guitar players : what is your opinion of "guitar hero"

Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
me'self i think it's kind of lame, i almost instantly want to scream at kids to go out and buy a cheap 30 dollar acoustic instead, on the flipside i've never tried it, but seen the set-up, looks kind of fischer price-ish

am i alone?
"ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lost_Clay wrote:
    me'self i think it's kind of lame, i almost instantly want to scream at kids to go out and buy a cheap 30 dollar acoustic instead, on the flipside i've never tried it, but seen the set-up, looks kind of fischer price-ish

am i alone?
    Meh, it's a blast to play.

I'm terrible at it, but I was rockin' 'Bulls On Parade' pretty hard on the weekend haha.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • 1. They freakin' stole my name.
    2. I always end up picking up my guitar when everyone else is playing
    3. #2 annoys everyone else
    4. #3 annoys me
    5. I don't like Guitar Hero
    6. I like me.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    idk, all of my friends talk about it and it gets kinda annoying. but then again i hate all videogames and get annoyed when they talk about any kind of things you could actually do in real life with practice anyway
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Most guitar players have a very elitist viewpoint towards the Guitar Hero games. It's a shame too. The Guitar Hero games are just that... GAMES. It's like saying racing games are lame because you're not out on the street racing a real car. It's just meant to be fun. And it sure as hell is fun.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I'm a guitarist and I love Guitar Hero. I don't get why a lot of other guitar players don't like it.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I play guitar and I like Guitar Hero.

Granted I suck at Guitar Hero and am actually much better at the real thing...
    Weird!
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    it's cool for like 20 minutes but then just makes me want to play reall guitar..or bass in my case
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Pile of wank. Peter Green is probably the second greatest guitar player of all time, and he only plays one note every ten years. But that note means something.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    it's cool for like 20 minutes but then just makes me want to play reall guitar..or bass in my case

Yeah, it does get old quick!
    After a few songs I get bored with it and in fact I only ever "want" to play it when I'm around a bunch of people and I'm good and drunk.
  • I'm not into video games so I can't say I really like or dislike it. All my friends enjoy playing and it gets boring to watch, though.

I do, however, hate it when people take pride in being remotely proficient at that thing -- you should actually work for bragging rights, playing freebird on expert is not an accomplishment.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i feel like i have just entered the scary door....

it's a game. no different to a racing game, a shooting game or any sort of game. some people like games, some people don't. personally, i love it, much fun can be had with your friends playing it. if i wanna play my guitar i do it. if i wanna play guitar hero, i do it. the two are not intertwined for me.
  • Well, I've been playing guitar for what, more than 40 years? I don't have the game but my ten year old neighbor has guitar hero and whooped my ass! :D
    It was fun for a bit and good for some laughs, but it wore off for me pretty quick.
    It IS funny how some purists say, oh, well, it's not like the real thing! Neither is the game Asteroids! That was my favorite. Haha,,, I don't know anybody that really ever went to space in a little triangle and shot real asteroids. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    3. #2 annoys everyone else
    4. #3 annoys me
    5. I don't like Guitar Hero
    6. I like me.
    I agree with you...it's freakin' annoying. The few times I play, I end up wanting to play the ACTUAL song and instead of pressing buttons, I slide up the plastic fretboard.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    DOSW wrote:
    Most guitar players have a very elitist viewpoint towards the Guitar Hero games. It's a shame too. The Guitar Hero games are just that... GAMES. It's like saying racing games are lame because you're not out on the street racing a real car. It's just meant to be fun. And it sure as hell is fun.
    Absolutely, the elitist anti guitar hero attitude stinks. As you said it's a game, it has five coloured buttons and a strum bar, it's a game not the real thing nor is it trying to be.

It's a hell of a lot of fun but it can be frustrating when you are struggling on a section especially when you can actually play it on guitar. :)

Don't get upset about the game, it's silly to, just enjoy the game it's loads of fun. If you don't like it then fine but don't be snobby about it. Unless of course you extend your view to every other genre of games :)
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    yeh fun. gh is option 1 after christmas dinner is all over. option 2 is have a nap. I normally go for option 2.
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    does it matter if your not a guitar player ?

im not a guitar player. sorry bout that.

