my effects pedal business is going

TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i went into meridian music here in indianapolis last week to see if they'd be interested in the overdrive pedal i've made. the guys in the store tried it out and were blown away by it! 3 of the 5 guitar instructors there bought one off of me over the weekend. one of the them said he used to own a fulltone fulldrive2 but said he like mine alot more. also, the manager of the guitar department agreed on a consignment deal to sell my overdrives. basically, they will stock 4 or 5 of my pedals at a time and for each one they sell, they take 10% of the final sale price and cut me a check for the rest. not a bad deal at all i think.

whats nice is that all the guys that work there are enthusiastic about selling it. these guys are all just really cool. it was just awesome to see their reaction to my pedal. made me feel so good. also, i brought my compressor prototype in too, and two of the guys there wanted to get one. i agreed to sell my other prototype of it to one of them. i've got to sell some overdrives first before i can start producing the compressor.

i'm so damn excited about this right now! i'm gonna probably go to some other independent guitar shops around the city this weekend to see if they'll do something similar. maybe be able to sell some to the employees there too.
my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    That is awesome man!!! One of these days I'm gonna pick one up...because really, everybody needs 3 distortion/overdrive pedals nowadays. ; )
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Congradulations man. That sounds really exciting. I will buy one when I'm done school in a year and a bit :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Congratulations

I know how good your overdrive is, because I have one! It is a great piece of work, and I wish the best to you.

Whatever else you make, I'll try out!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    thanks guys. and bob, are you gonna get yours back to me any time soon so i can mount that external switch? i guess you're pretty busy though. also, unless you like that volume mod i did, i was gonna change it back to the original spec, like i'm selling them now. oh, and thanks again for that review on HC.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's the Shannon overdrive right? How much were you selling them for again?

Congratulations, that's great news. The more people that have them the more people that will want them.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    It's the Shannon overdrive right? How much were you selling them for again?

Congratulations, that's great news. The more people that have them the more people that will want them.

yes sir...its the Shannon Overdrive. The store is going to sell them at $145, but i'm offering a direct early bird special of $130. The ones I make now have that clipping select switch located on the outside as suggested by bob. My whole approach for my business is to offer "boutique" pedals but without the boutique price. this will be my website address:

http://www.shannon-effects.com

i don't have a whole lot of experience at web site development, but hopefully i can get a decent page up in the near future.

and thanks paco. you know, if i can start to grow this thing and come up with more pedals, i'll need someone like yourself with a good all around knowledge of guitar related products to hire. how are your soldering skills?
    Soldiering.......yes I can soldier. I just can't make it pretty and I'm fairly slow. Most of mine get covered up with electrical tape as I'm used to joining wires toegther.

I need to put my Direct Drive up on Ebay and I like it a lot but I'm getting board with it. I'm getting my new Strat soon so a new overdrive would be really cool to play with too, It'd be pretty neat to get in early on the next big overdrive thing. If you can get it into the buzz bin in the back of Guitar World you'll sell plenty.

Bob's suggestion is a great one. Analogman now offers that option on a modded SD-1 so having it on a custom pedal is more of a reason to buy it in my opinion.

Two questions, how is it for clean boost and how are the harmonics when you push it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'm set for overdrives but i'd be interested in a really good clean boost if you decide to develop one at some point. mine's breaking down.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i'm set for overdrives but i'd be interested in a really good clean boost if you decide to develop one at some point. mine's breaking down.

We all could use a really clean boost with tons of headroom.

You know what I want. I want a combination compressor/clean boost kind of like Jacques model only less rubber Tonka truck looking. Something with amazing headroom and tons of clean volume before the amp starts to break up that would really bring out the quietest single coil. Then again with what it might take to build it, It might be to expensive to build. I think theres a market for that loud sparkling clean to just slight breakup especially from the blues/jazz players. 24V internal operating voltage would be a good start on headroom and harmonics though.
    Soldiering.......yes I can soldier. I just can't make it pretty and I'm fairly slow. Most of mine get covered up with electrical tape as I'm used to joining wires toegther.

good soldering just comes from experience and knowing a couple tricks, but you have to get a good iron first. i've got a hakko 936. its like $100 but well worth it. i've been using this model at work for the past 3 years. its a champ.

you're going to get an american duluxe ash strat right? i played the american duluxe fat strat this weekend and i'm in love with it. i'll probably sell my 60's mexican strat so i can get it.

