Options

Line 6 Spider II HD head

JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been wanting to get a new amp, but I don't know what to get. I know marshall's are great, but they are soooo expensive. I know the Spider II isn't even close to a marshall. It's not even a tube amp, but it's about half the price. I just want some reviews on them to see if they are any good. Does anyone out there have one?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like their POD very much but i've never tried a spider.
  • Options
    thanks. I want to get a good 100 watt or more half stack in the range of about $800 to about $1000. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by JSP552003
    thanks. I want to get a good 100 watt or more half stack in the range of about $800 to about $1000. Any other suggestions?

what type of music do you play?

If you want to go with Line 6 there is a fantastic deal going on at http://www.musiciansfriend.com on the Line 6 Duoverb heads.

$499 for a $1000 amp. Two amps at once, That and the cab and cables should run you less than $1000 and it's fantastic for the money very flexible no matter what you play.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    grunge stuff like Nirvana, Pearl jam (of course), metallica, guns n' roses. Mostly hard rock and some metal.
  • Options

get a combo in that price range. splitting it into a head and cab just costs you more.

shittier head and cab for the same money as a good combo.
  • Options
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031103092835012150117131995354/g=home/search/detail/base_id/87263

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031103092835012150117131995354/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/46175

theres your cab under a grand.

here it is. You'll find your sound in there. but if you want to go with a spider, those will suit you well too.

You should be able to find a used Marshall 50 watt DSL stack for under a grand eaisly. You really don't need a hundred tube watts trust me. Vedder uses a 50 watt amp as does Tom Morello. A hundred watts is overkill when it comes to tubes because maximum output is rated before distortion at around 5 on the volume knob.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah but most combos just have two 12's and if I get the head and a cab I can get four 12's.
  • Options
    yeah but most combos just have two 12's and if I get the head and a cab I can get four 12's.

see the links in my previous post. I've got you at around $900 bucks plus tax and all it should be less than a grand.
  • Options
    ok thanks. but say I did get a marshall tube amp 50 watt. would the clean actually stay clean at higher volumes or would it start to get muddy? I know I could also get a carvin tube amp 100 watt half stack for about $950. Are they any good?
  • Options
    ok thanks. but say I did get a marshall tube amp 50 watt. would the clean actually stay clean at higher volumes or would it start to get muddy? I know I could also get a carvin tube amp 100 watt half stack for about $950. Are they any good?

the only bad things I've heard about carvin were from thier Legacy amps with reliability issues.

The MTS series are pretty good similar to Marshall but I prefer EL-34 power tubes to the 6550's that normally come installed but it might be an option to change.

many people generally like carvins. check out reviews on http://www.Harmony-central.com

The Marshalls do stay clean. on the clean channel with the gain down to a reasonably loud volume but if you want very clean the 100 watt will certainly provide more clean headroom. I'd try and play them side by side to see how much volume you really need. Try them out in a store if you can.
  • Options
    yeah, but the only problem with that is there isn't a good guitar store around here. The only one close only sells fender and stuff like that. I really liked the distortion on the Spider, I just don;t want to buy it and then say "Man this sucks, I shoud have got a marshall tube amp" haha
  • Options
    well the carvins sound like a good deal. I know thier guitars are great. Most people suggest swapping the power tubes to EL-34's (like Marshall) and perhaps swapping the preamp tubes to better tubes as well. I'd go with the MTS head and maybe a legacy cabinet because of the Vintage 30's but it's all personal preference
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I'd just recommend a JCM 2000 all-tube 100-watt head with a 1965B cabinet, but it sorta busts your price ceiling. The solid-state Marshall half-stacks are more likely in your price range, but no tubes is no tubes. This AVT combo might be worth looking at:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031103201820150131025216164859/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/49399

And it at least has one tube. This might be your ultimate goal:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031103201820150131025216164859/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/87080

Hell, I wouldn't mind having THAT in my basement.

Carvin and Crate both have good tube heads... like Paco said, maybe some reliability issues, but they're more reasonably priced. Crate's Blue Voodoo series is pretty sweet, maybe not as high-gain, but good stuff nonetheless. And maybe take a look at a Peavey 5150... they're pricey, too, but they have that brown sound.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options

I would look into these

Reverend Hellhound Head (not 100 watts but very cool)
    Sovtek Mig 100 (nice tone good price)
    Marshall JCM800 Head (should be able to find one around 700)

also look into avatarspeakers.com for high quality cabinets that dont cost you your ass.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MissUAlready
    Sovtek Mig 100 (nice tone good price)

That's kinda funny, I have been looking for an old Fender Bassman head, and have recently been turned onto the Sovtek Mig amps... been checking out a few 50's, 60's, and 100's. I'd probably prefer a 50 or 60, but the 100's sound sweet, too.
  • Options
    I had a 67 Blackface Bassman head...

the tone was outstanding... very sparkley... nice breakup around 7...

is was really noisy though... maybe it was just mine.
  • Options
    Vintage amps... warts and all, you know? Maybe the electrolytic and/or caps needed replaced. They can lead to some buzz. Was it grounded?

