BJF Pedals -- comparisons

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok. JofZ is a thread whore, so i had to start a new thread to get an answer.
;)

thus, if you have any questions about BJF Pedals, in general, ask them here, if you want.

Mine is regarding the differences\similarities between the EGDM and the BBOD ... i am also half curious about the Honey Bee ... (haha, i'm funny)
For reference on my amps starting point, i have one early Egnater amp with 2 channels an early fender channel and an early marshall plexi channel ...

i will soon have that damn FabFox which for all intents and purposes is essentially a little Superlead 100 head ... read: high gain!

and i have a TS9 already. Looking for warm round, harmonicaly rich, lovey dove cream scream tones ...

???
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.tonesafari.com/bjferef/

this is a good place to start. DonneR's site.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Ok. JofZ is a thread whore, so i had to start a new thread to get an answer.
    ;)

thus, if you have any questions about BJF Pedals, in general, ask them here, if you want.

Mine is regarding the differences\similarities between the EGDM and the BBOD ... i am also half curious about the Honey Bee ... (haha, i'm funny)
    For reference on my amps starting point, i have one early Egnater amp with 2 channels an early fender channel and an early marshall plexi channel ...

i will soon have that damn FabFox which for all intents and purposes is essentially a little Superlead 100 head ... read: high gain!

and i have a TS9 already. Looking for warm round, harmonicaly rich, lovey dove cream scream tones ...

???

Me a thread whore? :)

BJ's pedals are unique in that the name and color can be associated with the general tone of the pedal.
    The Blue OD is based on Fender amps
    The Green's are based on British amps
    The Red's are based on British (marshall amps)
    These are not written in stone, but are true to some degree.

The Honey Bee is based on the old Supro amp. Thus it gives you a small amp OD tone, many use it to stack with other OD's and it just smooths everything out. It is a sweatener as well!

The BBOD is versitle and is being discontinued, if you play blues/rock and have a fender style amp then you'll dig it.

If you want to turn your "fill in the blank" amp into something else tonewise then you can add the flavor of your choice.

The EGDM is based on the Vox style amp. It is the wall of nails tone and it is a very useful box.

I'll post more later, gotta run to a conference call.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Well i ordered them both at the same time.

Was told that the BBOD was practicaly gone,
    was then told that Bjorn could get one more for me ...

was then told by Teddy that i just needed to wait for them to come in stock.

Two weeks ago my SYT came ... what a shock! ... and it is AWESOME!

Unfortunately, still no word on the BBOD ! :(

how much longer should i hold out hope?

Who should i call? #?

Doh.
    :(

twas to be my be-all-end-all distortion, stacked with my AM moded TS9ri.
    Well i ordered them both at the same time.

Was told that the BBOD was practicaly gone,
    was then told that Bjorn could get one more for me ...

was then told by Teddy that i just needed to wait for them to come in stock.

Two weeks ago my SYT came ... what a shock! ... and it is AWESOME!

Unfortunately, still no word on the BBOD ! :(

how much longer should i hold out hope?

Who should i call? #?

Doh.

twas to be my be-all-end-all distortion, stacked with my AM moded TS9ri.

BBOD's are no longer made. They were discontinued some time ago. Sorry.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    BBOD's are no longer made. They were discontinued some time ago. Sorry.

Send me a PM and I can get you one!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:

unless you have a JofZ ha ha. :D

I need a new Gulfstream G4 for $200 any luck?
  • JofZ wrote:

pm sent, homeshizzle.

i know we've been down this road before,
    so if you want to see some of the Emails i have had going back and forth with Dean or Teddy,let me know.
    :D

i don't want to piss anyone off,
    i'm just not sure anyone of us are speaking hte same language.
    When three people all tell you they can get it done,
    and then you are still sitting with nothing, you just wonder if someone got their wires crossed.

THANKS!
    pm sent, homeshizzle.

i know we've been down this road before,
    so if you want to see some of the Emails i have had going back and forth with Dean or Teddy,let me know.

i don't want to piss anyone off,
    i'm just not sure anyone of us are speaking hte same language.
    When three people all tell you they can get it done,
    and then you are still sitting with nothing, you just wonder if someone got their wires crossed.

THANKS!
    Teddy runs a very busy store. I dont think he intends to mislead people. But, he usually doesnt update his inventory. If a pedal is hot it causes him problems. Then he asks the builders to pump them out which they cant ever do, so it is a circle of death LOL.