in terms of being a clean boost, it works great. it does a similar thing to keeley's where it have less gain than a tube screamer would at the lowest setting. with the clipping switch set to asymmetrical, it works best. harmonics really start to come out the last 1/3 to 1/4 of a turn on the gain knob. the increase in overdrive at this point is less noticable, but the sustain and harmonics are increased. a couple of the guys in the music store liked to keep the gain towards the upper end and use the volume control on the guitar. you can ask bob what he thinks.

your pharoah is crapping out? what's it doing?
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    your pharoah is crapping out? what's it doing?

i can't get rid of the pop and capacitor replacement hasn't helped. etc.

it's not a big deal and it's still functional but i don't trust it anymore. fortunately, i bought it used and don't have much invested in it.

i would just buy a microamp but i don't like dunlop's methods.

and since i don't play live anyway, nothing's really criticical.
    We all could use a really clean boost with tons of headroom.

You know what I want. I want a combination compressor/clean boost kind of like Jacques model only less rubber Tonka truck looking. Something with amazing headroom and tons of clean volume before the amp starts to break up that would really bring out the quietest single coil. Then again with what it might take to build it, It might be to expensive to build. I think theres a market for that loud sparkling clean to just slight breakup especially from the blues/jazz players. 24V internal operating voltage would be a good start on headroom and harmonics though.

thats weird that you say that paco. cuz my compressor that i've prototyped works just like that. it doubles as a clean boost. flip a switch and it bypasses the compression circuit. the compressor is actually based off of the dan armstrong orange squeezer. uses an op amp to boost the signal. it has tons of volume, almost too much. one of the guys that tried my prototype out at the store primarily plays country and he was pretty impressed. one thing thats great about it is that its pretty quiet.
    i can't get rid of the pop and capacitor replacement hasn't helped. etc.

it's not a big deal and it's still functional but i don't trust it anymore. fortunately, i bought it used and don't have much invested in it.

i would just buy a microamp but i don't like dunlop's methods.

and since i don't play live anyway, nothing's really criticical.

pops when you hit the footswitch? did it not do it before?
    pops when you hit the footswitch? did it not do it before?

yeah. it's a switch pop. they all pop to some extent, including my compressor, but it's gotten worse over time. and it's leaking voltage to the LED when the effect's off too. meh. it still sounds good though.
    thats weird that you say that paco. cuz my compressor that i've prototyped works just like that. it doubles as a clean boost. flip a switch and it bypasses the compression circuit. the compressor is actually based off of the dan armstrong orange squeezer. uses an op amp to boost the signal. it has tons of volume, almost too much. one of the guys that tried my prototype out at the store primarily plays country and he was pretty impressed. one thing thats great about it is that its pretty quiet.

Cool
    I dig op amp based compressors. Especially the O squeezer, Just having a volume knob would be a big improvement over the original one with just the switch.

the thing is I want to use the compression with the clean boost. kind of blended. So I can still get the volume but My amp won't break up. It's a seemingly ridiculous Idea I know. The simple solution is to buy a higher volume amp for cleans. I'm just wondering If it can be done with only 2 EL-84's
    yeah. it's a switch pop. they all pop to some extent, including my compressor, but it's gotten worse over time. and it's leaking voltage to the LED when the effect's off too. meh. it still sounds good though.

the one downfall of true bypass is that slight pop. i've found the best way to help lessen it is to ground the input to the effect when it is turned off. i did this on my pedal and its less noticable and doesn't happen as frequently.
    Cool
    I dig op amp based compressors. Especially the O squeezer, Just having a volume knob would be a big improvement over the original one with just the switch.

what i did was actually add an external volume, gain, and bias knob along with the switch. the bias knob adjusts the amount of squish. the gain knob lets you compensate for output level of different pickups. turn the gain knob down for higher output and up slightly for single coils. he helps eliminate the distortion that would occur on the dan armstrong when playing hard. the gain and bias knobs kind of work hand in hand with each other for varying the compression. this thing can do a massive squish if you want it to with the gain and bias both turned up.
    what i did was actually add an external volume, gain, and bias knob along with the switch. the bias knob adjusts the amount of squish. the gain knob lets you compensate for output level of different pickups. turn the gain knob down for higher output and up slightly for single coils. he helps eliminate the distortion that would occur on the dan armstrong when playing hard. the gain and bias knobs kind of work hand in hand with each other for varying the compression. this thing can do a massive squish if you want it to with the gain and bias both turned up.

this is awesome. kudos for making a pedal with a twist instead of all the clones the market is flooded with.

