Anyone SEE Some kind of Monster yet?

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
There are some great scenes!
A must see sit down with Mustaine and Lars
and all the trade secrets on how to write a shitty metal song are shared LOL.
Don't these guys realize how bad they are now?
The best part of it all is watching worthless Kirk get beat up all the time, they call him Stock and want to cut his solos. I have been saying for a decade how overrated he is, now his band fainlly caught on.
This movie made me realize how much I miss Cliff!
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I thought it was a great movie, especially all the outtakes.

Makes me wonder why Metallica is still at it. They don't seem to really like each other and they stopped making really good music a while ago.

One thing it should open people up to the fact that a lot of Metallica's so called street cred is very calculated on their part.

I figure they jumped the shark when they started releasing videos after vowing not to. But early Metallica is great.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • >This movie made me realize how much I miss Cliff!

cliff was the heart and soul of that band.

when he died the band died.
  • the unseen wrote:
    >This movie made me realize how much I miss Cliff!

cliff was the heart and soul of that band.

when he died the band died.
    I dunno...in a sense i agree, but then again ...And Justice for All is my favorite metallica album.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I dunno...in a sense i agree, but then again ...And Justice for All is my favorite metallica album.

right on.

cliffs influence was on that release,several songs were things he had been a part of,and i think the anger at his death makes it a pretty intense record,but i personally place it behind master of puppets.imo,that is one of the heaviest records of all time.i thought justice had a little bit of filler that made it seem a bit long.but still,i'll take that over anything that came after it......excpet maybe the first garage days jason played on.
  • awesome doco, i loved every minute of it
  • I refuse to give them any more money or support how lame they've become
    To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    I thought it was awesome.... makes you wonder how much they thought of the load and reload albums though. they said something about them being thrown together. Also makes you realise the shit that goes on in a band. I always thought a band was a group of best mates who all got along, now im actually in a band i realise its just 4 or whatever opinions everyone pulling in many directions trying to get what they want... add money, drugs and alcohol to it and it becomes a mess. It took balls for them to put it out there, regardless of what you think of them. The mustain / lars bit was pretty deep
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I just bought it and watched it yesterday....what an amazing band. The way they fight is EXACTLY like my band....only millions of dollars poorer. I remember a point in the movie where I actually said to myself "This is us"....so much that Lars even said exact words that I was saying only a week before.....kinda freaky. I haven't watched the extras yet, only the movie...but if their anything as good as the movie I give them two thumbs up....excellent show for ALL musicians to watch.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I just can't get over a couple things:
    1) Mustaine, geez man get a grip! I seriously think he thought about suicide.
    2) James, the man is a jerk, and the scene that Lars confronts him about rules is just worth the price for the rental.
    3) Kirk and how overrated he has been for years and years, they should have booted him a decade ago. I just don't understand why so many place him in a top 10 list. The guy is pretty terrible, even at his best he doesn't hold a candle to thousands of players. I wish everyone would remove his name from every list generated of famous solos, the guys is a wimp :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion JofZ....even though they might be completely WRONG.
    nailz100 wrote:
    I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion JofZ....even though they might be completely WRONG.

LOL, I tried to see the talent in this guy since I was 14. I just don't get it. Every time I saw them live, my friends and I would cherish the moments of his solos, seeing his hair blowing back as he steped to the front of the stage. He is just a poser, and Master of Puppets and Kill Em ALL where great albums, but I am confident that was do to Cliff, not James or Kirk. When you have the best bass player and a kick ass drummer holsing down the fort anyone sounds good LOL

Ride and Justice were good albums, but you could see they were already starting to show signs of a band who was around for way too long. By Black the band should have called it a career. This topic is one of my favorites, its fun to hear peoples opinions. My buds and I talk about it often.
    Our other favorite is Clapton, I say he could have croaked in 72-73 and we wouldn't have missed a thing, his career was pretty much over with. He shows up and plays and people ooh and aah. Give me a freakin break, listen to Beano and tell me he has anywhere near the same chops. His tone eeek, I have no clue who likes a 25 db mid bump, it sounds like a dying dog, just horrid.
    Ok, I feel better now LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    JofZ wrote:
    I just can't get over a couple things:
    1) Mustaine, geez man get a grip! I seriously think he thought about suicide.
    2) James, the man is a jerk, and the scene that Lars confronts him about rules is just worth the price for the rental.
    3) Kirk and how overrated he has been for years and years, they should have booted him a decade ago. I just don't understand why so many place him in a top 10 list. The guy is pretty terrible, even at his best he doesn't hold a candle to thousands of players. I wish everyone would remove his name from every list generated of famous solos, the guys is a wimp :)

I agree about Mustaine. I don't understand how he can feel he hasn't achieved anything. He left and formed a very successful band when there are a million bands out there that will never come close to the success of Megadeth.

James is a jerk but I admire him for changing somewhat. I admire all of them for putting the movie out there. It does not show them in the best light.

I don't understand your correlation between Kirk being a wimp and him (in your opinion) sucking at guitar. I thought it was cool when he said he tries to keep his ego down. I don't think getting into a pissing match with james or lars (like they do with each other the whole movie) would prove anything.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    Did anyone notice Kirk's hair plugs? That got me laughing pretty hard!