I am going to respond to your PM.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• do you guys find that the BJF overdrive/distortion pedals run well over a clean amp?

for example i have maybe 1 or 2 settings on both my Fulltone OCD and Boss BD-2 that i think are pretty decent when they are run through the clean channel....but its amazing when they are run over my overdriven amp
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • do you guys find that the BJF overdrive/distortion pedals run well over a clean amp?

for example i have maybe 1 or 2 settings on both my Fulltone OCD and Boss BD-2 that i think are pretty decent when they are run through the clean channel....but its amazing when they are run over my overdriven amp

the bbod is supposed to be for people playing out of fenders, so i'd say that's probably a yes ... and also a "depends on WHICH pedal" ...

also ... if you're using a solid state amp ... that could be the issue.

most "real" pedals suck ass on SS amps. :(

but JoZ will give you the definitive answer, shortly.
    or maybe Paco...

i heard that 68strat got banned (said so over on RM) that sucks, wtf?
  • yeah i know my old SS marshall amp was horrible thankgod i got a real amp :)

well im really interested in the Baby Blue and Pink Purple Fuzz
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore

most "real" pedals suck ass on SS amps. :(

What do you mean by "real"?

I'm really excited to hear my pedals on my tube amp when I finally get it :)

And I think they sound good now.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • What do you mean by "real"?

I'm really excited to hear my pedals on my tube amp when I finally get it :)

And I think they sound good now.

i dunno ... usualy something that doesn't say "boss" or "digitech" on it ...

just a thought.
  • JofZ wrote:
    I am going to respond to your PM.

letter never received?

busy JofZ forgot about me?

doh.

BBOD, where can you be?
    letter never received?

busy JofZ forgot about me?

doh.

BBOD, where can you be?

I didn't get a PM, but I already got the ball rolling for you :)

To address the earlier question, a SS amp will never produce the intented tone from the said pedal you are plugged into if it was created for a tube amp. Most of the OD boxes that are created these days are just designed to clip the front end. There are some good pedals out there for SS amps, but to be honest, I don't know that I would drop the coin on pedals trying to make a SS amps sound like a tube amp. It would be money better spent, selling the SS amp and investing the pedal cash into a great foundation Tube amp.
    That being said, I run all my pedals into a clean amp simply because I can't crank my amp. To accomadate the pedals desire to be run into a cranked amp, I will stack pedals and use a boost pedal. There is no right, or wrong just go with what sounds best. Some pedals sound better through a cranked amp, these are your fuzz boxes and muffs. Others I prefer into a clean.
    The BJF colors can be looked at as booth a paint brush approach and a coding system. Blues are American, Reds and Greens and British. Mix them and you can figure out what you should end up with. It also helps to have some history of Bjorns ideas under your belt. Knowing the bbod and bpb for example were made to go together will help get some good tones out of them.
    Most important, just have fun as Bj would say. It is all about playing and if you followed rules you would never find anything new ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Oh if more people knew about pedal stacking how happy sound people would be.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Oh if more people knew about pedal stacking how happy sound people would be.

how do they NOT know, that's the real question.

i mean ... what are you gonna do when you get more than one of an od\dist pedal ...

tell me there aren't people out there who A\B box that shit and just switch from one chain to the next ...

mmm mmm, uh uh, no way ...

let me step on that boost ... smash my TS and then (GODWILLING!) lay on up in to that BBOD ...

all though, i must say one of the most uninspiring stacks i've come across is my TS9 into the russian Big muff ...
    there is SOME difference ... but ... ah, well ... what did i expect, it's a farging Big Muff for christs sake.

i think i need to get me a better boost too ...

anyone know if picking up FM\AM frequencies is a common problem with boosts as a whole ... or you think it's just mine?
    see "Tonemaster" at bottom of page:
    http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/pix.html

i loved if for use with my P90 SG ... but i can't STAND the nearly constant FM bleed ... it's a rare day in hell when i don't pick up SOME signal.

is it back to Bjorn for me?

lol.

edit:
    oh, BTW JofZ ... THANK YOU.
    do i need to do any talking to Teddy or anything? (ie. cancel the order)
    or is it still coming throuh him.

god how i love you people!
    how do they NOT know, that's the real question.

i mean ... what are you gonna do when you get more than one of an od\dist pedal ...

tell me there aren't people out there who A\B box that shit and just switch from one chain to the next ...

mmm mmm, uh uh, no way ...

let me step on that boost ... smash my TS and then (GODWILLING!) lay on up in to that BBOD ...

all though, i must say one of the most uninspiring stacks i've come across is my TS9 into the russian Big muff ...
    there is SOME difference ... but ... ah, well ... what did i expect, it's a farging Big Muff for christs sake.

i think i need to get me a better boost too ...

anyone know if picking up FM\AM frequencies is a common problem with boosts as a whole ... or you think it's just mine?
    see "Tonemaster" at bottom of page:
    http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/pix.html

i loved if for use with my P90 SG ... but i can't STAND the nearly constant FM bleed ... it's a rare day in hell when i don't pick up SOME signal.

is it back to Bjorn for me?

lol.

edit:
    oh, BTW JofZ ... THANK YOU.
    do i need to do any talking to Teddy or anything? (ie. cancel the order)
    or is it still coming throuh him.

god how i love you people!