I love the sound of a Bassman with a Tubescreamer in front...

I thought the '67 Fenders were silverface... sure it wasn't a '66?
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Vintage amps... warts and all, you know? Maybe the electrolytic and/or caps needed replaced. They can lead to some buzz. Was it grounded?

I love the sound of a Bassman with a Tubescreamer in front...

I thought the '67 Fenders were silverface... sure it wasn't a '66?

68 was the beginning of the silverface era.
  • Options
    well...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569032106&category=38074

Every '67 Fender I see on eBay is a silverface. Maybe they all have their dates wrong, but... I was pretty sure '67 was the switch-over year. They may have finished out stocks of black faceplates...
  • Options
    Got some information from this site:
    http://www.fender-amp.com/history.asp

Says, "[T]ransition from black face to silver face actually started in '68."

Guess I was wrong.
  • Options
    It was all original... Im sure it needed new caps... but there isnt an amp tech within 150 miles of here...

I pushed it with a Keeley Baked TS-9... glorious!

it still had the 2 prong plug even... hence Im sure the buzzing.
  • Options
    Yep, new caps and a grounded plug, you would've been set. My '65 Fender Vibro Champ is currently in the shop for a general overhaul... new tubes, new caps, new electrolytic, grounded AC cable, and a new Weber 8" AlNiCo speaker. Break my bank for the year, damnit...
  • Options
    I need to get my Blues DeVille 4x10 repaired... its all messed up...

I wanna sell it after I get it fixed and put the $ towards a Les Paul or a Hiwatt head... I gotta stop buying effects pedals..... ARG!
  • Options
    Gear will suck you in, my friend... once you start looking, buying, and collecting, you can't stop without serious psychiatric intervention.
  • Options
    youre telling me... Ive gone through (no kidding) 6 amps 10 guitars and over 50 effects pedals in the last 3 years......

Now Im here:

1999 American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe

Zvex Super Hard On
    Dunlop 535Q Wah
    Keeley Compressor
    Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion (Keeley Mod)
    Keeley "Baked" TS-9
    MXR Phase 90
    Fulltone Custom Shop Mini Deja Vibe
    Boss DM-3 Analog Delay
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    Ibanez CS-9 Chorus
    DOD Stereo Flanger
    Line 6 DL-4 Delay
    Nine Volt Nirvana BronoBoost
    3 Way Loooper (true bypass strip) loooper.com

Reverend Hellhound 40/60 Head
    Trutone Custom 2x12 Cabinet (http://www.trutonecustom.com)

Im pretty happy now... except I really would like to get a guitar with Humbuckers again...

i dunno...
  • Options
    to say it like cartman would "line 6 is tits!" i'm totally behind line 6. especially now with their newest releases they have gotten so good with their modeling you cant tell a difference between the real amps and line 6's model of each. i have the podxt pro rack and a mesa 50/50 tube power amp...and it sounds better than most tube amps.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Mine:

1998 Fender Tele Sonic
    1998 Fender Bastard Tele/Esquire

MXR Phase 90
    Ibanez TS-9 (will be replacing with Keeley TS-808 and Baked TS-9)
    Ernie Ball Mono Volume
    Ibanez DM1100 Digital Delay (rack unit)
    Korg tuner

Into one of the following:
    1965 Fender Vibro Champ
    198? Marshall JCM 800 4210 combo (single 12")
    199? Fender Roc-Pro head
    Pignose Amp

And:
    Crate Blue Voodoo 4 x 10" cabinet
    Marshall 1965B 4 x 10" cabinet

I have a fair assortment of other pedals, a Dunlop Cry Baby, some other distortions, etc. Also, a couple acoustics, a mandolin, a Fender P-Bass and a Gallien-Krueger Bass Amp with a Sunn 6 x 10" cabinet. A Sonar Force 2001 drum set. A crappy Peavey PA. And some mics and stuff.
  • Options
    what about this amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031104073836066139161209351337/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/482807/

how do you think it would compare to the spider? I know it's not a tube amp, but neither is the spider. It's only $679 though.
  • Options
    I don't know anything about that series, but the sound clips sounded okay... very high-gain...