I couldn't tell any difference between that model and my own.

I would like to get as close to $1000 as I could. They are out of production, and are hard to find. $1000 would go a long ways towards my wedding/law school expenses.

Of course for a PJ fan, it would be hard not to offer a bargain.
    There's No Code.
    ah, i didn't realize there were two different versions. i should have known that but didn't. oh well. i'm sure someone will snap it up.
    exhausted wrote:
    ah, i didn't realize there were two different versions. i should have known that but didn't. oh well. i'm sure someone will snap it up.
    http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sg/townshendsg.html

this is my model.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    this guitar is the production model, it didn't come with much "case candy"... only one case, with black interior, PTs sig on the shroud.

This isn't the custom shop model, but I couldn't tell any difference between that model and my own.

I would like to get as close to $1000 as I could. They are out of production, and are hard to find. $1000 would go a long ways towards my wedding/law school expenses.

Of course for a PJ fan, it would be hard not to offer a bargain.

$1000 is a bargain for what you get in that guitar. It's one of those ones that if you already like the P-90 and the SG body style you'll want to keep the rest of your life.

It's a true players guitar. Sure it's out of production and rare as hell too but damn, it just screams "play me come on Open E's Open G's strum me strum me damnit!"
    Another Month goes by...

Still available... Any interest?

Around $1100 would get it shipped to your door... as long as you don't live too far away.

Let me know...

I will throw in some strings (D-Addario 3 packs), a nice Levy's leather strap... and all the mojo from the gigs I have played with the guitar... that's included.
    There's No Code.
  • That would be the SG I'd play, if I played an SG.

But alas, I'm deathly afraid of snapping the headstock off. I've done that on an Ibanez ArtCore already, don't want to try it with any others.

Good luck on that... I remember when I sold my Tele Sonic, the only way I'd let it go is knowing that it was going to a good home (sold to a good friend of mine). He paid a fair price, but I still wanted it to go somewhere where it would be appreciated.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I know what you mean.

My dad has expressed some interest in the guitar. That would be ideal, I know he would treat it well.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    I know what you mean.

My dad has expressed some interest in the guitar. That would be ideal, I know he would treat it well.

Even better...

If you ever wanted her back again, you know where to go knockin'.
    Even better...

If you ever wanted her back again, you know where to go knockin'.

The ideal situation... he buys it from me... and after seeing the sacrifice I was willing to make to get things ready for the wedding. He gives me the guitar back as a wedding gift.

It's a life lesson that a parent should teach his son. Wouldn't you agree?
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    The ideal situation... he buys it from me... and after seeing the sacrifice I was willing to make to get things ready for the wedding. He gives me the guitar back as a wedding gift.

It's a life lesson that a parent should teach his son. Wouldn't you agree?

Keep yer fingers crossed...

Does your dad play?
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    That would be the SG I'd play, if I played an SG.

But alas, I'm deathly afraid of snapping the headstock off. I've done that on an Ibanez ArtCore already, don't want to try it with any others.

How would you snap the headstock off? How'd you do that to your artcore?
    Also, this guitar is tempting...as it already has P-90's in it. No fuss with tracing the pickguard, trying to figure out how to get Lindy Fralins shipped to Canada, etc.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    Keep yer fingers crossed...

Does your dad play?

yeah, he has played since college... he mainly plays acoustic, but he is looking to get an electric setup as well.

He has a great Gibson J-40 from the 70s and an 80s D-28... He has always liked this guitar out of all the guitars I have been through.
    There's No Code.
  • WiLL75 wrote:
    How would you snap the headstock off? How'd you do that to your artcore?

There's a thin spot in the neck where the headstock meets the neck under the nut. Very critical part, especially on an SG. Fender necks tend to be better, since they're made of maple.

The ArtCore neck broke during shipping. Fuck FedEx. The biggest load of crap I've ever had to deal with.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    There's a thin spot in the neck where the headstock meets the neck under the nut. Very critical part, especially on an SG. Fender necks tend to be better, since they're made of maple.

The ArtCore neck broke during shipping. Fuck FedEx. The biggest load of crap I've ever had to deal with.

Ah...so the big worry for the SG would be shipping, due to that delicate part in the neck.

