Here is the plan

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am waiting to see if telesonic gets some sound clips of the phaser up on his site. But after that I plan on this setup. Is there any criticisms of this, like pedals won't sound good together etc. Or do people think this is cool?

Tele
>Ts9+
>shannon phaser
>Ad9 delay
>Hiwatt

So what is the verdict?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Another more specific question I have also, is if the phaser and delay can be turned on at once. I am not an expert on what phasers sound like but could a delayed phased signal sound cool or no?

I am trying to get a really cool lead tone and that is why I want the phaser, so I have the ability to make a funny standout sound occassionally.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    should be fine.

i'm weird and would reverse that pedal order but that's just a personal preference.
    i just turned everyone on at once and go from there. :p
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yes, phaser and delay will work together, although the phase effect gets more subtle with a delay on.

I'd order the pedals this way:

Tele -> Phaser -> TS-9+ -> AD-9 -> Amp

Seems like a pretty standard, simple setup. I approve.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If anyones interested I just got an email from keeley. The Ad9 should be ready to order by the end of next week.

I have no idea on the price but would guess about the same as a modded tubescreamer, so like 160 about.
  • If anyones interested I just got an email from keeley. The Ad9 should be ready to order by the end of next week.

I have no idea on the price but would guess about the same as a modded tubescreamer, so like 160 about.
    i'm gonna guess it will be more than 160 since the stock ad9's are 140.

what are the mods he's doing to them?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    you're looking at at least $55-$60 over the cost of the stock pedal for his mods.
  • Yah, 190 for a delay may seem pricey, but when you consider unmodded Boss Dm3's go on ebay for 200 US, 190 is really a decent price to pay for a top quality delay.

Not sure on the mods yet, keeley always improves the bypass though, and this is really important cause delay is not something you just leave on like an overdrive or a compressor.

Hey MIG why phaser first?

And how does overdrive + phaser sound? Pretty cool?

Thanks
  • Yah, 190 for a delay may seem pricey, but when you consider unmodded Boss Dm3's go on ebay for 200 US, 190 is really a decent price to pay for a top quality delay.

Not sure on the mods yet, keeley always improves the bypass though, and this is really important cause delay is not something you just leave on like an overdrive or a compressor.

And how does overdrive + phaser sound? Pretty cool?

Thanks
    i just read on Keeley's site that he's adding tap-tempo to them...

i have my phaser first (guitar -->phaser...) and it definitely sounds the best. I put it there because with my set-up the phaser is more prominate when the OD is on...i do suppose it depends on your set-up and preferences though.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV

It makes the sound a lot smoother, but also more audible, when both pedals are on. Try it both ways and see. But I've always had my phaser before OD.
  • tap-tempo eh? What is that?
  • tap-tempo eh? What is that?
    it lets you control when you get delay by tapping the pedal with your foot.

the boss dd6 has this feature. the dd5 has an input jack for a pedal that can be used for tap temp.

i'm not sure whether keeley is adding a jack or including it as part of the pedal.

• Well, I don't quite understand the difference between an on off switch like a normal pedal, and between tap-tempo
    Well, I don't quite understand the difference between an on off switch like a normal pedal, and between tap-tempo

On and off means delay, or no delay.

A tap tempo is for when you want your delay to be in time with the song. You tap in the quarter notes for the song, and the delay time is set to that tempo. It's not always needed, but for some stuff, it's a cool effect to have your repeats in time.
  • Tap tempo is a very usefull function. Its so easy to change your sound drastacilly by using it, can create some amazing delay.
    I Was Caught In Traffic!
  • So I understand tap temp. But I now have an interesting technical question. Since these pedals are analog how does tap tempo work?

LIke I imagine that the delay time setter (the normal knob) changes the signal path x amount everytime you turn it up abit. But with tap tempo wouldn't there have to be some digital components to remember your tapped in timing? Like a memory even.

like I mean it would seem easy to create a normal knob that controls delay timing (the type that is on every pedal) cause it's a linear or geometric scale, that is, the next number can be predicted that the knob will turn too (the next time setting). But then with tap tempo the timing is essentially random right? I am thinking it could do this by timiing and adding other values together already on the scale it has access to. WHich makes sense cuse you can't tap in a 25 second delay cause thats out of the range of the original scale right.

anyone Understand why I intuitively think it's weird that an analog pedal can have a tap tempo control?
    the fact that he's calling it "glide tempo" says to me he's just added an expression pedal jack to control the delay time pot externally.

of course, he thinks putting volume control on a tremolo makes it a clean boost so who knows.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    the fact that he's calling it "glide tempo" says to me he's just added an expression pedal jack to control the delay time pot externally.

of course, he thinks putting volume control on a tremolo makes it a clean boost so who knows.

precisely guv'nor. that's just what he's done. Tap Tempo is digital, good call

Essentially anyone could do that using the TIP third hand for any pot on virtually any pedal.

I love the concept of that on the stab knob of the fuzz factory.

Keeley is aparently the king of marketing what's already available.

He's not really revolutionary but he does a good job with what he does.

interestingly enough, ex, have you seen the Tramp from Homebrew electronics?

it's a tremolo preamp, though I don't remember it being marketed as a clean boost.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    he makes good shit but i just grew tired of his shyster marketing.
    exhausted wrote:

That's what happens when everyone says you're all that and a bag of pork rinds.

I still swear by his TS mods.
    That's what happens when everyone says you're all that and a bag of pork rinds.

I still swear by his TS mods.

the blues driver and Rat are pretty nice as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    don't get me wrong. the work itself is quality.
    exhausted wrote:
    don't get me wrong. the work itself is quality.

True...

Just goes to show, not all mfg's can be as nice and honest as Eric Shannon.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    I am waiting to see if telesonic gets some sound clips of the phaser up on his site. But after that I plan on this setup. Is there any criticisms of this, like pedals won't sound good together etc. Or do people think this is cool?

Tele
    >Ts9+
    >shannon phaser
    >Ad9 delay
    >Hiwatt

So what is the verdict?

Good choice for the phaser. ;)

I run the phaser before od. Like MIG said, they seems to blend better that way. Do whatever sounds best to your ear though.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    True...

Just goes to show, not all mfg's can be as nice and honest as Eric Shannon.

awwww...you're making me blush, dave. :)
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    exhausted wrote:

keeley could put a couple jacks and knobs on a dog turd and people would probably buy it. it's "the shit"!
    Telesonic wrote:
    keeley could put a couple jacks and knobs on a dog turd and people would probably buy it. it's "the shit"!

to be fair he does actually market "wood" effects. That's about the same. He's got to just laugh at home at the things he can sell.

Got any distortions left E?
    Telesonic wrote:

brown boost
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    to be fair he does actually market "wood" effects. That's about the same. He's got to just laugh at home at the things he can sell.

Got any distortions left E?

yep, $100 shipped if you're still interested. i sent one off to 62strat today actually.
    exhausted wrote:
    brown boost

how about "brown sound in a log"? put some stank on your tone.