Eds acoustic

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Whats up with that thing? It has the strangest colour of wood. It is so dark. Did it come that way or is it aged? It says on GTW it's a 194x martin 0-18. A new 0-18 is like 1800 US. Is this a smaller scale guitar or what? Whats the deal with it and its extreme age?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    i have an alvarez acuostic and its the exact same color.

its just a darker wood. i think.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's an all mahogany D -15 or 18 I would think.

D is for Dreadnaught.

Mahogany is a rich tone wood known particularly for it's warm sound. You can hear the pleasing warm tone come through on songs like "Thumbing my Way"

Rosewood is deeper with more bass and sounds fantastic with a spruce top.

Maple is bright and clear and sounds great and even when combined with a good mic or preamp (Pete Townsends J 200 for instance)

There are other woods certainly but Ed's acoustic is definately an older Mahogany Martin.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Maple is bright and clear and sounds great and even when combined with a good mic or preamp (Pete Townsends J 200 for instance)

quote]

So, I suppose PT is a better reference for J200 tone than me!?!?! :D:D

Come on.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Pacomc79 wrote:

quote]

So, I suppose PT is a better reference for J200 tone than me!?!?! :D:D

Come on.

I deeply appologise.

Maple is bright and clear and sounds great and even when combined with a good mic or preamp (the incomparable House 53's J 200 for instance) :p
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Ok, but given to wail said it was an 0-18 martin from 1940 something. What does the 0-18 mean? It can't be a dreadnought. It says something about the smaller scale on musiciansfriend but that is picture is spruce or maple, it is bright beige in colour not dark brown.

It seems strange all my interest in high end acoustics since I am approx 10 YEARS away from getting one :)

But hey, tommorow night I will be playing with my new wizard wah!!! Going to toronto tommorow to pick it up
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Ok, but given to wail said it was an 0-18 martin from 1940 something. What does the 0-18 mean? It can't be a dreadnought. It says something about the smaller scale on musiciansfriend but that is picture is spruce or maple, it is bright beige in colour not dark brown.

It seems strange all my interest in high end acoustics since I am approx 10 YEARS away from getting one :)

But hey, tommorow night I will be playing with my new wizard wah!!! Going to toronto tommorow to pick it up

0-18 is a model designation. orchestra body.
    Ok, but given to wail said it was an 0-18 martin from 1940 something. What does the 0-18 mean? It can't be a dreadnought. It says something about the smaller scale on musiciansfriend but that is picture is spruce or maple, it is bright beige in colour not dark brown.

sweet, new wizard wah.

Given to Wail is a letter off. it's a D-18

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/technical/understanding.html

http://www.martinguitar.com/history/dreadnought1.html

this may help, you may also search mahogany and martin D-18

the numbers represent body styles.
  • I know that, but does the 18 refer to a short fret board maybe? Or have some other significance. Like they don't name models randomly usually.

Like DG CE
    dreadnaught cutaway electric etc.
    why not go to martin's website and do some research.
    I know that, but does the 18 refer to a short fret board maybe? Or have some other significance. Like they don't name models randomly usually.

Like DG CE
    dreadnaught cutaway electric etc.

look on the page to see what the numbers mean. generally the lower the second number the less ornate the instrument.

first letter or number refers to body size.
    that thing isn't a dreadnaught.
    exhausted wrote:
    that thing isn't a dreadnaught.

I think it is. It's too big to be a 00 or 000
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think it is.

them's bettin' words.
    exhausted wrote:
    them's bettin' words.

check the pick at given to wail.

What say you? It depends on the sides I guess. It looks to deep to me to be a 00 or 000, perhaps it is an 0-18. The 18 styling is not in question.
    the numbers do refer to "rank" of the instrument... and often times the quality or cost of materials put into it.

The 0 would be an orchestra model. I agree, that Ed's Martin is not a dreadnaught... and it isn't the typical spruce top with different side and back... it looks to be an all mahogany (similar to the current production 15 series Martin (D-15, 00-15, 000-15, etc.)