You can email Teddy and cancel it :)

The one pedal that you will never get good tone out of unless it is going into a cranked amp is a Muff.
    The radio freq you are hearing is common :) It is based on the tranny the builder used.
    Pedal stacking is were all the fun is if you ask me :)
    A good boost is worth more to me then all the OD's out there. I love natural break up and most OD pedals are not in that realm :(
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    You can email Teddy and cancel it :)

The one pedal that you will never get good tone out of unless it is going into a cranked amp is a Muff.
    The radio freq you are hearing is common :) It is based on the tranny the builder used.
    Pedal stacking is were all the fun is if you ask me :)
    A good boost is worth more to me then all the OD's out there. I love natural break up and most OD pedals are not in that realm :(

Do you realize how much you've learned about all this stuff in oh say a year and a half?

It's pretty amazing really.

I agree with you absolutely on boosts.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Do you realize how much you've learned about all this stuff in oh say a year and a half?

It's pretty amazing really.

I agree with you absolutely on boosts.

It is a never ending quest for tone :)
    I owe all my knowledge to a bunch of guys, you included.

Thanks man!!!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    It is a never ending quest for tone :)
    I owe all my knowledge to a bunch of guys, you included.

Thanks man!!!
    and i've been mooching off you both the whole way!
    ;)

hey J,
    I think it's time for you to make us all cream our pants again with another panoramic pedalboard picture.

man, you tonaly arrogant motherfucker!
    and i've been mooching off you both the whole way!
    ;)

hey J,
    I think it's time for you to make us all cream our pants again with another panoramic pedalboard picture.

man, you tonaly arrogant motherfucker!

I need to take some new pics. I will do it asap. The updated board it a little silly LOL
    I have feelers out there for you on the BBOD. It is going to take me a couple days :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    I need to take some new pics. I will do it asap. The updated board it a little silly LOL
    I have feelers out there for you on the BBOD. It is going to take me a couple days :)
    awesome awesome awesome.
    xoxoxoxoxo!

(but not in that gay way -- think stone. think stone. :) )
    lol.
    awesome awesome awesome.
    xoxoxoxoxo!

(but not in that gay way -- think stone. think stone. :) )
    lol.
    LOL, no problem!
    I should have one by the time ToneFest comes around. As soon as I have it located I will let you know.
    Call Teddy for shits and grins and ask him if he has a confirmed order for them. I know Bj made the last of them a couple days ago and they are all spoken for.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    LOL, no problem!
    I should have one by the time ToneFest comes around. As soon as I have it located I will let you know.
    Call Teddy for shits and grins and ask him if he has a confirmed order for them. I know Bj made the last of them a couple days ago and they are all spoken for.

yeah.
    one was mine, via you, until we SNAFUd ...
    but sounds like you've got your hand in the BJF BLACK MARKET.

you dawg you.

any one heard anything new on the street about NEW low-watt amps?
    i'm talking like 1w and lower?

still weighing options.
    yeah.
    one was mine, via you, until we SNAFUd ...
    but sounds like you've got your hand in the BJF BLACK MARKET.

you dawg you.

any one heard anything new on the street about NEW low-watt amps?
    i'm talking like 1w and lower?

still weighing options.

Beg Bjorn incessantly to build you a powerscaling low watt mad prof :D
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Beg Bjorn incessantly to build you a powerscaling low watt mad prof :D

i don't have $14,000

doesn't he sell those for MAD MONEY?

i don't have $14,000

doesn't he sell those for MAD MONEY?

If you guys want the coolest amp ever, check out Bumbox Lead 1. The tone is silly!
    http://www.sombrabella.com/bumbox/
    It is coming home with me from ToneFest, just great bedroom tone.

I am also very found of the new Swart's, but I think the smallest one is 2 1/2 watts.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    If you guys want the coolest amp ever, check out Bumbox Lead 1. The tone is silly!
    http://www.sombrabella.com/bumbox/
    It is coming home with me from ToneFest, just great bedroom tone.

I am also very found of the new Swart's, but I think the smallest one is 2 1/2 watts.

Nice, cool effects too. I also like the Swarts. I finally am unloading stuff though. 400 bucks is perfect.

Unfortunately I'm going to be flying to Philly and then overland to beautiful scenic Fleetwood PA the weekend of the tonefest. I can't get out of it. Believe it or not, yup, it involves a female.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Nice, cool effects too. I also like the Swarts. I finally am unloading stuff though. 400 bucks is perfect.

Unfortunately I'm going to be flying to Philly and then overland to beautiful scenic Fleetwood PA the weekend of the tonefest. I can't get out of it. Believe it or not, yup, it involves a female.

We are going to do them every 6 months, so you'll get in on the next one. We have lots of cool stuff planned, even ToneFest Japan :)

The Bumbox is the shit, get one now before you have to wait 2 years-trust me!
    I think the price is beyond great, the looks are amazing and the sound, well the clips are just the tip of the iceberg. We are giving one away at ToneFest!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?