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
    rrivers wrote:
    I agree about Mustaine. I don't understand how he can feel he hasn't achieved anything. He left and formed a very successful band when there are a million bands out there that will never come close to the success of Megadeth.

James is a jerk but I admire him for changing somewhat. I admire all of them for putting the movie out there. It does not show them in the best light.

I don't understand your correlation between Kirk being a wimp and him (in your opinion) sucking at guitar. I thought it was cool when he said he tries to keep his ego down. I don't think getting into a pissing match with james or lars (like they do with each other the whole movie) would prove anything.

Kirk is a big puss, he obviously is upset with his place in the band. He is also obviously scared to death of james. If he wasn't he would stick up for himself. I like how he waits till he is one on one with the producers before he speaks his mind, the guy just has no clue. Kirk just doesn't have the personality, charisma or skills to be one of the all time greats. There is just some key ingredients missing. I would pay to watch SRV stand on a stage and do nothing, he has that much charm, ditto for Jimi, Page in his prime, and many, many more.Kirk, not a chance.
    Can't Satch find a place for him on his tour LOLOLOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Maybe you guys should start worrying about your own playing instead of cutting down one of the best bands of all time. What's next Pearl Jam?...you gonna start cutting them down??...or how bout downplaying Mcready again??...remember what with that conversation. The fact that you can judge someone soley by what you saw in a movie shows in fact how little you can comprehend and how ignorant you are. Its okay *pat pat* you can continue to live in your own little world.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Maybe you guys should start worrying about your own playing instead of cutting down one of the best bands of all time. What's next Pearl Jam?...you gonna start cutting them down??...or how bout downplaying Mcready again??...remember what with that conversation. The fact that you can judge someone soley by what you saw in a movie shows in fact how little you can comprehend and how ignorant you are. Its okay *pat pat* you can continue to live in your own little world.

YAWN, don't get your panties in a bunch. Its going to be OK, if my opinion of one your favorite bands changes how you feel about them, then maybe they aren't as great as you think they are. I try not to cut down people, but this is one guy that has just got to go. I am not sure what Metallica has to do with PJ. My opinions were just as strong prior to seeing the movie, I am just thrilled Kirks bandmates think the same of him as I do. Now what you should do is think about why they made the movie, gee ya think they are going to have a hard time selling albums? This band is a major corporation who employs and supports hundreds of familys, they lost their core focus long ago. I never lost mine!
    I never jump on bandwagons, in fact, I am the only republican that regulary posts on this site. I can see past all the BS, can you?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    JofZ wrote:
    ...I never jump on bandwagons, in fact, I am the only republican that regulary posts on this site. I can see past all the BS, can you?

Someone has a high opinion of themself.
    Sheesh,

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
    Man...nothing anybody says is going to change my opinion of them. Maybe you should just keep your negative opinions and comments to yourself instead of bogging people down with them. Tell you what...you believe whatever you want to believe and I'll believe what I want to believe. My only wish is for you to maybe try and picture what it is little being in shoes that big and maybe having a little bit of understanding, instead of pointing your philisophical finger at something you could never comprehend in a million years...because you've never been through it. If I have one pet peeve..then thats it.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Man...nothing anybody says is going to change my opinion of them. Maybe you should just keep your negative opinions and comment to yourself instead of bogging people down with them. Tell you what...you believe whatever you want to believe and I'll believe what I want to believe. My only wish is for you to maybe try and picture what it is little being in shoes that big and maybe having a little bit of understanding instead of pointing your philisophical finger and something you could never comprehend...because you've never been through it.

Never been in a place where I wasn't wanted or respected?
    I am not sure I understand. If he is that unhappy why stay? MONEY!!
    This thread is on a ton of boards and the responses are 50-50. I love the Masters and Kill em ALL, I try to remind myself all great things must eventually come to an end.
    There are many professional peformers who get in a rut and have stress from having to out do themselves time and time again. Thats what Legends are all about. I can only think of a few who could out do themselves night in, night out. MJ on the basketball court, SRV, Jimi with a guitar. You just knew you were in for something special when any of them took the stage/court/field. Frusciante had a in depth interview about this topic and he felt his playing was becoming sterile, so he just tossed out all technique and reinvented himself. I just don't see Kirk or Metallica for that matter dloing anything new, different or dangerous.
    Philosophy is a wonderful thing, and so are opinions. I will say this, I am pretty confident I can pull off many of his parts on the last album, who knows you might even like me better.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Mike McCready has a similiar kind of go with the flow attitude that Kirk has in Metallica. Just curious, how do you feel about Mike?
    rrivers wrote:
    Mike McCready has a similiar kind of go with the flow attitude that Kirk has in Metallica. Just curious, how do you feel about Mike?

