Options

Line 6 Spider II HD head

2»

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i want to make fun of that marshall b/c of the built in effects but i can't b/c i've swore allegience to my POD.
  • Options
    yeah I thought it sounded good. I just don't want to buy something and then wish I had gotten something else.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I'll guarantee you'll eventually want a JCM 800 2203 head instead, but it might be three years before you come to that realization. Tubes is tubes is tubes. I have doubts about their multi-FX system, but you don't sound like you want all those bells and whistles anyways, so you probably won't use them much. For the price, it's not a bad deal, though. At least you'll have a good cab, you can replace the amp later and have a good backup to boot.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    haha what's wrong with the built in effects? Let me just say that I only have a 30 watt rouge piece of crap amp and a 75 watt bass amp that was my dad's. I've never owned a tube amp so what is so special about them compared to the valve amps?
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by MissUAlready
    youre telling me... Ive gone through (no kidding) 6 amps 10 guitars and over 50 effects pedals in the last 3 years......

Now Im here:

1999 American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe

Zvex Super Hard On
    Dunlop 535Q Wah
    Keeley Compressor
    Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion (Keeley Mod)
    Keeley "Baked" TS-9
    MXR Phase 90
    Fulltone Custom Shop Mini Deja Vibe
    Boss DM-3 Analog Delay
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    Ibanez CS-9 Chorus
    DOD Stereo Flanger
    Line 6 DL-4 Delay
    Nine Volt Nirvana BronoBoost
    3 Way Loooper (true bypass strip) loooper.com

Reverend Hellhound 40/60 Head
    Trutone Custom 2x12 Cabinet (http://www.trutonecustom.com)

Im pretty happy now... except I really would like to get a guitar with Humbuckers again...

i dunno...

you are my hero.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah i'm not much on effets. Of the ones on there, I would probably just use the chorus effect. I might would use the delay, only to play the intro to "Welcome to He Jungle" though. haha
  • Options
    Originally posted by JSP552003
    haha what's wrong with the built in effects? Let me just say that I only have a 30 watt rouge piece of crap amp and a 75 watt bass amp that was my dad's. I've never owned a tube amp so what is so special about them compared to the valve amps?

there's nothing wrong with them if that's what your ears like.

and tube/valve is the same thing.

i started on a fender JAM 25W piece of shit with built in chorus and distortion.
  • Options
    First of all, valve amps ARE tube amps, the British call tubes 'valves.' You want to know the difference between tube amps and solid-state amps. Tube amps are warmer, but more tempermental. Sweeter, but need more maintenance. Sound better, but are inconsistent. There are a few good solid-state amps out there, like a Roland Jazz Chorus, but for the most part, tube amps are the way to go. They do cost more, obviously.

There are hybrid amps out there that have a tube or tubes in the pre-amp stage, and there are a few amps (Music Man amps, especially) that have solid-state pre-amps, and tube power amps. They have their advantages and disadvantages, too.

I say go for it. Like I said, you'll eventually want to improve your sound, and you'll eventually have more money to spend on a good tube amp. So get that one now, then replace it with a tube head in a few years, and keep the old amp as a back-up.
  • Options
    thanks. I think I will get it. I don't really see a reason to get the line 6 spider II over a marshall.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JSP552003
    thanks. I think I will get it. I don't really see a reason to get the line 6 spider II over a marshall.

line6 gives you more versality generally. however, the spiders seem like the redheaded stepchildren of the line6 family.
  • Options
    for the money if you are going with Line 6 go with the Duoverb. I can't believe they are selling them for 500 bucks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    You want Marshall sound. Why get something other than a Marshall? If you wanted the sound of a Marshall, a Mesa-Boogie, a Fender Tweed and Blackface, a Vox, a Hiwatt, a Savage, etc... then a Line 6 is your amp. If you want to play a Marshall... get a Marshall.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    for the money if you are going with Line 6 go with the Duoverb. I can't believe they are selling them for 500 bucks.

