guitar players : what is your opinion of "guitar hero"

2»

Comments

• pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I think it's fun as hell! I even put on my harmonica holder and played guitar hero and harmonica at the same time...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Let me just ask you a couple honest questions. How many hours a week do you spend playing that game? Do you go to bed way beyond a reasonable hour because you are playing said game? I'd be willing to bet you're more than a little bit alarmed deep down at what your answer to these questions are.
    oh wait. you're serious. let me laugh even harder.

firstly, it's none of your business if i go to bed way beyond a 'reasonable hour' because i am playing a game, but i'll play along.
    no, i'm not alarmed deep down (to use your words) at what my answers to the questions are.
    i like playing video games. a very small amount of my time is spent on these. i get to play probably twice a month if i am lucky, but when i play i fucking love it. i also work 12 hour shifts as a paramedic, that's very full on and demanding, and more than often i have to work my days off and extended overtime. so, quite often i don't get to bed at a reasonable hour because i am working my fucking ass off. but i'm not complaining.

i take much offence when people like you 'assume' you know things about people by reading one post on a message board. whatever spare time i have, is spent with my boyfriend and playing guitar. sometimes our friends come over and we might play video games. gosh.
    Hey have fun, but remember when it comes time for your dirt nap that you won't be getting that time back.
    two words. fuck you.
  • Let me just ask you a couple honest questions. How many hours a week do you spend playing that game? Do you go to bed way beyond a reasonable hour because you are playing said game? I'd be willing to bet you're more than a little bit alarmed deep down at what your answer to these questions are. Hey have fun, but remember when it comes time for your dirt nap that you won't be getting that time back.

Buddy, you're what they call on the internet, a "Troll". Are you actually criticizing this girl's lifestyle? She said she enjoys the game, that's it, and you make the assumption that she plays it all the time? Just shut the fuck up.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Rock on Pj_gurl!
    First of all, thank you for being a paramedic. You show up and save lives. How many people do that in this world! Great stuff. I have tremendous respect for paramedics. Twice I've been laying there on the ground looking up at one of you and let me tell you, it's a welcome sight to see! :)

What would have been worse for Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page,,, video games or the heroin and booze and cocaine that nearly took out Page, and the sedatives that DID take out Jimi? Jimi had the passion to play guitar right up until the end, and I bet that if he had the choice between using his gift to electrify the world with his music, or play a video game, he would have chosen the music, although I can't say I'm speaking for him. :)

What I WAS going to say was that today, I was in CompUSA and I heard Evenflow blasting. I walked over and this young kid was playing guitar hero with it. There was another guitar thingy and I picked it up and we had a contest. Haha,, a little crowd drew around, him and I and the others were laughing like all hell, and I got my ass kicked aGAIN at Guitar Hero! :D
    It was 4 minutes of life I'll never get back, but it was a damn fun 4 minutes that I'm glad I had!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • I love it. The single player mode does kinda get old after a while. But the Co-Op career mode, and the Battle mode are loads of fun with friends around. This newest edition has some great tunes on it too, best one yet. Battle Mode is the best!!!
    "It's all happening"
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    Let me just ask you a couple honest questions. How many hours a week do you spend playing that game? Do you go to bed way beyond a reasonable hour because you are playing said game? I'd be willing to bet you're more than a little bit alarmed deep down at what your answer to these questions are. Hey have fun, but remember when it comes time for your dirt nap that you won't be getting that time back.

this is just fucking stupid on all counts. video games are a hobby, just like playing guitar, watching tv, jogging, etc. are. are you against all hobbies?
  • Yeah PJ_Gurl

I was pronounced dead on the scene of an accident in 2006 and the paramedics brought me back to life. I never got to thank them so I'm thanking you for being a paramedic and saving lives. As for boxwine_in_hell...c'mon dude...chill out. It's a freakin' game! How can question someone's sleep pattern or even talk about dirt naps? Chill out, man. That's not just wrong on so many levels, it's downright hurtful.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Video game dorks are so sensitive. Sorry people just having some fun with you and trying to get you out of the house a bit. I think I'll go create a SIMS serial killer.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,292
    Did anybody watch South Park tonight? It had a guitar hero storyline. Priceless...
  • Did anybody watch South Park tonight? It had a guitar hero storyline. Priceless...

Yeah I hope none of you Guitar Hero Retards are Southpark fans because Trey and Matt just killed you tonight. That was priceless jimmy.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yeah I hope none of you Guitar Hero Retards are Southpark fans because Trey and Matt just killed you tonight. That was priceless jimmy.

Why were you sitting on your ass watching television? Why couldn't you do something productive? You know that's half an hour of your life you'll never get back...
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Why were you sitting on your ass watching television? Why couldn't you do something productive? You know that's half an hour of your life you'll never get back...

Hahaha Amen. Why is this guy still talking? Usually when you realize everyone is against you, it's cause YOU'RE the asshole... not the rest of us.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • katewkatew Posts: 15
    guitar hero, man thats rubbish compared to the real rockin gibson guitars id say get the real thing not a plastic game
  • Guitar Hero is great I think. I've played it a handful of times and it's cool. I've been considering getting III (has a great selection of songs). And if anyone thinks no good can come out of this game, refer to Ian's posts. Two people picked up guitars because of the game, imagine that!