So what did FedEx do about it? I'm guessing they did nothing...
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • WiLL75 wrote:
    Ah...so the big worry for the SG would be shipping, due to that delicate part in the neck.

So what did FedEx do about it? I'm guessing they did nothing...

Well, there are horror stories out there about SG's. Leaned it up against the amp, and it got knocked... fell off the strap... bumped it kinda hard... SG's have notorious problems with the headstocks falling off. And a great many vintage SG's out there have neck repairs in that area (some good jobs, some hatchet jobs). So it's not just shipping, although shipping it would be a delicate process.

FedEx finally paid for the damage, but it took two months of bitching and e-mailing and calling and taking pictures and researching to get them to pony up. They ended up reimbursing the final auction price, so I was able to give the buyer a full refund, but he wasn't happy about waiting two months for his money (and I couldn't afford to refund it out of pocket). He was a lousy e-Bayer (newbie) anyways, so I didn't feel TOO bad. But I was worried about my feedback rating (still 100%).
    Well, there are horror stories out there about SG's. Leaned it up against the amp, and it got knocked... fell off the strap... bumped it kinda hard... SG's have notorious problems with the headstocks falling off. And a great many vintage SG's out there have neck repairs in that area (some good jobs, some hatchet jobs). So it's not just shipping, although shipping it would be a delicate process.

The thing is that Gibsons have an angled headstock... fenders tend to be much more straight... so that makes the neck joint more fragile... they have improved the design of the neck, but still it could be a concern...

I have gigged my SG plenty, and have had no trouble, but it only takes one time...

Related to selling my SG... My fiance got mad at me for suggesting I sell it... she said that she knows how much I like the guitar, so I shouldn't sell it.

Another reason to love her... :) Supportive of me no matter the situation.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    The thing is that Gibsons have an angled headstock... fenders tend to be much more straight... so that makes the neck joint more fragile... they have improved the design of the neck, but still it could be a concern...

I have gigged my SG plenty, and have had no trouble, but it only takes one time...

Related to selling my SG... My fiance got mad at me for suggesting I sell it... she said that she knows how much I like the guitar, so I shouldn't sell it.

Another reason to love her... :) Supportive of me no matter the situation.

*keeper* :D no wonder you're marrying her.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    *keeper* :D no wonder you're marrying her.

Then she brought up how I spent too much money on gear in the past and that my acoustic guitar was way too nice for someone my age/situation...

I said, but I traded my amp for it... so she said the ampwas too expensive then...

End of the discussion resulted in me agreeing to make no gear deals for 6 months. I have made one of these deals with her before.

That puts me through to the end of the summer, then I can regroup.

Did I mention how great the SG sounded last night after I changed the strings for the first time in three months... I setup the Twin Reverb model and it was fantastic.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Then she brought up how I spent too much money on gear in the past and that my acoustic guitar was way too nice for someone my age/situation...

I said, but I traded my amp for it... so she said the ampwas too expensive then...

End of the discussion resulted in me agreeing to make no gear deals for 6 months. I have made one of these deals with her before.

That puts me through to the end of the summer, then I can regroup.

Did I mention how great the SG sounded last night after I changed the strings for the first time in three months... I setup the Twin Reverb model and it was fantastic.

I think you and I think similarly in terms of tone. Mainly blusey single coil guys but humbuckers in hollowbodies are nice and big full acoustic tone. Getting the high end back from changing my strings makes a huge difference on my guitars.

It's probably a great thing she wants you to wait 6 monts for anymore gear deals. You can focus on writing and enjoying what you have. Hell you probably have a ton to write about if you sit down to think about it.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think you and I think similarly in terms of tone. Mainly blusey single coil guys but humbuckers in hollowbodies are nice and big full acoustic tone. Getting the high end back from changing my strings makes a huge difference on my guitars.

It's probably a great thing she wants you to wait 6 monts for anymore gear deals. You can focus on writing and enjoying what you have. Hell you probably have a ton to write about if you sit down to think about it.

It would seem that we do agree on tone... I don't like strats, but my SG can sound quite a bit like a strat when it wants to.

The new strings had so much more snap to them... bends are faster... hammer ons have more life... I feel like the thing plays 5 times faster as well.

I should work on writing, but I am studying for an Engineering Certification lately... it takes up a lot of my time.
    There's No Code.