Steve Vai: Biggest dick alive

2»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Could you sing one of his solos note for note? I can kind of sing a John Coltrane sax solo. He was faster than Vai and more harmonically sophisticated, so why doesn't Vai's stuff register? Answer? Because it doesn't really say much, perhaps?
    Cotrane was faster than vai? On a sax? how the hell does one play 20 notes a second on the sax (check out Vai's "The Riddle") I think the hating on Vai is harsh - He IS harmonically gifted as well as technically although I agree, he dresses like a tit. Anyone seen the poster on the sleeve for passion and warfare? what the hell is he wearing??!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Cotrane was faster than vai? On a sax? how the hell does one play 20 notes a second on the sax

Check out Coltrane - particularly his later work, and find out.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I like is stuff, and I think Malmsteens a bigger dick.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • John Holmes.. biggest dick Dead!
    MSG 9/11/98, Jones Beach 8/24/2000, Saratoga 8/30/2000, Albany 4/29/03, Boston 7/2/03, Philly 7/5/03, MSG 7/9/03, Boston 9/29/04, Montreal 9/15/05, Albany 5/12/06, Hartford 5/13/06, Boston 5/24/06, Boston 5/25/06, Hartford 6/27/08, Boston 6/30/08, EV Boston 8/2/08
  • There's a relevant bit in a book called "Fargo Rock City". It's about the cultural importance of 80's hair metal, authored by a guy called Chuck Klosterman. He includes a chapter about Guitar Gods like Yngwie and Steve. He's more harsh towards Yngwie. He then points out the ridiculously inflated sense of self-importance that seems to ooze out of Vai's every pore. Vai actually goes so far as to refer to himself as a "guitar god" in an interview with some guitar magazine. Statements like that, when combined with the stage outfits and the unintentionally hilarious album covers, tend to make the case that Steve Vai is either an egotistical asshole or that he's seriously deluded, like Robin Williams in The Fisher King.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    Check out Coltrane - particularly his later work, and find out.
    Its coltrane on Kind of Blue by miles davis right? Thats about my only exposure to his work but I'll check him out. Anyway, on the subject of Vai, the guitar trio of John Mclaughlin, Al di Meola and Paco de Lucia blow him away. Friday night in san fran is stunning and Mclaughlin's playing on "The inner mounting flame" with the mahavishnu orchestra is stunning.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    I have never met him, so I can't judge whether he is a dick or not, but I do like his music!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Its coltrane on Kind of Blue by miles davis right? Thats about my only exposure to his work but I'll check him out. Anyway, on the subject of Vai, the guitar trio of John Mclaughlin, Al di Meola and Paco de Lucia blow him away. Friday night in san fran is stunning and Mclaughlin's playing on "The inner mounting flame" with the mahavishnu orchestra is stunning.

Check out his later work, such as "Ascension", "Kulu Se Mama" and "Intellstellar Space". That's where he really does some serious playing.
    Check out his later work, such as "Ascension", "Kulu Se Mama" and "Intellstellar Space". That's where he really does some serious playing.
    ok will do man. thanks for the recommendations. So what other jazz are you into? are you a fan of fusion?
    SOME of Vais stuff has feel (For The Love Of God) and some is just shredding.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • bump cuz i love the title of this thread so much.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • steve vai plays on stage with a fan blowing his hair back for him. enough said.

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    K I am sure some of you love this guy, he can play hella fast.

But,
    He dresses like well, like I don't know. Platform shoes and giant fur coats with oakleys, classy real classy.
    He constantly implies how amazing he is with out saying it outright. His guitar is ugly, but so practical with that cool handgrip.
    Tight leather pants are pretty cool.

Man I can see this guy hating Mike McCready

he discovered the greatest musician on the planet... fuck off
    (im talking ofcourse of Devin Townsend)

plus if you didnt realise he ACCTUALLY is amazing at guitar.

And his guitar is an absolut creamfest
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • steve vai plays on stage with a fan blowing his hair back for him. enough said.

Harrison

Haha yepp!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    steve vai plays on stage with a fan blowing his hair back for him. enough said.

Harrison

Ya, thats kinda gay.
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    I've gotta get my two cents in here.

In high school I was SUPER into Vai/Satriani/etc.. LOVED em. Still do, just not to the extent I did then.

Anyway, They did the first G3 tour with Eric Johnson and I was in heaven.

Te next year it was with Kenny Wayne Shepherd and it got cancelled..The Ticketmaster dude told me it was because they werent going to make enough $$ on the tour. I was a pissed off 16 year old...I wrote a seething letter to Satriani AND Vai told em they sucked for being money grubbing idiots.

About 2 weeks later my phone rings.

"Hi is this Neil?"

"yes."

"Hi Neil, this is Steve Vai."

"no way."

"Yeah, I got your letter and I wanted to call you and let you know that we postponed the tour because Kenny Wayne is in the studio finishing his album. Hope we still see you at the show!"

yeah i felt dumb.

So when the tour came around...i got backstage for being in the Kenny Wayne fan club and met Vai/Satriani/KWS...all were INCREDIBLY cool. Satriani is like...the most normal dude EVER. Vai is totally down to earth and willing to talk music for ever. He rememberd my letter:)

so yeah, the clothing and all that stuff is just part of the entertainment factor...thats what he does...he came from the Zappa weirdness...to the Whitesnake excess...and combined it all with his incredible skills...the dude puts on an amazing show. fans blowing his hair and all:)

Malmsteen IS a prick.
  • lol, like someone else said earlier, this is a pretty funny thread title..
    7/10/06
  • okay i'd love to call bullshit on that story but you said it with such confidence...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"