Model clearance is a beautiful thing... they must be coming out with Mark II of the DuoVerb.
  • Options
    I dont know if this was already mentioned but... my friend has a spider and he plays live and he says it's a pain in the ass. Everytime you want to change settings it takes forever unless you have the floorcontrol for it! Just a suggestion! Dont know any of the details about it but thats what he told me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Brain of DirtyFrank
    I dont know if this was already mentioned but... my friend has a spider and he plays live and he says it's a pain in the ass. Everytime you want to change settings it takes forever unless you have the floorcontrol for it! Just a suggestion! Dont know any of the details about it but thats what he told me!

chances are it will also mute out for a split second as it changes programs, even with the floor control. my POD does. which isn't an issue for me b/c i didn't need to change programs mid-song.
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160
    buy a peavey 50 classic head with a cabinet under it

you'll see !!!! that baby rocks !
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    so the spider would short out for a sec if I went from clean to distorted? that sucks
  • Options
    It wouldn't literally 'short out,' but as the computer in the Line 6 unloads the previous program and loads another, it has some lag time. Any computer has lag time for this kind of proceedure. Like exhausted said, it's fine, so long as you use the same program through the entire song, or have little 1-2 second breaks to switch.
  • Options
    screw that. I'll just get the marshall.
  • Options
    Excellent choice.

:)
  • Options
    See what I'm saying?
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    chances are it will also mute out for a split second as it changes programs, even with the floor control. my POD does. which isn't an issue for me b/c i didn't need to change programs mid-song.

the guy has the original spider obviously which came out a few years ago. the new ones dont have that lag....i have the podxt pro and my patch changes are immediate.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    I'd still get the Marshall.... theres reasons theyve stood the test of time.......

Tubes Forever.
  • Options
    i just suggest going and trying out a spider II. and marshalls arent that much better than line 6. just different. you can get a line 6 to sound just like a marshall...a lot of people just try to shun line 6 cause they love tubes and run at the idea that something that isnt tube could sound as good. just try it out for yourself and see if you like it. thats what really matters. not any of our opinions.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dannyschmanny
    i just suggest going and trying out a spider II. and marshalls arent that much better than line 6. just different. you can get a line 6 to sound just like a marshall...a lot of people just try to shun line 6 cause they love tubes and run at the idea that something that isnt tube could sound as good. just try it out for yourself and see if you like it. thats what really matters. not any of our opinions.

yeah but for the money you'd spend on a spider, why not get a Pod 2.0 or XT maybe even a Pod Pro, and a tube power amp as many watts as you need. Then just find the right cab to suit your needs. If you're going to spend money get what you want even if it takes you longer to save or pay off. It will be worth it in the end. Hell the Duoverb heads are going for $499!!! Two amps at once good speakers plenty of clean plenty of dirty. If you're going to get a 2x12 spider, forget it. Get the Duoverb head and find a cab you like and you can probably get out for under $1000 I bet a 4x10 cab with webers would sound amazing. Truetone could build one for way under your price range.

However if a Marshall will make you happy forget all I just said and get that. Danny is right on. Your ears and tastes are different so get what you want what you gravitate too.
  • Options
    this is all moot. he wants a box that says "marshall" on it. end of story.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    this is all moot. he wants a box that says "marshall" on it. end of story.

See? If you want Dr. Pepper, and the store has Dr. Pepper, Dr. Slice, and Mr. Pibb, shouldn't you just get the Dr. Pepper? Sure, the Dr. Slice and Mr. Pibb are good, some people think their taste is more "versatile", but hell, you want Dr. Pepper, not something that tastes the same.

And for the record, Diet Dr. Pepper does NOT taste anything like the real Dr. Pepper. Now if you'll excuse me, I need a Mr. Pibb.
  • Options
    Dude you forgot Sam's choice Dr. Thunder. I drink that stuff all the time. haha