To compare the numbers:

a D-18 has mahogany back and sides, spruce top, black binding and simple appointments (not sure on fingerboard wood)

D-28 has rosewood back and sides (two piece back), spruce top, white binding, ebony board, and simple appointments

D-35 has rosewood back and sides (three piece back which is more labor intensive), white binding (inc. neck binding not found on lower models), spruce top, more detailed appointments

D-41 has rosewood back and sides, binding all over, inlays, and a huge price tag.

00 models have a smaller body shape, 000 models are smaller still.

Play lots of acoustics, find a good one, play it every day.
    There's No Code.
    upon further review, it seems that the 0-18 models should have had a spruce top... perhaps it was stained to look that way, or he has a one off of some kind...

it does sounds like a good old Martin... you can tell that for sure... mellow and rich.
    There's No Code.
    the pic is not definitive enough to determine for sure. for example, an 0-15 and a D-15 are extremely simliar in appearance. neither look like a true dreadnaught.

and since this thing is pretty much pre-war, i don't think the spruce top specs would have applied necessarily. i'm sure lots has changed.
  • k guys, they say it is a 000 18 I believe.
    exhausted wrote:
    and since this thing is pretty much pre-war, i don't think the spruce top specs would have applied necessarily. i'm sure lots has changed.

I researched through gbase.com and compared the 0-18s listed from 1908 to the 1960s... they all have spruce tops, mahogany backs(except one with BR), and varying fret/neck configurations that change through the years.
    There's No Code.
    ok, I'm wrong, as usual. It's probably an orchestra model 0. I still think it is mahogany.
    House53 wrote:
    I researched through gbase.com and compared the 0-18s listed from 1908 to the 1960s... they all have spruce tops, mahogany backs(except one with BR), and varying fret/neck configurations that change through the years.

hmmm. perhaps everyone is wrong about it being an 18 then.

anyway. because that, a full mahogany acoustic would be nice and mellow. i like that idea.

i'm trying to decide on a new acoustic and looking for something to complement what i've got now.

they're affordable too.
    http://www.folkwaymusic.com/instruments/repairgallery.html

scroll down to the 1943 solid mahogany 0 - 17
    fuck it. i'm ordering in a 00-15HGL. just so i can see what it's like.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.folkwaymusic.com/instruments/repairgallery.html

scroll down to the 1943 solid mahogany 0 - 17

that's gotta be it.
    exhausted wrote:
    that's gotta be it.

precisely what I thought. Ed has the binding making it an 18. Interesting tidbit about the Ebony T-Bar, I wonder if his is like that too. Should be very light and resonant.
    done. ordered a 000-15L. my guy's going to look into a gloss finish as well over the stock satin.

i love the fact that i can order stuff without being obligated to buy.
    exhausted wrote:
    done. ordered a 000-15L. my guy's going to look into a gloss finish as well over the stock satin.

i love the fact that i can order stuff without being obligated to buy.

sweet. I want to see what it looks like.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    sweet. I want to see what it looks like.

http://southpawguitars.com/0015hg.jpg

but it's 250US for the high gloss so i nixed that.

anyway, it'll be here in may or june. i love martin for the fact they don't charge more for lefties.

i was going to order a taylor 314 but decided it would sound too much like my morgan.
  • As a huge fan of Martin Auditorium-body acoustics, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Ed's Martin is an all-mahogany 0-body (auditorium body) guitar. Martin's 0, 00, 000, and 0000 models are all auditorium body guitars. They vary in level of refinement and features, and are slightly different in size (0000, for instance, is a grand auditorium). The model number is more indicative of the size and shape and level of finish, than wood selection. Martin hasn't made anywhere near as many mahogany guitars as spruce-top, but they are out there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • It seems these aged acoustics are hot items judging by that site. There was an 1970s epiphone dreadnaught at my local music stor for 1500.

I hear these old guitars sound incredible because they have been "worked in"

I really like the look of the mahogany acoustic. I think i would consider one (in 10 years) if they sound as nice as they look. Although my fender is awesome it is also pretty bright sounding (which I love alot of the time), it would be cool to have a mellow acoustic if I were that rich.