*snorts*
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Pearler wrote:
    yeh fun. gh is option 1 after christmas dinner is all over. option 2 is have a nap. I normally go for option 2.
    After Christmas dinner option 2 is the only option :)
  • Hebejebe wrote:
    After Christmas dinner option 2 is the only option :)
    +1
  • Lost_Clay wrote:
    i almost instantly want to scream at kids to go out and buy a cheap 30 dollar acoustic instead

That shows you missed the point of it. People don't buy guitar hero because they think real guitars are too hard to play, or because they actually want to play a real guitar. It's a game that doesnt represent any real ability that relates to guitar (although independence of fingers helps). Anyone with a decent sense of rythm and hand eye coordination can do it. It's like "Dance Dance Revolution" with your hands. Go to an arcade and you'll see a bunch of 15 year old white and asian kids playing DDR, not Britney's backup dancers.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I enjoy the hell out of the game.
  • That shows you missed the point of it. People don't buy guitar hero because they think real guitars are too hard to play, or because they actually want to play a real guitar. It's a game that doesnt represent any real ability that relates to guitar (although independence of fingers helps). Anyone with a decent sense of rythm and hand eye coordination can do it. It's like "Dance Dance Revolution" with your hands. Go to an arcade and you'll see a bunch of 15 year old white and asian kids playing DDR, not Britney's backup dancers.
    I almost had a heart attack when playing DDR. Very true though. If you KNOW how to play, it's somewhat more challenging though, in my opinion. However, it's a neat little game if you're into that whole scene. There's a Drum game just like guitar hero and DDR at our local arcade. Pretty much the same idea except with sticks.
  • Lost_Clay wrote:

am i alone?

I totally agree with you. If these losers spent half as many hours on a real guitar as they do that ridiculous game, they'd be very good guitar players. Just think if Hendrix or Page had video games? We might be praising Pat Boone as a musical pioneer. Think about it.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Guitar Hero seems to make people that don't play guitar think it's easy to play guitar (until they actually sit down on the real thing and try to play).
    I've recently had a couple people come to me for lessons (after playing Guitar Hero and loving it), only to find out that it’s a completely different animal.
    One guy took a couple lessons and then decided that the guitar was just tooo difficult compared to the game (as he put it, "man it's not the same animal").
    Another guy came to me after making a $500 bet with his friends that he could play Ozzie Osbournes "Bark at the Moon" (solo included) within 2-weeks
    of lessons - He said that his reasoning was that he could ace it on the game every time "even the solo man" so he figured guitar just wasn't that hard.
    He was really quite mad that the game made it look soo easy (he's still with me, but he's struggling to get his fingers to do what they need to do, and
    he's having a difficult time getting them to move in sync with each other, skipping strings, frets, ect - he's nowhere near even attempting the solo yet).
    Needless to say he lost the $500 and is still nowhere near playing the entire song - I guess pressing a few buttons and flicking strum bar just don't compare
    to the actual 6 individual strings that you have to press on 21-24 frets, and having to actually hold a pick and strike the correct string you're pressing.
    I think Guitar Hero makes a whole bunch of rock wannabees think that it's easy to play guitar, only to find out that it's a lot more work when they actually
    try to play a real guitar - Personally, I've found the car driving games with a clutch, gas, and break to be much more realistic.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    It's just a game.
    It has as much to do with playing guitar as dancing on a dance mat has to do with dancing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously a bit on the slow side (how can someone think playing 6 strings is similar to tapping 1 blocky button?!). I don't see how it offends guitar players... it's just a game. :confused:
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • I totally agree with you. If these losers spent half as many hours on a real guitar as they do that ridiculous game, they'd be very good guitar players. Just think if Hendrix or Page had video games? We might be praising Pat Boone as a musical pioneer. Think about it.

