Options

Let's all talk about the telecaster HS

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Seriously who doesn't wanna talk about this guitar.

I might buy one. It is essentially an american made 72 reissue. This is why Iw ant one. I save a bit more and get my American telecaster HS instead of the 72 reissue custom. It comes with a hard shell case which is sweet. And it has a sturdier bridge and stuff I'm sure (the 72 only has a 3 saddle whatever that means.)

So I am having trouble finding reviews of this guitar. I assume it has the same amazing quality of the other american made fenders. Have any of you guys heard one played?

I am also wondering if it is possible to put a pickguard on without affecting the tone or wrecking the body.

I will put a link to the guitar specs and a picture so you guys can read up about it if you haven't heard of it.

I would get black pickguard on black guitar (eddie style)

So go nuts lets talk about telecaster HS
http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0118600
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the HH looks more appealling but that's just preference.

a pickguard wouldn't affect the tone really but you are going to be drilling holes in the body for it.
  • Options
    on the whole american quality and feel thing.

i know i prefer the modern profile necks. the quality of the components, wiring and finish aren't going to be a problem.

area of biggest potential letdown is going to be the pickups but if you don't like them, that can be easy to fix. the feel of the guitar itself is more important since you can't really change that drastically.
  • Options
    well is there something wrong with the atomic 2 humbucker? Is it not very good?

Fill me in here.

And someone explain finger board radius please. What does this refer to. Is higher better or worse.

So is the C shaped modern neck smaller than the U shaped neck on 72 reissues? Which is bigger or smaller and what are their advantages/disadvanteges. I have average sized hands.

Thanks for the help guys.

Oh and isn't generally better to have pick guard? Like why the hell don't these things havea pickguard?
  • Options
    doesn't need a pickguard b/c everything is installed from the back of the guitar save the pickups. on most fenders, the pots, switches and pickups are mounted on the pickguard. the HS and HH are more of a gibson style in terms of component mounting.

i think it's more unique without the guard.

as for the necks. the modern C might feel smaller than the U but it's all personal preference. my first guitars had C necks so that what i'm used to.

fretboard radius: if you look, the fretboard is actually curved. if you followed that curve into a full circle, the circle would ahve whatever radius is spec'ed. again, there is no better or worse. just preference. most of mine are 9.5" but i have one neck that goes from 10" to 16" compound and it feels very very flat. not sure i like it as much yet. excellent for soloing though. fenders however, generally have 9.5" on the modern necks and 7.5" (i think) on the vintage style necks.

the pickups: they might suck. they might not. i have no idea. but lots of new fenders seem to suffer from lacklustre pickups from the reviews i've read.
  • Options
    I always understood pickguards were to protect the finish. For example all acoustics have pickguards but clearly these guards aren't covering electronics. I mainly want to give it the black on black pickguard look like eddies schecter.
  • Options
    yes. it will protect the finish. one of my acoustics has a clear pickguard.

some les pauls have no pickguard. some do.

just preference.

if you wanted a guard made to fit that guitar, http://www.warmoth.com is your ticket.
  • Options
    wait a minute. ed's schecter has no pickguard.
  • Options
    that site is really cool. What do you guys think of all the cool Colors. I liket he black matte finish like I said but wow....are there ever some kick ass choices.
  • Options
    they make great stuff. i've assembled a guitar from their parts they're all very high quality.

as for pickgaurds. they did my tele's guard.
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/tele/tele_body.JPG
  • Options
    eds schecter has a pickguard. It's black matte on black so it's very hard to see.

here I found a good picture of it. man that guitar rocks. I would pay more than 1000$ for a truly mint condition replica.

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/multimedia/pics/ed040.jpg
  • Options
    is that different schecter or a fender? hard to tell but now I'm finding pictures of a no pickguard schecter.

hmmm
  • Options
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    eds schecter has a pickguard. It's black matte on black so it's very hard to see.

here I found a good picture of it. man that guitar rocks. I would pay more than 100$ for a truly mint condition replica.

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/multimedia/pics/ed040.jpg

that's not a schecter PT which is why i was confused. the schecter looks like this. only black.
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/images/ev96sche.jpg
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the non pickguard look is fairly popular on humbucker equipped guitars. I don't believe Ed's schecter has a pickguard. If you don't strum to wildly usually you can buff out the scratches with a finish remover.

I'd like to tell you more about the Tele HS but it's a brand new series. THey also have a Toronado with those (P-90) black doves in it I want to try. They look cool and will be well built. But if you like that black schecter I'd try and find one of those. I know it's got locking tuners and Seymour Duncan p/u's stock. Coil spitters so you can get single coil or humbucker tone. It's basically the definition of working mans guitar.

The HS would certainly not be a bad choice if thats what you want. I would not try fitting a pickguard unless you do wish to drill the top. My Les Paul had the pickguard removed when I bought it. Many people prefer that look for cosmetic reasons but I'm with you. I dig pickguards on Strats and Teles. Especially 3 ply mint green on sunburst and black on butterscotch blonde. What can I say I love the classics.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    ed also plays a 1985 schecter tele. This is the more famous one from touring band?
  • Options
    I also think you would dig the Carvin TL-60.