Mike is way out of Kirks league, he can move an entire audience. His energy is amazing, expecially the last few shows I have seen. PJ works off each other, how can you compare the 2?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• jofz...where in the movie do any of the band members bash Kirk's playing...

no where!...

kirk is an amazing player who has written some of the greatest solo's of all time...

have you listened to any of his solo's?? try Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me, Master of Puppets, Creeping Death, Fade To Black, Unforgiven I and II, Four Horseman, Battery, To Live is To Die, One, Struggle Within..etc...

to call him overrated is the biggest crock of crap ive heard..

the guy is a legend...so what if he likes to be calm and not aggro...

and just so you know Metallica's list of albums go Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, Justice, Black, Load, Reload and St Anger...

not Kill, Puppets, Ride Justice..etc
    Carpe Diem Baby
  • Load and reload were classic albums imo, don't care what anyone says so what if they're not metal i had to be the one to say that! (there;s always one)
    For every tool they lend us...
    Exactly chrisw_30!
    JofZ wrote:
    Mike is way out of Kirks league, he can move an entire audience. His energy is amazing, expecially the last few shows I have seen. PJ works off each other, how can you compare the 2?

I wasn't comparing the two (though I think Kirk is a great player). My only point was about them both not having a real take charge kind of personality. You can tell in a few interviews (see Single Video Theory) that Mike is, or at least was, intimidated by Ed. I think it is similiar to Kirk and James (except James seems to be much more of an alpha male than Ed). I just don't see how Kirk's personality has anything to do with his playing.
  • ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    Some of the solos Kirk put out were amazing. You have no room to talk shit until you've sold millions of albums, and stayed in the forefront of music for twenty years.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
    That is the Exactly the point I was trying to get across. I just think people should know what its like to be in a certain situation before they critisize...it makes their statements alot more credible...
    nailz100 wrote:
    That is the Exactly the point I was trying to get across. I just think people should know what its like to be in a certain situation before they critisize...it makes their statements alot more credible...

Complete BS!
    Its OK there are people out there who think your hero is weak, or has been riding a wave of glory for too long. If you think I am the only one who has this opinion of the band or Kirk as a player you should get out more.
    I never made this a personal arguement, but since you did I will be more then happy to tell you about my personal success, will that make you feel better about my opinion? Probably not, just accept the fact that you know nothing about me, take your assumptions and leave them aside. There are many facts we can discuss about the so called Great Metallica. Where would you like to start?
    Lets strart with album sales stats:
    Their first 5 albums were all multi plat. Looks like St. Anger is in deep poop
    Metallica Sales Poor [7:20 pm]
    Yet, the Reuters Newswire fails to implicate P2P? Metallica Album Sales a ‘Bummer’ -Hetfield

“It’s a bummer,” Hetfield said. “In Europe it’s doing really good, and some other places … It is what it is. We can’t change that. We do our best and that’s all we can do.”

Drummer Lars Ulrich said “St. Anger” is Metallica’s best seller in Europe since its 1991 self-titled release, the so-called “black album,” and the band is preparing to launch its third “St. Anger” tour there in December.

“It’s a very challenging record,” Ulrich said of “St. Anger,” which was constructed by a computer program and features no guitar solos. He added that U.S. rock radio programmers seemed more interested in playing bands like Nickelback.

But first a quick look at all the other message board threads that think Kirk is overrated:
    http://www.houseofshred.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333
    http://www.stetina.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=10&topic=293&start=0
    http://www.metalflakes.com/bowlofflakes/showthread.php?t=9468

I know I have no idea what I am talking about because I am not in a top 40 band, GOD help me if that were ever the case. I enjoy what I do for a living.
    Next....
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

rrivers wrote:
    I wasn't comparing the two (though I think Kirk is a great player). My only point was about them both not having a real take charge kind of personality. You can tell in a few interviews (see Single Video Theory) that Mike is, or at least was, intimidated by Ed. I think it is similiar to Kirk and James (except James seems to be much more of an alpha male than Ed). I just don't see how Kirk's personality has anything to do with his playing.

I just don't see how Kirk's personality has anything to do with his playing.[/quote]
    I see what you are saying, but bands are like marriage and everyone needs to know when to put up a fight and when to cave in to keep the realtionship healthy, its called cooperation. As far as you stamenent above, it is a bit bothersome, the only thing a musician has is his/her personality, that is what you hear. Talent, skill its just that, without interpretation which has to do with personal influences and upbringing there is no way for someone to truley own anything unless they put their own stamp on it. That is the difference, I know many technical players who all suck balls because they are lifeless. For me a great player is way more then technique, I guess thats why there are so many unhappy people here, they spend too much time on a computer and not enough time interacting with PEOPLE.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    There are some great scenes!
    A must see sit down with Mustaine and Lars
    and all the trade secrets on how to write a shitty metal song are shared LOL.
    Don't these guys realize how bad they are now?
    The best part of it all is watching worthless Kirk get beat up all the time, they call him Stock and want to cut his solos. I have been saying for a decade how overrated he is, now his band fainlly caught on.
    This movie made me realize how much I miss Cliff!

Im sorry dude but i went to see Megadeth the other week and Mustaine was as awesome as he has always been!Whether u like his music or not the guy is one hell of a guitar player!As for Lars and Kirk yup theyre both wankers!
    Cornell pwns u