Options

my Overdrive Pedal is done. Have a look!

TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys. After months of design and planning, not to mention a burning a hole in my wallet, I’ve got my final prototype of my Overdrive pedal done. I’m really happy with how it turned out. It’s basically a TS808 clone which I’ve modified and upgraded. Some of this is technical I guess, but that’s what you get from an electrical engineer. Paco, exhausted, mig, you guys know most of this I guess.

Pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/thirdstonefree/

Here’s what it includes:

RC4558P Opamp, but it has an 8-pin DIP socket so you can swap out opamps JRC4558D
High gain, low noise transistors
All metal film resistors – better quality, low noise
Metallized polyester film capacitors – optimal for audio and tone, low noise
Ground plane on the top side of the circuit board and single point chassis ground - low noise
3PDT true bypass switch
Bright blue LED
Board mounted jacks, switches, and pots for minimal signal path to minimize noise (point-to-point or long wires just add noise, turst me...the electrons don't care)
Orange powdercoat finish
Silk screen text/label on the face – Shannon is my last name by the way, hence the logo

Runs on a 9V battery or any regulated DC wall transformer from 9V to 18V
Has almost twice as much gain as the TS808, slightly less at lowest setting
Extended bass range in the mid hump
Internal switch for selecting between symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping. Symmetrical gives you original 808, while asymmetrical adds a diode to one side which increases the overall volume and gives you less compression and more even order harmonics.

And not to mention it’s built like a tank.

I love the sound of it. A TS808 at its full potential. Nice rich tone and can really push the front end of your tube amp.

I’d like to know what you guys think. I want to sell some of them, and at a reasonable price. Would this be something you’d be interested in? The TS808 reissues are going to be a rip off, and I think I’ve made a superior product compared to it. My overall design and quality is just as good, if not better than keeley or analogman. However, I’d want to keep my price reasonable though.

I’d appreciate any comments/feedback. Thanks guys.

Eric
my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I frickin' LOVE it! The internal picture is very nice...

I am a bit skeptical on board-mounted jacks, but with that case, I think they'll last a long time. Besides, if you just put it on a pedalboard and hard-wire it, it'll be fine.

The cosmetics are really nice, too... it looks very smooth. Powdercoating was the way to go, for sure.

What's the estimated price?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    Where did you get all this knowledge from man?That's great although I am completely ignorant about this stugg even though I am studying elecrical engineering too!!!!!!!!!!!!I am more into motors,power plant programming,power systems analysis etc...I want to learn too....but I can't find any books here in Greece about effects etc...
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    looks pretty good. when you get clips of it, let us know.
  • Options
    thanks mig. yeah, i know people are skeptical about board mounted jacks. i kept that in mind for my design. that's why i made all the board mounted parts interconnected. the walls of the enclosure take all the stress when inserting the plug. unless you really jam the plug in there and started jerking it back and forth would you put any stress on the jacks. even then, the board takes most of the stress. plus the jacks have a nice give to them when inserting a plug. they really grip the plug well. I knew I had to build this thing like a brick shithouse.

in terms of price, i'm not sure yet. i see the prices that keeley and analogman charge for new stuff and I think its way too much. I want to say around $135 or $140.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mogwai
    Where did you get all this knowledge from man?That's great although I am completely ignorant about this stugg even though I am studying elecrical engineering too!!!!!!!!!!!!I am more into motors,power plant programming,power systems analysis etc...I want to learn too....but I can't find any books here in Greece about effects etc...

its just been a hobby of mine for the past few years. i studied engineering at Purdue University and I've learned alot about effects building just through online research.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    in terms of price, i'm not sure yet. i see the prices that keeley and analogman charge for new stuff and I think its way too much. I want to say around $135 or $140.

A new Keeley TS9-808 mod is $155, last time I checked, so that's about right...

Trouble is, until people know who you are, they'll be skeptical.

Sound clips would be nice... be sure to post the entire signal path (including mic, preamp, and recorder) and let us know when you have something.

Hell, I'd almost be interested in one...
  • Options
    just through online research.

pretty much the only way to do it. alchemy. and a good background in analog circuits.

there are so few books about stompbox building. one of the best is called "the stompbox cookbook" but it's out of print. i had it out from the library for a while.
  • Options
    Very Very cool.

True, that you have to establish a reputation,,,, but hell, this is a good place to start. Right here.
    Can't wait to hear some clips.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Can't wait to hear some clips.

Fender Tele -> Shannon Overdrive -> Fender Twin Reverb -> Shure SM57 -> any good preamp -> computer

OR

Gibson Les Paul -> Shannon Overdrive -> Marshall 2203 -> Shure SM57...

I'd love to hear it.
  • Options
    Oh i know, the hard part is going to be the marketing and establishing my name. Without a doubt people are going to be skeptical. I want to get a few out there so I can get some good feedback.

The thing is though, I don't really have that the best of recording gear or playing ability to really show it off. I hope someone will take a chance with me at first and can supply some good sound clips like you said. i know keeley did this.

hell, I'd offer you guys a discounted price if you wanted to try it out. and if you could get me some solid sound clips, that would be great. if you really didn't like the pedal, i'd more than gladly give you a refund.
  • Options
    hell, I'd offer you guys a discounted price if you wanted to try it out. and if you could get me some solid sound clips, that would be great. if you really didn't like the pedal, i'd more than gladly give you a refund.