I play bass and that's a lot funner, plus I can create instead of duplicate. However, the game has it's perks: easy to grasp, so you and your friends can play with ease and not have to know how to use an instrument; and it can expand one's musical tastes (like spreading Even Flow and PJ to all the kiddies! :)).
    Yeah PJ_Gurl
    I was pronounced dead on the scene of an accident in 2006 and the paramedics brought me back to life. I never got to thank them so I'm thanking you for being a paramedic and saving lives.
    if anyone has observed our work practices at accident scenes,when we are dealing with critically ill patients, i guess it would seem that we are very much detached from the situation and doing what we do in a structured manner, but i can tell you it's really not like that at all. for me it's heartbreaking when we lose someone, it happens too much and too often. stories like yours just make the job that much more rewarding. the worst night can turn into a much better night when we are able to at least partly contribute to helping people survive.

i hope you are all recovered and well now.
    Rock on Pj_gurl!
    First of all, thank you for being a paramedic. You show up and save lives. How many people do that in this world! Great stuff. I have tremendous respect for paramedics. Twice I've been laying there on the ground looking up at one of you and let me tell you, it's a welcome sight to see! :)
    thanks for your kind words. it's a great career for anyone that is interested in that line of work. the camaraderie that you have with your workmates is very special too.
  • it gets boring after a while. its all right but i prefer playing a real guitar. i dont really understand the hype of it though.
    Adge
    12.9.06= Rockin In The Free World
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    but what if you put 2 televisions & 2 game consoles nearby and played guitar hero while playin dance dance revolution

i love all the opinions in this thread,
    thank you
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • south park was pretty funny last night, especially after having already read through this thread.

personally, i haven't played guitar hero all that much. i'd rather spend my time improving my skills on the real thing. but that's just me. if you like playing the game, go for it. video games are just about having fun anyway.

in a perfect world, more people would be interested in learning the actual instrument. then maybe mainstream music wouldn't be so damn awful. but the reality of the situation is that not everyone wants to learn how to play guitar. so be it. more gigs for me...

as for video games, i'll stick to playing madden. the football-playing phase of my life has been over for quite some time now. let's just say that i wasn't quite NFL-caliber and leave it at that. :o but with madden, i get to pretend otherwise. :)

although i really wish they'd bring back MVP baseball. all the new baseball games are crap. :mad:
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    danny72688 wrote:
    And if anyone thinks no good can come out of this game, refer to Ian's posts. Two people picked up guitars because of the game, imagine that!
    Unfortunately one guy quite almost as soon as he began because playing a real guitar it NOTHING like Guitar Hero (and he thought it would be).
    The other guy lost $500 on a bet because he though playing a real guitar would be just like guitar hero.
    He took his last lesson today because of it - Playing a real guitar just didn't turn out to be as easy as he thought the game depicted.
    His exact words were "man, this was nothing like Guitar Hero - why'd they make the game like that - I wish I could sue them for mis-representation."
    I just tried to play it off and said maybe he should have done a little research before he made the bet - playing guitar well takes years of practice..
    It just goes to show that some people think the game represents the real thing - Those of you here on the PJMP that play the game already
    know what it takes to play guitar – unfortunately many people that play the game but have never played guitar seem to think it’s analogous.
    There goes two more non-guitar playing people in this world, because in their eyes a game mislead them.
    I really love the guitar, and I want everyone to have a positive experience with it - things like this just make me sad.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Unfortunately one guy quite almost as soon as he began because playing a real guitar it NOTHING like Guitar Hero (and he thought it would be).
    The other guy lost $500 on a bet because he though playing a real guitar would be just like guitar hero.
    He took his last lesson today because of it - Playing a real guitar just didn't turn out to be as easy as he thought the game depicted.
    His exact words were "man, this was nothing like Guitar Hero - why'd they make the game like that - I wish I could sue them for mis-representation."
    I just tried to play it off and said maybe he should have done a little research before he made the bet - playing guitar well takes years of practice..
    It just goes to show that some people think the game represents the real thing - Those of you here on the PJMP that play the game already
    know what it takes to play guitar – unfortunately many people that play the game but have never played guitar seem to think it’s analogous.
    There goes two more non-guitar playing people in this world, because in their eyes a game mislead them.
    I really love the guitar, and I want everyone to have a positive experience with it - things like this just make me sad.

- Ian
    Well that's lame that they quit. But at least they were motivated to try (not for great reasons but still), even if they abondoned it quickly. I'm sure there's more that picked up an instrument because of the game and that's enough for me to want it to stick around. We need more people creating music these days.

Misrepresentation..... LOL! Any idiot can tell right away. No strings, no tuning, no upkeep (just to name a few obvious visual things). All it really teaches you is fretting, sort of......not really.

And what about fingerpickers like me?! I have to strum in GH and I hate strumming :p
  • have any of you seen the newest South Park episode.....its all about Guitar Hero. Stan's dad hears them playing Kansas "Carry on my Wayward Son" on Guitar Hero, so he gets out his real guitar and plays it, and the kids look at him like he's an idiot! It's classic!
    "It's all happening"
  • Neil Young can outplay most guitar players in three notes just because of the way he plays them.

*bows*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"