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?P1=GTR

Custom Shop. They'll build it like you want it. Its also Neck through just like Ed's Schecter.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    So that first picture I posted is a telecaster black on black. It has a black headstock also. I was wondering if this comes automatically with a rosewood finger board or what? It doesn't seem to be an option from fender.
  • Options
    So that first picture I posted is a telecaster black on black. It has a black headstock also. I was wondering if this comes automatically with a rosewood finger board or what? It doesn't seem to be an option from fender.

it's old. and possibly custom. it's definitely not current. it's based on a telecaster custom since those were the only ones i'm aware of that had binding.

the painted headstock appears once in a while on various models. it was prevalent in the 60s.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    it's old. and possibly custom. it's definitely not current. it's based on a telecaster custom since those were the only ones i'm aware of that had binding.

the painted headstock appears once in a while on various models. it was prevalent in the 60s.

I could be wrong here, but I actually think its one of Mike's guitars. I remember seeing it on the gear section with the pics on giventowail.... you can find it under 2003 tour gear album. Its one of Mikes spare guitars and it's a Fender. I just checked but the site doesn't allow me to link it.
  • Options
    no, you're right wax. it's mike's guitar. now that i see a better pic, it doesn't look that old.

no idea what the details on it are though.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Forget all your blathering and bow down to worship this guitar:
    http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0262100

I want that so bad...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Forget all your blathering and bow down to worship this guitar:
    http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0262100

I want that so bad...

yeah Gibsons been building them since 1957 :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

1952 even.
  • Options
    the FMT HH in a local music store. The red one. Wow did it look amazing. The picture on the site doesn't do it justice
  • Options
    the FMT HH in a local music store. The red one. Wow did it look amazing. The picture on the site doesn't do it justice

sounds good too. Especially in the Super Reverb and Vibro King.
  • Options
    In my opinion, telecasters were made to have two pickups, the bridge-higher tone pickup and the delicious blues pickup closer to the neck. The '58 telecaster custom (as seen in musician's friend) is a great guitar, but it's not a telecaster to me. The "Telecaster Deluxe" (not an american deluxe tele) is a cool guitar but it's not a telecaster. If you don't know what a telecaster deluxe is, it's a telecaster with a jimi-hendrix style strat headstock.

this HH thing might sound great, but it's not a tele :(. If you want the telecaster sound, get a Highway 1 tele, an american deluxe telecaster, or the custom bigsby telecaster. I have an american deluxe '52 reissue telecaster, it's my baby, and i love it to death. If you want the telecaster sound, this is not hte guitar for you
    My mind is not for rent,
    To any god or government.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Telemaster
    In my opinion, telecasters were made to have two pickups, the bridge-higher tone pickup and the delicious blues pickup closer to the neck.

this HH thing might sound great, but it's not a tele :(. If you want the telecaster sound, get a Highway 1 tele, an american deluxe telecaster, or the custom bigsby telecaster. I have an american deluxe '52 reissue telecaster, it's my baby, and i love it to death. If you want the telecaster sound, this is not hte guitar for you

I love the Tele look and feel, but HATE the sound. Where do I fit?

Yeah, but did they build them to look and feel like a Tele? YOU SEE MY PROBLEM HERE, FOLKS? I need a Tele with Gibson Classic 57 humbuckers and a Tele with P-90's. Then I'll quit bitchin'.
  • Options
    Yeah, but did they build them to look and feel like a Tele? YOU SEE MY PROBLEM HERE, FOLKS? I need a Tele with Gibson Classic 57 humbuckers and a Tele with P-90's. Then I'll quit bitchin'.

spend some cash at warmoth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Telemaster
    In my opinion, telecasters were made to have two pickups, the bridge-higher tone pickup and the delicious blues pickup closer to the neck. The '58 telecaster custom (as seen in musician's friend) is a great guitar, but it's not a telecaster to me. The "Telecaster Deluxe" (not an american deluxe tele) is a cool guitar but it's not a telecaster. If you don't know what a telecaster deluxe is, it's a telecaster with a jimi-hendrix style strat headstock.

ah, we have a traditionalist in our midst.

if it sounds great, bonus.

however, this whole thread has been about someone wanting a guitar that *looks* like eds so the whole thing's kinda silly.
  • Options
    I love the Tele look and feel, but HATE the sound. Where do I fit?

Tele HH<Fatbastard Rio Grande swap

Tele HH< Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PAF's. Seth Lover invented the 57 classics. (Look in Guitar Center after christmas they sell all the P/U's at cost.) $20 a piece.
  • Options
    Tele HH<Fatbastard Rio Grande swap

Tele HH< Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PAF's. Seth Lover invented the 57 classics. (Look in Guitar Center after christmas they sell all the P/U's at cost.) $20 a piece.

I'd probably look for a second Tele Sonic and try to swap in a standard-sized P-90. But I can definitely take any HH Tele and do the '57 swap. I know how it'll be done... just don't know when! Or how much it'll cost!