If I wasn't flat-assed broke, I would totally do that for you.

You could always send me one, and I could record some stuff... but I'm not exactly a hot-shit player, either.
  • Options
    Oh i know, the hard part is going to be the marketing and establishing my name. Without a doubt people are going to be skeptical. I want to get a few out there so I can get some good feedback.

The thing is though, I don't really have that the best of recording gear or playing ability to really show it off. I hope someone will take a chance with me at first and can supply some good sound clips like you said. i know keeley did this.

I'm all over it. I'll buy one sight unseen. I like to support this kind of stuff.
    Be kind, man
    I'm all over it. I'll buy one sight unseen. I like to support this kind of stuff.

go ahead and PM me if you're truly interested.

thanks.
  • Options
    you know what I'd really like to do? If I have the chance, I'd like to give both mike and stone one. don't get me wrong, i wouldn't be trying to get an endorsement or anything like that. but it would be fuckin awesome if they played my pedal on stage during the next tour.
  • Options
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?

You're a good man, Bob.
  • Options
    So, here's a question: Could you build a double box? Two tubescreamers in one, with independant switches?
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    So, here's a question: Could you build a double box? Two tubescreamers in one, with independant switches?

sure could, i actually have a couple of the right size boxes to do it.
  • Options
    sure could, i actually have a couple of the right size boxes to do it.

That's what I want...

I actually want the two Keeley TS9 mods... the 808, and the Baked... if you could do something like that, I'd be interested.
  • Options
    you know what I'd really like to do? If I have the chance, I'd like to give both mike and stone one. don't get me wrong, i wouldn't be trying to get an endorsement or anything like that. but it would be fuckin awesome if they played my pedal on stage during the next tour.

That's how Paul Reed Smith started. Paul gave Carlos Santana, a few other guitar players one of his guitars backstage. Carlos liked that one and gave birth to PRS

Carlos did the same with Mesa Boogie. Played Radall Smith's souped up Fender Princeton at Woodstock.
    Hell, maybe you ought to give Carlos one!:D
    And I am serious, by the way.
    Be kind, man
    That's what I want...

I actually want the two Keeley TS9 mods... the 808, and the Baked... if you could do something like that, I'd be interested.

Well, the easiest thing for me to do right now would be build up two of my units to the specs that you want. I could put them both in one unit, but I'd have to custom drill out the enclosure which would be in the bare aluminum finish. The reason I say custom drill it is because I have a company drill out my enclosures for me.

Do you already have two TS9s? Although I'd like to stay away from doing mods, I could do these mods for you.
  • Options
    Well, the easiest thing for me to do right now would be build up two of my units to the specs that you want. I could put them both in one unit, but I'd have to custom drill out the enclosure which would be in the bare aluminum finish. The reason I say custom drill it is because I have a company drill out my enclosures for me.

Do you already have two TS9s? Although I'd like to stay away from doing mods, I could do these mods for you.

No... my plan was to just buy them from Keeley new. He sells that pair for $295.

Basically, his 808 mod is just like your pedal now... and then the Baked has 3x the output.
  • Options
    MIG, I could definitely do that for you and I could offer the pair at a better price. don't forget, true bypass. if you are really interested, send me a PM.
  • Options
    also, what other type of pedal clones would you guys be interested in?

I've developed a prototype for the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer compressor from the 70s, but added a couple other features. That'll probably be my next product.
  • Options
    An Ibanez pink ad 9 analog delay. I have one, and I love it and have had it for years. Great pedal
    Be kind, man
    An Ibanez pink ad 9 analog delay. I have one, and I love it and have had it for years. Great pedal

i'd like to do a delay, but damn...they are really complex, especially analog. i've made i simple digital one before, but if i got into that it would have to be surface mount. Some modulation effects aren't too bad. I've been working on a Phase 90 clone.

i guess i should ask this then...what distortions that you like would make for a good clone?
  • Options

i guess i should ask this then...what distortions that you like would make for a good clone?

you name the distortion and it's already been cloned so the key is to try to find some twist on the original to make it stand out somewhat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    you name the distortion and it's already been cloned so the key is to try to find some twist on the original to make it stand out somewhat.

exactly. i guess its more of a question of what features would you like to see added to those pedals?
  • Options
    pretty much the only things left are adding options like switchable transistors etc. to popular circuits.

like a fuzz face with a toggle that chose between two very different transistor types or something since the type of transistor defines the personality.

of course, the above would be a PITA b/c the transistors are matched and use different resistor values for optimum sound. you're almost looking at switching between two circuit boards which isn't feasible.?

i'd really like a good fuzz though. the fulltone 69 is the most attractive to me right now.
  • Options
    MIG, I could definitely do that for you and I could offer the pair at a better price. don't forget, true bypass. if you are really interested, send me a PM.

I am REALLY interested...

But I'm broke...

Maybe in a few months?
  • Options
    no problem MIG. i know what you mean.