I find this pretty offensive and irrelevant at the same time. Calling these people "losers" because they enjoy a game and don't have the interest in playing an actual instrument? That's more than a little harsh. You honestly think that if Page and Hendrix had Guitar Hero, they wouldn't haved played real guitars??? Page and Hendrix played guitar because they loved MAKING music. Guitar Hero is not making music...

IT'S A GAME. IT'S NOT A WAY FOR LAZY PEOPLE TO BECOME MUSICIANS.

And it takes waaaaaaaaaay more hours to become a good guitar player than it does to become a good Guitar Hero player. I've seen people pick up Guitar Hero in 2 hours. I doubt most of us could play the Wishlist solo after their first 2 hours with the guitar. There is no comparison.

Ian,
    Wow. I cannot believe someone had the balls to make that bet. Too funny.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I totally agree with you. If these losers spent half as many hours on a real guitar as they do that ridiculous game, they'd be very good guitar players. Just think if Hendrix or Page had video games? We might be praising Pat Boone as a musical pioneer. Think about it.
    well, i'm one of the 'losers' that enjoys the GAME (because that what it fucken well is, a GAME).
    Fact. Ive been playing guitar since i was 12. Now i'm 24. I play guitar because it's what i enjoy more than anything. it's my passion.
    Fact. I've played guitar hero probably about 30 times. it's fun to play with your mates. Get it? Fun!

if i had guitar hero when i was 12 and i had a choice of playing guitar hero for hours a day or playing my guitar for hours a day, my guitar would ALWAYS win. no contest. hands down. i play guitar because I LOVE IT. i disagree so much with what you are saying about hendrix and page. they were born to play guitar.
  • I'm amazing at Goldeneye (who remembers that old N64 game?) and I rule all with the arsenal the provide. It's fun. In real life, I'm pretty sure I couldn't hit a tank with a rocket launcher. As much as I dislike guitar hero, I'm pretty sure everyone on this board understands that it's a game. I just can't stand the people who automatically assume that they can shred like Slash just because they mastered the game...
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Ian,
    Wow. I cannot believe someone had the balls to make that bet. Too funny.
    That's what I thought - but it just goes to show what some people think about guitar playing from playing a GAME.
    Got two students because they played a game and thought that it was representative of a how to play a real guitar.
    I guess if you've never played a real guitar and don't know any better the game can be perceived as "COMPARABLE".
    From those two students I can determine that the game tends to lead the "un-experienced guitar rock wannabee"
    to believe that playing the guitar is easy - "I'm really good at the game, so I must be able to play the guitar well".
    In the end I think this is what was meant by all the negative affirmations, and the cheesy appeal of the game.

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    well, i'm one of the 'losers' that enjoys the GAME (because that what it fucken well is, a GAME).
    Fact. Ive been playing guitar since i was 12. Now i'm 24. I play guitar because it's what i enjoy more than anything. it's my passion.
    Fact. I've played guitar hero probably about 30 times. it's fun to play with your mates. Get it? Fun!

if i had guitar hero when i was 12 and i had a choice of playing guitar hero for hours a day or playing my guitar for hours a day, my guitar would ALWAYS win. no contest. hands down. i play guitar because I LOVE IT. i disagree so much with what you are saying about hendrix and page. they were born to play guitar.

Let me just ask you a couple honest questions. How many hours a week do you spend playing that game? Do you go to bed way beyond a reasonable hour because you are playing said game? I'd be willing to bet you're more than a little bit alarmed deep down at what your answer to these questions are. Hey have fun, but remember when it comes time for your dirt nap that you won't be getting that time back.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Let me just ask you a couple honest questions. How many hours a week do you spend playing that game? Do you go to bed way beyond a reasonable hour because you are playing said game? I'd be willing to bet you're more than a little bit alarmed deep down at what your answer to these questions are. Hey have fun, but remember when it comes time for your dirt nap that you won't be getting that time back.

I'm sure all of your hobbies are infinitely productive.

How old are you? 60? I thought the whole anti-video game crowd realized how moronic and unfounded their views were back in the mid-90's.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win