OK, FLeabay is out of control, or is it? :)

2»

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    How are they getting this wood? from illegal logging is my only guess.

That reminds me of the smut movie in the Big Lebowski...

Log Jammin'

:D

You said "wood." lol
    There's No Code.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    depends on the stock, many fine wood houses bought up tons of pre 92 stock and they use it sparingly. it dosen't take a lot to make a fretboard.

I've played a used PRS solid brazillian neck it's nice but I'm not that appealed.

I loved it on acoustic guitars.

Want to move to brazil and start a rosewood farm?

I find it very interesting, guitars, oil companys, furniture companys all want the stuff that is illegal because it demands top dollar. I was curious if anyone else thought that maybe some of our beloved guitar companies were doing things they shouldn't be :)
    I read an article that said most brazilian rosewood is worthless due to the natural twisting of the tree during growth and that luthiers go through a ton of lumbar to find small batches that are worthy of a guitar. I also know you have to clearcut a ton of forest to get to the rosewoods, sounds like a sad day if you were a tree.
    I was going to start buying raw lumbar cause I have so much free time LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    House53 wrote:
    That reminds me of the smut movie in the Big Lebowski...

Log Jammin'

:D

You said "wood." lol
    I actually saw a Big Lebowski LP frame on a fan club mobile not long ago, I was crackin up in traffic. It is one of those movies that probably was in the theaters for a day and has become a cult classic :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    JofZ wrote:
    I think the Edge is very overrated, not that it takes anything away from him. But I don't think he could pull off any other style other then his own. If you start taking away all his effects you are left with pretty close to nothing substantial. His axes are amazing, his amps are too die for, his stomp boxes are rack effects are just blah:)
    YOu are exactly right, too much money and no taste hehehe

But isn't the idea to have your own style. I will think I have arrived if I ever get a recognizable style. An it's not like Edge's style holds him back from branching out into different types of music. War to Unforgettable Fire to Zooropa to some songs done acoustically in concert is a wider range of styles than most guitarists show.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    That's what's hilarious, John Mayer, certainly uses his. The edge, just has a crap load of money, his signature sound is mostly digital delay anyway and there were only 4 built, the aqua puss would be better to buy up for touring. Hell he's using a custom built DM Pro from Line 6 on this tour for his distortion sound. Now that, is funny.

This is an example of lots of money and 0 sense.

if it works for him, who's to slag him. as of the guy doesn't know how to get the tones he wants.

as much as i am not in a U2 frame of mind, i respect the edge a lot. one of the few original styles of the last 20 years quite honestly.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:

if it works for him, who's to slag him. as of the guy doesn't know how to get the tones he wants.

as much as i am not in a U2 frame of mind, i respect the edge a lot. one of the few original styles of the last 20 years quite honestly.

I wasn't actually talking about the edge and taste, I was talking about the price of this effect.

600 MS of analog delay for 3 grand. That seems kind of silly to me. Who am I to talk I'm about to spend 3 hundred on a distortion booster.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ah. sorry. i misunderstood.

if i had the edge's resources, i'd probably be a collecting fiend too. for instance, i probably would have hired bolivian mercenaries to capture kurt cobain's jaguar by now.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:

if i had the edge's resources, i'd probably be a collecting fiend too. for instance, i probably would have hired bolivian mercenaries to capture kurt cobain's jaguar by now.

with that kind of money they could be free trade mercenaries.

It's so hard to find good mercenaries these days......
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    exhausted wrote:

Bolivian's do make GOOD mercenaries. Nice choice. :D
    There's No Code.
    surferdude wrote:
    But isn't the idea to have your own style. I will think I have arrived if I ever get a recognizable style. An it's not like Edge's style holds him back from branching out into different types of music. War to Unforgettable Fire to Zooropa to some songs done acoustically in concert is a wider range of styles than most guitarists show.

I think U2 is one of the most recognizable bands ever. They have proven time and time again that they have staying power. The Edge is a very interesting guitarist and I personally think he is embarassed by the attention he gets, maybe feeling some of it is undeserving. What ever the case is he does have a unique sound and tone all of his own. My point was if you strip out the effects what is left? I am not saying he is a bad guitarist, just that he relies on stuff that maybe at this point in his career he shouldn't be. I am impressed that for a guy who could barely play a couple chords when the band started has come as far as he has. Is he one of the greatest? Probably not, one of the most recognizable? Absolutely.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I think U2 is one of the most recognizable bands ever. They have proven time and time again that they have staying power. The Edge is a very interesting guitarist and I personally think he is embarassed by the attention he gets, maybe feeling some of it is undeserving. What ever the case is he does have a unique sound and tone all of his own. My point was if you strip out the effects what is left? I am not saying he is a bad guitarist, just that he relies on stuff that maybe at this point in his career he shouldn't be. I am impressed that for a guy who could barely play a couple chords when the band started has come as far as he has. Is he one of the greatest? Probably not, one of the most recognizable? Absolutely.

I like that he named himself The Edge. It's like that Dana Carvey comedy special about Sting.

"He named himself a verb... present tense!"

That's pretty cool. I think I need a new name, for my stage persona. Maybe, The Gear Slut.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I like that he named himself The Edge. It's like that Dana Carvey comedy special about Sting.

"He named himself a verb... present tense!"

That's pretty cool. I think I need a new name, for my stage persona. Maybe, The Gear Slut.

LOL, I always got a kick out of it myself. Sting is way cooler then The Edge IMO ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?