That's excellent I love the spongy single coils especially of Teles and Strats especially with quite a bit of compression. It just rings and sustains forever on chords and blues/chicken pickin solos come to life. It's the reason I like the MXR dynacomp and the Keeley. The Orange Squeezer is one of the best compressors ever made for nice smooth guitar compression. I also really like the nuevo Ross copies. The keeley, Bi comprosser (OSqueezer) (Comprossor) My favorite is probably the Way Huge Saffron Squeeze but I pretty much love everything from Way Huge I'm just not paying for it.

So you are working on a fuzz too I'd wager?

It'd be pretty cool if you built some volume boosts/overdrive/fuzz/octave what ever inside an old Wah casing or custom wah casing whatever with the volume pot or gain whatever attached to the treadle. I've always wanted something like that. You have to be careful not to price yourself out of the market though.

So you are working on a fuzz too I'd wager?

It'd be pretty cool if you built some volume boosts/overdrive/fuzz/octave what ever inside an old Wah casing or custom wah casing whatever with the volume pot or gain whatever attached to the treadle. I've always wanted something like that. You have to be careful not to price yourself out of the market though.

i've made a fuzz before, but they're just not my thing. you've got to really have some good germanium transistors, which can be hard to come by. i really like that idea with the wah approach. would be very useful. way out of my league right now though.
    i've made a fuzz before, but they're just not my thing. you've got to really have some good germanium transistors, which can be hard to come by. i really like that idea with the wah approach. would be very useful. way out of my league right now though.

what about a stereo tremolo with the speed or panning attached to the treadle, cool.
    what about a stereo tremolo with the speed or panning attached to the treadle, cool.

now that would be awesome!

actually any type of modulation effect where you could do this would be useful. you're on to something here paco. would be very appealing.
  • Originally posted by Telesonic

I want one! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll pay up front if you need.

I just started playing with this crazy band with a Baritone sax, klezmer trumpet player, bass and drummer and writing something a little different. Sort of traditional music , Zappa style. They are all really fast players and I need a good compressor with a lot of fine tuning for "clean distortion" on a guitar with tapped humbuckers, because there are going to be a lot of mid song changes, if that makes any sense:).

Your overdrive does clean boost, but I really don't use that setting as much. I'll try it out as a clean tonight to test it, but my preference is a separate boost. A boost on the compressor is perfect for me.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

bypass switch has to be on it's own like the fulltone deja2. having the effect engaged with the treadle isn't as useful with modulation effects.
    bypass switch has to be on it's own like the fulltone deja2. having the effect engaged with the treadle isn't as useful with modulation effects.

definately.

I love the Deja 2 I still want a vibe and a fuzz I just can't bring myself to buy it yet.
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    I want one! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll pay up front if you need.

I just started playing with this crazy band with a Baritone sax, klezmer trumpet player, bass and drummer and writing something a little different. Sort of traditional music , Zappa style. They are all really fast players and I need a good compressor with a lot of fine tuning for "clean distortion" on a guitar with tapped humbuckers, because there are going to be a lot of mid song changes, if that makes any sense:).

Your overdrive does clean boost, but I really don't use that setting as much. I'll try it out as a clean tonight to test it, but my preference is a separate boost. A boost on the compressor is perfect for me.

well, i'll see what i can do bob. i only have two compressors right now. one i'm keeping as a demo unit and the other i just sold. i may be getting some prototype boards made for my phaser and distortion soon, so i could also have a couple more compressor boards made. they won't be all pretty like in my overdrive, but they are good boards none the less. i'll just have to put it in a bare aluminum enclosure if you don't mind either. then just use a permanent marker to label everything. thats what i've done with the two i have now. you'll love how low noise this thing is. i put it next to a dynacomp at the store last night, and its like a whisper compared to the dcomp at the same output level.

oh yeah, thats the way you've got to do it.
  • alowishisalowishis Posts: 16
    hey telesonic i have a question for you. i don't mean to bother you but you sound like someone who could help me. i have a mxr phase 90. i did the r28 mod to it and it worked fine for a while. now it is haveing a problem where it just starts crackling and poping. the effect goes away and there is no guitar sound just crackling and static. adjusting the knob doesn't affect it at all. sometimes it does it for a few minutes and then quits and works fine. any ideas of whats wrong. any help will be appreciated. also i live near indy and may have to come by meridian and check out your pedals. they sound very interesting.