might not quite have enough headroom for a gig with this one...

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    no but it will be a nice thing for your nieghbbors and family :)
    I don't know anyone who has played one, but I assume the Dr has made another great amp.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Reeves-Custom-Six-NR_W0QQitemZ7341231187QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Might have a better shot with this one... considering it has a 12" speaker.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Reeves-Custom-Six-NR_W0QQitemZ7341231187QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Might have a better shot with this one... considering it has a 12" speaker.

not only that, its a vintage purple. very cool and very close to the original fanes.

I like the mini Z and the little bad cats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Z-VEX-ZVEX-TUBE-NANO-AMP-AMPLIFIER-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ7341319030QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

why not? I want to see someone gig with this thing.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I think any of these low powered amps could work well and be gigged with a bigger cab... that's where a lot of volume comes from... run the mini z through a 212 and you would have much more volume.

In other news. I think the PT ships today... I hope anyways.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:

all of those are steals.

I couldn't figure what it would cost to rework a Deluxe and do that but that might be what I end up doing if I don't go with an Allen.

I heard a guy play a little 2x10 kendrick the other night at a hole in the wall and it was absolutely incredible.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Well,

I bid $900 on the Ghia... Reserve not met...

I will keep an eye out though.
    There's No Code.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I couldn't figure what it would cost to rework a Deluxe and do that but that might be what I end up doing if I don't go with an Allen.

I still desperately want a '65 Deluxe Reverb RI converted to a head. Fender Deluxe is definitely a fine way to go...

the '66 is here in town! i want it!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I put in a bid on the kendrick modded deluxe. I will see how high it gets. Might end up with a good price and the amp is in Austin, so I may be able to save shipping.

That Clark looks good too...
    There's No Code.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    oh mommy.

WOW!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Yeah, I'd play that.

I'd never play another amp ever again. I'd settle down, have some 6V6's that we'd raise to 6L6's and eventually KT-66's.... sometimes play clean and slow, most of the time play dirty and fast... I would never tire of plugging my 1/4"er in those input jacks...

The reverb is a deal-maker on that, too. Whattya think, $1200 US?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Yeah, I'd play that.

I'd never play another amp ever again. I'd settle down, have some 6V6's that we'd raise to 6L6's and eventually KT-66's.... sometimes play clean and slow, most of the time play dirty and fast... I would never tire of plugging my 1/4"er in those input jacks...

The reverb is a deal-maker on that, too. Whattya think, $1200 US?

the original is 1200. the reverb ads oh 300 maybe. I'd say yeah if it goes for 1200 that would be a kick ass deal. It's every bit as good as any vintage 59 just from the specs and the tubes and the speaker.

Holy smoke. That's one that becomes an heirloom, how do you sell that baby? wow. She's Beeyoootiful.

considering a torn up original will run ya 2500 (ED) Hell of a bargain.
    another good option...

The guy with the Hiwatt said he would ship to me for $1260... I could have that together in a couple of weeks and he is willing to hold the amp. It is tempting, but then again... if I am spending that much on an amp all of a sudden, is the Hiwatt combo what I really want?

It's a tough call.

I think I will wait until I have the funding in hand and explore my options.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    another good option...

The guy with the Hiwatt said he would ship to me for $1260... I could have that together in a couple of weeks and he is willing to hold the amp. It is tempting, but then again... if I am spending that much on an amp all of a sudden, is the Hiwatt combo what I really want?

It's a tough call.

I think I will wait until I have the funding in hand and explore my options.

the Clark is greater than the Hiwatt for our kind of playing I think.

I mean it is a hiwatt though. You know what would sound great through that Hiwatt?

A pete townsend SG.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    the Clark is greater than the Hiwatt for our kind of playing I think.

I mean it is a hiwatt though. You know what would sound great through that Hiwatt?

A pete townsend SG.

smart ass... :D

I think a Schecter PT and a standard tele would sound great through a hiwatt as well.

I know what you mean though... maybe a Dr. Z or more voxy inspired amp suits me better... or a tweed design.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    smart ass... :D

I think a Schecter PT and a standard tele would sound great through a hiwatt as well.

I know what you mean though... maybe a Dr. Z or more voxy inspired amp suits me better... or a tweed design.

you know though, I don't know if you've ever owned a HW. maybe it's worth it to try something new. You know you'll be able to flip it for what you have in it and yeah they will sound grrreeaaat.
    nope... I had a custom 50 halfstack before I went to the Dr. Z camp for a few months... I am a gear whore.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    nope... I had a custom 50 halfstack before I went to the Dr. Z camp for a few months... I am a gear whore.

a dirty dirty whore, why'd you sell the custom 50....wait... let me guess....it was too fucking loud? :D

so you're going to go with this one because you haven't studied your history right?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    a dirty dirty whore, why'd you sell the custom 50....wait... let me guess....it was too fucking loud? :D

so you're going to go with this one because you haven't studied your history right?

It coupled with a 412 with Fanes was very loud indeed. I played the Star Spangled Banner at a couple of college basketball games and at my last track meet (about 2,000 people there)... unmiked... that was fun.

This one is lower power... although I am sure the 40w setting is just as loud as my 50 watter... and only a 212...

The thing is, I don't know if there is an amp that would make me settle down and start a family.

this one seems like a good candidate though.
    There's No Code.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    two weeks... tops.
    exhausted wrote:
    two weeks... tops.

Is that your guess as to how long I would keep the amp if I were to get it?

I consider that a challenge there... ;)

Believe it or not, I would like to get a setup and start playing again. Quit with all the trading, swapping, selling, etc.

That is like a totally different hobby from playing music. It is an expensive hobby too.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Is that your guess as to how long I would keep the amp if I were to get it?

I consider that a challenge there... ;)

Believe it or not, I would like to get a setup and start playing again. Quit with all the trading, swapping, selling, etc.

That is like a totally different hobby from playing music. It is an expensive hobby too.

It's a really cool amp, but if you're going to start giging and doing stuff around there, wouldn't a 2x10 Carmen Ghia combo or some kind of tweed really fit your style better? I mean, you did like the bassman.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah, you'll have it 2.5 weeks... tops. :)

i had the same problem with the selling and buying etc. spent more time doing that than playing. i think i'm done now.

in all seriousness though, i do hope you find something that works for you and you get back out there.

it's also too bad we weren't all in the same city so we could all just jam. or at least, you guys could. i'll record it or something. no... wait. mig would record it.... i'll guitar tech or something. :p
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    It's a really cool amp, but if you're going to start giging and doing stuff around there, wouldn't a 2x10 Carmen Ghia combo or some kind of tweed really fit your style better? I mean, you did like the bassman.

Maybe so... you can't beat a hiwatt for rhythm guitar tones though... also they work well with any pedals you throw on top. So, lead tones can be achieved that way.

I could get a Ghia combo for the same price, or a Club Royale, or a Tweed Deluxe style amp... plenty of good options.
    There's No Code.
    exhausted wrote:
    yeah, you'll have it 2.5 weeks... tops. :)

it's also too bad we weren't all in the same city so we could all just jam. or at least, you guys could. i'll record it or something. no... wait. mig would record it.... i'll guitar tech or something. :p

Agreed, it would be nice to have some like minded people to play with... that's what I am working on lately.

That and being a gear whore.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:

indeed. why not get the bassman back for less :D
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:

it's solid, I think you can knock the power back too.